• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What next gen features do you want most?

• Better graphics

Votes: 772 53.3%
  • Improved framerates

Votes: 972 67.1%
  • Shorter loading times

Votes: 944 65.2%
  • Backwards compatibility

Votes: 825 57.0%
  • Enhanced VR capabilities

Votes: 256 17.7%
  • Game streaming

Votes: 89 6.1%
  • Motion controls and/or handheld support

Votes: 119 8.2%

• Total voters

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
GamesIndustry.biz contributed a series of questions to ISFE and Ipsos MORI's GameTrack consumer survey regarding the public perception of features for the next generation of consoles, which were given to a representative sample of 8,000 gamers aged 11 to 64 across the UK, Germany, Spain and France and Italy.

"Better graphics" are widely agreed to be important in the European markets, with 68% of all surveyed gamers considering it important. Among console gamers only, this figure moves up to 78%.

The only other feature to get anywhere close to that level of consensus from participants was "shorter load times when playing digital games." 63% of all surveyed gamers considered that an important factor, and 71% of console gamers.

Despite the emphasis on visuals, "8K resolution graphics" weren't considered as important as many other features. 40% of all surveyed gamers considered 8K support important for next-gen consoles. That number ticked up to 49% when looking at just the console gamers, but in both groups it performed less well than "motion controls," "backwards compatibility," and "ability to play physical games."

Those three features posted similar middle-of-the-pack numbers. Motion controls were important to 49% of all surveyed gamers and 57% of console gamers. Backwards compatibility was important to 48% of all surveyed gamers and 59% of the console crowd. Playing physical games was important to 47% of all surveyed gamers, and 58% of console gamers.

A step behind those three features and more in the neighbourhood of 8K resolution's responses were "The ability to stream games" and "Non-gaming apps." Streaming games was important to 44% of all surveyed gamers surveyed and 51% of the console gaming respondents, while non-gaming apps were seen as important by 41% and 52% of those groups, respectively.

As for gamers' lowest priority features, "virtual reality compatibility" and "handheld mode available" were most commonly deemed less important. VR was important to 37% of all surveyed gamers, with handheld mode slightly higher at 38%. When looking specifically at the console gamer crowd, VR was important to 43%, while handheld mode ticked up to 45%.

So in order, it seems to be: better graphics > shorter load times > motion controls > backwards compatibility > disc support > game streaming > non-gaming apps > 8k support > handheld mode > VR support.

Pretty interesting breakdown, though I think not asking anything about gaming subscriptions is a glaring omission imo. Do these align with your own priorities? Sound off below.

More at the link, including additional stats:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-23-what-new-console-features-are-important-to-gamers

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's hard to point to things in particular. BC Xbox style as in enhanced is a must though, no buy for me without it going forwards. Other stuff is negotiable.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised motion controls is so high up, interesting.

The rest sounds exactly what I expected, although I would have thought that VR could be a little higher up than 8K, for example.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would care at all about 8k, must be marketing ;p. It's an entirely useless feature, there is no 8k content and video cards/console GPUs can barely handle 4k. Throw in ray tracing and it gets even more difficult to do 4k, so why the hell is 8k of any importance at all?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My most anticipated is better fysics, AI, more units on screen, more background systems etc. Anything that pushes the medium forward on a gameplay level. I'd actually be fine with games not improving that much graphicly. Surprised no one (or near to no one) said that?

Oct 27, 2017
Personally for me it would go something like this:

Better physics/increased interactivity > better AI (why is a 15 year old game [FEAR] still the goddamn benchmark?!) > better destructibility (plays into the first point as well somewhat) > better loading times >>>>>> everything else.

My points mainly play into shooters/action games, which is the majority of what I play but it's still frustrating to see progress from the 00s with games like Crysis, Half Life 2 and Battlefield Bad Company ignored in favour of static game environments and poor AI.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Honestly, most of it doesn't really concern me. Better graphics are integral part of technological progress with a new hardware, so this is always expected. The biggest deal for me is backward compatibility, game performance and space it will occupy on the hard drive (it wouldn't be fun of having for example 1TB and multiple games that are above 100 GBs). I remember reading that PS4 will offer downloading certain modes (like singleplayer without multiplayer), so it may be the right solution.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'm surprised motion controls is so high up, interesting.

The rest sounds exactly what I expected, although I would have thought that VR could be a little higher up than 8K, for example.

People like gyro aiming and or Vive/Steam/joycon type split controls. They don't want the Wii but small non invasive things are definitely appreciated.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would care at all about 8k, must be marketing ;p. It's an entirely useless feature, there is no 8k content and video cards/console GPUs can barely handle 4k. Throw in ray tracing and it gets even more difficult to do 4k, so why the hell is 8k of any importance at all?

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure for the absolute vast majority of people 1080p is still completely sufficient. Caring about fucking 8K is just people having fallen for unrealistic marketing bullshit.

My most anticipated is better fysics, AI, more units on screen, more background systems etc. Anything that pushes the medium forward on a gameplay level. I'd actually be fine with games not improving that much graphicly. Surprised no one (or near to no one) said that?

I agree. We need more focus on things which will actually affect gameplay in interesting ways, not just more pixels or better lighting.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
None of the above are as important for me as Bluetooth audio support. I just want to use any Bluetooth headphones for audio/ chat without any dongles etc.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Yep, it's bullshit. I suspect even the new consoles will have their hands full providing actual 4k resolutions with decent framerates.

Indeed. It wasn't in the poll, but this is the obvious answer, along with better goddamn framerates than last gen (jfc).

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected, people are not enthused by VR.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
8K is quite literally, the last thing on my list of wants. For gaming, at that level of pixel density the screen will have to be massive and you would have to be very close to it to get any real benefit from stepping up from 4K. Something like 8K is much more useful for say, VR, than it is couch/desktop gaming.

As usual my priority is framerate and load times. Graphics are important but it's not that high up for me, there are plenty of games releasing with merely passable at best graphics that I adore without the graphical fidelity bothering me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
8K support? Who are these people. Let's first settle getting native 4K maybe.
My order of priorities would probably be the inverse. Handheld or VR support and backwards compatibility at the top, 8K alongside better graphics dead last.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Given that 'handheald mode' is so low, and Switch sales are so high, the main takeaway from this survey is that people don't really know what they want.
Which, to be fair, is how things have always been.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
All I want is more VR and more Sony first party games. I don't really care about anything else. I've had a nvme ssd in my PC for years and I barely notice a difference between that and the hybrid I had previously unless copying massive files for backups.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If it had "refunds on digital purchases" option nothing else on that poll would've mattered.

Apr 30, 2019
Who wants faster load times over better graphics when it comes to a new generation? I hope it's just because it's early in the poll, because that makes no sense.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Graphics I guess. I buy next consoles to be blown away, not to play something that looks like everything I've played in the past 6 years.

I mean framerate is also important but I rather they prioritise bells and whistles instead of trying to target 60fps.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
VR is easily the most interesting feature with the biggest potential. It's the biggest game-changer since 2D to 3D happened. Truly the next step.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that 'handheald mode' is so low, and Switch sales are so high, the main takeaway from this survey is that people don't really know what they want.

I mean, I enjoy my Switch a good amount but it has zero to do with the handheld mode. I'd rather Next Gen (PS/Xbox) worry more about specs and performance than portability, which I already don't feel the Switch is that good at being for my hands and lifestyle.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. We need more focus on things which will actually affect gameplay in interesting ways, not just more pixels or better lighting.

I guess the fact that no one even mentions it in the survey proves Microsoft is right by just releasing everything anywhere and supporting 7 year old machines. It might hold the technology back, but people don't care anyway lol.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
#1 IMPROVED FRAMERATES & PERFORMANCE.

I'm actually fine with 30 if it's indeed stable/locked; but yes, 60 is way better.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I care about graphics, frame rate, load times, and backward compatibility. Everything else is secondary.

I'd actually love for motion controls to be standard, so every shooter could support aim correction, and every menu-heavy game and app could support intuitive point-and-click controls. But a next gen console lacking in any of the four areas I listed above would be a major disappointment.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly fine with wherever the graphics are currently at. I care way more about performance and gameplay improvements than about pixels and polygons.

Who wants faster load times over better graphics when it comes to a new generation? I hope it's just because it's early in the poll, because that makes no sense.

That would be me and anyone else that has limited time when playing games.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
why is motion controls partnered with handheld gaming and not vr?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I checked everything except streaming.

To bad y'all are really underestimating motion controls. Gyro aiming needs to be a standard feature in games where you have to aim.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not really. I play my switch exclusively on the tv.

We dont know what % of switch owners even care about handheld mode

Last edited:

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I couldn't care less about graphics, resolution, effects, texture quality, and so on... none of my favourite games this gen have exceeded in these areas. However, technical dvances that directly affect gameplay and bring new possibilities like AI, physics and so on... Push them all the way through.

Also, reduce the noise of the console... My PS4 Pro is unbearable to play at night.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Oq

How high? The survey uses a sample of gamers, that includes mobile gamers, console gamers and PC gamers. And most of them are not like you or like me. Most gamers are playing Fifa on consoles or fortnite on PC for instance.

We need to stop thinking that we are the most gamers. We are just the most vocalic group.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Hmmm this is the kind of interesting data I like. Interesting that people don't want handheld modes

I would love a Handheld mode but didn't vote on that because that would collide with better graphics and improved Framerates.
I Hope they keep Vita remote play, but i think that it will be only possible with android phones.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Much shorter load times is my top want. I'm just done with minute long load times now. It actually demotivates me from playing games nowadays, when I know it has long loads or excessive amounts, those with both (Destiny and GTA Online are especially bad) quickly feel like a chore.

Backwards compatibility and cross-buy would be second. I have hundreds of digital games this gen, a not insignificant amount still unplayed, you try and charge me again and I might just skip the console all together, certainly be a few years while I finish up the backlog.

Enhanced graphics, better FPS and enhanced VR games would all be around the same, I don't care about resolution above 1080p, so the better hardware being used for that again would be pretty disappointing.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Give me backwards compatibility, PC like loading times and better framerate (as in locked 60fps in the majority of games) and I'll be happy. Don't dare to raise the resolution or put in extra bells and whistles until you can hit 60fps consistenly.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't need better graphics, I want more convenience. I want full BC, better load times, and better frame rates. I also want the ability to mass store my digital games. If Sony goes with a proprietary SSD next gen and it hurts my ability to mass store games, it's going to be a turn off for me.

I am losing interest inmost types of mainstream AAA games nowadays, so a new box that plays new games doesn't intrigue me. A new box that keeps my current libraries (and hopefully opens them back up....Sony) but plays the games better is what I really want.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
How does motion controls and/or handheld support have less votes than VR? If you want VR wouldn't motion controls be absolutely necessary?

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's not like you can't use wireless headsets at all.
I'm not talking about the wireless aspect but the quality of sound/ hardware. I take my 1000mx3 or Bose qc35 over my Astro a50 any day if I had the possibility. Wireless gaming headsets 🤢 still require a base station/ dongle and/ or usb/ optical cables meaning more unnecessary clutter.