• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the game sitting on my PS5 from PS+ ever since December, and I haven't bothered to even start it yet. It just screams the kind of game that bores me to death, even though the zombie (oh sorry, "freaker") swarms looked like they might be fun. The rest though looked like your duller than dull, bog-standard open-world stuff.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Eh it's a decent game. Not the best thing ever or the worst. Not sure why so many people like dog piling it lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think its overrated at all

It's better than every single Ubisoft open-world game (which I also like) and these seem rather popular.

One of the best games of the last generation.

They're so very late to the hate train. Pathetic.

The game is amazing. One of the best open world games I've played.

and this is just the first page

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Game takes too long to get to it's best mechanic, by which point most have switched off or dismissed the game entirely.

It's a pacing problem, but the game isn't bad. It's good.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Same here.

You're gonna release a narrative-heavy zombie game on PlayStation?

Warranted or not, it was never escaping the shadow of The Last of Us.
I also wonder about this. I guess it was maybe greenlit during the height of TWD popularity and was intended to have a much shorter dev time than it did so it ended up missing the hype train and also Last of Us ended up being super revolutionary (maybe more than Sony expected).

Nov 9, 2017
Its weird, I feels the game is a 7 or 8 out of 10 at best, but I really really had fun and beat it straight through without playing many other games during that time. There are games I would probably say were better if I had to choose but I didn't get engrossed in those games like I did for Days Gone.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I expected the game to be bad when I played it but it was just a surprisingly fun and ok game to play through. It wasn't "bad" or anything. Just not the most amazing thing that's ever going to be put out in gaming. And that's ok. It looked nice too.

VelvetMonkey

Aug 18, 2020
Yeah honestly this game is free and I have 0 interest in it. The aesthetic and presentation, not to mention the protagonist, are some of the most unappealing I've ever seen.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I played it when I got my PS5 through the PS Plus collection. It was alright I thought but the dialogue/VA really put me off, especially after playing the likes of TLOU2 and God Of War, even Spiderman. Gameplay wise it was okay but after playing about half the game things hadn't really changed that much, same kind of areas, it just felt a bit samey.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The game was really good and I enjoyed every minute of it even if it had some flaws. Was a cool combination of I am legend and walking dead.She is wrong in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
for real lol somehow Days Gone became the messiah
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The overwhelming majority of people that are positive are saying the game is average and maybe slightly above average in its current state. You then have a vocal group who act like this game somehow did them wrong, that they are baffled at people enjoying it, and act gleeful about the fact that it isn't getting a sequel.

I have continually compared this game to Ghosts of Tsushima; mainly because I played them back to back on PS5. The major problems that Days Gone has and people criticize it for? Guess what, they show up in spades in Tsushima.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing about this game looked even remotely interesting when they revealed it

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it at launch on PS4. It wasn't with out it's issues but I definitely wouldn't say it was a bad game. I finished it and sold it, so I didn't get to experience any of the post game content/patches.

I would have definitely taken a sequel.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm about 15 hours into the game and should not have watched that video.
That being said, my experience with the game is completely different, I enjoy the pacing so far and the world design works for me too. First horde I encountered by accident was quite a shock as I thought they were only set pieces.

And yes, the game has bugs, but nothing game breaking so far.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Solid 6/10. Bones of a good game, awful story, awful dialogue, some awful mechanics (gasoline, really?). Can be fun at times, but suffers from open world tendencies.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Playing through it right now, just unlocked the last region. It's incredibly derivative with it's skill trees, crafting, enemy camps, hide in tall grass, points of interest on a map, slow walking sequences with Witcher vision, fetch quests for camp, etc.

BUT it's a very beautiful game, I haven't experienced any bugs at all, 4K checkerboard 60 FPS with gyro aiming on PS5 feels really good, and the main characters (Deacon, Boozer, Sarah) refreshingly feel like real people.

So, gameplay side of things is pretty weak, but there's a lot to like about the game

Mar 19, 2021
It may not be a 3/10 but it's definitely not a 7/10 either and that makes it the worst first party Sony game of the last generation, Knack included

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed it was it was just mediocre, but I had no idea the game has missions where you're skulking around trying to fill a 'Listen' meter.

There are too many games that are willing to have inane 'ganeplay' for the sake of content. No game has 50 hours worth of good ideas.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever watched Girlfriend Reviews before, this made me laugh a lot. I like their editing and humor.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The overwhelming majority of people that are positive are saying the game is average and maybe slightly above average in its current state. You then have a vocal group who act like this game somehow did them wrong, that they are baffled at people enjoying it, and act gleeful about the fact that it isn't getting a sequel.

i mean, if you want to ignore all the examples of people doing what you say they are not doing, then i guess you are right

in this thread there are more people saying Days Gone was the game of the generation than people happy its not getting a sequel but shrug

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Eh it's a decent game. Not the best thing ever or the worst. Not sure why so many people like dog piling it lol

I think there's a few factors there:

- A Sony first-party game, therefore huge expectations.
- The first console game in ages by Bend Studios - again, high expectations as a result.
- Hyped up after several positive early showings.
- Long development time with a big gap between unveiling and release.
- Some of the initial reaction was further exacerbated by early bugs that were soon fixed.

From that perspective, the tribal nature of the response to Days Gone was unsurprising.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
It's not a perfect game, but it's not garbage either as the reviews tries to show. To me it's a solid 8/10 and it truly only gets better the more you play it. Also, I really never understood how the likes of GF reviews and Dunkey get so many glitches in their playthroughs that they're able to fill a whole video with clips of it, I'm 22h in and I haven't encountered a single glitch or bug (I know, it doesn't mean that others aren't encountering it).

And once and for all to ANYONE BRINGING UP THE WEDDING QUOTE, I'm gonna spoiler tag it for those who are actually played the game and want to know why she says what she says but you can read the explanation here since I doubt you're gonna play the game either way:

yes, she says "only if you promise to ride me as hard as your bike" during her wedding vows, but here's why, a little later in the game there's another flashback sequence where Deacon is proposing to her and she says "Only under two conditions" and one of those conditions is that Deacon doesn't say something stupid like "Only if you promise me to ride me as hard as my bike" during the wedding, so no, she didn't say it because she meant it like that, it's more of a couples inside joke which actually is funny to hear. And to top it all off, apparently "Only if you promise to ride me as hard as my bike" is a common biker's club wedding vow, can't confirm though.

Hope this clears it up a bit since people love to bash on the game on a misinformed moment in the game, everything else from pacing to some annoying design choices are valid points lol

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is fine if quite derivative. If you've played most Ubi open world games you kind of know what to expect from the formula. My biggest gripe from that standpoint and I"ve said it quite a bit in DG threads is that I think they dropped the ball with the hordes. That could have been their big standout feature but the hordes ended up being little more than annoyances that get in the way of you completing a side mission or story quest line. They never once felt as dynamic and fresh as some of the early promise when the game was first revealed. That could have been the thing to differentiate them.

Story wise I thought the overall story was pretty bad most of the time, but I did like some of the character interactions.

It's not a perfect game, but it's not garbage either as the reviews tries to show. To me it's a solid 8/10 and it truly only gets better the more you play it. Also, I really never understood how the likes of GF reviews and Dunkey get so many glitches in their playthroughs that they're able to fill a whole video with clips of it, I'm 22h in and I haven't encountered a single glitch or bug (I know, it doesn't mean that others aren't encountering it).

And once and for all to ANYONE BRINGING UP THE WEDDING QUOTE, I'm gonna spoiler tag it for those who are actually played the game and want to know why she says what she says but you can read the explanation here since I doubt you're gonna play the game either way:

yes, she says "only if you promise to ride me as hard as your bike" during her wedding vows, but here's why, a little later in the game there's another flashback sequence where Deacon is proposing to her and she says "Only under two conditions" and one of those conditions is that Deacon doesn't say something stupid like "Only if you promise me to ride me as hard as my bike" during the wedding, so no, she didn't say it because she meant it like that, it's more of a couples inside joke which actually is funny to hear. And to top it all off, apparently "Only if you promise to ride me as hard as my bike" is a common biker's club wedding vow, can't confirm though.

Hope this clears it up a bit since people love to bash on the game on a misinformed moment in the game, everything else from pacing to some annoying design choices are valid points lol

I believe its a line taken directly out of Sons of Anarchy, which might back up the "its a common biker thing", but at the same time, Sons of Anarchy was a terribly written show so probably not the best sign to be taking writing cues from that.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I have continually compared this game to Ghosts of Tsushima; mainly because I played them back to back on PS5. The major problems that Days Gone has and people criticize it for? Guess what, they show up in spades in Tsushima.

as a major days gone hater (as evident by my posts in this very thread), you have some points there

the edge review where I think they gave assassin's creed valhalla about the same score as ghosts of tsushima had some really funny reactions when the "generic ubisfot game" got a score close to their beloved Akira Kurosawa simulator

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I also wonder about this. I guess it was maybe greenlit during the height of TWD popularity and was intended to have a much shorter dev time than it did so it ended up missing the hype train and also Last of Us ended up being super revolutionary (maybe more than Sony expected).
It was in development a long time. And when it first started development, two of the biggest shows on TV were Sons of Anarchy, and The Walking Dead.

Problem was, by the time it actually came out, both shows/genres had fallen completely out of favor, media critics were talking about TWD's fascism, and real-life bikers (who are white power gangs IRL) were showing up to Trump rallies beating Black and brown people half to death.

It's really easy to see why a lot of us recoiled from the game, why Sony passed on a sequel, and why it has the weird Gamer defense force it has.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's the type of game I have no interest to spend money on and I'm glad I didn't buy when I finally played it for free.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
lR788Zw.jpg
eh, as long as you are a hyped release and don't shit the bed technically you're practically guaranteed a positive review score on Steam these days.
That's what comes from a binary RT style review system.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
One of the better open world games I've ever played, does several things really well but absolutely it's boring to watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.