Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
"Venus is committed to representing beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and skin types because ALL types of beautiful skin deserve to be shown. We love Anna because she lives out loud and loves her skin no matter how the "rules" say she should display it "

The very tweet explains it.
Can I just say how perfectly that tweet is worded? Just vague enough so that you can get anything you want out of it. The implication of tying obesity to body acceptance is clearly there, but it's just vague enough that other people can rightfully say "they're just calling her beautiful, what's wrong with that".

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm sorry but do you not recognize that obesity and poverty are very intensely linked at least in the US? Families that have parents forced to work multiple jobs to barely stay afloat will turn towards the easy choice to feed their kids because they don't have the ability to make a meal. In many places getting access to fresh food is significantly more difficult than just buying a fast food meal.

In these instances children of those families are quite literally born into obesity. And you can say that well a child could choose to exercise, but in many cases that isn't true either. They may have to end up caring for their younger siblings because their parents are working multiple jobs and aren't able to care for them. Or they may even have to get a job as well to assist their parents.

Obesity is a problem and it needs to be dealt with I agree, but it isn't nearly as much of a choice as many people like to claim it is.
I did mention exactly that in the follow up conversation with RDreamer . Poverty can (and does) lead to obesity in developed countries. However my views aren't limited to the US, which is why I still don't feel the comparison is apt.

When we talk about poverty, especially in certain parts of the world, we're talking about something that without massive amounts of external help from other countries can't be changed at all, no matter what the actual individuals do. We're talking about infants being condemned to death the moment they're born, simply because access to food and water is either insuficient or inexistent, along with any proper medical care.

Not the case with many cases of obesity, I feel. Again, there are plenty of medical conditions that don't fall into the possibility of self or friends/family help, those require proper medical treatment and lot of time and patience (even then, sometimes they don't properly work out, unfortunately). A lot of it, however, is unhealthy diets and habits that we can change with or without help. That was the case for me and many others that managed to go from overweight to "average" (I still wouldn't call myself "slim", but I'm getting there) per say.

I'm not disagreeing that this is an issue mind you, I just felt the comparison wasn't the best, is all.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is embarassing: how dare this woman go and enjoy herself at the beach regardless of her weight and size! why don't y'all take the advice you give to everyone who just had a break up and hit the gym caused y'all worked up for no damn reason; Gellete got y'all triggered for trying to sell razors...LMAO!!!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Morbid obesity is literally anything over 40 BMI. That's not "much lower" than people think. That's like more than a hundred pounds excess weight on a 6'1'' male frame. Don't trivialize that shit.
Yeah dude and I EXIST IN THAT SPACE yet I walk 5+ miles a day. Wake up 5:45 am to get to work at 7 am. Have two 100 calorie yogurt cups for breakfast, eat the normal entree in our cafeteria for lunch, no more no less, and then usually a small single snack at 3 and have a smaller meal or a protein shake for dinner. Yet the weight persists and hovers between 280-290 pounds for me. AND I do all of my daily duty's and lift heavy shit and chores and have a clean apartment and pay my bills.

So PLEASE. Tell me what my life style is like.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you seem to understand now that trying to police behavior in a thread, while not following your own example isn't helpful to the discussion. I'm happy to leave it there.

What about if they used a meth addict on the road to recovery? Again, why this presumption that the woman in the advert isn't making healthy choices? What's her blood pressure? What's her lung capacity? We see her enjoying the outdoors. We don't want to encourage that?

Will they though? That itself should let you know exactly what Procter and Gamble are doing. There isn't such a cultural spotlight on recovering drug addicts than there is body size.

But in your hypothetical, you have implied "meth addict on the road to recovery". Does that mean you suggest if you're obese it should be a road to recovery as well? Because there's a difference in how drug addiction tends to be viewed from obesity at times. Often it's framed if you are obese, you can stay how you are if you want to. With drug addiction, especially hard drugs, hardly anyone says "go for it, you look great how you are". We'd like to think no one will shame a crack addict, but no one really implies they should stay as they are. Hence your "road to recovery". Unless I go and trawl through this actor's public social media accounts and see if they are trying to go on a "road of recovery", I can't really imply anything, no.

But I already said what my main points of contention in this topic are, and they're not necessarily with the ad itself. It's the public discourse and the blurring the lines of stating to be skinny is to be anorexic and to be overweight is to be obese. That is just not true. Both are on the outter fringes of the illnesses, irrespective of like 40% of America being obese. That might be approaching a majority, but obesity is still on the fringes of being overweight, as anorexia will always be for skinny people.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah dude and I EXIST IN THAT SPACE yet I walk 5+ miles a day. Wake up 5:45 am to get to work at 7 am. Have two 100 calorie yogurt cups for breakfast, eat the normal entree in our cafeteria for lunch, no more no less, and then usually a small single snack at 3 and have a smaller meal or a protein shake for dinner. Yet the weight persists and hovers between 280-290 pounds for me. AND I do all of my daily duty's and lift heavy shit and chores and have a clean apartment and pay my bills.

So PLEASE. Tell me what my life style is like.
Chill the fuck out.

I mean, what are you saying here, exactly? That you're trying to lose weight by eating healthy and moving a lot, but it just isn't working, so you're assuming that your weight is healthy?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
As a PT I hate the normalizing of people that are obese. There are so many health problems that come with being that over-weight. I see so many people in my line of work that have so many conditions due to being over weight and obese.

I am still not going to body shame them, but I am not going to speak positively about being so unhealthy either. We should not being making obesity a positve thing.
This ad is in no way disputing the fact that being overweight leads to health problems. Society (including the media) already tells overweight people that they're unhealthy, ugly, are gonna die early, and stuff like that, and overweight people are much too often a punchline for laughs. It pushes obese people to be mentally and physically unhealthy, be afraid of who they are, and stay inside, inactive, continuing their downward spiral. I personally know several overweight people who won't go to the beach because they don't like their body. The ad is trying to counteract that by giving them a little positivity to live life without worrying about others' thoughts toward them.

Oct 25, 2017
Body shaming is not something that only happens between individuals in some direct confrontation. Thinking obese people should hide their bodies and not be visible in media is body shaming. Thinking that an obese woman should not be in a razor add in a way that doesn't overtly stigmatize her obesity is body shaming. Concern posting on the internet about the sight of an obese woman portrayed in a non-abject manner "normalizing obesity" is body shaming.

There's a difference between "obese is healthy" and "don't hate yourself." It seems hard for some people to avoid the former without also ditching the latter.

Also to hell with you all for getting me to come in here and defend a corporate ad campaign lol.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. Explain how that suggests obesity is good.
It is normalizing obesity by comparing it to "all shapes and sizes of women". This isn't a woman that has a curves etc, this is a overweight lady that is risking her health by being that big. If you can't see that then there is no point in us debating as we have different views.

Jun 10, 2018
I've seen awareness campaigns (so ads kinda?) to not treat addicts as second class citizens and to judge/shame them. It excludes them, it depresses them, it attaches harmful stereotypes to them, it makes it harder to ask for help.

And I wouldn't object to an ad of an addict on a beach, wearing a swimsuit and being happy. The addict has every right to be there feeling good and not being ashamed. It wouldn't be glorifying the problem they have.
To be fair - those awareness ads only came about recently when the institutions at large realized it wasn't just black people suffering. Prior to that it was very much status quo to shame, ridicule, and exclude drug addicts because of strict racial association and accompanying stereotypes.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
It is normalizing obesity by comparing it to "all shapes and sizes of women". This isn't a woman that has a curves etc, this is a overweight lady that is risking her health by being that big. If you can't see that then there is no point in us debating as we have different views.

oh brother. let fat people live.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This ad is in no way disputing the fact that being overweight leads to health problems. Society (including the media) already tells overweight people that they're unhealthy, ugly, are gonna die early, and stuff like that, and overweight people are much too often a punchline for laughs. It pushes obese people to be mentally and physically unhealthy, be afraid of who they are, and stay inside, inactive, continuing their downward spiral. I personally know several overweight people who won't go to the beach because they don't like their body. The ad is trying to counteract that by giving them a little positivity to live life without worrying about others' thoughts toward them.
I and others don't read it like that. Which is the whole problem with the ad.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And you don't know the first thing about her other than her weight. You've judged her solely by her size. You have no idea what lifestyle choices she is making. The point of the advert is that she shouldn't be ashamed to show her *skin*.

Should she?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You mean the lady outside being active?

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you don't know the first thing about her other than her weight. You've judged her solely by her size. You have no idea what lifestyle choices she is making. The point of the advert is that she shouldn't be ashamed to show her *skin*.

Should she?
It is unhealthy to be that big simple as that. Notice nowhere am I shaming her for showing her skin, so I don't get you even saying that.

Who is overweight yes

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It is unhealthy to be that big simple as that. Notice nowhere am I shaming her for showing her skin, so I don't get you even saying that.
This is something everybody knows. Honestly failing to see your point in this thread then if you're just stating the obvious. Nonetheless, fat people do exist, do live, do buy clothes and wear makeup just like everybody else. They go to the beach and even smile, even where there are people watching them with judging eyes and thinking, you're unhealthy, go away where you can't be seen.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is unhealthy to be that big simple as that.
At which point your argument becomes the mere existence of obese people in advertising, even if they're doing healthy things like exercising at a beach, is inherently promoting obesity, and thus they should be relegated to nonexistence in advertising.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
We shouldn't shame overweight/obese people for going to the beach but that isn't really my idea of being active. On top of that, you aren't going to achieve a healthy lifestyle just by moderate exercise, it's 95% about your diet. Having said that, most people don't really understand how that works and the obesity epidemic is clearly a societal failure.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Chill the fuck out.

I mean, what are you saying here, exactly? That you're trying to lose weight by eating healthy and moving a lot, but it just isn't working, so you're assuming that your weight is healthy?
No, of course my weights not healthy. You are just being kind of obtuse and a jerk now.

I'm saying I live a perfectly normal life, I don't "struggle" to live normally, to walk, to run. Any of it.

Oct 29, 2017

Do you believe obese people should feel too ashamed to go to the beach?

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At which point your argument becomes the mere existence of obese people in advertising, even if they're doing healthy things like exercising at a beach, is inherently promoting obesity, and thus they should be relegated to nonexistence in advertising.
Nope it is comparing obese people to "all shapes and sizes of women" that is my problem it is normalizing obesity.

Do you believe obese people should feel too ashamed to go to the beach?
Nope

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You're talking about the advert as if it is promoting her weight as a positive thing. It isn't. It's saying that she shouldn't be ashamed to show her skin. It very specifically says that. It shows a woman in a bikini. Showing her skin. It isn't saying 'big is beautiful'.

We don't know her *current* behaviors beyond that she likes to have a good time at the beach.

Obese people exist, and we should help them. I don't think we're helping them if we say they shouldn't wear bikinis.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017

Who is overweight yes

Your argument is that having the audacity to show fat people who are happy in their own skin is a bad thing. So yeah, you kinda are.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the advert as if it is promoting her weight as a positive thing. It isn't. It's saying that she shouldn't be ashamed to show her skin. It very specifically says that. It shows a woman in a bikini. Showing her skin. It isn't saying 'big is beautiful'.

We don't know her *current* behaviors beyond that she likes to have a good time at the beach.

Obese people exist, and we should help them. I don't think we're helping them if we say they shouldn't wear bikinis.
I didn't say anything about her at all. She can be on a nudist beach for all I care. It is the wording of the ad I dislike.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is overweight yes

She should stay inside her cave until Beefy decides she's thin enough to appear in an ad.

We shouldn't shame overweight/obese people for going to the beach but that isn't really my idea of being active. On top of that, you aren't going to achieve a healthy lifestyle just by moderate exercise, it's 95% about your diet. Having said that, most people don't really understand how that works and the obesity epidemic is clearly a societal failure.

I wonder if the shitty attitude we see about this simple tweet is partially indicative of why that is.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let this sink in: Era has more sympathy for racists than obese people

And don't anyone better be huffing and puffing semantics by saying not all Era

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's smartly written, but the implication is pretty clear that the "rules" are outdated, and the model is brave for disregarding them.

What's difficult is that we're talking about two sets of rules: beauty and health. One is subjective, but the other absolutely isn't. If she's brave for being herself and feeling positive despite not conforming to contemporaneous standards of beauty, then more power to her, obviously. Everyone has the right to feel attractive.

If the suggestion is that she's brave for disregarding the rules of medical science - that being morbidly obese will be a direct contributor to her early death - then that's obviously far less positive a message.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again the reason folks have a hard time articulating their objection to the ad with anything approaching coherence or specificity is because it's nothing more than an attempt to justify their "ewww a fat lady" reaction.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
I and others don't read it like that. Which is the whole problem with the ad.

I agree that a lot of people don't read it that way. I think that is a matter of perception though - because the ad is pretty clear. I don't think its on Gillette to add '*we still think obesity is a problem and its unhealthy'. People are assuming that Gillette is trying to say otherwise because we are hyper-sensitive on this issue and we fill in the blanks.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the shitty attitude we see about this simple tweet is partially indicative of why that is.
I mean obviously, right? People in general who are both skinny and overweight don't have a proper grasp of nutrition/food science so the ones who luck out get all high and mighty as people always love to look down their nose at someone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
t's smartly written, but the implication is pretty clear that the "rules" are outdated, and the model is brave for disregarding them.
The rule being that obese people shouldn't wear revealing clothing because people are disgusted by their bodies.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is she not a shape and size of woman? You're getting pedantic now.
Not really pedantic Nep. The ad is the problem as for me and many others it seems, view it as normalizing obesity. I have no problem with obese people they can choose how they live even it does mean they have many health complications due to their size.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Not really pedantic Nep. The ad is the problem as for me and many others it seems, view it as normalizing obesity. I have no problem with obese people they can choose how they live even it does mean they have many health complications due to their size.

"I have no problem with obese people, so long as they're not obese where I can see them"

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I did mention exactly that in the follow up conversation with @RDreamer . Poverty can (and does) lead to obesity in developed countries. However my views aren't limited to the US, which is why I still don't feel the comparison is apt.

This is a stupid cop-out though.

I'm comparing things within the same country. I'm talking about societal issues, and you're saying well that can't be a comparison because other countries have different societal issues?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

How is it normalizing obesity?

By showing that they exist?

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I didn't say anything about her at all. She can be on a nudist beach for all I care. It is the wording of the ad I dislike.
Venus is committed to representing beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and skin types because ALL types of beautiful skin deserve to be shown. We love Anna because she lives out loud and loves her skin no matter how the "rules" say she should display it

Let me paraphrase this a bit: Venus (the brand) is committed to representing beautiful women of all kinds. Anna (the model) loves her skin and showing it off.

Should Venus not represent all women?
Should Anna not love her skin?

I think you have to really laser in on the inference that beauty can be found in all sizes to take issue with the wording here.

It's smartly written, but the implication is pretty clear that the "rules" are outdated, and the model is brave for disregarding them.

What's difficult is that we're talking about two sets of rules: beauty and health. One is subjective, but the other absolutely isn't. If she's brave for being herself and feeling positive despite not conforming to contemporaneous standards of beauty, then more power to her, obviously. Everyone has the right to feel attractive.

If the suggestion is that she's brave for disregarding the rules of medical science - that being morbidly obese will be a direct contributor to her early death - then that's obviously far less positive a message.
It's talking about skin. It's talking about her cellulite and stretch marks and imperfections and how culture says such things should be kept under clothing. It's not talking about 'rules of medical science' relating to whether it's safe to be obese or not.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope it is comparing obese people to "all shapes and sizes of women" that is my problem it is normalizing obesity.

Nope
Showing a woman who is obese does not promote obesity. The entire point is that people shouldn't be ashamed to go out in public when both obese or overweight. How are they expected to be active when they are insulted for even being seen in public?

If you want to target the obesity epidemic you start with all the fast food, soda, red meat and dairy industries constantly advertising and pushing their product.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Again the reason folks have a hard time articulating their objection to the ad with anything approaching coherence or specificity is because it's nothing more than an attempt to justify their "ewww a fat lady" reaction.
I don't find her unattractive. If she can be a role model for overweight people who feel ugly because of their weight, then like I said: more power to her. And to them.

All of that aside, presenting her as a maverick who doesn't follow the rules is very conveniently disregarding a lot about her body.

RHANITAN

Oct 25, 2017
If people actually cared about health and obesity they should get this upset at literally every fast food commercial. Fast food commercial are actually promoting unhealthy shit to people pretty directly. Obese people feeling good enough to go out to the beach is probably good for their health.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am. They are just you repeating that the tweet normalizes obesity. You think that because you have to think that in order to justify your dislike of seeing fat ladies.
Notice I haven't sad "fat" at all in my posts. I respect overweight people enough not to say it. Yet I dislike seeing "fat" ladies, at this point you are just a troll.