• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
YES open world in JP setting man!!!

erhcannot wait for this i wonder if they will use some infamous tech

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Oh yes, this is gonna melt faces graphically and I expect a great in game atmosphere.

Sony 1st party has a pretty good track record this gen when it comes to delivering some of the best visuals we've seen.
Infamous: Second Son, The Order, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, Horizon, God Of War, Detroit and I think its going to continue with Spider Man this year.

But I could see Ghost Of Tsushima putting the cherry on top and besting all these games. I think we are really in a for massive visual treats with Ghost Of Tsushima, The Last Of Us and Death Stranding as the last hoorays of this generation.
They will all end up being among the best looking games of the generation and therefore the best looking games of all time by the time they release.
And I kind of have a feeling that Ghost Of Tsushima will blow us away the most out of these three.

Exciting times.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
the art direction in the trailer is really good. even if it may come short technically from Uncharted and Horizon. it'll still be really easy on the eyes I think.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Sony 1st party has a pretty good track record this gen when it comes to delivering some of the best visuals we've seen.
Infamous: Second Son, The Order, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, Horizon, God Of War, Detroit and I think its going to continue with Spider Man this year.

But I could see Ghost Of Tsushima putting the cherry on top and besting all these games. I think we are really in a for massive visual treats with Ghost Of Tsushima, The Last Of Us and Death Stranding as the last hoorays of this generation.
They will all end up being among the best looking games of the generation and therefore the best looking games of all time by the time they release.
And I kind of have a feeling that Ghost Of Tsushima will blow us away the most out of these three.

Exciting times.

Really can't argue with any of that.
End of the gen is when Sony first party really hones in on incredible visuals, and we've been spoiled already since 2014.

Exciting times indeed!

Are they using their own engine or something else?

It is their own proprietary engine. Likely an improved version of the one from Infamous SS.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was curious to know how "ghost" translated to Japanese (亡霊、英霊、精霊、魂). I think it makes us easier to guess the setting of the game like the thing about supernatural stuff and such. So I browsed Playstation Japan site and they just calls the game "Ghost of Tsushima" ('A`)

Well, the O in Ghost is actually inspired by Mon (Kamon), or traditional Japanese family crests/emblems. This one is made up to be Jin's (main Samurai dude) family crest, which they consulted with Japanese families in Tsushima (actual descendents of the samurai who fought for Tsushima in 1274) about rather the logo looked right or not. I think it's good. Let's just say they aren't planning to take this historical period lightly.

This was all in that 50 minute psx talk btw.

But yeah, no one besides Japanese history buffs would know about this, and the logo would look bland and uninspired otherwise. Unless they explain the logo in the game, which they surely will seeing how it's the main characters family crest.
Kamon is usually monocolor. I think white & red combination is the problem here if it's actually a kamon.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grounded or fantasy, I hope this game is not mainly lone wolf. I want samurai gang with interesting characters, maybe 7 of them.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
The hype I'm feeling is very reminiscent of The Order 1886 and look how that turned out. I'm going to keep it in check until I see some solid gameplay

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But yeah, no one besides Japanese history buffs would know about this, and the logo would look bland and uninspired otherwise. Unless they explain the logo in the game, which they surely will seeing how it's the main characters family crest.
I know what a Mon crest is, yet the first thing I thought the first time I saw the logo was: "It's kind of a fast-forward symbol but using vertical orientation".
It's only a little nitpick, let's see how the game plays (hopefully this E3).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All i want is a realistic game, no supernatural and whatnot

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I will devour this game as I devoured Nioh. Give me this setting/theme all day, every day. Paired with a more than capable dev team like Sucker Punch and I'm good to go. I cannot wait to get my hands on this game.
Sony first party, keep going in!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I really want this game to be the like Horizon and redeems Sucker Punch.
Infamous Ps4 was a pretty mediocre game, but the long development time means that this project is ambitious, I want SP to deliver something that can improve their image, like Horizon was to Guerrilla after the terrible KZ Shadow Fall.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infamous Ps4 was a pretty mediocre game, but the long development time means that this project is ambitious, I want SP to deliver something that can improve their image, like Horizon was to Guerrilla after the terrible KZ Shadow Fall.
Sucker Punch does not need redemption.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Infamous Ps4 was a pretty mediocre game
There's nothing to redeem. Infamous: Second Son was a launch window game that blew every other console game away in the graphics department. It's still one of the absolute best looking games on the platform. On top of that, I thought it was a good game full stop.

IMHO it was the best game on PS4 until The Witcher 3 came out; I enjoyed it way more than Uncharted 4 for example. The only knock against it was that the open world looked great, but felt lifeless, and that was clearly a byproduct of rushing the game to meet launch window. They've had four full years to work on Ghosts of Tsushima; I have big expectations.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing to redeem. Infamous: Second Son was a launch window game that blew every other console game away in the graphics department. It's still one of the absolute best looking games on the platform. On top of that, I thought it was a good game full stop.

IMHO it was the best game on PS4 until The Witcher 3 came out; I enjoyed it way more than Uncharted 4 for example. The only knock against it was that the open world looked great, but felt lifeless, and that was clearly a byproduct of rushing the game to meet launch window. They've had four full years to work on Ghosts of Tsushima; I have big expectations.
It also sold really well, coming second to Titanfall which released 10 days earlier on 2 platforms.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sucker Punch does not need redemption.

We have different opinions, Infamous SS really disappointed me, the game looks good but I don't think that this is enough to consider it a good game by any means.
In fact I didn't like Infamous 2 either, the saga for me is getting worse with every new game.

And yeah, I know that SS was a rushed launch window game, that's the main reason I think that SP can do something better this time, specially gameplay wise.
I played all the Infamous games and enjoyed them more or less, but all of them are IMO unpolished games with lots of bad gameplay decisions and lack of variety.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I was curious to know how "ghost" translated to Japanese (亡霊、英霊、精霊、魂). I think it makes us easier to guess the setting of the game like the thing about supernatural stuff and such. So I browsed Playstation Japan site and they just calls the game "Ghost of Tsushima" ('A`)

How about this from Twitter?

CavZee

Nov 6, 2017
I can't wait to see this game. Of all the known Sony 1st party appearances, this gets me the most excited.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
This could be the closest we get to a Ninja Scroll game. Really excited about this, I hope it delivers.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I haven't played any of these guys' games apparently. How's their gameplay track record generally? Tight mechanics, good control etc.?

I'm really into the concept and visuals shown so far, just wondering what to expect gameplay wise.

Nov 12, 2017
We have different opinions, Infamous SS really disappointed me, the game looks good but I don't think that this is enough to consider it a good game by any means.
In fact I didn't like Infamous 2 either, the saga for me is getting worse with every new game.

And yeah, I know that SS was a rushed launch window game, that's the main reason I think that SP can do something better this time, specially gameplay wise.
I played all the Infamous games and enjoyed them more or less, but all of them are IMO unpolished games with lots of bad gameplay decisions and lack of variety.

Unpolished is not the word I would use to describe sucker punch games. A mile wide but an inch deep might be a better phrase.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
God, I really hope those two pieces make it into the final game. They look incredible and I just want to explore areas like those so damn much.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be awesome to explore this new open world. The concept art is stunning, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sucker Punch can do with the combat and traversal mechanics. I heartily enjoyed the inFamous series, but I'm really excited to see what they bring with this new IP.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Grounded or fantasy, I hope this game is not mainly lone wolf. I want samurai gang with interesting characters, maybe 7 of them.

giphy.gif

Other acceptable numbers: 13 and 47.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Unpolished is not the word I would use to describe sucker punch games. A mile wide but an inch deep might be a better phrase.

Yeah, I think this description is apt, especially for Second Son. I mostly just chalk it up to being a launch game with a new protagonist on completely different hardware from their previous efforts.

They already have the technical chops, and their games feel great in motion. I can't wait to see what they can do with a fresh setting, and plenty of time to flesh out the gameplay. This is their longest development cycle ever, on a console they've already had plenty of time with. Could be something special.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
You're right, especially regarding side missions. Anything that wasn't part of the main story in the infamous games was just so bland, the likes of which you expect from the old Ubisoft template.

If all the sidequests are as engaging and intricately structured as the ones they showed in the demo, then I think the game won't have the usual sucker punch problems. Given how long they've worked on this game, I feel like that is a fair assumption.