hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Not a movie but I was disappointed that Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast wasnt Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II, Dark Forces III

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Should have been:

Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II, Dark Forces III
Star Wars Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast II, Jedi Knight III, Dark Forces IIII

Would have been glorious!
Kind of along the same lines was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2

You've got the universe or whatever brand, the game, the subseries title then a number.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
95eb83542315080493f9a00e01920fe6.png

Also, Disney Epic Mickey and Marvel's Spider-Man.
PC versions are even longer with added Gamer Edition and Signature Edition added.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Mainline Starwars films are the gold standard for sequel names.
What, you mean...

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

That's consistency for you?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
What, you mean...

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

That's consistency for you?
Nice try, Episode IV was added into the title into a new hope in 1981, empire and return of the Jedi both had episode in the title upon release.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The Jackie Chan movie, Armour of God II: Operation Condor. Had nothing to do with the Armour of God but it was a sequel, so…

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't market episode VII-IX on the posters and trailers with numbers, as they were a soft reboot with a focus on new characters, the numbers are arguably daunting to newcomers. So they might have been concerned calling it Star Wars: Rogue One might create some brand confusion before episode VIII came out.
Good point, but still annoying. I would've taken Star Wars: Episode 3.5: A New Hope -1: Rogue One over the goofy "A Star Wars Story" branding.

TxTlUDf.jpeg

Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Or if you wanna get really technical:
Super Mario Bros. 6: Super Mario World 4: Yoshi's Island 3: Yoshis'a Island DS 2: Yoshi's New Island.

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
The Lost World
Jurassic Park
Lol yes, this one's mine, and I'm generally pretty flexible about this kind of thing.

I would've accepted The Lost World, or Jurassic Park: The Lost World, or Jurassic Park II: The Lost World, or even The Lost World: Jurassic Park II.

But it's like they specifically chose the most annoying variation possible.

Maybe if they punctuated it like The Lost World (Jurassic Park) lol

Rambo: First Blood Part II is a silly title.

I'm ok with that one. It's when they simply jumped straight to RAMBO III that distresses me.

Let's talk about films with Rambo in them.

First Blood
First Blood: Part Two
Rambo III
John Rambo
Rambo Last Blood

Stick to a fucking pattern! Mainline Starwars films are the gold standard for sequel names.

Lol sort of illustrating how haphazard they got, the second one was actually Rambo: First Blood Part II. And "John Rambo" was actually just Rambo, without even bothering to add a "First Blood Part IV," which come to think of it might actually be more annoying than Rambo III!

Stick to a fucking pattern! Mainline Starwars films are the gold standard for sequel names.

Er, Star Wars wasn't totally consistent, they upended the naming scheme twice:

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith

Though you could argue they made it easy to differentiate between the various trilogies, which is worth something.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Er, Star Wars wasn't totally consistent, they upended the naming scheme twice:

Though you could argue they made it easy to differentiate between the various trilogies, which is worth something.
[/QUOTE]
Starwars started the episode titles with Empire strikes back, then it was retroactively added into a new hope in 1981, which is understandable since there was no knowing if the film was going to be successful.

But ya I think Rambo may be the least consistently titled series out there.

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
Starwars started the episode titles with Empire strikes back, then it was retroactively added into a new hope in 1981, which is understandable since there was no knowing if the film was going to be successful.

But ya I think Rambo may be the least consistently titled series out there.

They never REAAAALLLY changed the title of Star Wars, it was always an optional marketing thing like "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," and it didn't start until 1999. In fact, if we count that we'd also have to count that Disney changed the title again to "Star Wars: A New Hope" in 2015.

Yes, the movies' text crawls carried "Episode ___" since the early 80s, but it was understood to be a quasi- in-universe thing (these are all chapters in some storybook called "Star Wars") if anybody noticed it in the first place (most didn't - in fact I recall "DID YOU KNOW the original Star Wars is actually Part 4!" was often a mindblowing bit of bar trivia throughout the 90s).

I was actually shocked when they made "Episode I" an official part of the title for The Phantom Menace, though it was a brilliant marketing move. A lot of people had never even heard of a "prequel" before.

Last edited:

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, the original Star Wars was referred to as Episode IV in 1981, 18 years before the release of The Phantom Menace? I never knew that
Ya, a new hope had a bunch of touching up even before they were adding CGI. Most of the changes were just cleaning up shots, changing the title crawl, stuff most people never noticed.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Didn't some of the YA movies of the early Teens do this? The Twilight Saga and The Divergent Series.

Looks like Hunger Games and The Maze Runner were just put in the tile about the original book's title.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Not a movie but I was disappointed that Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast wasnt Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II, Dark Forces III

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Should have been:

Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II, Dark Forces III
Star Wars Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast II, Jedi Knight III, Dark Forces IIII

Would have been glorious!
Always hated how they dropped the 3 from jedi knight for jedi academy. As a kid I always thought outcast was the sequel to academy because it had "2" in the name. Must have been really confusing for consumers.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This one is weird because they actually dropped it for the followup Wolverine-headlining movies. The first Wolverine movie is "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and the second is "The Wolverine".

it was meant to be a subfranchise focusing on each x-men. i think storm and gambit were expected to have their own x-men origins movies too before wolverine was a critical failure.

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
Ya, a new hope had a bunch of touching up even before they were adding CGI. Most of the changes were just cleaning up shots, changing the title crawl, stuff most people never noticed.

I keep coming in and "correcting" you in this thread so sorry if I'm being annoying, lol, but just to be clear aside from the text crawl Star Wars didn't really receive any edits more extensive than any other movie got (mostly brighter color timing to look better on TVs). The sound mix received some minor updates over time, too (there was also a difference between the 70mm and 35mm sound mixes as was the norm).

You might be thinking of the couple of new special effects shots added to the end of The Empire Strikes Back's 35mm prints a month into its release, which was indeed unusual.

Yeah, so people had been imagining and talking about how cool it was going to be when Lucas went back and did the prequels for nearly 20 years before TPM came out.

And just to put this more in context, especially by the early 90s if people were even aware that the prequels were supposed to be a thing, they were basically regarded as mythical at that point. Like every so often George Lucas would say in an interview "oh, I'm still gonna do those one of these days" but people basically had a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude, it just sounded like all talk and that if he really wanted to do them he would've done so already.

So not only was there 20 years of pent-up fan anticipation, there was a sense of "oh my god, those crazy motherfuckers actually did it!"

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Not as bad as others, but I never liked Metroid Prime becoming a subseries.

As it is:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters
  • Metroid Prime Pinball
  • Metroid Prime Federation Force

I'd prefer:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Echoes
  • Metroid Corruption
  • Metroid Hunters
  • Metroid Pinball
  • Metroid Federation Force

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I keep coming in and "correcting" you in this thread so sorry if I'm being annoying, lol, but just to be clear aside from the text crawl Star Wars didn't really receive any edits more extensive than any other movie got (mostly brighter color timing to look better on TVs). The sound mix received some minor updates over time, too (there was also a difference between the 70mm and 35mm sound mixes as was the norm).

You might be thinking of the couple of new special effects shots added to the end of The Empire Strikes Back's 35mm prints a month into its release, which was indeed unusual.
Don't worry, you are being very proper with the whole thing.

As for your point yes, outside of the opening crawl, nothing much was really changed outside of touch ups to scenes. I didn't mean to imply that major was changed, like adding additional scenes or the like. More adjusting some explosions, fixing some composite shots, etc. I may not have been as clear as I have been drinking and just polished off the last of a bottle of wine.

I was not aware of the empire strikes back changes though. I wonder if it was a case of running late or George got a bug in him about it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Blame them, or plane most consumers for not wanting to try new things

The branding provides a familiary bridge that allows these sequels and spin offs to exist

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
Don't worry, you are being very proper with the whole thing.

As for your point yes, outside of the opening crawl, nothing much was really changed outside of touch ups to scenes. I didn't mean to imply that major was changed, like adding additional scenes or the like. More adjusting some explosions, fixing some composite shots, etc. I may not have been as clear as I have been drinking and just polished off the last of a bottle of wine.

It's all good, I mostly just wanted to make clear for everyone the difference between (mostly) a normal part of the remastering process rather than Lucas just swooping in all like "I am altering the films, pray I don't alter them any further!"

I was not aware of the empire strikes back changes though. I wonder if it was a case of running late or George got a bug in him about it.

As far as I know Lucas has never spoken about it (I don't think he wanted anyone to notice), but it would seem the goal was to make the final scene more clear in regards to where exactly Luke and Leia are in relation to the Millennium Falcon, which otherwise isn't fully revealed until the last shot.

Below someone re-edited the ending to match an audio tape recording of the 70mm release. I don't think I would have ever noticed there was any difference if I didn't already know.

View: https://youtu.be/cmbl8tLOfFE?si=PMAUbQvwjCys7nQy

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

As it is:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime Pinball

I'd prefer:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Echoes
  • Metroid Corruption
  • Metroid Hunters
  • Metroid Pinball
I didn't like it at first when Metroid Prime 2 Echoes was announced but fine with it because they don't tell a stand alone story and Metroid Prime is the main villian across the games. I wouldn't have called Metroid Prime Hunters and Federation Force Primes because they're irrelevant to that story.

OrangeKnight

May 8, 2023
Not really the same thing but Birds of Prey was renamed to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey before being renamed again to Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).

Really? I remember it 'just' being called Bird of Prey and that a bit later they added the '(and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)', but I've never heard that second title.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This one is weird because they actually dropped it for the followup Wolverine-headlining movies. The first Wolverine movie is "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and the second is "The Wolverine".

it was meant to be a subfranchise focusing on each x-men. i think storm and gambit were expected to have their own x-men origins movies too before wolverine was a critical failure.

IIRC the second one they were going to do was Magneto and a lot of the Magneto focus in First Class was recycled from that script.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War for the Planet of the Apes
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

This is too many "of the"s but they clearly think just "Rise of the Apes" isn't clear enough what series it's from so they roll with the exceedingly clunky ... of the ... of the. Honestly would have preferred "Planet of the Apes: Subtitle" than what we got.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Not a movie, but Arkane's "Prey".

No idea what marketing department decided it was essential to use the IP title for a middling sci-fi shooter from the previous decade, but they just shoehorned it right on there.

It says nothing about the game, doesn't seem to have any thematic relevance and inhibits the ability for Arkane to have a unique title on an incredibly unique game.

If anything it just confuses things in how it may be related to the previous Prey game, which it isn't at all.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017

As it is:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime Pinball

I'd prefer:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Echoes
  • Metroid Corruption
  • Metroid Hunters
  • Metroid Pinball
I think it makes sense for the the main trilogy (and Pinball?) because they are about a character called Metroid Prime, but it's dumb that Prime just equals first person for the games where there isn't a Metroid Prime in them.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
This is less about brand but I get a little irritated by Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story. Initially, I thought the second part was just a tagine but it kept appearing on all promotion and I even saw articles include it as if it's the subtitle.

It's even how it's listed on Rotten Tomatoes.
Their PR campaign prior to the change and the actor's strike really did numbers on this one. Audiences were confused about what the movie was in the first place and Sony couldn't use the actors for any PR because of the strike, so they basically changed the tagline to be included to try to boost ticket sales.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't the 1st one though, it was the 2nd one! Red dead redemption 2 is actually the 3rd red dead game! literally anything following the theme of "Red Dead R_____" would have been better
Both games are about the theme of redemption though. They're two parts of that same story. They could have called it it Red Dead Retribution or Red Dead Revolution but it's not really what it's about.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
final fantasy xvi

could've just been xvi can you imagine how cool that would be

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Rise of the Apes
Dawn of the Apes
War of the Apes

Kingdom of the Apes

This is too many "of the"s but they clearly think just "Rise of the Apes" isn't clear enough what series it's from so they roll with the exceedingly clunky ... of the ... of the. Honestly would have preferred "Planet of the Apes: Subtitle" than what we got.

Fixed*

Was it really that hard to fix ffs? Fucking SEO's.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
My problem is they sound too similar.

Especically Battle for the Planet of the Apes/ War of the Planet of the Apes, Rise of the Planet of the Apes/Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
They even let the new Poirot adaptations kept their original titles.

It's "A haunting in Venice" and not "Agatha Christie presents: A Haunting in Venice , a Hurcule Poirot story"
If they'd used the original title it would've been called Hallowe'en Party and not the totally original name they gave it.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Rian Johnson supposedly wanted 'A Benoit Blanc Mystery' to be the recurring subtitle for the series but Netflix forced his hand to put Knives Out in the title instead for brand recognition and so forth.
I think the problem there is that Netflix doesn't have the rights for the first film (or at least not in most territories), so this was their solution to that problem.

But I would love it if the third film is titled "Whatever Title: A Glass Onion Mystery" because that would be just awesome.