lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Actor Christopher Judge says gaming: "Used to be where you went when your career was over in front of camera."

Now the man who plays lead character Kratos in the newly released God of War, claims that perception is changing.

"Reading the script for the first time, I thought it was for a big A-List film," he tells Newsbeat.

"I'm sure my agents purposefully didn't tell me it was for a game because I'd been staunchly against doing them in the past," he says.

He tells us: "Now every actor I know is searching for a lead role in a game so that's how far the industry has come.

"Games are not just about the gameplay any more, but about the stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...ames-no-longer-where-actors-careers-go-to-die

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I thought this has been known for a while.

Hell, Judge's former co-star, Claudia Black, is Chloe in Uncharted and does a ton of other VG voice work.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
The medium has grown very well it caught the attention of the whole world. Famous people today wishes they play a part in a game and when they get offered the chance they don't reject it. Look at Mads and Norman Reedus for example, they're hyped about Death Stranding more than Kojima. Video Games will always be the best medium in the world, to me at least.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm really happy for his success. I even kinda marked out when he popped up in The Dark Knight Rises for a few minutes.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Looking forward to Teal'c talking about God of War in the Stargate SG-1 revival that exists in my dreams.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's awesome. I mean, when I think of the actors Call of Duty has gotten over the years and how Kojima went from experienced voice actors to people who were huge names in Hollywood like Kiefer Sutherland or Mads we really must say that games have come a very long way.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is the natural progression as gaming becomes more cinematic. The performances of the actors will be looked at in a much different light.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hated when animations became about their celebrity voice actors and i hate that [some] video games are now putting so much focus on their voice actors being some c-list actor. there are so many talented voice actors that have spent their entire careers in games and animation and now the top billing is going to go to actors.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
You dont like options ?
I do like it, but seems a game can't just be kiddy anymore or have story parts as a minor thing in big games. Everything needs to be this sentimental, story-heavy experience when we talk about AAA.
And generally, what I see is games suffering gameplay wise when the focus is so big on the story.

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All thanks Rockstar and Sony with their quality first party output. Nintendo and MS contribute way less than Sony in this regard.

Ubisoft and EA is doing ok I guess.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Single player 4Ever. A relief from all the stressful multiplayers out there.

I want to see a game directed by Christopher Nolan someday, and a big single player game with her

180227180607-jennifer-lawrence-amanpour-full-169.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree with it. Also, I don't like this obsession in being something really adult and serious that AAA videogames have turned.
I also wish we had more AAA games that had a different tone, but at the same time, if companies can really begin to nail the more serious direction I'd be all for it. I just haven't seen it happen in gaming much (if ever). Just might take some time to get there.

Oct 25, 2017
That's like your opinion, and you don't have to pick one or another. GoW combat is fucking phenomenal and the story is great.

Yeah, I have to agree that God of War is the worst possible thread subject to start the point about focus on story hurting gameplay.

This game is "gamey" as fuck. You'll spend hours and hours doing nothing but exploring and fighting, without a single cutscene, if you so desire.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I do like it, but seems a game can't just be kiddy anymore or have story parts as a minor thing in big games. Everything needs to be this sentimental, story-heavy experience when we talk about AAA.
And generally, what I see is games suffering gameplay wise when the focus is so big on the story.
I think we still get that in Japanese games. Super Mario Odyssey was just last year and we had Kirby Star Allies this month. I haven't played either, but I doubt they're all that serious.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What about nintendo tho

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
There're still companies like Nintendo or some of Ubisoft smaller games which are not really into sentimental, story-heavy experience. There's a game for everyone and no they're people who like both directions.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this kind of thinking. Gameplay and story are not independent. There's not the game part and the movie part. Gameplay should be fundamental to the narrative.
I don't think that's what he said...

I do wish gameplay and story were separate though. I like having the game part and then the movie part. That works a lot better in my mind.

It's not an expensive game, it didn't review well and it's like 5 hours long. It's definitely not on the same level as something like Odyssey (or even other Kirby games).

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What about nintendo tho
Yeah Nintendo kinda does it's own thing and it's great.
But as a guy that grew playing Playstation games too I wanted more things like Ratchet, PS1 Crash, PS1 Spyro etc. Even the older God of War, I used to like them, they were more game-y, imo, with all the platform sections.
A different tone would be great too. All last Sony big games feels similar in so many points. But well, this isn't the point of the thread so... yeah

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are taking his sentence out of context, lol.

I am more than positive he did not mean, "one or the other", but rather it is not just about the one thing, that the other can be built into it as well, with great success.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah Nintendo kinda does it's own thing and it's great.
But as a guy that grew playing Playstation games too I wanted more things like Ratchet, PS1 Crash, PS1 Spyro etc. Even the older God of War, I used to like them, they were more game-y, imo, with all the platform sections.
A different tone would be great too. All last Sony big games feels similar in so many points. But well, this isn't the point of the thread so... yeah
All the nintendo games fell samy too tbh cartoon visuals

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Where actors go to die?
tumblr_mi2xsqW8oO1qgf55to1_400.gif

He's great as Kratos, but plenty of decent actors have done work for games and still had a strong career.