ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with people who look at PlayStation Studios output since Hulst has been in charge there and see a lot of pretty safe stuff and not a lot of risks (lots of sequels, similar genres etc.)

However, I will say that I think a lot of that is driven by what the market clearly wants and he did a good job to recognize that and go after it, with sales numbers and critical accolades to show for it. From a BUSINESS perspective he did an outstanding job with PlayStation Studios which is what got him this gig, even if the creative side felt lacking.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! This photo of Hermen's cute cat is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear anything about him :)

en1myzi8nslxxtni0pfr.jpg

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizonborne
Gran Horizon
Horizon of War (kinda badass name)
HorizonBot
Horizon and Clank
Horizon-Man

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Having an actual developer (dutch, to boot!) in the driving seat over an empty corpo suit that's just there to squeeze more money from the business is unequivocally a win. He lived it and knows how hard game development can be.

And man, what a massive career Hulst is having right now, they must really have a lot of trust in the guy.

Let's see what the next decade brings as the industry is in troubled waters, but I feel very positive about these two.
ha this reminds me of when former game dev Don Mattrick got appointed let's hope it doesn't turn out that way.

Anyway you don't come into such positions for being a man of the people you now command, so yeah I'm indifferent to anyone appointed to such positions but I guess it's still better than some finance bro who is just looking at the bottom line on a excel sheet.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
games take a long time and those sequels people are complaining about is only in 2nd or 3rd game. which most publisher would be crazy to not make sequel when 1st game is a hit.

he let Bend ditch Days Gone for new IP, we know Cory is making new IP. ND is potentially make new IP too, he also let Arrowhead spend 7 years on Helldivers 2 where I could easily see other exec just cut their losses and cancel it mid development.

he takes initiative to let Kojima use Decimal engine, manage to secure next AAA Kojima game, and he keep mentioning From software as partner, so he's probably cooking something with FromSoft too.

seems like he's done pretty great thing for PS imo

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that the high ups at Sony probably like from Hulst is he basically oversaw the whole internal change from SIE Worldwide Studios to PS Studios, which was probably his main task when given the head spot 5 years ago, so wouldn't make much sense to change that now that they are basically making the head of PS Studios into the Co CEO, instead of just replacing Jim Ryan.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
games take a long time and those sequels people are complaining about is only in 2nd or 3rd game. which most publisher would be crazy to not make sequel when 1st game is a hit.

he let Bend ditch Days Gone for new IP, we know Cory is making new IP. ND is potentially make new IP too, he also let Arrowhead spend 7 years on Helldivers 2 where I could easily see other exec just cut their losses and cancel it mid development.

he takes initiative to let Kojima use Decimal engine, manage to secure next AAA Kojima game, and he keep mentioning From software as partner, so he's probably cooking something with FromSoft too.

He's the man we needed, but not the one we deserved.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
They had a bunch of breakout IPs in the late PS4 era that have or are getting sequels now. I don't see how that's any different to how the industry has ever worked to say that SIE in particular are sequel-heavy - or should Naughty Dog have not made Crash 2, or Jak II, or Uncharted 2?

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
So what happens when the two CEOs disagree on a major business decision? Like what to do with PS6 or PC strategy? It feels like when there are two CEOs then neither of them is really the CEO and the big boss continues to be Totoki.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
So what happens when the two CEOs disagree on a major business decision? Like what to do with PS6 or PC strategy? It feels like when there are two CEOs then neither of them is really the CEO and the big boss continues to be Totoki.

Well they are in different departments right? I imagine Hurst has final say on first party, and Nishino on ps6.they have both been doing this a long time, I am sure it will be fine.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
The fact that they split the role into two distinct responsibility areas shows Sony has slightly differing directions for both, and needs a CEOfor each to keep focus.

Or I could be reading into it too much and this is just a response to Jim Ryan retiring. Clearly the workload and responsibility was too broad for him, and maybe they assessed that it wasn't a Jim thing but a problem with the role itself.

Regardless, it's a shame they can split a high level role in two, but then cut jobs further down the chain, presumably expecting those who remain to pick up the slack (aka doing two people's work).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
1v1 quickscope match.

They probably have final say over their things is my guess, so on Hulst sode it is all things 1st party software (both games and TV/movies) and he just keeps Hideaki in the loop if need be, as I would imagine knowing that is important for the hardware side. But otherwise both mostly do their own thing and it's ultimately not their problem what the other is doing.
Hideaki having PSN probably puts him higher up the food chain though, given it is by far their biggest money maker and always will be.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018

These new games are also breaking records for every studio, which means significantly more people want continuations of the current series. He is also willing to let something like TLOU Factions get cut, instead pushing ND down a road they do not want to go.

The fact that they split the role into two distinct responsibility areas shows Sony has slightly differing directions for both, and needs a CEOfor each to keep focus.

Or I could be reading into it too much and this is just a response to Jim Ryan retiring. Clearly the workload and responsibility was too broad for him, and maybe they assessed that it wasn't a Jim thing but a problem with the role itself.

Regardless, it's a shame they can split a high level role in two, but then cut jobs further down the chain, presumably expecting those who remain to pick up the slack (aka doing two people's work).
One of Jim's complaints was having to fly between the JPN and the US since he was responsible for both sides. This should ease some of that even if there will still be a lot of travel.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Well they are in different departments right? I imagine Hurst has final say on first party, and Nishino on ps6.they have both been doing this a long time, I am sure it will be fine.
I get they have different domains but that's what VP roles are for. Eventually some decisions which are transcendent have to go up the chain and a single person needs to approve. I don't expect this setup to last for a long time, it feels like the two CEOs are pitted against each other to see who the winner will be.

Oct 27, 2017
If Hulst is becoming co-CEO for SIE then who is taking over as head of PS Studios?

pretty incredible how hermen went from forming guerrilla studios, to join sony playstation studios, to vice president of ps studios, to head of ps studios, to CEO of PLAYSTATION, this guy is incredible really, congratulations to him!

It's especially interesting considering how mediocre Guerrilla Games were when they started (Shellshock: Nam '67 and Killzone) and how they kept being given chances and had this incredible upswing into being a technological powerhouse.

Dang, Hulst really shot up the career path.

Having watched him speak a few times, he is charismatic and engaging. I'm not surprised he's moving along this path so quickly.

i dont know about blandest, but he sure likes his sequels.

That's every publisher nowadays though - find a successful formula and exploit it as much as possible. Sadly just due to the cost of AAA productions they're all much more risk averse.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Congrats! This photo of Hermen's cute cat is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear anything about him :)

en1myzi8nslxxtni0pfr.jpg
The only thing I can think of when seeing this photo, is that the CEO of Playstation has his PS5 upside down.

Also congrats to the both of them. Based on the recent trajectory, it always seemed like to most likely outcome that Herman would be the next Playstation CEO. That said, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. Outside of slow embracing PC, I don't really like the current gen trajectory of Playstation. Basically ever since Sony closed down Japan Studios and moved away from making more interesting titles to supplement their blockbusters. The current Playstation line up is safe and boring. Also they seem hell bend on torching any PC good will at the moment.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Are people really complaining about sequels to games that sell a massive amount?

Look at the industry, we want devs to keep their job.
Hopefully under Hulst Playstation Studios will flourish and maybe we will get some Sony Indie games like during the PS3 era. However, with cost of gaming development increase during the years, I am just happy we are getting good games.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
It's especially interesting considering how mediocre Guerrilla Games were when they started (Shellshock: Nam '67 and Killzone) and how they kept being given chances and had this incredible upswing into being a technological powerhouse.
Sony saw something with that studio back in 2005 when they bought them, and they are now releasing one of the best selling franchises in company history.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Time to blame both when the eventual Horizon Zero Dawn remake gets announced before a Bloodborne remake.

Fun times ahead.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's an interesting strategy to move Service and a Head of Software into a CEO role.

Just shows how Sony is planning on having both things as important.

I suppose Hermen will be the man showing face for the Showcase then

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
So, Hermen is charismatic, but I can't say he has proven he "gets it" yet. Under his direction Sony overspent in a lot of acquisitions, several of them for new studios with no track record, that had a real negative impact on profits, leading to closures, layoffs and cancelations. He was there taking all the bad decisions with the recent Helldivers 2 debacle (though at least he corrected direction), and seems like GoT PC is going straight into a repeat. I am sure the push for GaaS is mainly coming from him which...well we'll see how that goes, but it's not looking great.

And about Nishino, the PlayStation hardware/peripheral output has been sometimes questionable: PSVR2's price, less comfortable design than PSVR and lack of backwards compatibility, PS Portal with no Bluetooth or native cloud streaming, PS5 Slim's weird detachable disc unit, PS5 Pro feeling like a pointless upgrade for some developers... Awkward, inelegant or half-assed design decisions in almost all recent PS products.

I feel like someone more experienced like Eric Lempel would've been a safer option, but I think Sony wants a real change of direction for PlayStation. I am skeptical, and mostly not a fan, buy we'll see how that goes.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate Hulst (Nishino is outright positive) but I also have to see how will Hulst handle the very tricky financial part of being CEO.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Makes sense to split hardware and software, I guess. Anyone have any info on Hideaki Nishino as a hardware person?

Nishino oversaw the release of the Portal which was a success:

www.gamefile.news

Exclusive: The making of the PlayStation Portal

Project lead Hiromi Wakai explains Sony's goals and why the Portal isn't a Vita 2.

She credits the idea of playing PlayStation's best games without a TV to Hideaki Nishino, the head of Sony's PlayStation Experience Group.

One key guiding principle for the Portal project that helps explain its uncomplicated feature set that simply apes the PS5's controls and display proportions: "We also did not want to ask for any additional work from game creators to achieve this goal." PS5 games needed to work on the Portal with no strings attached.

The Portal was never meant to be a dedicated handheld, Wakai said. "The initial discussions of this product started out from the question of how to expand the PS5 console game experience, not launch a separate handheld device."

and he was the one who talked about potentially adding cloud support to the Portal in the future.

av.watch.impress.co.jp

新PS5と“PlayStation Portal”はなぜ生まれた? SIEプラットフォーム責任者に聞く「年末商戦」で狙うもの【西田宗千佳のRandomTracking】

PlayStation 5が発売になって3年が経過し、またホリデーシーズンがやってくる。

In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are only different in terms of where the server is, and there are no technical problems. We will start with remote play and proceed with verification.

He was in that role as SVP of Global Product Strategy and Management since 2016 so would have been involved with the PS5 and the PSVR2 too.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
When I read this over on the Killzone Wiki, I was excited for Hulst:

His favorite PS4 games of all time are Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last Guardian, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Inside, Until Dawn, and Street Fighter V. His favorite PS2 games of all time are God of War, Ico, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

So Hermen, give my Last Guardian PS5 patch and my Ico remake.

Thank you!

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
Excuse my pessimism but to me this kinda reads like Totoki is going to continue to have significant influence which means business first decisions (like the ones that fans have not liked as of late). I can see this accelerating their business growth but I'm not sure how popular this tenure will be with fans.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
To be honest, Shuhei Yoshida is the only old timer that I remember that used to back indie dev and started in the era where cool games are still being published on PS platform. Even though he is still around the indie push seems to be gone, maybe they have moved on to the china hero thing and reach out to Korean dev like stellar blade for AA games. Smaller size games seems to be gone from PS

Who was responsible for the closure of Japan Studio, I'm wondering?

Oct 27, 2017
People keep bringing up that one game as an argument, but it doesn't change what happened to studios like ND. Or the Bungie failure

• What Bungie failure, and how was that the fault of Sony? We had reports saying it was Bungie management cutting people to reduce expenditures because if they went below a revenue threshold that could trigger a full Sony takeover. At the moment Bungie have a lot of autonomy and it's likely to stay that way until the founders cash out and leave, which is expected to be 2026 IIRC.
  • Most of the GaaS projects they greenlit haven't released yet. The Last of Us Online was cancelled because the scope was too big for the studio and it would have swallowed all of their resources (and they want to go back to focusing on single-player games). Twisted Metal seems like it never really got off the ground, so who knows what was going on there. Concord is likely coming later this year but we haven't seen anything of it yet, same for Fairgames (except the later this year part). We might see Marathon for the first time this year and with the Bungie audience and usual level of polish/presentation it's likely to be very popular unless they steal defeat from the jaws of victory, the Deviation project seems as though it fell apart because of poor leadership at the studio, but it also seems like Sony is trying to pick the best parts from that corpse and start over. Elsewhere we've got the Horizon co-op project which should be set to release in the next couple of years, and I think that's all the ones we know about? Meaning so far we've got one full development cancelled because the studio underestimated it/the scope grew too large, and another game cancelled which seems like it was never even in full production.

Genuinely, what games were greenlit and released since 2019 when he got the WWS role that suggest this? For me, it'll be the next 5 years that make a mark to assess performance, as that'll be the rough time frame given game dev time under his leadership. I have no real idea yet to make that call.

Yeah, agreed. Concord will likely be the first original game which has been entirely or almost entirely developed under his tenure, I think? It will also give us a good insight into their confidence in Firewalk.

The Battle for Playstation's soul starts now. Also, didn't realize there was Hulst hate. Did it transfer from Jim?

I think it's mostly people disliking the current Live Service trend in the industry, not realising all publishers are like this and it is far from a Sony-specific issue.

Hell, just last week we had a niche-but-beloved Microsoft studio closed down after the were shoehorned into making a GaaS game which didn't turn out well. Did people want the same thing to happen to Firesprite or Naughty Dog, which could cause serious harm to or potentially even end up closing a studio?!

Makes me wonder, has there ever been a female CEO of a major console manufacturer?

Sarah Bond is CEO of Xbox I believe.

Hopefully Nishino completely 180s on the PS6 design.

What does this mean?

It will be interesting to hear what the new strategy is at the Sony Group meeting later this month. Also may be the end of selling hardware at a loss.

I don't think they've sold hardware at a loss in a very long time now? Not since the early PS3 days was my understanding.

That's why he's the goat ceo that understood gaming

Lol

Horizonborne
Gran Horizon
Horizon of War (kinda badass name)
HorizonBot
Horizon and Clank
Horizon-Man

The Hori of Zon
Ghost of Horizonshima
HorizEout
HZD The Show

I presume if it can't be resolved between them and they have equal say then they both present a business case to Totoki to make the final decision.

Are people really complaining about sequels to games that sell a massive amount?

Look at the industry, we want devs to keep their job.
Hopefully under Hulst Playstation Studios will flourish and maybe we will get some Sony Indie games like during the PS3 era. However, with cost of gaming development increase during the years, I am just happy we are getting good games.

Yep; this. For a long time Sony had a bunch of reasonably successful IPs which did okay but didn't sell a lot (Ratchet, Wipeout, Infamous, Resistance, GoW pre-2018, Motorstorm, etc) and then once they got into this current groove after Uncharted 2 they've striven more to launch games which can become franchises.

I don't think anyone is, because he is a co-CEO for software side of things. He is essentially keeping his role as a head of PS Studios, but reports directly to the head of Sony, instead of head of Playstation.

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks!

Sony saw something with that studio back in 2005 when they bought them, and they are now releasing one of the best selling franchises in company history.

Yeah, it really is kind of fascinating. Unfortunately that would never happen any more as developers couldn't weather a weak first game launch and then get a huge budget increase for their second game. Hermen must have really sweet-talked the PS higher-ups back then!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I can think of when seeing this photo, is that the CEO of Playstation has his PS5 upside down.
That's why I posted that photo. The fact he doesn't know something so basic about the product he's the president of, is the actual first thing I always think about when I hear his name. He's probably a good schmoozer though.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
That sounds like the same job he has now. I'm guessing there won't be a replacement for him as head of PSS

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
"Divide and conquer". It seems pretty obvious that reason the CEO position was split in two was for Totoki and the rest of Sony HQ to have more direct power over SIE.