Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There's a difference between having once said something shitty and grown from it, and an uncritical "shout out" to a dude who believes there's a middle ground to white nationalism, or thinks "some good came of the holocaust." Like, it's real easy to not do.

Hell, fucking Mark Hamill retweeted JK Rowling, and when people said the context of what she said was in support of transphobia, he immediately went "Wait what? Wow, nevermind fuck that."
This is something completely different, though. A retweet is basically spreading and usually endorsing whatever message was in that tweet. So his reaction afterwards is understandable. The pewdiepie thing is not even a shout out. They don't even write his name correctly. Or endorse anything he does/says

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Pewdiepie has been mentioned a hundred times in these threads. They mentioned him in a dumb joke ONCE, between all their videos. It wasn't a praise, it wasn't a shoutout, it wasn't a declaration of love, nor a support or pledge. His name was used in a joke once. This happened 7 months ago or so. People still bring this up. In reality my example is not even as bad as this because it implied people shall be thrown mud at for liking things. In their case they haven't even claimed to like his content or his persona, they literally namedropped him once for a joke. You know, on a fucking channel that lives by making meme-ish reviews of videogames in the first place. An even better example would be people getting insulted for 7 months and beyond because they've made a joke about CD Projekt. They crunch so they're bad, and since you mentioned them you're also bad. This is the level of insanity these threads reached.

But I'll end this here because I don't want to give thread derailers even more ground to continue doing so. If you wish to talk about this in more detail, feel free to drop me a PM.

No, those are all terrible examples. No one actually thinks that way, where something being flawed/troubled/problematic/whatever means it's bad and should be cancelled forever, and since all things that are bad and should be cancelled forever are roughly comparable, all flawed/troubled/problematic/whatever things are also roughly comparable and anyone who associates with such impurity is basically trash.

PDP is an alt-right adjacent YouTuber and someone who has been given a million passes without improving at all. Casually, jovially referencing him without actually wrestling with his bullshit kinda sucks. No one would still be bringing it up if other YouTube rot hasn't infiltrated GR's channel, if YouTube wasn't such a rotten platform in the first place, and if GR gave more of an impression of caring about all this.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
They are the cutest thing ever, bless the couple.
e7mYvuU.gif

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If "ResetEra" means "majority opinion" and we're going by this thread, apparently Girlfriend Reviews is the best thing ever and criticizing them with any degree of vehemence at all is beyond the pale.

Like, that one person probably went a little far calling them shitheels or whatever, but damn did the wagons circle.

Criticism is fine. Ideally, given how accessible they are, said criticism should be brought up directly to them, too, because 99% of people on the planet are not dialed in enough to Era or other progressive spheres to know of various influencers' wrongdoings. As far as I can tell, the only meaningful form of association they've had with a problematic person is an alleged stream with boogie, which I can't find.

Yes, GF Reviews could be more actively progressive, but they aren't. Most people aren't. Spread awareness before denouncing, otherwise it's virtual slacktivism. They apparently called out boogie and others on stream tonight when their actions were brought to their attention (although the stream isn't uploaded yet to verify).

You're actively ignoring that this entire derail began with these posts, which are the very things you've called others — disingenuous and overdramatic:

Whew, thank god. I don't know how I'd continue living without knowing what Pewdiepie's biggest fans look like.

Shame they turned out to be complete shitheels though with the PewDiePie and Boogie shout outs. It's what got me to stop watching their content in the end.

These are not criticism. The thread was not derailed by criticism. It was derailed by hyperbole derived from a game of telephone, which should have been moderated accordingly. I would wager neither person has even viewed the content they're lambasting them for, if they think it makes them "PDP's biggest fans" or "complete shitheels."

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Criticism is fine. Ideally, given how accessible they are, said criticism should be brought up directly to them, too, because 99% of people on the planet are not dialed in enough to Era or other progressive spheres to know of various influencers' wrongdoings. As far as I can tell, the only meaningful form of association they've had with a problematic person is an alleged stream with boogie, which I can't find.

Yes, GF Reviews could be more actively progressive, but they aren't. Most people aren't. Spread awareness before denouncing, otherwise it's virtual slacktivism. They apparently called out boogie and others on stream tonight when their actions were brought to their attention (although the stream isn't uploaded yet to verify).

You're actively ignoring that this entire derail began with these posts, which are the very things you've called others — disingenuous and overdramatic:

These are not criticism. The thread was not derailed by criticism. It was derailed by hyperbole derived from a game of telephone, which should have been moderated accordingly. I would wager neither person has even viewed the content they're lambasting them for, if they think it makes them "PDP's biggest fans" or "complete shitheels."

Great post

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Come on man, you can even see that they were probably originally going to just put "an asshole," hence the "an sort of an asshole" typo, and added the qualifier so people didn't lose the forest for the trees of to what extent Michael Jordan is an asshole. This is nitpicking to the nth degree.
i've little to no opinion of michael jordan, i'm on about PDP who is definitely worse than 'sort of' an asshole

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Somehow I generally prefer not knowing what the people behind the channels I watch look like

It doesn't detract or add to my experience, I just like to imagine a face that fits a voice, and when the real face is revealed, that's all I can imagine. Until I spend 5 years not watching their content and forgetting everything about them

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Ok - that's my bad then. I stopped watching the channel after the NakeyJakey situation.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'm not really helping out anything, then.

But, out of curiosity, who are these other YouTubers?
I'm fairly sure this is the only video that actually featured another youtuber.

Here's a single video with six:

They also have other videos with guest Youtubers, and I only watched some of their videos and none of their streams(where they're supposdly co stream a lot).
It's easy to paint a picture if you're out there specifically trying to paint the picture rather than seeking to fact check something.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I like them entertainment-wise, and Shelby is an adorable S-tier goof, but the more videos i watch the more i start to feel his input on the script.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just takes away some of the charm (Shelby's POV) of the channel for me.

He has always written the scripts. That's why they always reflect the actual experience the games. He's a professional writer/editor or whatever. She is a professional performer. They always go over the scripts together though and a lot of the gags are hers in recording. It's still very much a collaborative thing though. He's just a professional writer. For example when they are playing through the game, they'll take notes, both of them. That's as well as I remember.

They did a video about it a little bit ago.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Enter thread about cute gamer couple, first thing I see is something about the holocaust lol

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Love their stuff, and their faces!

With social media it's rare that you start off as fan without knowing what someone looks like. I'll never have as big of a shock as when I saw Lirik's face lol.

Re: all the negativity, ya'll need to get off your high horses and take a chill pill.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I watched their Fallen Order review after this, which I avoided because they can be bad with spoilers and boy, was that cathartic. They summed up my feelings on that game and its decent amount of hype perfectly.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Having read this thread, I will say that given the choice between users being 'overly-sensitive' about these issues or not being sensitive to it, I'd much rather it be the former.

I think a lot of the social problems we have are allowed to fester due to complacency and apathy. I think being aware of these things and being prepared to call out when popular figures are endorsing or promoting harmful voices is a good thing. Yes, it is complicated and messy and nuanced - but that doesn't mean they aren't real problems. It means we as a society have a big problem with how we discuss and confront it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I watched their Fallen Order review after this, which I avoided because they can be bad with spoilers and boy, was that cathartic. They summed up my feelings on that game and its decent amount of hype perfectly.

I haven't actually watched it yet for similar fear of spoilers. Is it safe to watch?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
He has always written the scripts. That's why they always reflect the actual experience the games. He's a professional writer/editor or whatever. She is a professional performer. They always go over the scripts together though and a lot of the gags are hers in recording. It's still very much a collaborative thing though. He's just a professional writer. For example when they are playing through the game, they'll take notes, both of them. That's as well as I remember.

They did a video about it a little bit ago.

Yep, if someone is looking for a "pure, unfiltered" experience from them, they stream a lot on Twitch. The YT videos are never too far off the mark from Shelby's experience though.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
When did they stream with Boogie? He tweeted out that their channel was amazing and they retweeted him with a comment saying, "Boogie has spoken". Where's the close relationship?

Never aparently. I just tried searching it on google with different terms and i cant find any reference to a stream (it was a 3 mins search tops, if it exists someone shoyuld be able to find it)
I did find Boogie tweeting at them "Why haven't we collabed yet?" and he never got an answer so...

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Never aparently. I just tried searching it on google with different terms and i cant find any reference to a stream
I did find Boogie tweeting at them "Why haven't we collabed yet?" and he never got an answer so...

So they never streamed with him AND they don't have a close relationship with him. Thought as much, so that's pure misinformation then... which doesn't help anything in this thread.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, if someone is looking for a "pure, unfiltered" experience from them, they stream a lot on Twitch. The YT videos are never too far off the mark from Shelby's experience though.

Which illustrates why they make such an excellent team.

I feel like people try to kinda tear them apart and turn it into this terrible thing. This weird like "oh I'm suspicious actually HE writes it" or anything, but then the whole "They like Pewdiepie" thing always over takes it.

Not saying anyone here was doing that whole negative thing, but it almost always starts. Like some suspicion that they can't possibly be that great or talented or wholesome. But maybe people are just jaded.

So they never streamed with him AND they don't have a close relationship with him. Thought as much, so that's pure misinformation then... which doesn't help anything in this thread.

And this always happens. ALWAYS happens. People start saying this really ridiculous stuff about a youtuber, and it always starts straying to hyperbole, and then further away from the actual truth, into outright falsehood (almost like there's this back-of-their-mind knowledge that really their position isn't so strong so they have to gently fabricate a feasible extra really weighty bullet point to their argument), to where some innocent person entering the thread may totally get the wrong impression. And I don't understand how people can think that's justifiable. Like, fuck intelligence or nuance. They suck so who cares how negative we make them out to be!

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Alright - here is a list of things that they have done that I would consider dog-whistling for alt-right views.

- PDP shout-out
- Anita Sarkeesian joke
- Close relationship with Boogie in the past, including streaming a session with him
- Comment encouraging people to check out NakeyJakey content, fairly soon after NakeyJakey controversy where he decided it was a great idea to hug known-racist JonTron.
- Following known racist JonTron on Twitter
- Other incidents I've only heard, can't validate

Given all this - and all the other solid YouTubers they could be advertising, how else would you interpret this?

If they regularly advertised for other YouTubers who DIDN'T have a history of racism, then I'd give them a little more benefit of the doubt.

But, they don't.

The content they create is still quality, but I'd rather not support these odd winks toward racist web personalities.
I watched the video in question. There wasn't any 'shout out' to PDP. Just a joke. A shout out implies a positive reference. This wasn't that.

And as posters before me have mentioned, they never streamed with Boogie. The 'close relationship' you mention was them simply quote-tweeting Boogie's tweet praising them.

Are the rest of your claims also based on outright lies and nonsensical exaggerations, or do you have proof to back them?

Because I'd love to see you substantiate your claims. Otherwise you're engaging in the kind of sloppy mudslinging the alt-right is usually known for.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video in question. There wasn't any 'shout out' to PDP. Just a joke. A shout out implies a positive reference. This wasn't that.

And as posters before me have mentioned, they never streamed with Boogie. The 'close relationship' you mention was them simply quote-tweeting Boogie's tweet praising them.

Are the rest of your claims also based on outright lies and nonsensical exaggerations, or do you have proof to back them?

Because I'd love to see you substantiate your claims. Otherwise you're engaging in the kind of sloppy mudslinging the alt-right is usually known for.

It's funny because outright pushing lies like this to attack someone, you'd think would be a bannable offense.

I don't really care either way. But at very least it's very poor form, and Glimlocker if your position is leading you into saying shit that is most definitely either a lie or certainly misleading, maybe you need to take a good hard look at your position. If you can't find any problems with it, well that's especially worrying. Because that's not a good thing.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
btw this happened yesterday aparently (its a post earlier on the thread)

They're streaming on Twitch right now and publicly denouncing PDP and Boogie and they're wondering why people on ResetEra are "alt-right trolls." I'm trying to educate the chat but it's hard.

I hope someone can actually get a clip of this so we finally, finally get evidence of something that really happened on stream

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually watched it yet for similar fear of spoilers. Is it safe to watch?

Well, there were minor spoilers about some mini bosses and something about a surprising character appearance that had been spoiled by the devs themselves in a big trailer anyway. I have formed very little attachment to the game while playing through it, so I would say it's safe to watch, but if it's captivating to you, you might as well wait a week or two more until you've completed it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
btw this happened yesterday aparently (its a post earlier on the thread)

I hope someone can actually get a clip of this so we finally, finally get evidence of something that really happened on stream

Does it really matter when people are pronouncing judgement on them without even seeing how they respond to criticism themselves?

I swear these people on here don't live in the real world. Your average joe-schmoe does not know this shit. And these two strike me very specifically as your average joe-schmoe. Given you don't see these kinds of bad beliefs or rhetoric or dogwhistling or anything even remotely like that in the rest of their content.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really matter when people are pronouncing judgement on them without even seeing how they respond to criticism themselves?

I swear these people on here don't live in the real world. Your average joe-schmoe does not know this shit. And these two strike me very specifically as your average joe-schmoe. Given you don't see these kinds of bad beliefs or rhetoric or dogwhistling or anything even remotely like that in the rest of their content.
Two youtubers with close to 1M subs don't know about some recent youtube scandal involving motherfucking pewdiepie
Ok

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
im not sure having a mill youtube subs means you know everything about what all the youtubers are doing.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Two youtubers with close to 1M subs don't know about some recent youtube scandal involving motherfucking pewdiepie
Ok
Yes. It happens. Why do people here assume that everyone is jobless enough to read ResetEra all day and catch up on the latest fuckups of YouTube celebrities?

When I was in college, we had a series of high-profile scandals. I couldn't have told you anything about them then as I was too busy working and studying and doing part-time teaching.

They unequivocally denounced both PDP and Boogie in their stream yesterday. Why are you still confused about their views on those topics?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ok

Yes. They probably vaguely heard about it and probably forgot about it. Maybe they heard he said the N word on stream when he was mad one time, and thought well that's kinda ew, and then moved on and forgot about it, not really realizing there was anything deeper.

I frequently browse twitter, youtube, reddit, here, wherever. And I only heard about that stuff here and vaguely on twitter a little bit. I had totally forgotten about the actual N word incident until this thread. I only remembered some of his more recent references to more overtly alt-right youtube channels, which I found pretty concerning.

Not one youtuber I've ever followed has found the Paul brother's even remotely cool or worthy of approval, and yet plenty make references and jokes related to them, because they are huge cultural figures that literally everyone knows about them. Taking a joke made in reference to the biggest person on the platform, as some sort of endorsement is just utterly silly, when these people probably don't think much about it. Most of your average person does not.

I cannot believe that you regularly have normal human conversations with normal people in real life who are not resetera members or similar on twitter or whatever, about this kind of topic. If you did, you would not be even remotely surprised. I have no idea how you do not realize how much the average person is NOT a resetera member or even has the first clue about any of this kind of thing.

Heck I have a few friends who browsed gaf and now browse era and had no idea about the jontron thing. It isn't that crazy dude. You are in a bubble.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Well this is a thread

Reminds me of their pokemon review where three pages in people bought up pewdiepie in response to their criticism of the game

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I still dont understand how the joke they setup with the feminist frequecy clip into a nintendogs clip is a joke at the expense of anita and the joke they setup with writing malformed pdp name into the doom console is a shootout. It feels either both are shootouts or both are jokes at the expense of them?

Edit: era is generally really good at finding out when known gaming people are shit. But so far the only suspect thing ive seen is the shootout to that guy in the mario maker review. The rest just seens exagerated with no real backing. Heck in the last face reveal thread there were 2 posts that were like:
-first thing he does is hit her on the face
-more evidence of their abusive relationship surfaces!

And I was like "what is it this time? Abuse on stream? Reddit post of someone close?"

But then there was nothing? And its the same with a lotq of claims here in this thread.

Last edited:

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I still dont understand how the joke they setup with the feminist frequecy clip into a nintendogs clip is a joke at the expense of anita and the joke they setup with writing malformed pdp name into the doom console is a shootout. It feels either both are shootouts or both are jokes at the expense of them?
Yep.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From day one some people have been oddly upset at this channel. This whole alt-right accusation is just bonkers and an example of the worst parts of resetera

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems that the history with threads is that mudslinging, the drive-bys, the derails and the obvious lies do not have consequences, based on the staff post the staff is playing the "both sides" card so far without really looking at the posts that initiated all this. I'd like to get clarification on where the staff sits on this because these threads having limitless accusations, lies and insults is not very Era-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.