• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The comments are informing me this video is not only anti-male but anti-white. Gillette how dare you.
I tend to be someone that is hopeful about being able to reach people through discussion, but anyone who seriously sees this as anti-male is beyond reach. Those YouTube dislikes and comments are disconcerting to say the least.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the ad. I also disliked it on YouTube.

Before mocking me please at least hear me out... I grew up with sisters and a single mother who worked hard for everything we got. So I have great respect for women. I know this ad wasn't directed at me but it still annoys me anyways.

The reason is the way it seems to portray toxic masculinity as an almost exclusively white male problem. Don't get me wrong there's at least one adult black man in the video being toxic but it just feels like he was thrown in after someone brought the issue up.

Imagine this video if the skin color on all the white and black men was reversed. Imagine how a black man would feel watching such an ad with the scenes at 0:37-0:38, 1:48, 0:56-1:00 and 1:01-1:05.

If the ad had shown that this is a problem with all races by showing all (or most) of them being toxic then I would have been completely fine with it. As it stands now I won't be buying any more Gillette products since every time I look at them I'll just be reminded of this commercial. Not really a loss since I recently got a Braun shaver anyways and would have been cutting back on razors.

I also understand that people will just assume I'm a far right asshole when the reality is I'm a Canadian liberal that despises Trump. I've probably made some enemies with my first post but I wanted people to know that not everyone offended is a right wing troll.
LOL

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care about the racist clowns who got triggered over the message of the commercial, especially when said message was so harmless to begin with.

What I meant is, if you're going to make a socially positive message like that, then you better go all-in, address your own failure as a company that re-affirmed these toxic beliefs, instead of pretending like you care when it's just another marketing ploy that everyone will forget about after 5 months.

https://gillette.com/en-us/the-best-men-can-be

They at least address it and what their new efforts will be here.

I do think some of the levels of scrutiny yall are applying are unreasonable though. Corporations are profit driven yes, but they do not have to address social issues this directly and this openly to their base. Corporations are made of people and people in them are able to afflict some level of positive change. A company coming out and acknowledging they have a responsibility is a positive. It doesn't all have to come from some deep evil intention.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Why do angry white men always want black guys to be equally represented in negative portrayals, when they're not equally represented by population? And that the example of a minority doing the same thing is tokenism?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You have to go looking for it. Like people who already hate a movie and pause fight scenes in so they can argue about how bad the choreography is because someone actually missed a punch.

It's not. I gaurantee you the guy was looking to move the conversation towards white fragility using an alt account so he can post screenshots or links elsewhere of people here yelling about how shitty white dudes are thus making white men look like victims and era look like a white hating mob. It's all for the circlejerk, you see.

I guess. It's just weird. Actively missing the point.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Seems like an ok ad with a decent message

*** Reads comments in YouTube ***

giphy.gif

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Great ad, but I'm not surprised at the negative reaction.

Some men simply don't want to change the way they act and behave, they see it as a sign of weakness or failure, which is toxic in itself.

Oct 26, 2017
https://gillette.com/en-us/the-best-men-can-be

They at least address it and what their new efforts will be here.

I do think some of the levels of scrutiny yall are applying are unreasonable though. Corporations are profit driven yes, but they do not have to address social issues this directly and this openly to their base. Corporations are made of people and people in them are able to afflict some level of positive change. A company coming out and acknowledging they have a responsibility is a positive. It doesn't all have to come from some deep evil intention.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Gillette to put the same level of emphasis on themselves in the commercial as they did in the press release that you posted. Instead, the commercial chooses to focus on experiences that men and women face on a regular basis and ignores the point of where Gillette had an influence on brewing these ideas and expectations within the culture. Which in turn, comes off as very sterile and corporate to the point of hypocrisy.

This is where you and I differ, you see corporations as being made of people having the ability to afflict some level of change. I'm way more cynical given what we've seen corporations do regardless of being made of people that had the ability to afflict change, from gross exploitation of labour and people, all the way down to putting money ahead of people. Obviously, not all corporations are like this.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I loved the ad, but my heart sank when I saw the like-to-dislike ratio. It's meaningless, all of it. None of this is gonna matter if people don't change.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Gillette to put the same level of emphasis on themselves in the commercial as they did in the press release that you posted. Instead, the commercial chooses to focus on experiences that men and women face on a regular basis and ignores the point of where Gillette had an influence on brewing these ideas and expectations within the culture. Which in turn, comes off as very sterile and corporate to the point of hypocrisy.

Honestly, its a < 2min ad. I don't think the point was to be a dissertation about their role in promoting toxic masculinity. It's more about challenging men to be better and how they are going to start to take responsibility. They acknowledge it. I dunno, the way you are talking I honestly don't think anything would satisfy you based on everything you've posted.

This is where you and I differ, you see corporations as being made of people having the ability to afflict some level of change. I'm way more cynical given what we've seen corporations do regardless of being made of people that had the ability to afflict change, from gross exploitation of labour and people, all the way down to putting money ahead of people. Obviously, not all corporations are like this.

Advertising influences everything. So a corporation admitting they need to change the way they advertise is something that has to come at an organizational level. Sex sells. There isn't much reason they need to make any drastic shifts in their marketing besides general trends. The fact they put this out implies people within the organization wanted to promote some sort of change. And corporations obviously will still do shitty things because capitalism it is still a profit driven model that is easily exploited. But it feels like it's just ignoring reality to think that because corporations are shit on some issues, they can't therefore strive to be better on other issues.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
People are getting bent out of shape over that...wow. That commercial can be distilled to "guys, don't be assholes." What a world we live in.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Love this ad, I'll buy some next time.

I want to support companies that feel this way, if I have to support companies.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
The person who gets offended at this ad... I can't see any hope for them. They just can't self reflect at all, they can't be introspective, they can't... think, they can't question things. They see no purpose in self improvement or spreading a positive message. They either want to be victims or rage against this apparently liberal agenda of being a good person. It's really sad.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Powerful ad.

Always crazy to see people react negatively to something like this. In most cases, it's people being offended by people being offended. Here, it's literally people being offended over an ad that's opposed to sexual harassment. Like, how do you go against an ad like this without seeming like a complete asshole?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've talked to numerous dudes about this ad today and no one understands where all this toxic hate is coming from. The ad showed men protrayed as bullies as well as men who stood up to bullies. Why do so many men see themselves as the bully? Says a lot.

Guess I don't surround myself with toxic, overly sensitive guys.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, didn't see the like/dislike ratio on YouTube either. The internet was a mistake.

I've talked to numerous dudes about this ad today and no one understands where all this toxic hate is coming from. The ad showed men protrayed as bullies as well as men who stood up to bullies. Why do so many men see themselves as the bully? Says a lot.

Guess I don't surround myself with toxic, overly sensitive guys.
It really does say a lot about someone who feels attacked by this ad.

Like those people jokingly commenting about not being able to so much as make eye contact with a woman without being reported to HR.

Just stop harassing women. Holy shit.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a calculated video designed to get the reaction it received. They could easily have gotten the same message across without the ham-fisted drama scenes. Show a man crying, hugging his child, pulling away from a fight, etc. Show men breaking these mores in a positive light. I get this was a play off the original, but they over compensated going from glamour to adversarial. Also sticking with the only demographic you can possibly paint negative just shows how safe and by the numbers this was.

I'm still using their products but this is a fairly strange thing for a company to put out. Imagine if Dove's woman's image campaign focused on female toxicity and the pressures woman put on each other? Thankfully rather then delve into that they focused on trying to address unrealistic body image. Also, let's be honest here anyone receptive to this is most likely not it's target. But people are talking about Gillette a lot so, win.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
"I can't possibly be a misogynist because I respect my mother..."
No those people never respect their mother, they just "love" their mother. Well, they actually "love" that their mother always treated them like a prince.
Actually, they don't really give a fuck about their mother. They just miss their asses being wiped and their meal being fed.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was
Thank god.

I have no idea what the point of your post was, and I read it multiple times. "It's calculated to have a good message"? "Women are toxic too, so male toxicity doesn't really matter"? "Why didn't they make me look better"?

Considering your response I don't think you actually care about what I'm trying to say.

Edit:. Please show me where I said anything related to the bolded.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Imagine if Dove's woman's image campaign focused on female toxicity and the pressures woman put on each other? Thankfully rather then delve into that they focused on trying to address unrealistic body image. Also, let's be honest here anyone receptive to this is most likely not it's target. But people are talking about Gillette a lot so, win.
You do realize that female toxicity manifests in a completely different way to male toxicity, right? And that Dove has had several different angles in their positivity campaign over the years? Right?