Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think the individual worlds are very fun - Pirates might actually be my favorite world in the series! The singular plot and how all the worlds connected to it was not good though and the ending of the Xehanort saga was not satisfying. It did not treat it's original characters (Kairi, for example) well either. On a mechanical level though, I think it is a very well-made game that anyone could pick up.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
The combat is fun and the music slaps but the biggest issue for me was the lack of atmosphere.

It's hard to explain but in Kingdom Hearts 2 the worlds felt like actual places. Despite being more populated in some cases the KH3 worlds felt lifeless and more like set pieces. I didn't want to take my time and explore.

Also the ending just doesn't land.
Did you play KH2 recently? I played it just before I started KH3 and the difference was huge. In my memory KH2 worlds had more atmosphere, but when I actually played it again some of the worlds like Mulan, Pirates, Lion King, Aladdin just feels so empty that it is frustrating right now.

While KH3 worlds like Tangled and Pirates of the Carribean in KH3 at least gives you a world that's alive with actual people in it and things to do. KH2 worlds felt too much like corridors right now. While KH3 worlds feel much more alive to me and gives you the feeling you are visiting an actual place.

-----
I loved KH3, my 2019 GOTY together with Death Stranding. Though I have to admit the Frozen and Big Hero 6 worlds were missed opportunities. Also the pacing could have been better, the last 5 hours, they could have put 1 or 2 hours of that part somewhere in the game. That would have been much better looking back.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the gameplay is fine now and the presentation was always amazing but the story was lacklustre and remind doesn't fix it, it just adds to it.

i don't know why after 15 years of plot that gets relegated to the side for a 30h game and then gets picked up again for the last 4h seemed like a good idea to anyone. it's very unsatisfying.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is fun and the music slaps but the biggest issue for me was the lack of atmosphere.

It's hard to explain but in Kingdom Hearts 2 the worlds felt like actual places. Despite being more populated in some cases the KH3 worlds felt lifeless and more like set pieces. I didn't want to take my time and explore.

Over the last few years, I've probably gone through Kh 2 fm maybe like 3 or 4 times. I really can't fathom someone thinking they had more life to them than KH3's. Not to diminish your opinion or anything, but when is the last time you played 2?

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017

I respect your opinion about the worlds. But I can't relate.
dcrf62czvxh21.png

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is the first time a thread title has made me grimace as a natural reaction in a long time

you're probably right, i had expectations on release and was let down so it would probably be a little better to revisit at this point. but eh

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was really boring to play and the worlds felt really lifeless. It's way more great to look at compared to the PS2 games but they're about as empty.
I like the series for its combat and dumbass crazy story.
I went as far as the Frozen world and nothing relating to the actual overall story ever happened. Like it might not even be KH anymore. I just gave up.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've loved it ever since launch but the Re:Mind combat modifiers and Critical changes made it my favorite KH game tbh

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I think peoples' views on KH2 are often clouded by nostalgia. It has an excellent battle system and strong post-game but overall is lacking in many major areas. Worlds were a huge step back from 1 with most of them being extremely linear with no room for exploration. While 1 was sometimes cryptic in where you had to go to push the story forward, every world still felt more alive thanks to the fact that there's actual obstacles and puzzles in the environments. 2 is battle rooms and hallways. The Lion King world is especially terrible with the central area being a giant circle with NOTHING in between.

The story also got terribly bad with KH2. This was the game that shafted Kairi first. Reinterpreted what "kingdom hearts" actually is and started this trend of retconning in a negative way. Characters appear out of nowhere without meaningful development. Roxas and Axel finish out their arcs which were started in 358/2 and Chain of Memories. The stilted dialogue began here as well. KH3 improved on line delivery and a key difference with KH3 that makes its script better is that it has actual humor. They laugh at how silly everything is when KH2 takes it all very seriously with the organization.

People complain KH3 had Disney worlds that did not mix in with the plot well but it was even worse in KH2. The world revisits besides Beast's Castle are pointless. You go back to the Nightmare Before Christmas world to stop a giant robot from the professor for crying out loud. Imagine the game dumping all this lore on you halfway through and then asking you to revisit worlds to do extraneous stuff. Awful pacing.

Bad FF cameos too.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Gameplay and production values soar, but unfortunately the story is one of the worst things I've ever experienced in games. Just stupid pandering that obviously didn't need to exist.

Series ended at BBS for me, story-wise.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you play KH2 recently? I played it just before I started KH3 and the difference was huge. In my memory KH2 worlds had more atmosphere, but when I actually played it again some of the worlds like Mulan, Pirates, Lion King, Aladdin just feels so empty that it is frustrating right now.

Agreed, I played it for the first time recently and found it to be horrible. The worlds were just bad and so were the character interactions.

I really enjoyed 3 and 1 and felt like I made a big mistake playing 2, made me end the series on a sour note.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Glad that you gave it another try and you're enjoying yourself this time around, OP!

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Over the last few years, I've probably gone through Kh 2 fm maybe like 3 or 4 times. I really can't fathom someone thinking they had more life to them than KH3's. Not to diminish your opinion or anything, but when is the last time you played 2?

I did 90% of the trophies right before kh 3 came out and then I platinumed 3.

So my issue with KH 3 kind of boils down to how the worlds are laid out and the stories that fit within them. In KH 2 you revisit each world multiple times which gives them a bit more depth; the worlds within worlds aspect only adds onto that (for Mickey's Castle and Hollow Bastian at least). Yes they were essentially diverging pathways but it still felt like a little slice of the overall world. In KH 3 you have huge areas and everything feels empty and one-note almost. For example, San Fransokyo is boring to explore because it's basically a square section of a modern city so everything looks similar and boring. You have the section on the bridge for 5 minutes but that's it. Then the stories feel shorter in each world (and you never revisit them) and it just made me not care and rush towards the endgame. Like 100 Acre Woods is basically a mini game hubworld in this game and at least in KH 2 I cared about Pooh and Sora having a friendship every time I went back.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Before Re:Mind the game was a solid 8. Now it's a solid 8.5. My second favourite KH game behind 2.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The button layout for the game prevent me from finding out if it was a godo game or not. I stopped playing it after an hour or so before I gave up due to the lack of a button configuration for the game.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I played it when it first came out and I think I was in some mental state where I enjoyed things less or I was more jaded or something

I recently rebought it. I just finished Monsters Inc. and now I just started Pirates of the Caribbean

I cannot understand how fans of the series can hate this game?

The level of effort put into the game is insane. I don't even give a fuck about taking photos, ever, but in this game they've managed to make that rewarding and enjoyable.

Combat is still a little slower than KH2 but it's still really fun.

I've always been a rollercoaster person so I honestly fucking love the Attraction attacks

Music slaps

Visuals are great; some models are insanely detailed.

So far the only issue has been the dialogue between OC characters; mostly Org. XIII. The scene with them talking on top of pillars was insanely cringe IMO

But in general the Disney worlds are about 2858392929292929202x better than in previous games. There's also constant cutscene interruptions but it's honestly better than KH2 where there was a guaranteed cutscene in literally every single room.

Maybe I'll change my tune the more I play but at this point I doubt it. Just every aspect of this game is filled with an insane amount of effort. I really don't think it deserves the negative reception it seems to have. I'm honestly confused as to why I decided to not play it anymore last year.

thank u for reading
I'm glad you like it. It looks beautiful and it's clear to me that the production was a massive labor of love. But it's hard to be confused as to why fans were disappointed.

The story. They were disappointed in the story.

All the KH fans that I know hated it because of the story. And since there is no story until the final section of the game and what story is there seems to dismiss and handwave a lot of story elements that they have been told were important to absorb in 20 years worth of spinoff games, I can understand why so many fans ended up hating it.

No lie, one of my work buddies confessed to me drunkenly that the game broke his heart and he had to reassess his values after waiting for closure for so long only to get what the final chapter entailed. At two separate company parties. Three months apart. I bring it up and poke fun at him about that now and he laughs but I also totally get why he felt the way he felt.

Between him and the only two friends of mine who love KH also being frustrated by the story and how messy and "insulting" it is, I'm not confused at all.

Outside of my own biased source of information, this video illustrated some of the issues pretty well for me:

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was mediocre at launch but after the dlc bosses and patches I like it a lot. There's still a few things I don't like about combat flow but it's a worthy successor to 2FM.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to say that the game not shipping with Critical is a major part of the reason why it gets so much hate, especially when one of the most common criticisms is how braindead the combat is, with zero challenge whatsoever, but the people who play on Critical already knew this. KH II is one of my favorite games of all time and I still waited until Re:Mind to play 3, because I knew this.

So I have to imagine that even if it launched with Critical, those people would still play on lower difficulties and have the same issues.

I have no idea about the attractions because I disabled them throughout all of my time with the game, Critical Converter is a great addition.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic game, just as good as KH II, and one of my favorite games of the generation. It's a joy to play through. The story is even worse, but I don't care enough to let it impact my enjoyment. I thought it was trash since the first game.

Unfortunately I do have some issues with it that prevent me from just saying it's outright better than II, but it creates this cool dynamic that each game is better at certain things, and makes me want to replay both of them, unlike the rest of the series pre-III, where replaying II was just a better time than any other. I was still worth it, but II was just better.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it too but only after playing through it a second time on Critical. The first time I played it I feel like I didn't really give it much of a chance to see what it had to offer as I basically bee-lined straight for the story.

On my second go around I actually took my time, built my own gummi ship, fought the gummi ship bosses, did the Flan missions, got Remy's restuarant to five stars, spent way too long sailing around and exploring the Pirates world, unlocked Ultima keyblade and had a much better time. Critical difficulty is still a bit of a joke with regards to the main story but ReMind changes all that with the new boss battles. And those fights man, they're so brutal and so satisfying to figure out.

The combat in general is just so good and I think people don't give it the credit it deserves since like I said even on Critical the main story doesn't really push you to learn about the nuances that are present. Like you get so many options with the Keyblade transformatons and each Form has their own unique abilities and playstyles and I just had so much fun experimenting with all of them. And even after beating the ReMind bosses I still think there's more to the Quick step mechanic that isn't fully explored. No it's probably not as good as 2FM's combat but I feel like the combat in 3ReMind is such a different approach altogether to how Kingdom Hearts 'should' play rather than iterating on what came before. And I can't help but like it for that alone.

I'm not sure I agree that the Disney worlds are the best though. Frozen and San Fransokyo were still really disappointing especially Fransokyo, I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential there. But all the others were decently fun. KH2FM is still my top favorite but I think KH3 w/ Remind is a really strong contender for 2nd.

Oct 27, 2017
Huge KH fan here, and while I enjoyed it overall, it just wasn't a very fulfilling way to close out a series after such a long hiatus. There was little to no payoff for all the crazy story elements, and as most people have said, it really needed some Hallow Bastion style non-Disney worlds sprinkled throughout to break it up.

In addition, some of the worlds were pretty weak. They may have gotten away with that in the PS2 era, but games have moved on and it reflects purely on the game as a whole.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it too but only after playing through it a second time on Critical. The first time I played it I feel like I didn't really give it much of a chance to see what it had to offer as I basically bee-lined straight for the story.

On my second go around I actually took my time, built my own gummi ship, fought the gummi ship bosses, did the Flan missions, got Remy's restuarant to five stars, spent way too long sailing around and exploring the Pirates world, unlocked Ultima keyblade and had a much better time. Critical difficulty is still a bit of a joke with regards to the main story but ReMind changes all that with the new boss battles. And those fights man, they're so brutal and so satisfying to figure out.

The combat in general is just so good and I think people don't give it the credit it deserves since like I said even on Critical the main story doesn't really push you to learn about the nuances that are present. Like you get so many options with the Keyblade transformatons and each Form has their own unique abilities and playstyles and I just had so much fun experimenting with all of them. And even after beating the ReMind bosses I still think there's more to the Quick step mechanic that isn't fully explored. No it's probably not as good as 2FM's combat but I feel like the combat in 3ReMind is such a different approach altogether to how Kingdom Hearts 'should' play rather than iterating on what came before. And I can't help but like it for that alone.

I'm not sure I agree that the Disney worlds are the best though. Frozen and San Fransokyo were still really disappointing especially Fransokyo, I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential there. But all the others were decently fun. KH2FM is still my top favorite but I think KH3 w/ Remind is a really strong contender for 2nd.
I definitely agree with your take on the combat. If I absolutely have to say which one has "better combat", I'll most likely say 2FM, but 3RM gives me a different experience that 2 just doesn't. It's not better, but it's just as good in a different way. II is much more grounded, and that is one of the reasons why so many people think it's categorically better, but unlike the other Osaka games, III's "floatiness" works in its favor. The air mobility and combat are fantastic. Airstepping just before the final hit of a boss combo you've been blocking to punish them feels absolutely great.

I also love just how much more capable Sora is from the get go. Even stronger with the Re:Mind abilities, but even on a first playthrough you have access to your entire basic kit from the start. II feels like shit before you unlock some stuff, and I HATE how extremely basic abilities are locked behind drive form grinding.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its a good ass game, and the recent update really fixed some serious issues with the gameplay. Just wish it had a little more going on plotwise outside of the last 5 hours. What a terrible idea to pack it all in the end.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to disregard or debate how anyone personally felt about the Disney worlds and how they tied into the plot, but u/Kingdomon gave a great analysis of foreshadowing the Disney worlds provided.

NKasBHakDWnp09EniRAl121QfXhE1gdPJTgWCKCCLgU.jpg

Olympus- When Sora asked Hercules how he regained his strength in order to save Meg, Hercules says that when he saw that Meg was in danger, he wanted to save her with all his heart. Sora cites this saying several more times in the game, with a couple of these instances directly linking back to Hercules. The idea of accomplishing anything with all of your heart for Sora led to him reuniting with & saving Kairi, similar to how Hercules was able to save Meg's life by risking his own.

Toy Box- The carving of Andy's name being on the foot of Woody, a toy who misses the aforementioned individual that they care about, is similar to the carving of Sora in the Secret Cave that Kairi went to after she was separated from Sora after all of the worlds were restored. Hopefully it's not too big of a stretch to say that Kairi really missed Sora during this time. In Galaxy Toys, the blue haired, yellowed eye Angelic Amber doll was defeated after being under the influence of darkness. This leads Buzz to say "What if all we end up just like her? Forgetting ourselves & attacking each other? What if I get taken over & attack you?" Later on a blue haired Guardian of Light subcums to the darkness, is given yellow eyes, forgets who she really is emotionally & attacks her own allies.

Arendelle- Anna, in a last-ditch effort, puts her entire body at risk to protect someone she cares about by preparing to take the blow of a blade from someone who once presented themselves as an ally. For Sora & Kairi vs Terranort, this moment is less of a callback & more of a scene that is similar or analogous to another, also known as a parallel.

The Caribbean- As Gibbs said at the end of this world "Just wed, and now she & Cap'n Turner must live in different worlds". The two lovers, bound together by a promise, are now separated from each other & can only be together for one day every 10 years. Sora & Kairi's destinies are also intertwined & bounded together through the sharing of the Paopu Fruit. But after Sora changes the destiny of himself & his friends, he too is separated from his world & spends his last day with the person he cares about the most while also being able to tell her one last thing, despite his previous belief that one day isn't enough time for "hearts to say what's true".

Kingdom of Corona- The full lyrics for Rapunzel's Healing Incantation is "Flower, gleam and glow, Let your power shine, Make the clock reverse, Bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, Change the Fates' design, Save what has been lost, Bring back what once was mine. What once was mine." The shining heart fragments of Kairi, which merge together to form a flower, reverses Kairi's death at the hands of Xehanort, much like Eugene's death at the hands of Mother Gothel. This was accomplished by Sora using his power to go back in time, challenge his fate, save/heal the ones who have been hurt, & bring back the person he wants to be in his life.

Monstrpolis- Randall's poignant speech about causing one so much emotional pain that it breaks their hearts & affects them deeply, is very true for Aqua, who is suffering from PTSD & for Sora, who witnessed the people he believed were the source of his power, get taken away. Out of all these examples, this is the one that caused me to put "Some of these might be a stretch" in the title in the first place as Monstropolis wasn't the only instance of characters telling Sora that something sad was going to happen to him. So the concept isn't entirely unique or specifically derived from what Randall said. Nevertheless, Monstopolis is a Disney World & thus qualifies for this collage. And given that this world had a direct influence of the revival of an original Kingdom Hearts character, it really wasn't necessary for this world to have a parallel since it had a direct, obvious & clear influence on the plot as a whole.

100 Acre Woods- Sora's picture disappeared from the cover of Pooh's book. It isn't that big of a stretch to believe that the reason why Nomura did this was to foreshadow Sora's fate at the end of the game. To add on to that, Sora assures Pooh that he'll never be apart from Pooh as long as the bear remembers that Sora will always be in his heart. If what Sora said is true, it isn't unreasonable for Kairi to believe that there may be a clue in regard to finding the whereabouts of a loved one who has disappeared within her heart as well.

San Fransokyo- To experiment with the nature of controlling one's heart, the Organization obtains a vessel (Baymax 1.0) and a "heart" that is filled with dark emotions, which happens to belong to someone who was once the ally of the heroes who know that the former ally's heart is more than just darkness. Through the replacement of darkness with light in the vessel's heart, the past ally is restored to their original, defender of light selves. Terra & Xion go through the exact scenario that Baymax went through.

You can argue that some of these are a stretch and that the execution was off and whatnot but the worlds were clearly chosen for a reason, outside of the majority of them dealing with teaching Sora about how to bring someone back to life / restoring them (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Pirates).

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you like it. It looks beautiful and it's clear to me that the production was a massive labor of love. But it's hard to be confused as to why fans were disappointed.

The story. They were disappointed in the story.

All the KH fans that I know hated it because of the story. And since there is no story until the final section of the game and what story is there seems to dismiss and handwave a lot of story elements that they have been told were important to absorb in 20 years worth of spinoff games, I can understand why so many fans ended up hating it.

No lie, one of my work buddies confessed to me drunkenly that the game broke his heart and he had to reassess his values after waiting for closure for so long only to get what the final chapter entailed. At two separate company parties. Three months apart. I bring it up and poke fun at him about that now and he laughs but I also totally get why he felt the way he felt.

Between him and the only two friends of mine who love KH also being frustrated by the story and how messy and "insulting" it is, I'm not confused at all.

Outside of my own biased source of information, this video illustrated some of the issues pretty well for me:

lol, throughout the years before release the director of the entire series has said that 3 wasn't going to be the end of the series. I don't understand how someone can play something like Dream Drop Distance and think KH3 is gonna play it straight.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
lol, throughout the years before release the director of the entire series has said that 3 wasn't going to be the end of the series. I don't understand how someone can play something like Dream Drop Distance and think KH3 is gonna play it straight.
Weird. This is the first time I've heard that.

I saw on Era. On IGN. On Polygon. Pretty much all of the build up to this game included people asking how the story would finally conclude.

I mean it's obvious now that he plans more due to all the loose ends and teasers at the end. And I personally never found any KH game after the first game to have a coherent or self-contained narrative.

But after such a long wait, it made sense to me that fans were underwhelmed with 3's story.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it at release, but it wasn't as fulfilling as I wanted it to be. I think it could have majorly benefited from a mid-game story check in ala Hollow Bastion in KH2. Instead everything major in the story is crammed at the beginning and end of the game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. This is the first time I've heard that.

I saw on Era. On IGN. On Polygon. Pretty much all of the build up to this game included people asking how the story would finally conclude.

I mean it's obvious now that he plans more due to all the loose ends and teasers at the end. And I personally never found any KH game after the first game to have a coherent or self-contained narrative.

But after such a long wait, it made sense to me that fans were underwhelmed with 3's story.
You probably got confused because it was said that KH3 would be the end of the Dark Seeker Saga (which seems to have been a lie now that we have Dark Road and Apprentice Xehanort in Melody of Memory) while the series would continue on past.

So those articles about how the story would finally conclude was attributed to Xehanort's story, not the entire KH series.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely agree with your take on the combat. If I absolutely have to say which one has "better combat", I'll most likely say 2FM, but 3RM gives me a different experience that 2 just doesn't. It's not better, but it's just as good in a different way. II is much more grounded, and that is one of the reasons why so many people think it's categorically better, but unlike the other Osaka games, III's "floatiness" works in its favor. The air mobility and combat are fantastic. Airstepping just before the final hit of a boss combo you've been blocking to punish them feels absolutely great.

I also love just how much more capable Sora is from the get go. Even stronger with the Re:Mind abilities, but even on a first playthrough you have access to your entire basic kit from the start. II feels like shit before you unlock some stuff, and I HATE how extremely basic abilities are locked behind drive form grinding.

Yep, and you actually nailed exactly what I mean about the Air Step mechanic. The first time I AirStepped through Vanitas' last projectile and hit him with a full punish with Ultima you just feel like a god. (Doubly satisfying since he's the only one that so openly mocks you) And from then on it's just like what else can I punish in that way? It's so good.

Agreed on your latter points too, I was shocked how much I missed Sora's mobility in 3 when I went back and played 2FM.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see you're enjoying it now. I'm sure you're over the moon with the generous amount of CGI cutscenes too :P

The DLC is god-tier.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to not have to wait for the Final Mix version for the update. They patched in improvements some time ago. That and the addition of the DLC bosses upped the quality significantly, even though I already had fun playing the original version

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I just don't get what people really wanted from the story. I felt it had one of the better narratives due to the core trio having really wonderful chemistry and the writers having fun with the material by not taking everything seriously. Sora's journey was also pretty good and it was nice to see him challenged to his core as a character.

Like I don't know what people were expecting? It's a KH plot with better line delivery. That automatically makes KH3'S narrative better than most entries in the series. What about KH2's plot was so excellent? That game has way bigger pacing issues and is overloaded with characters that serve no purpose. Birth By Sleep? The central relationship between Aqua, Venus, and Terra was fucking laughable and that was suppose to be the emotional heart of the story. Dream Drop Distance? GIVE ME A BREAK. This game straight up took the entire story up to that point and set it on fire. Outside of the first game the story has not been remotely good. I gave up judging KH's story in relation to other stories in media because it would be a fool's errand. Comparing it in a bubble to other KH stories, I'd say KH3 ranks up pretty high;

I've also seen people complain about silly stuff like how Xehanort is redeemed... and I get so confused. First off, he isn't "redeemed." He's just given actual reasoning behind his actions. Beforehand he was just a cackling evil genius. Also, the series has always been about seeing the best in others. Multiple villains have switched sides so I don't see how even if he is slightly redeemed how that will be at odds with the core spirit of the series.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Patch 1.09 did the combat a ton of favours. From being able to cancel out of finishers, to the new combo abilities that have superior reach/attack speed/damage over the vanilla moves, KH3 Sora feels amazing to play. I'll always love watching Soraalam's video of him reacting in real-time to the combat buffs introduced in the new patch (Edit: Video contains loud shouting)

Yeah I waited for them to "fix the combat" before I even played and it was pretty good. Combat feels solid and the big story beats are pretty good.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Glad to hear you like it OP. It's always interesting when you turn around on how you feel about a game. I've certainly grown really attached to games I used to hate before, which it's always a fascinating experience.

I felt really conflicted with KH3 when it released. The ending in particular felt like a punch in the gut to me. I was ready (and glad) that KH3 wasn't going to be the end, but I still was hoping for something a bit more conclusive regardless. Not liking how a lot of the story elements that had been building up for years were handled and problems with some of the gameplay didn't help either.

I replayed KH3 a ton though, over ten times in 2019 with more this year. I feel pretty good about the game now. Over time and taking notes, I just started to appreciate the game a bit more.

Some of my highlights are the combat (despite flaws), the movement, the details in each world, and the experimentation with new ideas. I think the themes in each world more often than not tie in nicely with Sora's character and journey too.

I don't know why, but I feel much more at peace with being a fan with this series today. I remember practically losing sleep over how much I hated KHDDD when it came out (which is embarrassing to remember) and I had mixed thoughts on KH3. Somehow, between the two games, I feel like it's easier for me to except when something I really love doesn't always turn out the way I want it to. It's not always going to be filled with highs, but the lows don't always have to be 100% bad either.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not going to disregard or debate how anyone personally felt about the Disney worlds and how they tied into the plot, but u/Kingdomon gave a great analysis of foreshadowing the Disney worlds provided.

You can argue that some of these are a stretch and that the execution was off and whatnot but the worlds were clearly chosen for a reason, outside of the majority of them dealing with teaching Sora about how to bring someone back to life / restoring them (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Pirates).
Great post

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and you actually nailed exactly what I mean about the Air Step mechanic. The first time I AirStepped through Vanitas' last projectile and hit him with a full punish with Ultima you just feel like a god. (Doubly satisfying since he's the only one that so openly mocks you) And from then on it's just like what else can I punish in that way? It's so good.

Agreed on your latter points too, I was shocked how much I missed Sora's mobility in 3 when I went back and played 2FM.
Airstep really might be the single most satisfying addition to KH III, it really feels incredible. I love using it against Xigbar as well:

I think to me that was the galaxy brain moment of "Jesus Christ where else can I use this?" that you described, hahaha.

Even in the base game it's quite useful to deal with some encounters, like the snipers in the Frozen world.

What a great game.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the focus on aerial defense and mobility options doesn't go away for the next mainline game in the series. I love it, honestly.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can officially move this to my favorite game of all time status since the previous one was KH2FM and I hold this higher then that. The Re:Mind dlc really put it above 2:FM for me.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
My goodness the Pirates world was fucking amazing

Though I thought I did a decent amount of exploring and then I saw that I only got 30% of the treasure lol what the fuck

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not really that sensitive to what exactly made this game not work for people. Like I think it's part to do with the way the story is all at the end or something, but on a pure action level I really liked it. It's too easy that's true but the DLC provided some real 'fuck off and git gud' challenge that you can pour hours into along with the additional difficulty and modifiers. It's a shame hardcore action types discount it cause of the kiddieness, it fucking goes for it in that DLC and the base combat experience can be fun even if it's too gentle (just don't use the ride mechanics cause they suck and skip the game part entirely)

I think it's Nomura's best effort in a long while anyway. Better than VII Remake which was extremely dull

Oct 25, 2017
The Caribbean is incredible, my favorite world as well. I did also love it in II, though, unlike Linus.

Probably the best base game boss that isn't part of the terribly paced final act, too.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The gameplay is great especially on critical. The Caribbean world is one of my favorite, if not the best in the series. I also love hunting for the lucky emblems.
That being said I felt like Riku's voice acting was off which is a bummer. The story was kind of messy and the dialogue could be cringy especially in the first half of the game. Loved the conclusion though.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The more I play 2FM and 3 post ReMind back to back, the more I think I might actually wholly prefer the latter to the former now.

And yeah, Airstep is the best mechanical addition to the series by far. I hope it never leaves.

The Caribbean is incredible, my favorite world as well. I did also love it in II, though, unlike Linus.

Probably the best base game boss that isn't part of the terribly paced final act, too.
I was actually somewhat taken aback at how fun the Davy Jones fight was. Decently designed and it's one of the best setpieces in the series from a visual standpoint, too.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I was super hyped at release. Just hit with nostalgia overload.

My interest just kinda decreased as the game went on. The combat was fun, but that was about it.

The story and dialogue are just so, so bad.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Quick post:

I loved almost every second of it. DLC made it even better. Probably my favorite KH to date in terms of gameplay right now. One day I will also finish the DLC on critical but right now I'm not doing it lmao. Beating the secret boss on Proud was already the achievement of my life.

I'm excited for what the future holds for the series, except on the mobile games.