• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
variety.com

Giancarlo Esposito Was So Broke Before ‘Breaking Bad’ That He Considered Arranging His Own Murder So His Kids Could Get His Life Insurance Money

Giancarlo Esposito was so broke before "Breaking Bad" that he considered arranging his own murder so that his children could benefit.

Asked how he got out of near bankruptcy around 2008, Esposito said, "My way out in my brain was: 'Hey, do you get life insurance if someone commits suicide? Do they get the bread?' My wife had no idea why I was asking this stuff. I started scheming. If I got somebody to knock me off, death by misadventure, [my kids] would get the insurance. I had four kids. I wanted them to have a life. It was a hard moment in time. I literally thought of self-annihilation so they could survive. That's how low I was."
That was the first inkling that there was a way out, but I wouldn't be here to be available to my kids," Esposito added. "Then I started to think that's not viable because the pain I would cause them would be lifelong, and there'd be lifelong trauma that would just extend the generational trauma I'm trying to move away from. The light at the end of the tunnel was 'Breaking Bad.'"

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Good Guy Vince Gilligan sure helped a lot of these very talented Breaking Bad actors get better looks from the entertainment industry. They all deserve it.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
My ex-wife's dad basically did this. He spent their whole lives promising that they'd never have to pay a dime for their cars or college educations and floated from one get rich scheme to the next, and could never hold down a job. Always promising that a big break was around the corner, and it never was.

He got blind drunk one night about six years ago and ended his life. We were still married at the time. It was so, so awful. I'll never forget the way that my wife wailed at the visitation. She and her brother got about $60k each because of the life insurance policy from his employer at the time. He spent so much time promising them that he'd show up for them to help pay their debt that there isn't a doubt in my mind that that was his way of doing it.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Acting can be such a cruel business. In a just world, he'd have been set for life after Do the Right Thing.

What a low, desperate place. I'm so glad that he got the right role at the right time.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Even if he had a ton of bit roles here and there, working in Hollywood as a POC ain't easy, I bet he got lowballed all the time, it freaking sucks things were so bad that this was even going through his head. Glad it all worked out for him but I feel so bad about the millions of other POCs that aren't so fortunate and in a similar boat to Giancarlo before he booked BB.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Usual Suspects, Do the Right Thing, Night on Earth, Malcolm X, King of New York... I mean he was in a lot. Not like it was all crap at all.

And the vast majority of those were bit parts that paid like shit. Being a PoC character actor in Hollywood doesn't pay the bills. Its why he (and many other actors) did do Sci-Fi Channel films like Chupacabra. They were shit, but they paid better.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Not to get too off topic, but there's good reasons why life insurance plans have so many caveats and rules.

No cover for suicide, you can't take out a plan for someone else, etc etc.

It's to avoid exactly this happening, or worse, people murdering absolute strangers who have no part in the plot at all. In this instance, if the investigation later found out the deceased had arranged for someone to kill him, the family would very likely have ended up fatherless and with no money at all anyway.

Once every few years a story will pop up about some homeless person who somehow had no place to live, but did have a life assurance policy, and ended up dead.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
That rough. At least this story has a happy ending.

Good Guy Vince Gilligan sure helped a lot of these very talented Breaking Bad actors get better looks from the entertainment industry. They all deserve it.

His team* has a real nose for underrated talent. So many actors I'd never heard of who are now favorites of mine.

(*Im sure Gilligan is involved himself too, but he's always very humble on the BB/BCS podcast, crediting others for 'finding' so and so land saying they got 'really lucky' there)

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm there right now tbh, I have a week and a half until I lose my expensive life insurance policy once I'm laid off and haven't been able to find a job yet, I have def thought about it more than a few times, like when I'm driving just veering off into a tree. Shit's dark man, it sucks that we are in a society where that's the one of the very few ways to ensure your family is financially taken care of.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Usual Suspects, Do the Right Thing, Night on Earth, Malcolm X, King of New York... I mean he was in a lot. Not like it was all crap at all.
Really shows how hard it is to make it in hollywood, especially as a POC.

You can be quite a few critically acclaimed and successful movies, and its still not enough to pay the bills. And, I get that he had small parts in all those movies, but I just think about all the actors who can't even land the small parts in movies, let alone the big ones.

Oct 25, 2017
He was in one episode of every Cop, Lawyer, or Medical procedural show you can think of.
He was also in Once Upon A Time and they didn't do shit with him
genie-600x338.jpg

latest

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
We have 'survival jobs' for a reason. I do acting whenever I can, but when I'm not I'm working 45+ hours a week at night. That's how I pay my bills and live. If I relied on just the acting, I'd be in the streets. All we can hope for is one day having our own 'Breaking Bad moment'. Very happy for him that he managed to get that and get out from under his debt and dark thoughts.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Sucks knowing no matter how talented you are or dedicated to the craft, you may not get your shot. All you can do is prepare for the moment should the opportunity come your way.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm there right now tbh, I have a week and a half until I lose my expensive life insurance policy once I'm laid off and haven't been able to find a job yet, I have def thought about it more than a few times, like when I'm driving just veering off into a tree. Shit's dark man, it sucks that we are in a society where that's the one of the very few ways to ensure your family is financially taken care of.
Really hope something pans out for you soon.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

Being in a lot of things that are mostly (entirely? haven't seen all of those) bit parts that pays little still means you're paid little.

Acting is not a very profitable job unless you're top billing. And even then only the top of the top is really set for life. There's a reason even pretty popular actors will do sponsorships for other companies...they need the money lol.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
He was also in Once Upon A Time and they didn't do shit with him
genie-600x338.jpg

latest

Me and my ex-wife really enjoyed Once Upon a Time in the early seasons, and I remember both of looked at each other and were like, "What the fuck is Giancarlo Esposito doing on this show?! Dude should be blowing up the big screen!" It was made even worse, because they landed fucking Giancarlo Esposito on their show, and the best spot they could give him was Magic Mirror?! The fuck?! Unbelievable.

Yet not surprising. Being a person of color in the entertainment industry is fucking hard.

I work in the gaming industry, but even so, it is incredibly hard for women and people of color to really move up in their careers and start making enough money to make ends meet.

I honestly don't find it a coincidence that I didn't finally get my career footing underneath me in this industry until I landed at a studio that had an incredibly diverse mix of people up and down the "hierarchy", and one of our CEO's was a person of color who also started entry level many moons ago, and, thanks to lucking into a mentor who took him under his wing, was able to advance in his career to the point where he could start up his own studio with others, and try to give his employees that kind of opportunity to grow and thrive.

No, I'm still not where I want to be, but I am immensely grateful that I took up my former coworker's offer to interview at this place, because I wouldn't be where I'm at now if I hadn't, that's for sure.

Sorry for the ramble. On topic, this is so fucking heartbreaking that he was driven to consider such a desperate play, but it doesn't shock me at all. The things we'd do to take care of our loved ones and give them the life we never had ourselves is immense.

I'm so glad that he was able to get his opportunity with Breaking Bad, and that it was such a meaty role that it opened more doors for him to success, and he didn't have to pursue such extreme measures, which likely wouldn't have had the result he hoped for (especially if an investigation uncovered his plan; his children would have got nothing, and yet still would have lost their father).

I just wish more actors of color, and women, and LGBTQ+ performers were also able to see success in a craft that they love so much, and that can bring so much joy and entertainment to us. Sadly, that's just not how the entertainment industry works. It always amuses me when I hear a lot of conservative talking points about how "liberal" and "progressive" Hollywood is, when, it's honestly just as much of a fucked up cesspool as any other industry where billions of dollars are in play.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Ugh I feel his pain. When I was in the deepest throes of my depression I had tried to rationalize my suicidal tendencies with the same financial reasoning for my wife and kids. Thankfully neither he nor I went through with it, because no amount of life insurance would alleviate that trauma

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Life can be cruel but it's nice when a struggling person is pulled out of despair like landing Breaking Bad did for him.
It's awful to do but i can't help but think of myself and how i haven't had income for a year and six months, how i have no more future prospects and no way to get out of all of this, is it any surprise I'm constantly struggling with suicidal ideation?
I probably won't ever get my "breaking bad" moment and i probably have just a few months until I'm living in the streets.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
There has too be more to this then "Acting doesn't play well" but looking at his 2007 it seems to be his worst year in terms of acting gigs. One TV show, a straight to DVD movie and a movie led by Omarion as his son.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
There has too be more to this then "Acting doesn't play well" but looking at his 2007 it seems to be his worst year in terms of acting gigs. One TV show, a straight to DVD movie and a movie led by Omarion as his son.

We have the numbers on this.

www.rollingstone.com

Most SAG Actors Don't Even Make A Living Wage. Here Are Their Stories

According to SAG-AFTRA, only 14% of its members make at least $26,470 annually to qualify for SAG-AFTRA healthcare coverage.

Only 7% of SAG-AFTRA actors and performers earn $80,000 or more a year, and 14% of SAG-AFTRA members make at least $26,470 annually to qualify for SAG-AFTRA health plan coverage, SAG-AFTRA chief economist David Viviano informed Rolling Stone.

Only 14% of actors make more than $26,470/year.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017

There was a writers strike happening that affected a lot of productions. My guess is that he was hit by the recession hard too, as 2008 would've been right in the middle of it. Between the bankruptcy and how long he had been working as an actor it just doesn't seem like a coincidence.