• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Almost 200,000 games consoles were sold in the UK during May, according to sales tracker GfK Entertainment.

It's a rise of 17% over the same four week period the year before. If we compare the numbers to May 2019 when there wasn't a pandemic on, console sales in 2021 are up 162%.

The biggest performer was comfortably PlayStation 5, which saw an influx of new stock coming to market after two slow months. Xbox Series S and X also had a decent month in terms of stock, but had to settle for second place. Nintendo Switch, which has remained fairly consistent all year, is narrowly behind in third spot.

Switch sales are down year-on-year currently. Nintendo's console enjoyed a big boost in March, April and May 2020 due to the COVID-19 lockdown and the release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which explains the unfavourable comparison. If we compare this year's performance to 2019, Switch sales are up 60% year-to-date.

Overall, UK console sales for 2021 are up 22% over the same period last year.

The surge in PS5 sales is clear from the accessories charts. The DualSense controller reclaims the No.1 position, followed closely by the Pulse 3D Wireless Headset. The new accessory of the month is the Xbox Camo Day Strike Wireless Controller, which debuts at No.11.

Almost 2.1 million games were sold (digital and physical) in the UK during May, according to GSD. That's a drop of 39% over the same period the year before, when the industry was seeing strong sales as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown.

1.2 million games were digitally downloaded via Steam, PSN, Xbox Store and Nintendo eShop, which is a drop of 54% over last year. 885,000 were sold via UK physical retailers, which is actually an increase of 8.2% over May 2020. Games retailers were closed last May, and there was a severe lack of new releases (which is where physical retailers tend to perform best).

The best-selling game of May 2021 was Resident Evil: Village, which outsold its nearest rival -- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition -- by nearly double. 43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC.

Other new releases in May included Hood: Outlaws & Legends at No.13. Meanwhile, Nintendo's Miitopia makes No.19. Nintendo doesn't share digital data with GSD, so it's possible, even likely, that the game would have charted higher.

TOP 20 software:

]
Captura-de-tela-2021-06-09-090159.png

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
really happy for Mass Effect, that show two things to EA:
- people really want more Mass Effect.
- people buy remasters, dead space winky winky.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest performer was comfortably PlayStation 5, which saw an influx of new stock coming to market after two slow months. Xbox Series S and X also had a decent month in terms of stock, but had to settle for second place. Nintendo Switch, which has remained fairly consistent all year, is narrowly behind in third spot.
Industry figurehead.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Switch is down yoy, but I expect it's gonna end up beating last year's performance once the pro releases

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Miles morales probs gonna end up outselling spider man 2018 soon. It has crazy legs on both npd and eu charts. Being the default pick for new ps5 owners. I see horizon replacing it as the default game next.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is down yoy, but I expect it's gonna end up beating last year's performance once the pro releases

We were two months into Animal Crossing Mania + COVID lockdown in the UK this time last year. I would be *shocked* if the Switch wasn't down YoY compared to 2020 for May.

Never gonna replicate that moment in time.

Nov 21, 2017
Miles Morales is legit an ever green title for the PS5. It's pretty clear most people who are interested in the game are willing to wait to play the game until they get hands on the PS5. Heck PSN Monthly sales charts is even further proof of this fact. I expect this will be the same for Horizon Forbidden West especially if it hits 2021 since chip shortages are supposed to still be occurring in 2022.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely more PS5 stock floating around. My brother has been trying since just after launch and has nailed one this morning

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Chris continues to contradict himself with these reports. PS5 stock is up "after two slow months" except he's previously stated March was huge, the second biggest month for PS5 up to that point.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Miles Morales is legit an ever green title for the PS5. It's pretty clear most people who are interested in the game are willing to wait to play the game until they get hands on the PS5. Heck PSN Monthly sales charts is even further proof of this fact. I expect this will be the same for Horizon Forbidden West especially if it hits 2021 since chip shortages are supposed to still be occurring in 2022.
Yeah, I said before we might not have all the data Sony has but it seems PS5 versions of games are doing better than some expected.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Res Evil Village nearly sold as much on PS5 as it did on both Series X consoles and PS4 combined!

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021
It's interesting that Series S and X are being lumped together in certain reports and not in others. Fundamentally it's not the same console.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Must of been a cast improvement in supply if hardware was up YoY despite COVID19 boost and Switch being down. Wonder if PS5 at approached 50% of market share in May considering Switch and Xbox were close.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Had hoped Returnal would chart due to word of mouth, though it looks like people are really hesitant on it. I know it came out the end of April.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's better than most Japanese developed sales split for Xbox. That include digital as well?
It should, given that PC is greater than zero.

Assuming the PC sold exactly the same (11%), the initial 80-20 physical split would imply PS 71% and Xbox 18%. Given the actual split is way more in Xbox's favour, that would imply the Xbox version had a significantly higher digital ratio. Possibly even selling more digital copies than PlayStation, even.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The initial splits without digital on the first week were 80 % playstation and 20% xbox, so this definitely gives credence to the idea that more people are buying digital on xbox.
Yes and no. As the person underneath your post kindly reminded me that physical sales for pc was zero.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
The initial splits without digital on the first week were 80 % playstation and 20% xbox, so this definitely gives credence to the idea that more people are buying digital on xbox.

Yep, Xbox must be punching well above its weight when it comes to digital sales as it's managed to close the gap on PlayStation when digital sales are taken into account.

Another indication that reading too much into the UK physical only charts isn't wise these days as the Xbox performance looked much worse on that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, now with digital added (and removing PC), they're at 65/35 for PS/Xbox which is a big shift when digital comes in. It was 80/20 when only counting physical retail.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if physical Xbox share was 20% but with PC sales and digital added Xbox jumps to 30%, then Xbox is massively digital compared to Sony.

Like, that just needs to be the standard assumption now. That's actually a massive jump.

PS was +300% Xbox Week 1 but then at full month dropped all the way to +87%.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, wonder how much Ratchet will eat into its attach rate going forward.