What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I'm mad at god. I curse him. I denounce him and all he has created.....and then I saw Shenmue 3

Votes: 100 32.7%
  • Pogi Boy Swag

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • We Love Crime And God

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • SAY NOPE TO DOPE!

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • VirginLoser Has Invited You Into Their Apartment

Votes: 97 31.7%
  • Erotic French Fries

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Your Gateway To The Zen Of Gaming

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I mean the wrestling segment in the Beastcast made me roll my eyes especially the Vince mention by Dan but if AEW is a positive impact on the wrestling community and obliterates the WWE and that shitlord McMahon then I'm all for it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan put as much thought on acknowledging the stuff surrounding the WWE in the newsletter as Alex did in acknowledging the stuff surrounding Rockstar's labor issues in his RDR2 review. As in, barely. Do better, duders.
At least they talked about that and other labor issues fairly extensively on the podcasts. Alex especially. I don't think that's on this level.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
That is very much the kind of article I expect to read from someone who doesn't think Metal Gear is political, on the eve of the company going back to a country for a show where several performers aren't allowed to go due to their nationality or gender, and that the company realizes is super toxic to the point where they don't even mention on Television where the show is taking place.

I mean yes, all of this, but also Jamal Khashoggi.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I hear ya, but also I love wrestling and I am fully on board with fuck WWE these days, the other options popping up are refreshing and i guess that's what i wanted to hear from Dan, but nope
I think you can still support the wrestlers while dismissing the WWE, tho that becomes harder because of Vince's role. As for Dan, maybe we expect too much.
Yes he has the right to do it, just as others have the right to criticize him for it
I agree.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dan prefers to be ignorant of things that get in the way of his happiness. I don't agree with that choice, but he has the right to it. It would be nice if he wasn't so painfully lacking in selfawareness of that ignorance.
I have the right to complain when he's sending that ignorance directly into my inbox, to be fair.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never claimed otherwise. I'm saying his lacking of selfawareness is what leads to this newsletter getting out together and sent out. Dan can be ignorant if he wants, but he should keep it to himself.
I think the real failure here is that no one else stepped in and told Dan to knock it the fuck off, personally. I can easily believe that Dan is enough of a cock-eyed dipshit to think that newsletter was a good idea, but someone else somewhere along the line should have spiked it long before it was sent to customers.

I don't remember this kind of reaction to the powerbombcast. Shit was just as bad back then.

I had the choice not to listen the wrestling podcast if I so wished.

I didn't get a heads-up that the mailing list for the video game site that I signed up to was going to push that shit out, though.

Oct 25, 2017
They should really bring back the Powerbombcast. They just can't contain the wrestling talk, it's everywhere, eventhough they seem to have a soft ban on it. Bring it back and leave it in there.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember this kind of reaction to the powerbombcast.

I take your point, but also, attitudes in wrestling are moving on swiftly and more voices are being heard and calling WWE out on its shit. Your argument is akin to "I didn't hear complaining about booth babes ten years ago so don't talk about it now". People change, communities change. There is a section of the wrestling community moving on from hand-waving away Vince McMahon's bullshit, and not just creatively but also for all these more important issues. So you gotta move with the times or be challenged.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember this kind of reaction to the powerbombcast. Shit was just as bad back then.
I assume most people who think the WWE is shit never listened to its contents (I didn't). Also there's probably more awareness about it now. This is kind of a whataboutist response.

To be clear I think, obviously, you can talk about the WWE as an entertainment product. Lots of art and entertainment has problematic underpinnings. But to write a newsletter all about the WWE and how it's bad and to just completely gloss over the Saudi stuff, while bringing it up, is just weird. Especially given that this is a Giant Bomb newsletter!

Oct 27, 2017
I take your point, but also, attitudes in wrestling are moving on swiftly and more voices are being heard and calling WWE out on its shit. Your argument is akin to "I didn't hear complaining about booth babes ten years ago so don't talk about it now". People change, communities change. There is a section of the wrestling community moving on from hand-waving away Vince McMahon's bullshit, and not just creatively but also for all these more important issues. So you gotta move with the times or be challenged.
IDK your post might as well be Dan's newsletter. Really objectionable gross shit has ALWAYS been baked into the WWE cake. Some people were ALWAYS complaining about booth babes in the same way some people have ALWAYS been complaining about the WWE so I don't think my argument is akin to that at all. The fact some are now no longer willing to hand-wave the WWE doesn't excuse all their hand-waving.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Powerbombcast was something you could skip, (i did) the newsletter is something fed to my inbox.
I don't know if they read replies to that email but i replied back after reading it this morning.
Not cool at all. Very disappointed but not shocked.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
IDK your post might as well be Dan's newsletter. Really objectionable gross shit has ALWAYS been baked into the WWE cake. Some people were ALWAYS complaining about booth babes in the same way some people have ALWAYS been complaining about the WWE so I don't think my argument is akin to that at all.

Some people have, more power to them, that shouldn't be used as a reason to stop people who are coming to the conversation later from airing their voices. Should Giant Bomb not comment on labour practices in the video game industry moving forward because they haven't meaningfully before? Not sure what you mean by the newsletter comment, wrestling does not equal WWE.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real failure here is that no one else stepped in and told Dan to knock it the fuck off, personally. I can easily believe that Dan is enough of a cock-eyed dipshit to think that newsletter was a good idea, but someone else somewhere along the line should have spiked it long before it was sent to customers.
Yeah I think this is the part that dissapoint me the most in all this.

Dan to be a Vince puppet is par for the course and expected at this point... The rest of the staff signing off on it tho...

We're back to what I was saying earlier about having one of your employee tarnishing the company reputation in public... At some point Jeff will have to play his boss role and sit Dan the fuck down to have a talk...

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK your post might as well be Dan's newsletter. Really objectionable gross shit has ALWAYS been baked into the WWE cake. Some people were ALWAYS complaining about booth babes in the same way some people have ALWAYS been complaining about the WWE so I don't think my argument is akin to that at all. The fact some are now no longer willing to hand-wave the WWE doesn't excuse all their hand-waving.
This is some bullshit. So if you didn't have any issues from the start (maybe because you didn't know??) means you're not allowed to change your mind? foh with this false equivalence of "your post might as well be Dan's newsletter". This post is just one tiny step removed from complaining about outrage culture or PC police.

should've been born woke brehs!!!

Oct 27, 2017
So if you didn't have any issues from the start (maybe because you didn't know??) means you're not allowed to change your mind?
No, obviously not. I am suggesting that longtime WWE fans don't have much of a leg to stand on in terms of aggressively going after current WWE fans or even wrestling fans talking about WWE.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the best way to get criticism on this issue actually acknowledge would be to reach out to Jeff on tumblr, it seems to be the most consistent way to get a reply out of him.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah I think this is the part that dissapoint me the most in all this.

Dan to be a Vince puppet is par for the course and expected at this point... The rest of the staff signing off on it tho...

We're back to what I was saying earlier about having one of your employee tarnishing the company reputation in public... At some point Jeff will have to play his boss role and sit Dan the fuck down to have a talk...
Honestly I feel like the other Beasters have already given up on Dan, but sad nontheless. So I hope Jeff steps in and has a real talk with Dan. I wonder how such talk might look like - can't imagine having a serious discussion with Dan about politics and ethics.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
He really should've ran the email past Alex or Austin. I have a hard time believing that the rest of the crew signed off on this.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Wrestling had a reputation for being shitty and trashy for decades, and it's a reputation people looked past because they were enjoying what they were seeing. Dan is like most of them with trying to ignore that shit.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

So be honest, who in here is actually unsubscribing? I've seen 1 person say they would but I haven't seen anyone else.

Let's see who's gonna walk the walk.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
So be honest, who in here is actually unsubscribing? I've seen 1 person say they would but I haven't seen anyone else.

I'm not unsubbing. But I'm expressing my disappointment and hoping they listen and don't let this shit continue unchecked. Why should I have to unsub. What a garbage post

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see the response from the rest of the GB crew first. If I based my subscription off of just Dan I would've unsubbed ages ago.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not unsubbing. But I'm expressing my disappointment and hoping they listen and don't let this shit continue unchecked. Why should I have to unsub. What a garbage post
You mean like it's changed the other times they've mentioned WWE right? Is that the direction you're going with here?

What if they don't listen? You still gonna stay subbed?

May 5, 2018
giphy.gif

I'm not unsubbing. Dan's voice isn't representative of GB as a whole. But it's a bummer they let this newsletter out without checking it. I get Dan is someone whose really fond of wrestling and basically grew up on the WWE brand so it might be hard for him to move on. It's especially hard for him to quit when he's already friends with talent of that company. But he needs to have much better awareness of the real terrible garbage the WWE is responsible for and needs to consider that when he talks or chooses not to talk about the WWE. I would like to see what the rest of the crew say about the newsletter if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.