Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Totoki being "Chairman of SIE" makes me think that he will still be the actual boss, but he is just delegating more to Hulst and Nishino.
This doesn't sound as good news, since it means that SIE is less independent
Exactly. Just look at their new official titles from the press release.

Chairman of SIE Hiroki Totoki
|
|__ Platform Business Group CEO Hideaki Nishino
|
|__ Studio Business Group CEO Hermen Hulst

It's pretty obvious that Hiroki Totoki still plays a crucial role. He will not be involved in day-to-day business, but important decisions will definitely reach his desk.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Co-CEOs like Netflix but in this case, they are managing different parts of the business.

Nishino will get PS Plus, Hardware and Peripherals on the books while Herman gets games.

Feel like flops are gonna hit harder now when you can't report profit rich businesses like PS plus and peripherals on your balance sheet.

Guess we will see how this goes.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Don't hate it. Hulst seems to have a decent head on his shoulders regarding the balance between the creative side and market realities, and he seemingly did a great job as managing director of Guerrilla. The next few years are going to be crucial in seeing whether he was the right choice for WWS head, but between being partially responsible for getting Kojima in bed with PlayStation with the Decima Engine, and lacking Jim Ryan's foot-in-mouth disease, he feels like a strong choice on paper for the structure they're going for.

Can't argue with Nishino either. He's in a similar position to Hulst in that he's got a big moment coming up in the PS5 Pro that will put a lot of weight on his shoulders.

That said, I'm hoping that the reason they were chosen was that they had complimentary visions and have a good working relationship. The worst thing to come out of this is if they're trying to steer the ship in different directions.

Totoki being "Chairman of SIE" makes me think that he will still be the actual boss, but he is just delegating more to Hulst and Nishino.
This doesn't sound as good news, since it means that SIE is less independent
A chairman is different from a CEO. The chairman is essentially the representative of the board of directors. They have no major involvement in the day to day, rather they work to ensure a company meets the expectations of shareholders, which makes sense as a role for the chief financial officer since that's already part of his job.
He'll have the ability to pull rank if he feels that they're making a mess of things, but it's unlikely that most decisions will make it that far up unless it requires a major change in strategy or budget.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Co-CEOs like Netflix but in this case, they are managing different parts of the business.

Nishino will get PS Plus, Hardware and Peripherals on the books while Herman gets games.

Feel like flops are gonna hit harder now when you can't report profit rich businesses like PS plus and peripherals on your balance sheet.

Guess we will see how this goes.

Huh? They're not splitting their financial reports by CEO responsibility.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

Det

Jul 30, 2020
As different of an outcome as that might have been, I don't think Shu wanted the job. It seems like he's happy to stay in his indie-shaped box until retirement.

Would rather him there where he seems to genuinely enjoy it and thrive, than shoe horn him into a larger role because gamers like him more.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
His first game at the studio was ShellShock: Nam '67 , which was a trivial representation of a bloody conflict for our personal entertainment.

….

That's bad.
His second franchise, Killzone, was good enough that got picked up by Sony and continued to sell millions with its sequels.

"That's good."

Should have been Shu
Shu being the head of the indie dev initiate for PS is probably the best position for him to be in.

Jul 2, 2021
so this is where we're going to see bloodborne remastered?
It's where you will see the Bloodborne Demake:
f4f8bb4785757a6d94c495042d78d86f3a6403a9.gif

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Hulst hasn't really impressed me this generation with the meagre PS5 offerings as well as the fact Horizon 2 was hella boring, but anyone is better than Jim Ryan. I guess there's still a medium part of me that scowls at the fact the Killzone 2 mess got cleaned up by Sony Cambridge, and they got unceremoniously killed off during Hulst's ascent. Business is business I guess.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
So they both report to the Sony CFO/COO? That seems like two separate lines of business each having direct oversight and influence by the person responsible for the corporate balance sheet.

I'm not saying it's bad...or good. Curious to see how it plays out.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hulst has had an absolutely meteoric rise, like holy shit, but I think it's pretty good overall someone who understands modern game development is in a top level position.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
How is that Hermans fault when he's only been responsible since 2019?
Literally every game released on PS5 had to have been in development before he got the promotion?
And the games that started development under his watch have not even been released.

Yall blaming Sonys output on Herman and the man got the job right before PS5 released!?
I am stating opinions I have seen online about his performance, not my own. In reality, game development has been incredibly slow so it sort of makes sense. But the layoffs at Insomniac, and the closure of UK studios and Japan Studios all happened under his watch. So there is real criticism there.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
What a split.

Hulst is for 1st party IP and using same IP across media.

Nishino for everything else. Including third party game relations.

Both reporting to CFO/COO and Chairman. Totoki.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wow, Nishino has been at Sony for over 20 years. He was in the Sony Ericsson Communications group, neat.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I wonder if Hulst has some figurines of some franchises on his yacht.
Someone should check his instagram.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Nishino on the hardware front makes a lot of sense. Interesting that they also assigned third party relations with him but I guess Japan/Asia region is starting to become of bigger focus as partners so placing someone in a Japan Office makes sense.

Herman basically doing the same thing haha

As long as yosp is still hanging around to handle the indies.

This seems like a great direction for them.

edit: Oh Hulst now in charge of the TV and Movie stuff too. That's interesting. Given that he seems to be the one working with Kojima.

Last edited:

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
So which one is responsible for third party relationships?

Nvm found it

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like both people are pretty much doing what they did previously just with some expanded responsibilities. Seems a good choice to keep continuity going.