Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
The Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets has fined Epic Games €1,125,000 for using "unfair commercial practices" aimed at children in Fortnite.

An investigation by the ACM found that the company "exploited [the] vulnerabilities" of children through design choices in its item shop.

This included using demanding phrases such as "get it now" or "buy now" on certain advertisements, which the ACM described as an "illegal aggressive commercial practice." Epic was fined €562,500 for this violation.

The investigation also found that countdown timers were used on some advertisements for items that were still available in the shop even after the countdown ended. The ACM deemed this as a way of exploiting children's fear of missing out from suggesting the scarcity of items that were otherwise still available to purchase. Epic was fined another €562,500 for this violation.

The ACM has given Epic a deadline of June 10, 2024 to address these violations. The games firm has informed the ACM of its intention to implement changes.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Epic €1.1m fined for breaking EU consumer law in Netherlands

The Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets has fined Epic Games €1,125,000 for using "unfair commercial practi…

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
why does parents still let their kids play these games in the first place when they get fine from multiple countries for manipulative tactics

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
So, most of the time these fines will keep on coming, and coming, and coming, until they actually rectify the issue. At least, that's how it usually works with the Dutch authority. While the initial fine might be low to start with, things will build up over time.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Getting a fine for using the phrase "Get it now!" is a little over the top for me. It seems to be fairly standard language across a variety of store fronts. The timer thing is also a little whatever, but "Buy now!" probably shouldn't be actionable language.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
It's specifically embedding directly in advertisements. Not about usage on storefront.

https://www.acm.nl/system/files/documents/sanctiebesluit-fortnite_en.pdf (pages 10-14)
I'll have to read through the whole complaint at some point but looking at the section you pointed me to doesn't really change my opinion (whether it's an in-game video ad or part of the in-game store front doesn't really move the needle for me). I'm not up in arms about this (a bit surprised at the level of protections against ads kids get in Netherlands) and think Epic could have afforded someone locally to avoid this, but it is a little surprising that some fairly common language results in a fine like this.