• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
This game probably got started sometime in 2014. In late 2017, the game was announced with teaser-ish trailer. The game was announced shortly after Sony said they didn't want to announce games too early anymore so that was kind of funny. At e3 2018, the game was introduced at Sony's very controversial e3 2018. It still didn't have much of a HUD, but it showed the gameplay approach they were going for, just without much or any details to give context to what we saw. Despite the lack of gameplay information, it did look very pretty. Sony as a whole skipped e3 2019 and showed the game at the end of the year at the TGAs. The TGA trailer was mostly a cinematic trailer to give more story information, but there was only 15 seconds of gameplay footage with all of it being traversal.

The game is finally coming out in two months but is still being buried promotion wise by the bigger Last of Us 2. Obviously COVID-19 has impacted any preview events Sony would have liked to have done, but it's hard exactly to pinpoint when they could have a preview event for Ghost before the release of The Last of Us 2 regardless as they're focusing on TLOU2. The game has looked fine from the very limited footage we have seen, but this has just been a little bit of a weird promotional campaign.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Sony's marketing has been awful for the past few years. Really feels like incompetence with no proper planning.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Days Gone and it's honestly a little worrying because the game seems interesting.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I don't know what the issue is. Covid changed all plans. They cannot do a regular press hands on anymore. They are also trying to figure out how to advertise the game.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Sony's marketing has been awful for the past few years. Really feels like incompetence with no proper planning.

Umm....their games usually sell like hot cakes. TLoU2 is a bestseller on Amazon and Ghost of Tsushima special editions are sold out. Seems their marketing is working just fine. Incompetence is the last word I'd use

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It has certainly been unorthodox, but honestly the word around the game is very positive. My knee jerk reaction would be to agree that they need to show more... but their plan seems to be working so far? Plus it will certainly be metaphorically center-stage after TLOU2 releases. I'll agree that it's odd, but it's working!

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Days Gone and it's honestly a little worrying because the game seems interesting.
Days gone was shown at every show at every possible moment. We had a hour of gameplay out there a year before the game was out. It's absolutely nothing like ghost where only thing ppl can do is point you to a 2018 scripted gameplay demo that's two years old when the game out in two months

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I agree its weird. Maybe they dont trust the game. Even before COVID, Sucker Punch has been very very quiet on the game systems and any details regarding the open world outside of no waypoints. Last time I saw this amount of caginess was No Man's Sky.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The Last of Us Part II has begun its promotional campaign with the new trailer this week, I wouldn't worry right now because Sony seems to be more focused on marketing closer to release. It seems to be true even for their hardware, since we haven't seen the console.

I'd worry if we get one month before release with no marketing campaign.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
The December trailer has nearly 3millions while the recent March one has under 300k, so I does seem like it might have gotten buried at little. But only currently. I don't think it'll be that hard to ram this back into peoples minds in a short space of time. I think we sometimes overestimate how long/in-depth marketing campaigns need to be.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah it's insane. This game looks right up my alley but because we know next to nothing about it I still don't know if it's something I want to buy.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried. The games Sony doesn't do a great job of advertising are its smaller titles. I saw Days Gone brought up as if that game hasn't already gone past 5 million copies sold and was relatively well received by general audiences.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people so unnecessarily "worried" about this game in particular

I am not worried about the game, I'm just doing a casual observation as I remembered today that the game comes out in two months.

Nintendo was pretty quiet on Animal Crossing until a month before release and it obviously went very well, but Ghost has even more weirdness than Animal Crossing New Horizons had as Ghost is not an established franchise and has had less gameplay footage.

Oct 24, 2019
Why are people so unnecessarily "worried" about this game in particular

There's always concern trolling about Sony first party games. It's like clockwork. I was just talking about this on another thread, so I'll put some of the past narratives here as well:

Uncharted 4: unnecessary sequel with shoehorned brother.

Horizon: no way the game will look/play as good in reality as it did in the promos.

God of War: Sony only makes sad bearded dad sims now.

Spider-Man: Puddlegate

Days Gone: zombie fatigue (while hypocritically hyping up Resident Evil 2)

The Last of Us 2: where to even begin lol. This will be the Last Jedi moment, concern trolling over dogs, SJW agenda, yada yada yada

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They showed off a whole hour of days gone while the release date was still about a year off. (This was even so early that you can spot some cut content like the moral decisions)

In comparison we've really seen barely anything from Ghost's gameplay

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I was just thinking about the marketing for this because I just found the pin I got from the first reveal awhile ago

FCDn2S7.png

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I still dont know what this game is..

Can always look it up?https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ghost-of-tsushima-ps4/

Venture beyond the battlefield to experience feudal Japan like never before. In this open-world action adventure, you'll roam vast countrysides and expansive terrain to encounter rich characters, discover ancient landmarks, and uncover the hidden beauty of Tsushima. Explore meticulously-crafted regions showcasing diversity of life on the sprawling island—from billowing fields and tranquil shrines to ancient forests, villages and stark mountainscapes. Find peace in the quiet moments of natural harmony and solace in the moments you'll share with the people you help along the way.

The Mongol enemy is unpredictable and formidable in warfare and weaponry. Get the upper hand by adapting Jin's skills and learning new tactics to defend the island and protect the people of Tsushima. Challenge opponents head-on in close quarters with your katana for a unique immersive samurai combat experience. Master the bow to eliminate distant threats with lethal precision. Develop stealth and deception tactics to disorient and ambush enemies with surprise attacks. An adaptive landscape and organic approach to combat makes Tsushima the perfect playground for mixing and matching skills, weapons, and tactics to find the perfect combat blend for your play style. As Jin's story unfolds, versatility and creativity will become your greatest weapons.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): antagonising another member, drive-by platform warring
You tend to do this with every Sony exclusive, why?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Why are you so concerned?
If I'm not mistaken, there were no hands-on impressions from journalists or players at events at all

I really dont remember such a big AAA game being so secretive. Do you?

So is it wrong to feel weird about it?

PS: I'm really hyped for it, I think it will be amazing ... But yeah, it's different marketing, to say the least

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What's the point of promoting it now? We got a story trailer a month ago and a bigger one at the games awards. All recieved with positive reception. They will obviously ramp it up once it's only one month until release.

I really don't get all this worry about games that are so close to being finished. It will likely be a decent game and sell just fine.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I am not worried about the game, I'm just doing a casual observation as I remembered today that the game comes out in two months.

Nintendo was pretty quiet on Animal Crossing until a month before release and it obviously went very well, but Ghost has even more weirdness than Animal Crossing New Horizons had as Ghost is not an established franchise and has had less gameplay footage.
Ghost's momentum is Sony's IPs momentum. I'm pretty sure they are safe with this until the marketing campaign really begins.

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing hasn't kicked in for the game yet. It's not strange. The focus is on TLoU2.

I feel like the same thing has happened with other Sony games this gen, notably GoW. Plus COVID-19 and all that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really don't know what Sony has been doing for the last two years, in terms of marketing. Fingers crossed this is a really good game. I have the money sat ready for it on my ps4

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I believe COVID really fucked Sony marketing plans for Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us and the PS5.
With that being said they still have time for a final push after The Last of Us is released.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I'm also worried. We haven't seen much. Yes it will be beautiful as always with SP. But their track record isn't giving me confidence honestly. Infamous games are very forgettable

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
We haven't seen a proper gameplay video of the game and it's out in a couple of months. Infamous Second Son had so many gameplay videos and impressions well before launch. It actually makes me worried that Sucker Punch is hiding something. Either that or Sony is just not concerned about the title getting enough marketing. Maybe the preorder numbers were really good where they thought they would save money? Not sure. We can only speculate at this point.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
There is nothing weird about this, Covid19
The marketing hasn't kicked in for the game yet. It's not strange. The focus is on TLoU2.

I feel like the same thing has happened with other Sony games this gen, notably GoW. Plus COVID-19 and all thay.
Exactly, I think these threads while ok, people who don't like Sony or Sony games always tends to abuse them.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The game is still two months out. They'll start marketing it hard post-TLOU I'm sure.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen far more gameplay of Tsushima than Halo or even Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Doesn't seem that strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.