Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Interesting days all around. I like that Sony continues to promote from within, and the new dual structure.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
What a split.

Hulst is for 1st party IP and using same IP across media.

Nishino for everything else. Including third party game relations.

Both reporting to CFO/COO and Chairman. Totoki.

My initial read of this move is that each has to stand on its own in terms of P&L.

And I'm not sure what to think about that given Jim Ryan's comments a year or two ago about how a move like Xbox taking CoD exclusive would hurt the PlayStation business. Do I read that as the money they were making on a third-party title was being used to subsidize first-party development? If so, I'm inclined to believe that approach might be done with now.

Last edited:

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
The fact that they split the role makes me believe Sony is serious about going multiplatform. Before now Sony first party's main focus is to help sell Playstation, and all of their planning revolve around that goal. Now the software business is no longer in service of the hardware, it has its own profitting goal.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
My initial read of this move is that each has to stand on its own in terms of P&L.
Similar read. Should make for cleaner reporting of core health.

I also wonder if this is further groundwork for bringing first party IP to other platforms. Since that business is now its own line.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It will be interesting to hear what the new strategy is at the Sony Group meeting later this month. Also may be the end of selling hardware at a loss.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It makes sense to split them if they are going to do more PC releases and expand in other ways as well.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
To be honest, Shuhei Yoshida is the only old timer that I remember that used to back indie dev and started in the era where cool games are still being published on PS platform. Even though he is still around the indie push seems to be gone, maybe they have moved on to the china hero thing and reach out to Korean dev like stellar blade for AA games. Smaller size games seems to be gone from PS
the indie focus is now about getting those games to release on PS and less about getting timed exclusive indie games. I would have thought people here would prefer that instead of indies getting locked in PS platform.

anyway, I think last notable indie games push by Sony are Kena, Stray and Tchia. Tchia is just last year. Sony still promote indie games

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think it's shocking or anything to think the person focused on first party output should continue to focus on first party output rather than splitting his time between that and whatever goes on on the hardware platform side.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know about blandest, but he sure likes his sequels.
It's pretty normal to expect a sequel to follow up a successful new IP, more so if it takes 6-7 years to lay the ground work for that world. As for their output there's an almost equal split of new IP to sequel which isn't bad. We'll see if that balance changes as he starts greenlighting more games, but signing a new IP from Kojima Productions to work on after DS2 is already a great start.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Though5 it said PlayStation Home in the title for a moment lol

thbp3sgx85k01.jpg

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Tbf, Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst already were kind of a dual CEO leadership team, just one was lacking the title.

They are still reporting to Hiroki Totoki, so it's not like if one completely disagrees with the other they can't solve it.
Tbh it sounds like they made Jim's position redundant and just had the hardware division and software division report directly to totoki

Like in the old structure it wouldve been: these 2 execs -> Jim -> totoki

Now it's just eliminated the Jim part

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the first party games. I hope it's more varied and less western centric, but with Hulst in charge I don't think it will be.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Similar read. Should make for cleaner reporting of core health.

I also wonder if this is further groundwork for bringing first party IP to other platforms. Since that business is now its own line.

It also frees (requires?) the platform side to act in its best interest to get the most gamers on it.

I don't see a future where dedicated gaming hardware magically reverses its decline since the PS2 era, so it might mean a more aggressive Sony getting their own act together in the form of a wider platform including a mobile store and more widely available streaming service.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hurst having actual experience in game development makes this undeniably good news. I'm not expecting him to turn the ship around and make Playstation as good as it was a decade ago but at least there's a chance he'll be better for employees.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
The fact that they split the role makes me believe Sony is serious about going multiplatform. Before now Sony first party's main focus is to help sell Playstation, and all of their planning revolve around that goal. Now the software business is no longer in service of the hardware, it has its own profitting goal.
That would be great for one division, but not really for the other. They still need to be profitable overall as SIE.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a very promising combination.
Nishino with Cerny has kept the fantastic hardware coming and while obviously it's still too soon to see any of the games that Hulst has recently greenlit and overseen from start to finish, they certainly seem quite pleased so far overall with his relationships with the first party studios along with his forging of relationships with fellow devs, like Kojima, seeing him move up a second time this quickly. He's really risen quickly, same with Guerilla itself too.

Hulst is a great pick even if u don't think his games are good. Having a Dev as "The Guy" is always positive.
Yup, good stuff.

Hulst has had an absolutely meteoric rise, like holy shit, but I think it's pretty good overall someone who understands modern game development is in a top level position.
Yeah.

Last edited:

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Always liked Hermen and it's good to have someone with a dev/game studio background on this new role.

It will be a while to see what his true vision for software will be; although I wager it wont be too different from now

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I like this. Considering Hulst's favorite games are The Last Guardian, and he loved Kojima's stuff... I have hope for more creative weird stuff.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I haven't had huge interest in the games Hulst has been part of, but it's absolutely a great thing to have a developer heading up the software side of PlayStation.

I suppose the biggest question is, without a main leader who is setting the high-level vision of PS going forwards? Do these two guys just grab some coffee and hash it out?

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Hermen is the one who has been pushing for the focus on Blockbuster games, for better or worse.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
Is Herman the first person to become CEO of the platform out of PlayStation, Steam, Xbox and Nintendo who has both founded and developed a game?

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly. This is pretty cool. Seems like one over hardware and one over software. Please just bring some good interesting games out of this.

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a great duo to be honest. I was kind of dreading who the new CEO would be, but Hulst at least, knows what makes Playstation Studios great and this should ensure a focus on great games going forward (I hope).

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Nishino have anything to do with psvr2? Because if he did im in. Great piece of hardware.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the future of Playstation unfolds under them. I'll be cautiously optimistic about it.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They did ask me originally but I am too busy trying to play every deckbuilder on Steam. Maybe next time.