GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is a good idea. It sounds good on paper, but it could fall apart in execution because they could struggle with having a cohesive vision for the PS. You need one strong leader to make the major calls. And it turns downright dysfunctional when those leaders disagree. Ask anyone who have had two bosses.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
wonder who's becoming the head of worldwide studios to replace Hermen.
Probably nobody, as Hermen Hulst is still responsible for the development, publishing and day to day operations of first party content.
So they haven't found a successor for Jim Ryan yet, since Totoki is still in his place?
These are his successors. And yes, they will report to someone within Sony as SIE is still a subsidiary of Sony.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Jul 2, 2021
But it's kinda true, no?
Isn't he responsible for the big gaas push and managing those different projects? Hasn't been a large success so far
Sony's bosses told him to find good live-service projects so Sony can keep making expensive AAA games. And that's what he has done. That a ton of live-service game fail is normal. Hermen did what he was told to do. Sony can't just keep making $200 - $300 million budget AA singleplayer games. They have to do both. Which is smart.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
wonder who's becoming the head of worldwide studios to replace Hermen.

given what they say here, it seems Hermen is still gonna do that with added responsibility of managing Bungie, their IP on transmedia stuff and other creative stuff at PlayStation so I guess the role just got changed up

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think it's a good idea to split these roles and it's a natural split with matching competencies. Playstation and Xbox are getting big and it's hard to keep your eye on it all, especially with the expansion into transmedia.

I feel like this is the right decision at the right time.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Totoki still being there is interesting. I feel like dude has too many roles and will be replaced by someone.

Totoki is COO and CFO of the mother ship Sony Group that SIE, as a subsidiary, reports to. There was always a direct management line from Sony Group down to SIE. People are just more aware of him since he was interim CEO when Jim stepped down.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Huh, interesting making the hardware its own division. Wonder if that causes conflicts down the road
I only could see this causing conflict if there are fundamental decisions taken by one division, that could cause the other to perform worse. Lets say Hermen decides on his own that all studios switch to PS5-PC development and that all games release day-and-date. This would lead without a doubt to more software sales, great for Hermen's division, but probably impact hardware sales, not great for Hideaki's division.

But I doubt such big moves wouldn't be thoroughly discussed between them first, maybe even with Hiroki Totoki, to which they both report still.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Totoki is COO and CFO of the mother ship Sony Group that SIE, as a subsidiary, reports to. There was always a direct management line from Sony Group down to SIE. People are just more aware of him since he was interim CEO when Jim stepped down.
Yeah but they still call him here chairman of SIE which I think was Ryan's title.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
The Battle for Playstation's soul starts now. Also, didn't realize there was Hulst hate. Did it transfer from Jim?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
rwalcvubgd891.jpg

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
To be honest, Shuhei Yoshida is the only old timer that I remember that used to back indie dev and started in the era where cool games are still being published on PS platform. Even though he is still around the indie push seems to be gone, maybe they have moved on to the china hero thing and reach out to Korean dev like stellar blade for AA games. Smaller size games seems to be gone from PS

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord, when did everyone start hating Herman wtf!?
I think a lot of people have been disappointed in Sony first party direction. GaaS being a major focus and also the general lack of output of most of their major studios on PS5. This gen has been going for almost 4 years now and we have not seen any new releases from ND, Bend, SP, and others. Only Insomniac has been releasing on a regular schedule and they got punished with layoffs.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So who is handling the Sony studios? The post Hulst is leaving?
Probably still Hulst, as the press release states he's still responsible for the development, publishing and business operations of 1st party content. He basically just get more influence in PlayStation Productions (film and television adaptations) and maybe more influence in the publishing side of business, don't know how much influence he had in that prior.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Totoki still being there is interesting. I feel like dude has too many roles and will be replaced by someone.

Totoki is probably just there for general oversight, don't think he is gonna be looking at PlayStation's management at the level he has been so far in Interim capacity

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like Totoki gets the third party relationships as his extra responsibility. It overall looks like he gets to have more on his plate with this promotion. No9 idea if stuff like overlooking the marketing was his thing before.

I'm not sure what changes for Hulst on paper but maybe with this he has more authority over the first party studios since he has one less person on the ladder above him?

Of course I'm aware the actual specifics of this isn't really going to be known by anyone here but it can still be fun to speculate. It seems like the change of having a CEO specifically for the platform and the first party studios would have implications but I have no idea what they would be.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The split makes me think Sony CEO had a problem of being in two places US and Japan. Ryan was flying to Japan every other week or something, spliting this will help. Noshino being in Japan makes me think we will not travel that much and Hulst will stay in US where most Sony studios are.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Of course I'm aware the actual specifics of this isn't really going to be known by anyone here but it can still be fun to speculate. It seems like the change of having a CEO specifically for the platform and the first party studios would have implications but I have no idea what they would be.
Good point, more first party games outside PS platform?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Studio Group and Playstation Group, 2 CEOs while still having the same size as before ?
Sounds like they want to grow the studio business.
Even sounds like more multiplatform releases, splitting the publisher and console business.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
The split makes me think Sony CEO had a problem of being in two places US and Japan. Ryan was flying to Japan every other week or something, spliting this will help. Noshino being in Japan makes me think we will not travel that much and Hulst will stay in US where most Sony studios are.

his linked in lists california

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah but they still call him here chairman of SIE which I think was Ryan's title.

That's true, he'll have a bit more involvement with SIE than prior Sony Group execs. Both a good and bad thing. Good as Sony has been disjointed for a long time and he can leverage collaboration between the various other subsidiaries. Bad as he's another mother ship layer that happens to also be the CFO of said mothership.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

The real reason for two CEOs; executive work life balance.