Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
TheVolgun
He does high quality readings of various entries of the SCP foundation website if you are into that.

The Templin Institute
Various short lore videos of various sci fi and fantasy subjects. The main thing that drew me to them was there series based on a Stellaris playthrough. They took it and presented it as narrative story, its excellent. Playlist link here

Alternate History Hub
Various well thought out alternate history scenarios.

Steve1989MREInfo
As stated before, the Bob Ross of MREs

PLASMO
Many build videos of plastic model kits, really shows some of the absolute insane patience and skill needed to make these to such a high standard.

LGR
Focuses on 80/90s computer tech for the most part.

Bright Sun Films
Stories of abandoned buildings and bankrupt companies

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
My personal favs:

• Linus Tech Tips
  • MKBHD
  • Adam Savage's Tested
  • Gus Johnson
  • Dave Lee
  • Digital Foundry
  • Whang!
  • NakeyJakey
  • SORTEDfood
  • Vsauce

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
PushingUpRoses
TV series and video game journalism

Captain Disillusion
Deep look into the technical aspects of filmmaking and technology

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody mentioned Technology Connections, but few youtube series have gone into even half as much detail about the NTSC broadcast standard or electric toasters:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q

You want nerd shit, you start with the best

Seconded, and also check out his second channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRwC5Vc8HrB6vGx6Ti-lhA

Another great one is Techmoan. He does a lot of interesting videos on modern and retro A.V hardware, as well as obscure content formats.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. People recommending Gus Johnson, thank you so much. Haven't laughed so hard in a while. His 3am cat video is fucking spot on and is my neighbors cats above us every morning at like 4:30am.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Core-A Gaming - very entertaining analysis and briefer video essays about fighting games and fighting game culture. Even if you don't like fighting games, I think there's some universal gaming knowledge that can be examined and gleaned from this channel.

My faves.
I gave Core-A an F- and an unsub after his elitist video "The Effects of Salt," where he went on a [incoherent] libertarian tangent on how social justice groups wanting equality and fairness == taking away individuality. My brain had an aneurysm.

I do recommend:
Vinesauce Vinny
Varghskeletor
Hbomberguy
Contrapoints
Shaun

Last edited:

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I get a real kick out of Viva la Dirt League, which would fall under your "nerdy stuff" umbrella. They do live action skits playing on the nonsensical nature of videogames. The "Epic NPC Man" series is about a non player character quest giver who just sees all the nonsensical bullshit about MMORPGs and calls it out. They also do some live action skits for PUBG which are pretty good, and their series "Bored" is about a couple guys working at a new zealand Best Buy/electronics store equivalent, just doing mundane day to day tasks and the nonsense of being low end retail employees with a jerk for a boss. Dig into their archives for some Starcraft 2 music videos, random skits and all kinds of good stuff.

It's nothing serious but I find them pretty funny and enjoy watching a new video every week or so.

https://m.youtube.com/VivaLaDirtLeague?uid=chBatdUMZoMfJ3rIzgV84g

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I gave Core-A an F- and an unsub after his elitist video "The Effects of Salt," where he went on a [incoherent] libertarian tangent on how social justice groups wanting equality and fairness == taking away individuality. My brain had an aneurysm.

I just rewatched that video and I think you're taking that particular portion of the video way out of context, my friend. I think you might have overreacted?

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Technology:
Technology Connections
Techmoan
8-Bit Guy
RetroManCave
LGR

Gunpla:
ZakuAurelius
Mecha Gaikotsu

Anime:
Super Eyepatch Wolf
Mother's Basement

Others:
baremetalHW (Very detailed restorations of Hot Wheels and similar cars)
Ask a Mortician
Steve1989MREInfo

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Youngbloods. Aussie, Brodie Moss and crew, capture brilliant cinematography, ocean lifestyle and generally having fun. Spearfishing/fishing, drone footage off the charts, wildlife/environment encounters, camping/cooking...watch a couple of nature at its best vids and enjoy.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
SomecallmeJohnny - The gold standard for video game reviewers imo. Johnny is funny without being obnoxious, isn't a "character", isn't a bigot, does extremely thorough reviews, and uploads reviews on so many different kinds of games regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SomecallmeJohnny

Confused Matthew - While he has stopped making videos as of 2018, his collection of movie reviews are some of the most intelligent and well written on YouTube without coming off as pretentious (for the most part). Watch his Star Wars prequel or Matrix sequel reviews for some of the most hilariously spot on takedowns you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7NofIPPhBPYpEBXltMpAg

MistareFusion - If you're at all interested in the Dragon Ball franchise, Fusion does a great dissection series on the entire franchise. Mainly but not limited to the manga, he provides alot of information and well explained opinions on why he thinks certain story arcs are great or not so much. Never an overly negative or at all exaggerated review channel, I think Fusion is one of the best for Dragon Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MistareFusion

Self Pity Entertainment - A channel devoted soley to comics and graphic novels, SPE does sort of "audio book" adaptations of comics where they act out the dialogue and narration of the comics while showing them on screen. There's sound effects, music, and visual editing of the comics to make the experience feel more cinematic while watching each video. If there are franchises you were interested in but never read the comics (like The Tick, The Mask, or Johnny The Homicidal Maniac), SPE is a great way to experience them for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JackG2

Console Wars - A channel devoted solely to the early 90's console Wars, Dan and Greg analyze and compare games released for both the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo to see which versions are superior. Their material while kinda PG and never too vulgar, is still funny and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/user/levelonerules

ITSREAL85VIDS - Definitely the funniest channel I'm subscribed to. Hilarious short skits using GTA 5 online characters to "act out" the skits while the guy who makes the vids voices most of the characters. The humor comes from the ghetto characters mixed with the Looney Tunes style details of their situations. Ridiculous but funny.

https://www.youtube.com/user/itsreal85vids

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
MarinaShutup but she's more in her writing/editorial? (i forget) career now than a youtuber.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If you're into theme parks (particularly Disney and Universal) at all, Defunctland is a must watch. The Disney's America video in particular is fascinating:

as is the video on DisneyQuest if you're into video games (and we ARE on Era):

RobPlays (focuses more on fun concepts that never came to fruition, strange events/initiatives, or what goes into running the parks/resorts), Yesterworld, Offhand Disney, and DisneyDan (focuses a lot on the costuming) are good theme park "tubers" as well.

Defunctland also has a spin-off, DefunctTV, which focuses on old TV shows. This season has been largely puppet based (Bear in the Big Blue House, Zaboomafoo, Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss), with a miniseries on Jim Henson's various shows ongoing at the moment (episodes being Sam and Friends, Sesame Street, and the Muppet Show so far, with the Fraggles and a final fifth episode to come).

Gotta second Lindsay Ellis, hbomberguy, and Jenny Nicholson. Incidentally, Jenny talks about park stuff from time to time too, but she's varied.

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Techmoan
Technology history and reviews of new tech as well. He can make absolutely anything interesting and funny. Probably my favorite Youtuber overall.

Wintergatan
Channel of musician and tinkerer Martin Molin, the creator of the original Marble Machine. He's close to finishing it's successor, the Marble Machine X, and the journey has been fascinating. Currently updates every Wednesday. There's also a great series of videos of him checking out old mechanical musical instruments at the Speelklok Museum.

PushingUpRoses
TV series and video game journalism

Captain Disillusion
Deep look into the technical aspects of filmmaking and technology

So glad to see PushingUpRoses get a mention. She really deserves more views. Love her stuff, although I was a little sad to see her start to move away from gaming.

I also second Defunctland, posted above. Very interesting.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The Proper People

(If you enjoy watching Urbex footage, check out the portal like looking powerplant)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Some of my favorites:

Jon Bois (most of his newest stuff is on SBNation)
Super well made, funny, satirical, and interesting videos mostly about sports stories and stats (and while sports are the opposite of nerdy, sports stats definitely aren't), mostly focused on the US. If you're like me before I found his channel, you might think that watching videos about American sports is the most boring thing possible, but I almost guarantee Jon will change your mind. He can take the most mundane sounding topic imaginable, like an hour long video about every NFL punt ever attempted, and turn it into one of the most entertaining videos on youtube. And his Pretty Good series is indeed, pretty good.

He's also pretty progressive, with videos about how Kaepernick stats are definitely good enough for him to play in the NFL, or a video that's supportive about the NFL strike and worker rights. And he also partnered with Chapo Trap House member one time to make a 5 part documentary about MMA and capitalism.

Adam Neely
Music theory made fun, and presented in an interesting and extremely non technical way that's easy to understand for everyone (which is pretty rare to find TBH). I used to hate music theory, but now I think it's actually pretty interesting. If you ever wanted to know what the hardest piece of music ever created is, this is the channel for you. Or things like how our language shapes and influences the music we make.

People Make Games
By far the best video game channel I've come across, headed by former Eurogamer writer Chris Bratt (who wrote the wonderful "Here's a Thing" column while he was there). The quality means they only make about one video a month, but it's totally worth it.

Dr Hope's Sick Notes
There's basically two doctor channels I follow on youtube. This one and Doctor Mike. They both put out very similar content, but I like Hope more because he simply feels more genuine, and has a greater focus on actually teaching stuff. Their most approachable works are probably their "doctor reacts" videos, which are pretty much what you'd think: a real doctor watching medical dramas and explaining what they get right or wrong. I know it sounds kind of cheesy and generic, but it's done in a good, lighthearted and informative way with a focus on education instead of just bashing things these kind of shows get wrong.

KTO
Another sports storyteller, but exclusively about American football, mostly focusing on stories about interesting player's lives or about interesting games. Good production overall, and approachable even to people who don't care about the sport. If you end up liking it, then Set The Edge is also a very similar channel.

Brett Kollmann
This one is pretty specific and doesn't have a lot of general appeal, but it's by far the best place I've found for anyone interested in actual American football strategy and tactics. It gets really deep into it, and breaks down the game in a clear and informative way.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It has metal Jesus reply on this tweet I believe.

I looked up the vid... Yeah Reggie totally lacked the awareness to speak thoughtfully on this subject. He steps in it repeatedly misgendering the woman and then going further by commenting on how she doesn't really pass as a woman. Complete fuck up, really shouldn't have made that vid. Like what was even the point? Is there an epidemic of pre op trans people raging in Gamestops across the world? Obviously, no. So many other things to dedicate a video production to and this was what he chose. Dummy.

Metal Jesus: "I have nothing to do with Reggie"
tyler.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
CallMeKevin.

Lovable Irish guy who just plays games, but you never know what he'll be playing. He flips between some new releases, indies, random steam crap, old PS2 releases etc. He plays everything and it keeps it very fresh because it's so unpredictable. And then he broadly plays the game but is often deliberately (actually?) ham fisted and so tries stuff that doesn't work, fails obvious stuff etc and it's all very very entertaining. He has a real sense of humour, the videos are very entertaining and it's all so good natured.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I looked up the vid... Yeah Reggie totally lacked the awareness to speak thoughtfully on this subject. He steps in it repeatedly misgendering the woman and then going further by commenting on how she doesn't really pass as a woman. Complete fuck up, really shouldn't have made that vid. Like what was even the point? Is there an epidemic of pre op trans people raging in Gamestops across the world? Obviously, no. So many other things to dedicate a video production to and this was what he chose. Dummy.

Metal Jesus: "I have nothing to do with Reggie"
tyler.jpg
Its the fact that MJR finishes his comment with "it's not my place to tell him what to do" that pisses me off.

Like we know you aren't his dad or anything but if I was friends with someone and they did this shit I would say I think it's wrong. In fact I have been in this situation before where a guy I worked with and was friends with started talking about a woman we worked with being trans (which I hadn't realised) and he said "I don't believe in hell but that's the one thing that makes me believe in it and they deserve to go there". Me and my wife argued with him about how wrong that was and after that we stopped hanging out with him.

When MJR has literally made money on having reggie be his friend and featured in tonnes of hid videos, to argue that it isn't his place to tell him what to do is really disingenuous and just plain bullshit.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the fact that MJR finishes his comment with "it's not my place to tell him what to do" that pisses me off.

Like we know you aren't his dad or anything but if I was friends with someone and they did this shit I would say I think it's wrong. In fact I have been in this situation before where a guy I worked with and was friends with started talking about a woman we worked with being trans (which I hadn't realised) and he said "I don't believe in hell but that's the one thing that makes me believe in it and they deserve to go there". Me and my wife argued with him about how wrong that was and after that we stopped hanging out with him.
To me, that's the part that tells he wants it both ways. "I have nothing to with Reggie" = "I have nothing to do with criticism I might have to deal with on Reggie." "Plus I still wanna keep working with him so I don't actually wanna say anything to him to piss him off."

It make his response especially craven.

Jan 10, 2018
Smarter Every Day is a great channel if you're into nerdy stuff. It takes a look at advanced as well as casual stuff and breaks down the science behind them. It's very entertaining no matter the subject. And the guy who owns the channel seems like the sweetest guy. He even got to interview Obama during his presidency.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Looking to expand my sub list.

I'm into nerd shit and food.

What do you guys recommend?
Sounds like Binging with Babish is a great choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukjat70Iyt4

- Good production values and clean presentation
- Great attention to detail (he's never shy of showing himself repeating a recipe until he feels he gets it right)
- Fun and charming personality that still doesn't distract from his food
- Informative and easy to understand directions for his techniques

He's also incredibly humble too. Not only for his self-deprecating humor or the fact that he makes it clear that he's never gone to culinary school but he's very much appreciative of his audience. He's recently done a side-series of him using the success he's gained from his channel and giving back to some of his fans. I love the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDogDKMJbE

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The Tech Chap is pretty cool for tech stuff. His videos are super high quality in production and not too repetitive nor following the same templates.

Last edited: