LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Is anyone familiar with them is this a big win for PlayStation?
Hermen Hulst used to run Guerrilla Games, brought Kojima Decima on a flashdrive, and has been Head of Playstation Studios focusing on Blockbusters, for better or worse depending on how you feel about Sony's output since he took over.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
I'd say it's an improvement over Jimbo. No doubt he made Sony super successful, but I just don't like his vibe lol.

Doubt much changes with Hulst in charge - pretty sure he had some major pull at Sony even before this. Dual CEOs is kinda cool.

I'll take Herman over Jim Ryan any fuckin' day.
Pretty much this lol.

Interesting dynamic though.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
It would be hard to beat Ryan's record (from Sony's perspective), and quite frankly I have rather enjoyed the last decade of PlayStation games and hardware. Ryan is a weeb but it was a really good run for him.
Agree with everything you said...but did you mean "dweeb" cause Jimbo doesn't really strike me as the "weeb" type LOL

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Killzone Helghan guy is now Sony's mascot now that Crash Bandicoot is Xbox's mascot /s.

Congrats to these guys.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Thought they might do more than 1 after Ryan talked about how much he has to travel, don't see how anyone could do that long term.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm interested to see how the PS6 comes together. Xbox might not be a factor, so they could do something lower power than expected. Hopefully something smaller. Different style. Change the controller again. They have some room to experiment again.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's a double edged sword move.

With them moving the First Party stack up the organization chain, that should give them more budget, but it also puts more pressure on them to deliver on a steady basis irrespective of the platform side decisions (ie console exclusivity deals).

We'll have to see.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Hermen Hulst's rise has been astronomical to be honest.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
hermen_scarface.png

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
Having an actual developer (dutch, to boot!) in the driving seat over an empty corpo suit that's just there to squeeze more money from the business is unequivocally a win. He lived it and knows how hard game development can be.

And man, what a massive career Hulst is having right now, they must really have a lot of trust in the guy.

Let's see what the next decade brings as the industry is in troubled waters, but I feel very positive about these two.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
So... there might be moments where decisions needs both parties to agreed... who has more power other the other here? This sounds like a mess in the long term.

Apr 26, 2020
Hulst seems cool and goes on vacation a lot. Respect.

Wonder how that goes. Does he still has Dutch work rights*? Even now working as head of PS studios and now ceo...

I would imagine Guerilla games employees has them, but he is now more part of the global PS ...company

*I.e. 25 days payed vacation, payed sick leave,payed parental leave and the sorts...

Nov 21, 2017
Wasn't expecting Co-Ceo set up.

Alright now I'm going to need Hulst to bring a full fledged Astrobot game, and make sure Jak and Bloodborne stay dead. As for Nishino just implement the ability to gift digital games and you will get a huge W in my books.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I saw this season of The Office.

This is similar to the split between Matt Booty and Sarah Bond at MS, I guess.

frqunzfltr

Apr 25, 2024
I'm just glad that Jim Ryan is gone.

Hermen Hulst had his PS5 upside down, if you remember. It went viral. So, good choice not to put him in charge of hardware, I guess.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
I like Herman! He's got a hell of a job in front of him though given the state of the industry. I'll be very interested to see what happens with PS first party under his tenure.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Wonder how Hermen will manage being CEO/ Male Model and Instagram Influencer

notitle1.png

Cringe. Maybe we don't need to prop up execs like this hmm? At least Hulst has development experience but still, this is some corny, superficial shit. I find it particularly distasteful with the current market situation of the game industry in general, layoffs, studio closures etc. I'll never understand the fawning, memery level adulation focused at people at this level sorry.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Herman stayed in line all these years to work his way to the top.
Now that he's reached it, he can finally go rogue and greenlight Bloodborne Remake for PS5 (Pro) and PC as well as Bloodborne 2.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
We're in the HHHN* era now.

pronounced hnnn.

I hope HHHN do a great job and make improvements to the business that respect the history and BC of PS better than their predecessor.

Nov 5, 2017
Nishino is a good choice for hardware but I have absolutely zero faith in Hulst. What a horrible leader he's been so far.
I agree...Hulst hasn't even proven himself, and he is somehow chosen to lead the entire company? Makes no sense to me....what achievements can he point to while he was President of Playstation Studios that proves that he deserves to lead the entire company? Makes no sense to me...insane choice...