• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And more to the point, most gamers simply don't care. We asked GameTrack - a consumer research project run by Ipsos Connect that is used by many major publishers - to ask its panel of European users how it felt about cross-play, and the responses were indifferent. 58% of respondents said they didn't care much about it. When asked if cross-play was a reason to buy a console, 54% disagreed with the statement (in fact, 38% strongly disagreed), while only 13% said it might be a consideration in which console or service they would buy.

48% of respondents disagreed that cross-platform play would be an incentive to buy a game they otherwise might not, versus 17% who agreed; and 49% of respondents disagreed that cross-platform functionality would make them more likely to play online than they currently do, compared to 17% who agreed. The data shows that although there are some gamers that find cross-play intriguing, the majority are simply not fussed.
There has always been this threat of a 'hard reset' whenever a new generation arrives, yet in the future the reset might not be so definitive. PS5 players will likely still be playing with PS4 owners. Friends lists and game libraries will likely transfer across. Enabling customers to switch to Xbox and still allow them to play with their PlayStation friends gives away a big competitive advantage. So why do it, especially if the majority of gamers are not actually asking for it?

Yet for Microsoft, it does make sense. This is a company that wants to knock down console barriers so it can attract people to its platform - and we're not just talking about a physical platform here. It's the challenger brand, so it has less to lose from opening its platform to its competitors and more to gain.
It's quite something to see Nintendo and Xbox unite in such an aggressive and blatant attack on PlayStation. Whether it's a sign of a deeper bond between the two businesses, or a temporary alliance against a common enemy, it's not entirely clear. But it puts Sony in a tricky predicament. If it relents to cross-platform demands, then it's Xbox that will truly win, as it will paint Microsoft as the hero and take away one of the many reasons to own a PlayStation over any other device.

Stick to its guns, and Xbox and Nintendo will continue to paint PlayStation as anti-gamer.

All over an issue that most people don't really care about.

Link for full article: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-gang-up-on-playstation-in-cross-platform-row

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until sales slow down on the PlayStation, I don't think Sony is going to change their mind on this issue, they have zero reason or incentive to

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to miss the point that Sony's holding your Fortnite progress hostage. Log into Fortnite Sony once, boom,...

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really an attack, Sony landed themselves in this situation, the option has always been there.

It can only benefit everyone.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics at play in the article and in this thread in trying to absolve Sony of any blame in this situation are spectacular to watch

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if 58% said they don't care..doesn't that mean that a 42% does care?
that's a shitload of people

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's all marketing and positive PR MS is trying to stir up?

Cross-play is not 'marketing' or 'spin'. It's literally just using the internet to it's fullest ability. Arbitrarily restricting the IP-Connected devices you're allowed to connect to based on the manufacturer of the IP-Connected device you're currently on is anti-consumer and, in this case, anti-gamer. To say otherwise is literal shilling.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
As expected Era makes it sound like a bigger issue than it really is.

No?

It's a thing that matters to you if you want to play with friends on other platforms. It's a thing that probably doesn't matter to you if you don't. The larger issue here is Sony's policy has no good reason to exist AND is causing Epic games accounts to be locked to the PS4 console or out of the PS4 console.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is, yes if you don't care about Crossplay then you have every right to feel that. However, what about Sony locking the Fortnite accounts to their system? That's the biggest problem in all this and it should be resolved.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A minority can still be a load of people. 42% sounds like a lot to me and this isn't even talking about cross progression which was the main issue with Fortnite.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
The mental gymnastics at play trying to absolve Sony of any blame in this situation are spectacular to watch

Not to mention the study was done in a very Sony friendly part of the world. When the customer base has little exposure to the idea in the first place what else are they going to say?

edit - I'd be more curious to see the results in the US where MS at least has a stronger presence. I'm not assuming it'd be overwhelming but I bet it'd be a bit less skewed.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo and Microsoft want a slice of that pie.
Of what pie?

Glad to see GI.biz putting an end to this twitter and forum drama.
Yes, let's be glad that the poor corporations are being defended.
What is wrong with some people?

I mean yeah, it 100% was that. They can be both an advantage and used as marketing spin and positive PR.
Okay, but the point: if it was okay then, it is okay now. People with vested interests (we know exactly what vested interests) are far too willing to dogpile on MS, while letting much more blatant exhibitions of similar behavior from Sony slide.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Playstation fans trying to hide behind 'it's not that big of a deal' is desperate.

Region free hardware wasn't that big of a deal to the wider market but it sure did matter enough to gamers on forums like this.

Just accept Sony are fucking up here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Blocking cross-play is anti-consumer and Sony deserves to be called out for this.

Yet it's funny that Microsoft is the one calling them out, since it was Microsoft who has been blocking cross-play for years, until they went for a new strategy where cross-play actually benefits them.

The only pro-consumer companies are the ones who never blocked cross-play in the first place.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Games like Anthem, Destiny, The Division and so on would be way better with cross play

Blocking cross-play is anti-consumer and Sony deserves to be called out for this.

Yet it's funny that Microsoft is the one calling them out, since it was Microsoft who has been blocking cross-play for years, until they went for a new strategy where cross-play actually benefits them.

lol a Ge0force Microsoft dig...i expect nothing else

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they stop holding the epic accounts hostage (dear God please,) they'll eventually have to cave when more games utilize it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pie that is the sole reason Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo exist, of course.
The market? Nintendo is doing pretty damn well, I don't think cross platform play helps it or hurts it in the market at all.

Playstation fans trying to hide behind 'it's not that big of a deal' is desperate.

Region free hardware wasn't that big of a deal to the wider market but it sure did matter enough to gamers on forums like this.

Just accept Sony are fucking up here.
Nah, many PlayStation fans (and to be fair, fans of any brand, but PlayStation is the brand under fire here, so let's focus on that) would rather bend over backwards to defend shitty practices than admit their beloved corporation could be doing anything wrong.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

Yea nobody has ever mentioned that in the last few years since crossplay became a thing again. Hilarious.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-play is not 'marketing' or 'spin'. It's literally just using the internet to it's fullest ability. Arbitrarily restricting the IP-Connected devices you're allowed to connect to based on the manufacturer of the IP-Connected device you're currently on is anti-consumer and, in this case, anti-gamer. To say otherwise is literal shilling.

Using the internet to its fullest? Lol that doesn't even mean anything. If you truly wanted that, go to the PC instead of the walled gardens of consoles where restrictions are the norm. As for arbitrarily... you don't know the meaning of the word. This is Sony's policy, they're not randomly restricting things. I want Sony to allow crossplay as much as the next guy, but this is just irrational ranting. There's nothing anti-consumer here. Sony didn't sell the PS4 as having crossplay. You weren't defrauded or mislead.

You aren't owed, as a PS4 owner, to demand how Sony runs its infrastructure anymore than you are owed the ability to order a Big Mac at Wendy's.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

The only pro-consumer companies are the ones who never blocked cross-play in the first place.

Whatsboutism at its finest.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lmao, here we come again with the exact same tired arguments

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Okay.

Reading the replies here, and the article, I'm convinced people are intentionally missing the point of cross-progression.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I would've bought rocket leauge for Switch if cross play was possible. I have a good friend of mine who plays daily and I would have liked to join. So yeah it does play into game purchase and even console purchase considerations be it in favor of Sony or Nintendo depending on who you're lookog at.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I ask in random groups on destiny on ps if they have heard about it in a purposefully naive way, id say 50% have heard about it AND wish it wasn't that way (though clearly they dont understand the situation). Hardly a good survey but the point is people have heard about it.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The market? Nintendo is doing pretty damn well, I don't think cross platform play helps it or hurts it in the market at all.

Let me put it like this. If just one user moves over to the Switch because of this, it has helped. Focus of profit is to maximize, but even the smallest margins are not ignored.

EDIT: I misunderstood your statement. But to a similar point, this "fight" Nintendo/MS are putting up is certainly serving to offer good-faith. So while this is still an ongoing issue, some are willing to jump ship to the more consumer-friendly option.

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if League players playing on Mac were arbitrarily restricted from playing with League players on Windows, when Riot owns the logical networking layer. It makes absolutely no sense.