• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
That's not the case. As I posted previously about Walmart, and has been written about a lot, companies are beginning to use blockchain for lots of creative practises around their hard-goods and assets. It's literally solving problems. The example I posted above was it allowing for powerful automated tracking of various variables which allowed Walmart to do the previously impossible and track problems on a massive supply chain.
They choose to use blockchain but nothing they are doing requires blockchain.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have time to respond to all these quotes, so apologies in advance. If you say something even slightly posivite about blockchains on this site you get dogpiled, even if you're heavily caveating that.

Okay, I will say something positive about the blockchain. As a mathematician and Computer Scientist, the block chain is beautiful. It is truly a marvel of algorithmic mathematics. It makes you want to believe it us truly as revolutionary just based on that. I do believe that many of the concepts have a great potential. But the current iteration is just a tool for grifters to make themselves rich.

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I do find it amusing that crypto prices seem to always creep up when markets are closed (either weekend or holidays), but then quickly swerve back down when markets are open (and down).

It's almost like people are just itching to trade and can't do it with normal stocks, so crypto sees the (short) benefit for the day.

What the fuck is this thread even about anymore?

Crypto playbook 101. Come in to an unrelated thread to argue the virtues of crypto to eventually get it locked for being off-topic and stop all negative discussion. It's ultimately the goal they want, they know they're not "convincing" anyone so it's mostly just a song and dance to bait people into a ban, get the thread locked, and go gloat about it in the Crypto OT about how "crazy" the rest of the forum is.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is this thread even about anymore?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing revolutionary about blockchain. It won't change the world and it will not be a part of every aspect of our lives, despite what the crypto enthusiasts would have you believe.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I like to have a thread discussing crypto on ERA :S . I think it worthwhile to have a thread were we can discuss it merits/drawbacks and news about the industry and educate people about its dangers. I think this thread does that and it is clearly not promoting it, which is the main danger.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I like to have a thread discussing crypto on ERA :S . I think it worthwhile to have a thread were we can discuss it merits/drawbacks and news about the industry and educate people about its dangers. I think this thread does that and it is clearly not promoting it, which is the main danger.

Normally discussion is restricted to the community thread for stuff like that. Usually crypto threads get shut down outside of big news ones like this one.

OP
OP
Teh_Lurv

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Similarly, I know Blackrock was about to launch a crypto ETF and that blew up last minute with the crypto crash.

To my surprise, Fidelity's plan to allow companies to include Bitcoin in 401k portfolios is still going ahead as of the end of May:
www.nbcnews.com

Fidelity lets companies offer bitcoin in a 401(k). One financial analyst thinks it’s a ‘terrible idea.’

The financial services firm says bitcoin represents a long-term investment on future blockchain technology.

I can't think of a worse idea than to peg your retirement savings to crypto.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
To my surprise, Fidelity's plan to allow companies to include Bitcoin in 401k portfolios is still going ahead as of the end of May:
www.nbcnews.com

Fidelity lets companies offer bitcoin in a 401(k). One financial analyst thinks it’s a ‘terrible idea.’

The financial services firm says bitcoin represents a long-term investment on future blockchain technology.

Big yikes. After June I gotta believe that is also on the chopping block, although just letting people use their own money isn't as bad as losing 60% an ETFs original funding 😅

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Crypto playbook 101. Come in to an unrelated thread to argue the virtues of crypto to eventually get it locked for being off-topic and stop all negative discussion. It's ultimately the goal they want, they know they're not "convincing" anyone so it's mostly just a song and dance to bait people into a ban, get the thread locked, and go gloat about it in the Crypto OT about how "crazy" the rest of the forum is.
I thought I was seeing this exact thing! Glad other people are noticin git.

Jun 10, 2018
www.nbcnews.com

Wasn't there a retirement fund that recently got virtually wiped out due to a crypto asset failing spectacularly? Has Fidelity learned nothing from that?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
www.nbcnews.com

If anything (some) people are going to jump at the opportunity, because they believe that this is the "low" point of the crypto cycle and thus the "perfect" time to buy in. A real dangerous game to play, especially when it comes to retirement money, but I wouldn't be shocked if there are those who see this as the only way they'll actually "accrue" enough money for retirement to matter. That's what makes all this so appealing to people. They feel they missed the boat for success and diving headfirst into crypto is their last chance to make it. Tie that together with insecurity about your future/old age, and you have a winning (read: losing) combination.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to respond to all these quotes, so apologies in advance. If you say something even slightly posivite about blockchains on this site you get dogpiled, even if you're heavily caveating that.

Because there are no positives to blockchain outside if performing illegal activities. That's the thing you all need to get into your heads. It's a pointless, useless technology that is categorically inferior to every system of record-keeping we use now that requires any level if legitimacy. It'd be better to go back to the days of paper filing than embrace any implementation of blockchain whatsoever. It's just that bad.

This is not a both sides issue.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I do find it amusing that crypto prices seem to always creep up when markets are closed (either weekend or holidays), but then quickly swerve back down when markets are open (and down).

It's almost like people are just itching to trade and can't do it with normal stocks, so crypto sees the (short) benefit for the day.
This isn't unique to crypto, it's the same with extended hours trading in the stock market.

Volatility increases during these period because the volume of trades is significantly down, therefore less trades are required to set the average bid / ask prices. Heavily traded assets are kind of self-regulating when it comes to price stabilizing, assets that aren't frequently traded or done so during after market periods have much larger swings up or down because it may only take a handful of traders to significantly over bid or under bid to set the market price.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This isn't unique to crypto, it's the same with extended hours trading in the stock market.

Volatility increases during these period because the volume of trades is significantly down, therefore less trades are required to set the average bid / ask prices. Heavily traded assets are kind of self-regulating when it comes to price stabilizing, assets that aren't frequently traded or done so during after market periods have much larger swings up or down because it may only take a handful of traders to significantly over bid or under bid to set the market price.

It is a "little" unique to crypto in that there's no concept of "extended" hours. It's 24/7 availability. Volume remains consistent because there's no clear cut start and stop points to the day. Holidays in which no trading is happening on (some) stock exchanges is still a trading day for crypto. It's always on, and I have a feeling that day traders who got the itch are using it when the regular market isn't available to them.

Oct 29, 2017
That being said, as far as I can tell everything is in the red today…

Edit: spoke too soon, opened my stonks app, and Meta and Snapchat are barely in the green…

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It is a "little" unique to crypto in that there's no concept of "extended" hours. It's 24/7 availability. Volume remains consistent because there's no clear cut start and stop points to the day. Holidays in which no trading is happening on (some) stock exchanges is still a trading day for crypto. It's always on, and I have a feeling that day traders who got the itch are using it when the regular market isn't available to them.
Except volume isn't consistent. It often actually aligns quite similarly to the US trading hours. It has 24/7 availability but so too does the global stock market, individual stocks don't.

Ultimately you aren't going to have many trading at 3AM in the US because they have "the itch", even with a 24 hour market, at a given time only a subset of those people will be trading dictated by timezones. It's really no different to the global market, with ebbs and flows of high or low volume, with increased volatility during those low periods.

Even looking at the 7 day chart. Volume is significantly higher today than it was on a holiday or over the weekend
coinmarketcap.com

Bitcoin price today, BTC to USD live price, marketcap and chart | CoinMarketCap

The live Bitcoin price today is $70,233.85 USD with a 24-hour trading volume of $17,557,908,396.77 USD. We update our BTC to USD price in real-time.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I wonder how many platforms/companies are limping in the dark right ready to collapse. there's no way all of them are easily weathering this

Normally discussion is restricted to the community thread for stuff like that. Usually crypto threads get shut down outside of big news ones like this one.
it's too bad we can't have a `https://web3isgoinggreat.com` OT, I do think a critical thread on crypto could help keep the smaller threads popping up. ill ask in the Constructive Community Discussion thread

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I think another consequence we'll see soon is the complete and utter destruction of all the meme coins. BTC and Eth will continue to survive, along with a few others, but the rest should, rightfully, be worth 0.

never

Oct 28, 2017
The faster bitcoin crashes into oblivion the better off our society will be and grifters will have to move on to some other dumb shit.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I wonder how many platforms/companies are limping in the dark right ready to collapse. there's no way all of them are easily weathering this

it's too bad we can't have a `https://web3isgoinggreat.com` OT, I do think a critical thread on crypto could help keep the smaller threads popping up. ill ask in the Constructive Community Discussion thread
I'm in for the idea so long as there's a hard rule against crypto evangelism and intentionally muddying the waters. A thread like that should focus on the pitfalls of crypto / web3 / NFTs and not serve as a platform for "I know crypto gets a lot of hate around here, so I'm here to tell you why you're wrong" takes.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

I mean there's really no reason why that type of general Crypto discussion can't go into the Crypto OT, is there? Critical thoughts about a game usually go in the respective games OT, and such is the case with most other bigger topics as well, so except for the actual Cryptobros being annoyed, which honestly, do you really care, I don't see the issue really.

I'm in for the idea so long as there's a hard rule against crypto evangelism and intentionally muddying the waters. A thread like that should focus on the pitfalls of crypto / web3 / NFTs and not serve as a platform for "I know crypto gets a lot of hate around here, so I'm here to tell you why you're wrong" takes.
I mean that's great and all, but it was noped by staff multiple times now, and if the begging keeps on (no offense, sorry), this thread will be closed in no time as well I assume. Crypto OT is the only acceptable area for crypto related everyday content I think.

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I mean there's really no reason why that type of general Crypto discussion can't go into the Crypto OT, is there? Critical thoughts about a game usually go in the respective games OT, and such is the case with most other bigger topics as well, so except for the actual Cryptobros being annoyed, which honestly, do you really care, I don't see the issue really.

I mean that's great and all, but it was noped by staff multiple times now, and if the begging keeps on (no offense, sorry), this thread will be closed in no time as well I assume. Crypto OT is the only acceptable area for crypto related everyday content I think.
Roger, lets squash this discussion then!

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the case. As I posted previously about Walmart, and has been written about a lot, companies are beginning to use blockchain for lots of creative practises around their hard-goods and assets.
But in the case you are describing (house sale), the time gain wouldn't come from using blockchain, it would be from digitalizing and centralizing all the information needed for all legal checks. Once you have digitally centralized all that, you can use any other usual technology just as well to perform the required checks.
Or said another way: any check you make via the blockchain (which was the benefit you cited) can be made (probably more efficiently) the "conventional" way with some program. The benefit you see is because you for some reason assume that right now, those checks aren't done wholly automatically because it isn't possible without blockchain; it's not the case, it's because it is impossible to do them automatically, as the data needed isn't in digital form, or in databases purposefully kept strictly separate.
Even the other "benefit" of using blockchain for house ownership (public registry visible by all) is just as well doable without blockchain, there's just no will to have it that way (probably for good reason too imo).

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

The Crypto OT is almost entirely frequented by people involved in and in favor of crypto, so I doubt taking generally negative stances is going to be well received. The whole reason there are stricter rules around Crypto/NFT talk is because mods got tired of dealing with the disproportionate amount of reports it generated, and I would guess the same thing would happen if everyone in this thread migrated there.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The Crypto OT is almost entirely frequented by people involved in and in favor of crypto, so I doubt taking generally negative stances is going to be well received.
Oh I'm absolutely aware. But it's an OT, and if discussion about general problems, issues and straight up scams in Crypto aren't allowed anywhere else, this seems like the logical solution for me.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of people playing up buzzwords to appeal to shareholders and rich people who are in on the grift. Consider that in the first place blockchain is not a business concept, it's a programming one and programming experts are pretty much universal on it being trash

A reminder there was a while where businesses that had literally nothing to do with blockchain would change their names to pretend they did since it would immediately inflate their stocks even though they had changed nothing about their actual financial situation or business plan

I don't see how it ever will, since there are properties to current fiat currency(assuming you're in the global north) that crypto simply cannot provide, like being insured and backed by a whole ass country full of real people providing tangible goods and services. There's also the issue of scalability that blockchain backed currencies(which is all of them right now, I believe) are already struggling to deal with in regards to transaction throughput and energy usage. In a global sense, relatively few people transact using crypto and it is already quite slow and energy hungry, and that cost and time to process is going to scale linearly with the number of people partaking in a given blockchain.

Some crypto enthusiasts pay lip service to it being good for people in the global south, where currencies are weaker and governments less stable, but I don't know how seriously to take those arguments. Frankly, I don't know much about crypto usage/proliferation in the global south, but I am suspicious of these arguments since they're generally not coming from people living in those countries.

If the underlying technology does not improve or change, then I don't see how crypto is even allowed to exist in a future where energy availability is fraught.

I mean, the only times I've ever heard that is from those who already have a vested interest in it. There's no one on the sidelines who "isn't" invested in crypto out there fighting the good fight. They advertise it because they've bought in and now are ready to sing it's praises.

And you can understand why from a consumer-hostile standpoint. The very idea of NFTs (creating scarcity of a resource that isn't limited) is a business owner's wet dream.

Like most things the answer is somewhere in the middle. You struggle to really get a good view of crypto here on Resetera, the hatred of it is strong, some irrational, some not (the scams, ridiculous statements about Blockchain gaming/application in general, the power usage etc). At the same time though I'm sure it's obvious that the hype of vast majority of crypto is hugely overblown in many respects.

Absolutely Blockchain tech has huge business applications in the future in areas such as accounting, supply chain, regulatory tracking etc. Some of this is already starting to be implemented, but it's going to a long process as it moves slowly. This will be transformative for some orgs/business functions, but it's not something we'll ever see as consumers.

So that's the business side. For consumer side, there are some implementations with stuff like stablecoins usage for payments, NFTs, some limited DeFi stuff and so on. So some pretty decent specific stuff, but nothing world changing. NFTs have the potential to be pretty big in the future, but at the minute they're still quite nascent and it'll take time to move on from the recent bubble pop into seeing it develop into more.

For me personally however the "idea of crypto having any future is laughable" is the laughable bit. I would put the likelihood of that as close to 0% as is possible given where we are already. Anyone saying that crypto isn't going away fully is being disingenuous in my opinion.

Does that mean BTC needs to hit 100k, or that EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME will be crypto like many say?!

...no. It definitely doesn't, and the narrative that BTC can act as an inflation hedge is completely shot, which will take time to move past. But crypto in general/underlying Blockchain tech will be there in some form in many business and consumer side applications in the future, no doubt about that.

Thank you all! It sounds like the expected returns are things that are way more business-focused than consumer-focused?

I know that people from companies like Salesforce are super excited about it, but in a web3 way moreso than a way that improves existing business processes. For example, how the wallet can be used as an identifier as opposed to email...

So based on what's being said from all of your responses summarized:

Consumer applications, probably not a thing except for crypto enthusiasts.

Business applications, definitely a strong case and already in-flight.

And finally, as a currency, probably DOA.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As this thread has repeatedly devolved into talking about general discussions surrounding crypto currency and has not stayed on topic, it's time for it to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.