UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the decorations, but after a while they do start to count. When you have 2 more than any other QB, then it becomes more important.

At the same time though, he will end his career with the most passing yards (he'll finish ahead of Brees, assuming Brees retires). He'll most likely finish with the most TDs. He'll finish with at least 60 more wins than the next closest QB, and his career win % will hover somewhere around .750+.

on top of that, he now has more than double the postseason wins than Montana (33 to 16). I mean, those stats are insane.

you can really pad those stats with endless short passes to welker and the like.

belichick is really good.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I agree with the decorations, but after a while they do start to count. When you have 2 more than any other QB, then it becomes more important.

At the same time though, he will end his career with the most passing yards (he'll finish ahead of Brees, assuming Brees retires). He'll most likely finish with the most TDs. He'll finish with at least 60 more wins than the next closest QB, and his career win % will hover somewhere around .750+.

on top of that, he now has more than double the postseason wins than Montana (33 to 16). I mean, those stats are insane.
And I don't disagree. His stats are seriously impressive. I just don't consider him to be the most skilled player to ever play the position. And despite him being a pretty big piece of shit off the field even I will admit he is Top 5 or 6 all time in terms of skill at the position. I can MAYBE be convinced to put him at 4. But I can't put him ahead of Montana no matter what. Best pure QB to ever take a snap.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
And I don't disagree. His stats are seriously impressive. I just don't consider him to be the most skilled player to ever play the position. And despite him being a pretty big piece of shit off the field even I will admit he is Top 5 or 6 all time in terms of skill at the position. I can MAYBE be convinced to put him at 4. But I can't put him ahead of Montana no matter what. Best pure QB to ever take a snap.

I mean, he has to be higher than top 4. If you want to argue Montana? Okay, that's an argument to have. If you want to argue Unitas? Okay, maybe? But it's hard to compare Unitas and modern QBs (same with Starr or Sammy Baugh).

He's at least next to Montana.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he did it without Belichick and without Edelman/Welker/Amendola really puts a dent into that argument.

I'm beginning to think Brady fucked your girl and you're still salty about it.

the play calling isn't much different than belichick, very similar, and his passing is still suspect outside the short/midrange.

belichick taught him well though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, he has to be higher than top 4. If you want to argue Montana? Okay, that's an argument to have. If you want to argue Unitas? Okay, maybe? But it's hard to compare Unitas and modern QBs (same with Starr or Sammy Baugh).

He's at least next to Montana.
Hard disagree. 4 is the highest I will give him. Montana, Marino, Unitas, and maybe even Manning are ahead of him in terms of the position itself. Obviously the most decorated of all time and a stat machine, but in a time where the QB is more protected than it's ever been (Tom Brady especially) and the passing game is more prevalent than it's ever been it's easy to rack up stats.

For example Philip Rivers just retired as 5th all time leader in passing yards I believe. Would you put him in the Top 5 all time discussion? Of course not. So the stats argument is nearly meaningless to me.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
the play calling isn't much different than belichick, very similar, and hes still suspect with outside the short/midrange.

belichick taught him well though.

lol, Arians runs a Coryell offense, which is wildly different than the WCO concepts that McDaniels runs.

at this point, I can tell you've never actually played football at a level higher than middle school if you can't see the difference in concepts just on an eye test.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
lol, Arians runs a Coryell offense, which is wildly different than the WCO concepts that McDaniels runs.

at this point, I can tell you've never actually played football at a level higher than middle school if you can't see the difference in concepts just on an eye test.

very little is different in what actually brings the results, and brady has the freedom to do his own thing.

still lots of reliance on short passes and the te. (occasion success with the long pass)

and plenty of interceptions.

Jun 10, 2018

Patriots actually employ a Erdhart-Perkins system (and have since Weis was there). Similar concept to WCO, albeit the verbage is significantly simpler and the formations are far far more versatile.

Erdhardt-Perkins is part of the reason why the Patriots offense was so ameoba-like. It's an offense with a core philosophy to adjust offensive approach without changing the base formation given how the defense looks and what situational factors you're facing.

You also need a highly intelligent QB to run it at proficient, high scoring level, which Brady did for many years. His production and mastery of it speaks highly of him as a QB.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Tom Brady has been the best NFL player of all time for a few years now.
Not even close. Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Emmett Smith are all ahead of him. Especially Jerry and Smith. Look at their stats and then look at the next closest player to them. They are head and shoulders above the rest. Meanwhile Brady is just barely skating by others at the position when it comes to yards and TDs.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i cant stand the dude, and he played like shit these past two weeks, but cant deny he helped them get over that hump and made them better.

fucking crazy how bad NE looks now while the friggin Buccs are hosting the bowl.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close. Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Emmett Smith are all ahead of him. Especially Jerry and Smith. Look at their stats and then look at the next closest player to them. They are head and shoulders about the rest. Meanwhile Brady is just barely skating by others at the position when it comes to yards and TDs.

nah qb is only position that matters apparently.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Not even close. Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Emmett Smith are all ahead of him. Especially Jerry and Smith. Look at their stats and then look at the next closest player to them. They are head and shoulders above the rest. Meanwhile Brady is just barely skating by others at the position when it comes to yards and TDs.

Barry Sanders is better than Smith. He just had the misfortune of playing for the Lions.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I gotta disagree here due to the importance of the QB position along with the combined accolades of Tom's stats and championships. Jerry Rice is the GOAT receiver and is certainly in the conversation though. Jim Brown absolutely was the GOAT in his heyday and Emmitt Smith is probably one of the last greats of the previous generation. They're all fantastic players but Tom, having the combined accolades of stats and championships in comparison to his peers relative to the importance of his position is tops for me.

I hate the guy but I respect what he's done.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
lmao GOAT of any sport? Get that shit outta here. Hes possibly the greatest QB but football is the most team oriented out of all sports so he wouldnt be anywhere close to what he is now without his very skilled teammates.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I gotta disagree here due to the importance of the QB position along with the combined accolades of Tom's stats and championships. Jerry Rice is the GOAT receiver and is certainly in the conversation though. Jim Brown absolutely was the GOAT in his heyday and Emmitt Smith is probably one of the last greats of the previous generation. They're all fantastic players but Tom, having the combined accolades of stats and championships in comparison to his peers relative to the importance of his position is tops for me.

I hate the guy but I respect what he's done.
We will have to agree to disagree. I can't in good conscience put a piece of shit like Brady in the same tier as a Jim Brown.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I mean, you mentioned how football was only relevant in one country. My argument is that it doesn't matter how popular a sport is, a GOAT is a GOAT
If you are talking about being the Goat in any sport, then yes, it means a lot. Being the best in a sport that some dozens of millions play is not the same as being the goat in a sport that a billion people play.

For example, Brady got to 10 Super Bowls, meaning 10 great seasons for him. Messi and Ronaldo were the 1st or 2nd best player in the world in 11 or 12 occasions... and soccer is a few orders of magnitude bigger than football. In my books there is no way Brady can be the GOAT of all sports.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
It's pretty funny to see people in this thread saying that rings don't matter and then ignore he will also probably have most of the qb records as well.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
If you are talking about being the Goat in any sport, then yes, it means a lot. Being the best in a sport that some dozens of millions play is not the same as being the goat in a sport that a billion people play.

For example, Brady got to 10 Super Bowls, meaning 10 great seasons for him. Messi and Ronaldo were the 1st or 2nd best player in the world in 11 or 12 occasions... and soccer is a few orders of magnitude bigger than football. In my books there is no way Brady can be the GOAT of all sports.

I agree Brady isn't the GOAT of all sports, but again, sport popularity shouldn't matter. If it does, then the GOAT of all sports is easily Tom Hardman.

Just because hockey isn't super popular in places other than the upper NA, the upper Europe, and Russia, doesn't diminish Gretzky's greatness.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
Greatest QB career of all time and one of the best ever.

Michael Jordan 90s reign has dumbed down sport discussions.
The best player won. So if you win... you are the best player.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and apparently rings are everything. Dan Marino will be sad to hear that Eli Manning was a better QB than him.

Would you be putting Montana ahead of Brady if not for the rings? What exactly does Montana do better than Brady, since you are talking about "skills"? Montana is not even better than Steve Young as an individual talent/player.