• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gloomy

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Project Soul is pretty much only known for Soul Calibur and we are at the point where it's been the longest time without a Soul Calibur game.

I know that Project Soul worked on Pokken but are they just grunt work/internal studio now?

That would suck if they had their series taken away from them. But I can't truly say what their fate is.

Is "The Legend Will Never Die." the same as "darkstalkers are not dead"?

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they reboot the series, Soul Calibur not only have a good and wide variety of characters but also an amazing story and world. I want Talim and the crazy girl with the circle sword back!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Reworked for PachiSlot and/or mobile.

Get ready to pull that sweet ass UR Sophitia!

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting a user named Thorrgal from page 262 of the Sony PlayStation First-Party Studios & their Current Projects thread on NeoGAF (post #13060):

Thorrgal said:
I know this is not relevant to 1st Party studios but this is the thread I mainly read so might as well tell you guys

I'm not even sure if it has been announced already buy I heard they're getting ready to publish Soul Calibur 6 in Europe.

Take it with a grain of salt and all that

Edit: I heard = someone in the industry told me

Then post #13090:

Thorrgal said:
Sorry, about Soul Calibur 6 when I said "they" I didn't mean Sony.

I don't want to be too specific as to what my friend's job is, but to publish a japanese game in Europe there's some steps you have to take, and he found out about it in one of those steps.

I should have said is not related to Sony in any way, first of third party.

Is just some cool info I wanted to share with my fello sonyers, sorry for the confusion

Avoiding linking as per the rules.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I am pretty sure that its simple opportunity cost: if they were to develop a new fighting game, a new Tekken will always make more sense. Why? Because of south korean arcade scene+more or less equal sales. There was a point in time when Soul Calibur had a bit better console sales than Tekken, but that time was just an anomaly (SCII), and that era has passed. I am not happy about it, but most Japanese publishers do not seem to like expanding staff too much :(

I am pretty sure that its simple opportunity cost: if they were to develop a new fighting game, a new Tekken will always make more sense. Why? Because of south korean arcade scene+more or less equal sales. There was a point in time when Soul Calibur had a bit better console sales than Tekken, but that time was just an anomaly (SCII), and that era has passed. I am not happy about it, but most Japanese publishers do not seem to like expanding staff too much :(
No, the last soul Cal outsold the biggest tekken ever despite it being rushed and lacking the series signature deep single player modes.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
No, the last soul Cal outsold the biggest tekken ever despite it being rushed and lacking the series signature deep single player modes.
Hm, I could have sworn that
a) Harada recently talked about TTT2 being a disappointment in sales, even compared to T6
b) T7 sold better than TTT2, by a LARGE margin - and expanded the playerbase to pc as well.

(Now that I think about it, a potential new Soul Calibur on pc...DAMN)

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Quoting a user named Thorrgal from page 262 of the Sony PlayStation First-Party Studios & their Current Projects thread on NeoGAF (post #13060):

Then post #13090:

Avoiding linking as per the rules.

I really hope this leads to something. But I've been hoping that for ages. Lost Swords, garbage that it was, ended almost two years ago, and V is over five years old. There was that popularity poll, then the character showdown that got abandoned late last year. The 20th anniversary has come and gone, and so far it's all amounted to nil.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
A mainline outselling a spin-off title isn't to shocking.

I hope there is a new one.

May have been a spinoff but it had the most resources poured into it than any previous installment in the series prior to it, while SC5 was fucking barebones by comparison. Pretty sure Namco expected the spinoff selling a fair bit more than the mainline in this case.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Did Bamco ever comment if Tekken 7 was a success or not? Probably a lot rides on that in regards to new Soul Calibur.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of a logical reason, so maybe the series producer doesn't have a good relationship with the higher-ups or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Soul Calibur 5 was that semi-reboot and it didn't do too hot since half the fan-favourites were missing.

I still loved it. Probably my favorite 3D fighing game series (sorry Tekken). Hopefully the series makes a comeback soon.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite gaming franchise of all time needs to make a comeback. Throw the cast of SC4, the general feel of SC3AE, and the meter mechanics of SC5 in a blender. Serve on multiple platforms including PC. Profit.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that these are necessary in any Soul Calibur thread *ahem*:

"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."
"Fate conspired to arrange their battle."
"Now, two souls are fiercely entangled."

I mean the first line should just be the general philosophy of the series as a whole.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Hibernating in preparation for its glorious return I hope. I love the Street Fighters and the Tekkens, but Soul Calibur was always my jam.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harada still the producer of those games iirc. Soul Calibur always sells well and 6 outsold tag 2 which was the biggest Tekken ever at the time. I'm sure we'll hear talks of soul Cal in the next year or two now that tekken 7 is out of the way.

You're forgetting arcade revenue in that equation. I would want a Soul Calibur 6 to be in arcades for me to have any confidence in it.

I just hope the meter system and the other SC5 mechanics die in a fire- it's not what I want out of a Soul Calibur game.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doesn't Namco usually flip between Tekken and Soul Caliber ? Also SC5 under preformed so they probably want to have some breathing room. It will come back at some point though , now that Tekken 7 finally came to consoles.... it just might take awhile.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the series isn't dead.

I want to see my girl Ivy rendered by the power of PS4 Pro/Xbox1X (or S, or whichever one is the newest model).

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure some Soul Calibur people also worked on Smash 4 (and are now working on whatever Smash Switch turns out to be).

Oct 25, 2017
SCV underperformed so Harada said "Well this didn't do so hot so obviously the fans must be tired of SC". The franchise pretty much got the Tekken 4 treatment in that it now doesn't exist in his eyes.

I'd love to see the next game just be a straight up reboot called "SoulCalibur". Base the gameplay around SCII with some basic meter mechanics (but dear god keep GI as a basic meterless tool). Give the game the same bright colorful aesthetic as SCII too. Include the SCII cast completely redone plus fan faves from SCIII, SCIV, and SCV, and if they add a character customization again, please don't dumb it down like TTT2 and Tekken 7 both did relative to their previous installments.

To be honest just remake SCII with SCV's customization and SCIII's story mode (don't even need full CG, save money and just do endings). It won't take much to please SC fans at this point.

Edit: Oh, and it has to be on PC. As much as I call out T7 for it's bs, I have to admit it has among the best PC ports in the genre. I'd love to see SCVI get that same sort of love so long as it doesn't get tainted with Denuvo poison like T7 did.

Last edited:

LazerTed

Oct 29, 2017
A reboot based on the bones of SCII would be amazing. I bought a cheap fightstick to play Gundam Versus with and also picked up Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, but have barely touched either. A new SC game would have me glued to the damn thing as that's pretty much the only fighting game franchise I've given any real attention to besides Smash.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bring Link back and it'll sell like hot cakes again. It is known.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be ok with SC6 as a launch title for the next-gen consoles. By then the series would have had a healthy break and maybe they'll even reboot the story.
Soul Calibur being a next-gen graphical showcase seems fitting after the way the first Soul Calibur was on Dreamcast.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Screw guest characters if I'm not getting ma boi Hwang.

SCVI needs to happen soon. The soul still burns!

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
It's coming one day. When and where is anyones guess though.
I really hope they reboot the series, Soul Calibur not only have a good and wide variety of characters but also an amazing story and world. I want Talim and the crazy girl with the circle sword back!
V was basically a soft reboot with new characters, didn't workout well for them so I don't think they'd try it for awhile again.

Oct 25, 2017
It's coming one day. When and where is anyones guess though.V was basically a soft reboot with new characters, didn't workout well for them so I don't think they'd try it for awhile again.
I think by reboot he means something like a remake or redo of one of the earlier games.
Less Tekken 3 and more Tekken 4, roster-wise.