• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
gdc2020sotichart2(1).PNG

capture2.PNG

capture3.PNG

GDC has conducted its annual State of the Game Industry survey of 4,000 developers. From their responses, GDC found that PC remains the most popular development platform and looks to maintain this hold comfortably as we enter a new console generation. When asked what platforms their last project had launched on, what their current project was being developed for, and what they planned to make their next project for, over 50% of surveyed developers responded "PC" to each question.

Over 10% of developers are currently making games for next-gen, with 11% saying they were making games for the PlayStation 5 (and 23% saying their next game would be on the console), and 9% actively developing for Xbox Project Scarlett (17% saying their next game would be). This currently doesn't seem to be cannibalizing the last generation, at least not quickly. 25% said their current project was on the PS4 (with 20% saying their next game would be), while 23% said their current project was on the Xbox One (20% are planning their next project for it).

Furthermore, only 5% of those surveyed said they were targeting next-gen platforms exclusively for their next game. 34% confirmed that their current project would be released on both next- and current-generation platforms.

As for the Nintendo Switch, it doesn't seem to be suffering any from these transitions. 17% of developers said their current project would be released on the console, and 19% were planning their next game for it.

For the first time, the 2020 GDC survey included questions about developing for new streaming platforms. For now, it seems few developers are working on games specifically for the technology. Only 6% are currently making a game for Google Stadia, and only 3% are making a game for Project xCloud.

Developers were also asked what platforms they were interested in developing for, even if they weren't necessarily currently planning to develop for it. There was meaningfully more interest in PS5 over Project Scarlett (38% versus 25%), and 37% said they were interested in the Nintendo Switch. A few interesting outliers included 5% who said they were interested in developing for voice-activated assistants like Alexa or Google Home. 2% were interested in Panic's hand-cranked handheld, the Playdate.

More at the link, including additional stats about VR and AR:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...pers-are-making-games-for-the-next-generation

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Furthermore, only 5% of those surveyed said they were targeting next-gen platforms exclusively for their next game. 34% confirmed that their current project would be released on both next- and current-generation platforms.
As expected we are heading toward a significant cross-gen period which will probably last 2-3 years.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Around 40% are listed for mobile, so I assume that skews the results quite a bit.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Looks to me like it's an ideal time for PC gaming, by the end of the upcoming gen, I suspect any game made will be on PC.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That sounds like lots of awesome indie games are still coming to Switch. I dont have much hope for AAA on Switch, even when they know we mostly double dip (See Doom, Witcher, Doom Ethernal, DQIX...), but I hope that are some nice surprises there.

Oct 25, 2017
PC is loud af. But I guess it's always been that way. Ideally, devs should not be really prioritizing next gen over current gen until official numbers come out so I think this seems okay. If it wasn't for the fact that I like to have the latest and greatest, I would stick with current gen

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Are those numbers low for next gen at this point? Seems low, but maybe even now, most devs are risk-averse or don't have kits?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not trying to downplay mobile games to be clear, I am just saying that the 10% figure probably doesn't represent the support next gen is getting because it seems a large chunk of the developers asked are making games for mobile and those are fairly separated markets. Just trying to clear up potential misunderstandings with the data.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The most significant results according to GDC staff:
  • PlayStation 5 proves more interesting to devs than the Xbox Series X or Nintendo Switch.
  • Most devs don't think Steam justifies its 30 percent cut; many suggest 10-15 percent instead.
  • Nearly half of game makers think the Epic Games Store will be a long-term success

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the focus on cross gen. We did cross gen for this gen but core ended up moving into next gen super quick so the last gen cross gen games ended up selling a lot worse than the current gen versions. Why do that again?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Are those numbers low for next gen at this point? Seems low, but maybe even now, most devs are risk-averse or don't have kits?

Its basically identical to the % reported from the same survey in 2013 (11%). Seems normal in that respect.

The industry in total is bigger than the subset that gravitates around consoles. If you look at it as a percentage of devs currently working on console games it seems to be that about half that number are working on next gen consoles also... which seems about right.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
The results of this and how it's skewed depends massively on which developers were questioned...

...as such I honestly don't find this very informative.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that xCloud is given as a separate option considering it doesn't require the developer to do anything different to Xbox development. Mistake?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the focus on cross gen. We did cross gen for this gen but core ended up moving into next gen super quick so the last gen cross gen games ended up selling a lot worse than the current gen versions. Why do that again?

Yeah cross-gen games dropped real quickly this gen.

My guess is the anticipated higher prices of the new consoles. Even then, I have hard time seeing cross gen games lasting longer than 2 years into next gen.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Jesus only 10%?

Definitely not gonna buy a next-gen console at launch, remember PS4's first year? It was depressingly dry.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The next-gen exclusive percentage could be heavily skewed depending on whether first party devs were involved in the survey or not, since they are the ones who usually ship next-gen only games at launch. If they weren't then 10% is actually pretty high.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a rather low number, but then you have to realize at least third parties (and MS as a first party) will be doing cross gen games for a year or two after the launch of new hardware as well.

We had a similar problem at the start of this generation, hence there were a lot of remasters to fill in the early voids.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Unless MS or Sony are bankrolling you, why would you develop exclusively for an install base of 0?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The next-gen exclusive percentage could be heavily skewed depending on whether first devs were involved in the survey or not, since they are the ones who usually ship next-gen only games at launch. If they weren't then 10% is actually pretty high.

Nah, it's most skewed by where the title is in development. A third party title ready to go this holiday is most likely cross-gen (with the exception of third parties working on behalf of first party - Godfall for example), but a third party title that's still a year or two out from this holiday will most likely be next gen exclusive. This assumes we are talking about the big AAA games/developers.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Can't say I'm surprised. Why would you abandon a playerbase of more than 150 million people unless you were getting paid to to do so? (first party, I mean.)

Cross-gen games is the norm, not the exception.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Wow...let's only make games for something that isn't out yet...or we can focus on the 185 or so existing customers until we can make something truly great for next gen.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about the xcloud stat. Can developers make games specifically for xcloud? I thought they just make xbox games and those games will run in the cloud.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Might as well wait for the 4k series if there's not gonna be that many games that won't run on my 1080 :/

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The most significant results according to GDC staff:
  • PlayStation 5 proves more interesting to devs than the Xbox Series X or Nintendo Switch.
  • Most devs don't think Steam justifies its 30 percent cut; many suggest 10-15 percent instead.
  • Nearly half of game makers think the Epic Games Store will be a long-term success

Amazing. Who knew that some of the devs were as clueless about why do PC gamers game on steam as much as we, the customers are clueless about the conditions, mindset of devs themselves. I thought they knew what benefits steam provides to its customers but hey.. its seems its just another launcher to them and despite the huge amount of features it offers the customers and the devs as a digital platform doesn't have them deserve a 30 percent cut. They invest in hardware(Steam Link, Steam Controller, Steam Machines, HTC Vive, Valve Index) as well as in their software(Steam platform, Steam OS, Proton) and yet these people who are knowledgable about this sort of stuff usually think they only need 10-15 cut overall?

Either they have data in detail exactly how much valve makes off their platform and games and based on that they're theorizing how much percentage of a cut valve needs based on that

OR

They're just talking out of their asses like some of the usual offenders here.

On the last point, it seems like their wet dream that EGS will succeed and they'll keep getting those sweet bags of cash. So it really to me seems like wishful thinking that it ill succeed if 50% of them went all in lol.

What I would say is that in the next few years they'll be here and I'll be here also and I think they'll be not happy how half of them were wrong they were in that prediction.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Amazing. Who knew that some of the devs were as clueless about why do PC gamers game on steam as much as we, the customers are clueless about the conditions, mindset of devs themselves. I thought they knew what benefits steam provides to its customers but hey.. its seems its just another launcher to them and despite the huge amount of features it offers the customers and the devs as a digital platform doesn't have them deserve a 30 percent cut. They invest in hardware(Steam Link, Steam Controller, Steam Machines, HTC Vive, Valve Index) as well as in their software(Steam platform, Steam OS, Proton) and yet these people who are knowledgable about this sort of stuff usually think they only need 10-15 cut overall?

Either they have data in detail exactly how much valve makes off their platform and games and based on that they're theorizing how much percentage of a cut valve needs based on that

OR

On the last point, it seems like their wet dream that EGS will succeed and they'll keep getting those sweet bags of cash. So it really to me seems like wishful thinking that it ill succeed if 50% of them went all in lol.

What I would say is that in the next few years they'll be here and I'll be here also and I think they'll be not happy how half of them were wrong they were in that prediction.
Or they don't care about what Steam invests in?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Or they don't care about what Steam invests in?
Umm then that means.. they are not qualified to answer this poll/question because they don't care how much steam invests its resources and money into supporting its own platform facilitating the customers and the developers.

Most devs don't think Steam justifies its 30 percent cut; many suggest 10-15 percent instead.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm feeling less reason to buy a next gen console at launch. i might wait 2-3 years.

or maybe i should just stick to PC and forget about consoles. i like my PC but i was thinking of giving it up.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

OR

Oh dont worry, 2019 proved EGS is insignificant compared to steam , they are just clueless or delusional cause they want their big Epic check which they wont get anymore, fortnite is declining and you can give away all games you want, people still don't buy on EGS cause its shit.