Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Seriously this game is excellent.

Launch Trailer

www.youtube.com

Gloomhaven - Launch Trailer

✅ Link to the game 👉 https://bit.ly/3vuupe5Whether you are drawn to the lands of Gloomhaven by the call of adventure or an avid desire for the glimmer of ...

Gameplay Trailer (from Early Access, doesnt look like there is a new one)

Steam link

store.steampowered.com

Gloomhaven on Steam

Lead your band of mercenaries in the land of Gloomhaven, work with unsavoury individuals, shape the fate of the region, fight your way through horrific places and get rich or die trying in this ruthless Tactical-RPG.

Its also on GoG i believe.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Cool. I dig the actual board game, very curious about this since that game IS pretty much a videogame haha

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Cool. I dig the actual board game, very curious about this since that game IS pretty much a videogame haha
I never played the board game but i'm enjoying this a lot. If you enjoy the board game, you'd probably enjoy this although its not the exact same.

Quote from the devs

A 1:1 adaptation was both not possible or desirable, as digital platforms and their gameplay have their own advantages and drawbacks compared to tabletop. Keep in mind that differences remain very minor and Gloomhaven Digital is a very faithful adaptation of the original gameplay and design.
Every difference implemented in Gloomhaven Digital was closely discussed and custom-tailored together with the original board game author, Isaac Childres, to ensure we stayed true to Gloomhaven's core design.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, gnarly. I've been waiting for it to come out of EA.
I love the board game and have been waiting for this to be fleshed out more and have full co-op before diving in.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
yeah this shit absolutely fuckin slaps

hopefully my d&d group is gonna get into this next year once our lives slow down a bit - basically everyone has an infant rn

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually playing a campaign of the board game on Wednesday nights lol. Game is quite fun, but a lot of upkeep so the videogame must be a lot more convenient.
I may try to start another campaign with a different group of friends remotely if the videogame is well done.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
The game was in a pretty good state before launch, I hope they stuck the landing with the addition of the campaign. As a plus for any board game version players, playing the video game cleared up some of the rules that my group misunderstood from the original manual.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if this has the secret envelopes and solo missions?

I already bought it and I'm excited to play with friends. Loved the board game, just takes forever to get anything done.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So just reading through here kind of gets me interested in the board game....

I've never really played a board game like this before...

Would Gloomhaven be a good start for me and my wife?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Gloomhaven the board game is a pretty complicated, expansive place to start. I would consider starting a bit smaller - what kind of game are you looking for?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
If you get this you will save yourself HUNDREDS on the board game....whew the amount of money our group has put into this game haha (Albeit on things you don't need but more so a thing of convenience for us on hour 14 hour weekly sessions)

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

It's a phenomenal game but it is a major investment, both in terms of money AND time.
Try starting with something smaller and work your way up to GH. Gotta see if you're "board game people".

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Gloomhaven the board game is a pretty complicated, expansive place to start. I would consider starting a bit smaller - what kind of game are you looking for?

It's a phenomenal game but it is a major investment, both in terms of money AND time.
Try starting with something smaller and work your way up to GH. Gotta see if you're "board game people".

Got any recs?

I guess I like the idea of something me and my wife can play together. And of course I like RPGs.

Just ordered some mystery board game on Amazon for us to play. Only $25 so let's see how that goes. Thanks for stopping me from diving in all the way lol.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend Jaw of the Lions. Often goes on sale for like 25-30. It's baby Gloomhaven (but still complex).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Got any recs?

I guess I like the idea of something me and my wife can play together. And of course I like RPGs.

Just ordered some mystery board game on Amazon for us to play. Only $25 so let's see how that goes. Thanks for stopping me from diving in all the way lol.

I usually recommend Pandemic but no one wants to play that these days...

I suggest co-op titles like:

Spirit Island: you & your wife are spirits on an island , each with unique abilities. Protect your land from invading colonists!

Marvel Champions: you & your wife are each a Marvel hero with your own deck of cards. Battle a villain while managing the needs of your alter ego (Peter Parker still needs to pay rent!)

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Champions: you & your wife are each a Marvel hero with your own deck of cards. Battle a villain while managing the needs of your alter ego (Peter Parker still needs to pay rent!)
This is a great recommendation. Very accessible, but has depth if you want to go further. Co-op stuff also puts less pressure on new players.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've been looking forward to the full campaign, although I didn't mind what they had already implemented.

I've largely been playing my full version (where I 3d printed a bunch of scenery) solo but it can be a chore to set up and put away. Being able to just fire up the game on my computer sounds nice.

I also don't have to fiddle with the companion app - not a knock against it, though, as it's way easier than messing around with all the monster cards and initiative shit.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'd recommend Jaw of the Lions. Often goes on sale for like 25-30. It's baby Gloomhaven (but still complex).

I second this, too. It's much friendlier for beginners as you get eased into the mechanics through a couple of missions, and there isn't as overwhelming an array of characters to choose from.

And then you can just jump into regular Gloomhaven when you want more.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

This is basically 99% the board game.

The changes amount to this:

* In the physical game if there is a tie between two monster types on initiative, the players get to choose collectively which monster type goes first. In the digital game, the AI chooses. This means you can't game the enemies as much.

* Envelope X has been removed because it fundamentally wouldn't be doable in a digital game.

* Card enchantment stickers don't persist between digital games, unlike the physical game which is a Legacy game.

* Card enchantment stickers are independent in the digital game, and not shared between all players.

* Tinkers have had Chimeric Formula (bottom) changed due to being unimplementable on the digital game.

* Some items have changed to avoid user interaction "when attacked" or outside a player's turn.

* Leather Armor has 2 charges now.

* Characters will always have a Personal Quest. A subset of quests refresh whenever they run out.

* The number of bonus perks is tracked across the party rather than the individual. Once the first character has retired, new characters will receive one bonus perk. Once a character with a single bonus perk retires, new characters will get two bonus perks, etc.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Got any recs?

If you don't mind the virtual route (since you're in a thread about the digital version of Gloomhaven), you and your wife can sign up for free accounts over at Tabletopia and Board Game Arena to check out the many free board game conversions you can both play together.

Here's a YouTuber with some recommendations to start with:

www.youtube.com

Top 10 Board Games to Play Online on Tabletopia

I recommend the best board games to play online using TabletopiaSupport the channel: http://patreon.com/actualolLinks:10. On The UndergroundTabletopia - http...

www.youtube.com

Top 10 Games to Play Online on Board Game Arena

I recommend the best board games to play online for FREE on Board Game ArenaSupport the channel: http://patreon.com/actualolMy Top 10 Tabletop Simulator Game...

As for physical board games, if you're looking for co-op RPG experiences, there are plenty out there! Here's a link to a Board Game Geek thread called "The Dungeon Crawler Collector (2021)" which has overviews for many titles in the genre as well as how they may or may not appeal to "newbie", "casual", or "hardcore" board gaming groups, with 1 to 3 star ratings.

On topic, here's what they have to say about Gloomhaven.

The Dungeon Crawler Collection (2021) thread said:
The 'Newbie' gaming group –
Horrible. Didn't get to play this. Lost them in just explaining what this game was.
external image
external image
external image

The 'Casual' gaming group –
Luke warm with this. Many didn't like standees, and puzzle like aspect of calculating the damage (it doesn't help if you have accountants in the group). Liked the campaign mission variation, but was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the campaign content available (not a bad thing in my books)
external image
external image
external image

The 'Hardcore' gaming group –
Really enjoyed this. Pros: production quality, campaign content, combat design, theme, progression, reoccurring characters. Cons: no minis, destroying cards, price, availability. Arguably the best experience with a crawler (not the best crawler, but the best experience with a crawler).
external image
external image
external image

Perspective definition:

The 'Newbie' gaming group – this bunch of friends/family range from age 8-50. Have little or no experience with tabletop board gaming. Usually have trouble sitting for long gaming sessions. Always prefer quick gaming options which do not require much brain power. (I usually have to overlord/DM for this group)

The 'Casual' gaming group - this bunch of friends/family range from age 18-40. Have some experience with tabletop board gaming. Ideally like games that run from 1-3 hours per session. Like high production value games, easy to learn games, but still need a challenge and favour tactical choices. (Overlord/DM roles rotate)

The 'Hardcore' gaming group - this bunch of friends/family range from age 21-38. These are board gaming snobs, and are highly critical of mechanics and gameplay. Have absolutely no trouble sitting down and gaming for the entire day. Prefer highly customizable, challenging, and a good balance between fiddlyness and streamlining (the cost of fiddlyness must have a comparative benefit, not just fiddly for the sake of being fiddly). I fit into this group and am one of the older players in this group.

*Depending on which type of gamer you are, you should fit into one or more of these 3 categories.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got any recs?

Great tabletop games for newcomers to the scene (and still great for anyone really), off the top of my head-
Jaipur
Splendor
Pandemic
Spirit Island
Forbidden Island/Desert
Wingspan

Ask here for more recommendations!
www.resetera.com

Board Gaming Era |OT| (Mostly) Unplugged Gaming

Board games come in many varieties, from very light games that can be finished in a matter of minutes, to extremely long sessions with lots of decisions to make your brain burn! Even more plentiful are the themes that can be found. Think of almost any topic, and there is probably a game...

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Thirding this suggestion. It's on sale now at Target for $32, but there's also a random chance you have a Target Circle coupon for 25% off a single toy or game. The deals stack, so you can pick up Jaws of the Lion for like $25 from any Target.

Unlike Gloomhaven, Jaws of the Lion eases you into everything slowly. Your Character's decks have every symbol explained in plain text, and it walks you through every mechanic.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys. Interested in trying Pandemic and Marvel Champions.....gonna leave Gloomhaven for later. Def seems heavy for us to start with.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm interested but I have a few questions.

Is it playable solo?

If I play in co-op, how well does the experience scale up or down? I could probably only get one other friend to play.

What's the average play session length for this like? Do I have to commit 2+ hours each time I sit down?

What's the progression like? There's a full campaign, is there a beginning, middle, and an end? How's saving handled for co-op?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i have some family that may grab this so we can play it all together. We loved For the King

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The only top boardgame that I'll never buy. Campaign games are pretty hard to find whiling groups to play, and I don't really play online versions of boardgames (with the exception of Terraforming Mars and Through the Ages).

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
thanks for the heads up! last time i played this i finished a particularly grueling/challenging mission and it glitched out and i was so frustrated that i dropped it. 😂

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I've spent over 200 hours playing the board game, I just don't have it in me to play the video game lol.

Really freaking fantastic game though. For anyone who hasn't played it (either version), I highly recommend it.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
own the board game but it was too hard to set up so i never touched it lol
i bought it on steam like late last year
i heard this steam version has co op?
anybody setting up era discord or something?

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I've put like 300 hours into the EA. Love this game. Gonna start up the campaign with some friends tomorrow!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

* In the physical game if there is a tie between two monster types on initiative, the players get to choose collectively which monster type goes first. In the digital game, the AI chooses. This means you can't game the enemies as much.

* Envelope X has been removed because it fundamentally wouldn't be doable in a digital game.

* Card enchantment stickers don't persist between digital games, unlike the physical game which is a Legacy game.

* Card enchantment stickers are independent in the digital game, and not shared between all players.

* Tinkers have had Chimeric Formula (bottom) changed due to being unimplementable on the digital game.

* Some items have changed to avoid user interaction "when attacked" or outside a player's turn.

* Characters will always have a Personal Quest. A subset of quests refresh whenever they run out.

* The number of bonus perks is tracked across the party rather than the individual. Once the first character has retired, new characters will receive one bonus perk. Once a character with a single bonus perk retires, new characters will get two bonus perks, etc.
Good info thanks. This makes me wonder though, if this Gloomhaven videogame isn't a Legacy game, are you implying there's a set amount of levels/stages/scenarios you go through and nothing persists after that? Like you'd just play through it like any other game get to the end and beat it? Also, can I take a leveled character I've been playing with one friend group and then take it into another's?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never played the board game, but I enjoy turn based tactical/strategy games. I wish I could try this out.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX

A couple of these seem like things Isaac (the board game designer) would've wanted to do but couldn't due to physical limitations. Enhancements going away when a character retires, for example, makes complete sense, but because they're stickers, they're forced to work for every future iteration of that class in the physical version.

I restarted the campaign digitally today with a friend, and oh man does it move so much faster when there's not a ton of admin to deal with.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I own it, but... literally never played it. We have the physical Gloomhaven board game, and have gone through a ton of that. Looking forward to Frosthaven as well!

Eventually I'll need to put some time aside and try the video game.

anotherdayinbk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Great tabletop games for newcomers to the scene (and still great for anyone really), off the top of my head-
Jaipur
Splendor
Pandemic
Spirit Island
Forbidden Island/Desert
Wingspan

Ask here for more recommendations!
www.resetera.com

Board Gaming Era |OT| (Mostly) Unplugged Gaming

Board games come in many varieties, from very light games that can be finished in a matter of minutes, to extremely long sessions with lots of decisions to make your brain burn! Even more plentiful are the themes that can be found. Think of almost any topic, and there is probably a game...
love Jaipur for couples. Fast, fun, mechanics perfectly attuned to theme of trading. Wingspan is great too. Spirit Island is a bit more complicated

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Been playing Guildmaster pending the campaign release and it's fantastic. Almost got my friends to buy it, but then the price went up before they purchased, so now they're gonna wait for a sale.