• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to prejudge the film based on this, but man, this trailer is dreck.

When I think of what makes Ghostbusters great, to me, it's hilarious dialogue, charming characters, great writing, and a hybrid goofy-eerie tone. Literally none of that is on display in this trailer.

Why is it so serious? Where are the jokes? Is "Remember that time we all died under a table" an example of the wit this movie has to offer?

And why do these nostalgia-driven projects always seem to have this reverent, awed treatment of the old props? Ecto-1 and PKE meters are cool and all, but they're just props. Putting them in a movie doesn't make it Ghostbusters.

I dunno. Like I say, I'm not going to go all ragey and dismiss the movie, especially since we haven't seen any of the returning cast, but this trailer seems to have some really weird ideas about what people want to see in a Ghostbusters film.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I don't want to prejudge the film based on this, but man, this trailer is dreck.

When I think of what makes Ghostbusters great, to me, it's hilarious dialogue, charming characters, great writing, and a hybrid goofy-eerie tone. Literally none of that is on display in this trailer.

Why is it so serious? Where are the jokes? Is "Remember that time we all died under a table" an example of the wit this movie has to offer?

And why do these nostalgia-driven projects always seem to have this reverent, awed treatment of the old props? Ecto-1 and PKE meters are cool and all, but they're just props. Putting them in a movie doesn't make it Ghostbusters.

I dunno. Like I say, I'm not going to go all ragey and dismiss the movie, especially since we haven't seen any of the returning cast, but this trailer seems to have some really weird ideas about what people want to see in a Ghostbusters film.
you really got all that from a two minute teaser, eh?

no comedy, serious business, well that's it wrap it up

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
why yes i did notice that you contradicted yourself in your post

There is no contradiction. If you can be excited about the movie based on the trailer but still not be positive you will love it—which I think you can agree is a reasonable position to take—then it's also reasonable that I can be less excited about the movie based on the trailer but not be positive I won't love it. Which is precisely what my post conveys.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I was expecting the worst but then....huh.... could actually be interesting? Also: Was that just me or was there a bearded Paul Rudd in there somewhere?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Ill watch it and it will likely be better than the 2016 movie but damn that trailer was dull as shit

Also its an understandable direction to take but it just feels so trite now when you see these years later-sequels go the "rediscover a beloved history" route post-Force Awakens.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
It will flop...people are getting extremely tired of sequels that have a big gap from the previous movies or are coming after reboots that flooped (just like Dark Fate after Genisys).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Does this movie de-canonize GB2? The car has the old logo, and there's no reference to the other major event in New York. On the other hand, the line "there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years" brings us back to 1990.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
People sure seem convinced that a movie with Paul Rudd and a cast of children isn't going to have any comedy in it huh.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
People sure seem convinced that a movie with Paul Rudd and a cast of children isn't going to have any comedy in it huh.

There will definitely be comedy, especially with the old cast involved, but you have to admit it's a weird choice not to show any of it in a trailer. And the one example of a "joke" they did throw in there wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
They simply wanted to focus on the new characters instead of the old ones i would assume...they're supposed to stand on their own after all.

Also: after thinking about it some more and after having watched Living with Yourself recently, i'd be MORE than fine with this featuring bearded Paul Rudd and 3 of his asshole clones instead of the kids lol

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
There will definitely be comedy, especially with the old cast involved, but you have to admit it's a weird choice not to show any of it in a trailer. And the one example of a "joke" they did throw in there wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring.
This trailer clearly aimed for a tone of adventure and mystery instead of jokes.
Hopes in Murray/Akroyd carrying any of the energy or humor they had thirty five years ago feels horribly misplaced and blind to the fact that they were the worst, least funny parts of GB2016, a movie a lot of people in this thread hate.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, some folks are so frigging cynical and jaded. Just impossible to please.

If they play up nostalgia, it's a cheap attempt at pulling at your fond memories of the original. If it distances itself, tweaks the tone, and tries to present the series from a different perspective, then it "doesn't feel like >insert franchise here<!"

The trailer was solid. The premise is standard fair, but that's not a negative if the execution is good. They're definitely running wild with the stranger things imagery, but I'm very intrigued by it.

Then again, I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan that enjoyed the original, the sequel, the 2016 reboot, and the video game that was essentially Ghostbusters 3. I'm always up for new entries in the series, even if the tone and style are wildly different from one another.
*applause*

new clip with paul rudd - really looking forward to this now.
*thunderous applause*

Does this movie de-canonize GB2? The car has the old logo, and there's no reference to the other major event in New York. On the other hand, the line "there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years" brings us back to 1990.
Nope nothing is de-canonized, as far as we know even the video game is in play since they all referred to it as the third movie during production. It's been theorized that Ecto-1A is a second car, as there's apparently a brief sequence in GB2 where you can see the license plate says Ecto-2, meaning it was intended to be a new, second Ectomobile. There's also speculation that all of the extra shit on the 1A was "We're back!!!" flashy marketing crap that they took off after some time.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It will flop...people are getting extremely tired of sequels that have a big gap from the previous movies or are coming after reboots that flooped (just like Dark Fate after Genisys).

I don't know if it'll flop, but I definitely think its box office will be more of a reflection of general audience's desire for another Ghostbusters film more than it'll be a reflection of the film's quality. There are good sequels that do poorly and bad sequels that do well, and I feel like much of it just depends on the property first and foremost.

Really hope the next trailer for this includes a bit more comedy. Gil Kenan did solid with Monster House, but even that film wasn't much of a comedy.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a teaser. Rewatch The Force awakens teaser, it's the same playbook. Did you see any of the old faces? Nope, the only familiar face you see is the falcon.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was a bad trailer for a ghostbusters movie

did not recall any feeling frlm the originals

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I personally enjoyed the trailer - but not sure I'm keen on 'kids' saving the day and being the Ghostbusters.

SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
Took a couple of watches, but I'm genuinely intrigued. Had 2016 not occured, I could imagine a first trailer that leaned a lot more on the comedy hi-jinx angle, but they were probably right to steer this in a different direction.

Having said that, there were a few elements that got an emotional response from me. The musical cue at 1:30 is straight out of the originals, so instant feels there. And then there's the, "call it fate.." line that seems like a direct reference to the first movie:

Dr. Peter Venkman: For whatever reasons, Ray, call it... fate, call it luck, call it karma, I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe that we were destined to get thrown outta this dump.

Couple that with the few visual references and I think it actually did a pretty successful job at lip service. Now I just hope they stick the landing.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Took a couple of watches, but I'm genuinely intrigued. Had 2016 not occured, I could imagine a first trailer that leaned a lot more on the comedy hi-jinx angle, but they were probably right to steer this in a different direction.

Having said that, there were a few elements that got an emotional response from me. The musical cue at 1:30 is straight out of the originals, so instant feels there. And then there's the, "call it fate.." line that seems like a direct reference to the first movie:

Dr. Peter Venkman: For whatever reasons, Ray, call it... fate, call it luck, call it karma, I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe that we were destined to get thrown outta this dump.

Couple that with the few visual references and I think it actually did a pretty successful job at lip service. Now I just hope they stick the landing.

they lifted it right from the first movie.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It looks... fine? Doesn't really feel like Ghostbusters but rather it's own thing with some GB nostalgia peppered in. But still, I emphasize it's own thing and not 2016's "let's make Ghostbusters again but bad/unfunny this time" so that's a step in the right direction. And hey, Paul Rudd! And retconning!

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I hope this is just a badly cut trailer. I really like the look of the film. The cast is great. But that trailer was not good.....

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They simply wanted to focus on the new characters instead of the old ones i would assume...they're supposed to stand on their own after all.

Also: after thinking about it some more and after having watched Living with Yourself recently, i'd be MORE than fine with this featuring bearded Paul Rudd and 3 of his asshole clones instead of the kids lol

Yes, then focus on Rudd and make him a Ghostbuster than focusing on some boring ass kids. I didn't mind this genre when Super 8 did it, but then it got copied to hell and it's just so uninteresting and unoriginal now. Not what I expected out of a sequel.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I was a bit disappointed at first viewing because I was looking for similarities to the OG and the music, color pallet, rural setting and cinematography was nothing like the originals. But then on second viewing, I realized this is how a trailer should be cut. They didnt show any of the old cast, no iconic theme, just tidbits of the equipment car and the most imnportant, they didnt tell you the whole plot.

Its gonna be so hype when they blast the theme and have the old guys suit up one last time. At least thats what I hope Reitman is planning.

I dont think they'll suit up but everything else I 100% agree on. First watch I was indifferent but something made me feel like I needed to watch it again. The other viewings I got way more excited. I dont expect to see anything involving the original cast until the next or last trailer and it'll probably be like the Han reveal from TFA trailer.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, that seemed like the only good idea World had. If the park was up and running for years, eventually like everything else it would become blasé to the general public, who want "the next big thing". It seemed like genuine commentary, but it was executed in a pretty poor way.

Idk man. Any time I go to a regular ass zoo it's balls to the walls crowded. I would think a dinosaur zoo would be hype for a long ass time.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017

I think the whole point of the trailer is to emphasize that egon is dead, the ghostbusters have been done for 30 years, there's something strange in this neighborhood, and egon's grandkids stumble across all this gear and have no idea what it is. It's not supposed to be funny. That comes later

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it again. I like it fine. The worst thing they could have done is try to make Ghostbusters again. Ghostbusters is literally untouchable, you can't replicate that success, so you may as well go a different direction. They at least look to be respectable to the originals, that's all I want really. That and I think the trailer looks fine and and I'd go see it.