• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You can tell where I am in the story, I said I'd just completed the side quest after finding it. ;)

Pretty sure the quest is given at a point in the story you can't skip, right? I don't remember exactly what the main quest was as I spent quite a while doing side stuff after.
Oh, do you mean the first quest Sindri gives you? Or one of the later ones...? Sorry, can't remember the others except for the first since I literally just played the first earlier. If it is the first, though, then you're quite early into the story then.
Jeezus christ this Sigrun fight is getting on my last nerve. playing on give me a challenge and while many fights where hard including the other valkryies I still felt they were fair, This shit is just straight up bullshit from the constant flying around losing track of her due to the shit camera, constant unblockable attack spamming bs, on top of high hp and high damage output despite being at lvl 8 with fully upgraded Valkyrie set with all epic enhancements and both weapons equipped with epic pommels, fully maxed out HP and rage meter along with a resurrect stone and i still can't beat this bitch. I refuse to lower the difficulty since i played through the entire game so far and won't lower just to beat one cheap ass boss.
Sigrun is 100% fair. I played on Give Me a Challenge at level 8 as well and never felt like she was too difficult, only that I needed to get used to her attacks a little bit. I knew all of them already, and so should anyone fighting her, since they're all the same (okay, there are minuscule variations) as the past 8 Valkyries' attacks. The camera isn't a problem as long as you pay attention to the threat indicator. When she zips out of the screen, she'll be doing her stomp grabs, so immediately dodge roll when you see it and be prepared to keep doing so as long as you see a red arrow on the threat indicator. If you don't see one, then that means she's stopped and is crouched down, open to an attack. The only unblockable attack I can remember ever being a problem is the aerial shockwave attack, which can easily be countered by throwing your axe at her or having Atreus fire arrows at her. Also, in case you're not yet using the berserker stone, you should use that one. Make sure you enter rage mode before you die so you don't waste the full rage meter it gives. Use Ratatoskr (squirrel summon) if you have to, just know that the equipped arrows result in different stones. Light for health, shock for rage.

May 3, 2018
Ok for real, what's up with the bullshit reskinned troll bosses all the time? Or the general lack of any enemy variety beyond palette swaps?

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this for the second or third time: this game desperately needs a command list where I can access all my activated moves. I don't play very regularly, and every time it takes me a bit to check for every activated skill and runic attack, across different buried menus.

I wouldn't also mind a better status menu where I can check most of the buffs from equipment in the same spot... Be it from sockets, talismans or pommels.

Long story short: I keep jumping around too much to wrap my head around my characters' current standing and making changes.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
So I have a question, how on earth do you reach the favors/sidequests easily? Do you have to physically travel to them after using the nearest warp gate? Because the in-game map is so hard to navigate with.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
So we are a month away from E3 more or less. Do we wish to take bets if God of War will do what Horizon did last year and announce DLC?

Pretty sure that no one would complain if they were to add onto the game somewhere. I know I would be all over anything they do if it is either opening a realm up or something as simple as NG+.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So we are a month away from E3 more or less. Do we wish to take bets if God of War will do what Horizon did last year and announce DLC?

Pretty sure that no one would complain if they were to add onto the game somewhere. I know I would be all over anything they do if it is either opening a realm up or something as simple as NG+.
Pretty sure there will not be DLC. Maybe a NG+ announced at E3 ?

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say the difficulty balance of this is really kind of frustrating I'm fighting against Magni and Modi, on the give me a challenge difficulty and half of their attacks are unavoidably aoe attacks, I dont understand how your supposed to play it.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
So I have a question, how on earth do you reach the favors/sidequests easily? Do you have to physically travel to them after using the nearest warp gate? Because the in-game map is so hard to navigate with.
Yup thats the only way. Track whatever favor/quest you want, use the mystic gateway to the nearest location and go from there

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Man, trying to 100% all the areas is a bitch. There's apparently a whole section of the Lake of Nine that I'm missing, including a gateway, but I've been all over that lake and I can't find a single inch of it that I haven't already been.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Man, trying to 100% all the areas is a bitch. There's apparently a whole section of the Lake of Nine that I'm missing, including a gateway, but I've been all over that lake and I can't find a single inch of it that I haven't already been.
If it's the same gate I was missing it's on the Isle of Death. Where you get to the lift things where you throw the axe to lower the platforms you can instead drop down a bit to find the gate. I had to look at a youtube video to find it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game last night. That was some ride, loved every bit of it!

Think I'll eventually go for the platinum.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Ok for real, what's up with the bullshit reskinned troll bosses all the time? Or the general lack of any enemy variety beyond palette swaps?

Enemy variety is fine for me, unlike Nioh the enemies are at least fun to kill and each variation behave differently, it's the boss variety that I have problem with, they could've at least give us some cool Nordic monsters as boss fights.

Maybe a Sea Serpent?

Sea_serpent.jpg

M1b6319a023794a9496e37bd573d25869.jpg

maybe a Mermaid encounter?

2mermaid13.jpg

Wyverns?

7820.jpg

Nuckelavee?

nuckelavee_by_vulpes_ibculta-dbpgvs3.jpg

Last edited:

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The in game map is atrocious. I mean it's fine when you're playing through the story, but using it to find sidequests and things to collect...it's insane. Why can't you zoom in to see your path? Why can't you easily see every area the map goes to like other games?

Who designed this?

Dec 9, 2017
So you had nothing to add but a pointless drive by shitpost?

Ok!
it's not a shitpost.
With all due respect, I don't think you have a very good grasp on what makes good voice delivery, or what "good" writing is.

The snob in me would have certainly directed some of the cutscenes scenes differently...but to say it's awful, is just ignorant. imo

I even went back to rewatch some of the interactions during cutscenes, to make sure I haven't lost my mind...I haven't. The cutscenes are directed brilliantly

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Open the map and look for any foggy area

Last edited:
May 3, 2018
Enemy variety is definitely not a problem in this game.

Come on. You fight reskinned trolls many many times. All with the same attacks. Multiple ancients, all with the same basic attack system in place, chest opens up and stuff comes out. Throw little bomb things then attack. Rinse and repeat. The same draugr over and over. The same floating eyeball things.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This game is just gorgeous.
Just got the
Blades of chaos
. It was a bit like the shadow Moses moment in mgs4.
I feel not much left until i reach the end, already starting to feel that emptiness that happens when you finish a game that really fills you. Last time i felt this was with TLoU.

I really find impressive how everything flows... I just find amusing and refreshing things like listening stories while going from a to b with the boat.
The bar is set really high for the upcoming first party high from WWS, and obviously for the sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say the difficulty balance of this is really kind of frustrating I'm fighting against Magni and Modi, on the give me a challenge difficulty and half of their attacks are unavoidably aoe attacks, I dont understand how your supposed to play it.
Channel your Bloodborne instincts and roll like your life depends on it or parry if you can.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Come on. You fight reskinned trolls many many times. All with the same attacks. Multiple ancients, all with the same basic attack system in place, chest opens up and stuff comes out. Throw little bomb things then attack. Rinse and repeat. The same draugr over and over. The same floating eyeball things.
The draugr alone have like 10 variations including the heavies, the dual weilders, the ones who explode, the regular sword and shield soldiers. There are travelers, ice enemies with variations.of their own, the dark elves with their own sub sets. Just look at the bestiary, it's packed.

Oct 25, 2017
Bump up the difficulty if you want to really see how each enemy type is different. If you don't have to pay much attention to win a fight then the enemies will seem more similar than they are.

I can't dispute that the enemy models are reused for many types but aesthetic variety is not as important as enemy behaviour variety IMO.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the ninth Valkyrie, then finished the story. All sidequests finished, all weapons maxed out, all skills learned.

All that I've got left is clearing out Niflheim and the second round of arena challenges.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the plat. The only time I was tempted to lower the difficulty from Hard was during that Valk fight in Musphelheim. Man, that got me angry. Sigrun was also hard but knowing all of the moves made it bearable. Plus all the grinding I did before helped. Everyone at SSM should be incredibly proud of what they made!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This game makes me so conflicted... The fight against 'The Stranger' was one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences i've had in years. I felt 10years younger during it lol, really awesome! But i'm not getting much enjoyment of the 'normal combat', puzzles or story now tbh. I've only played about 3-4 hours but i don't know how much more dulltime i can take between bosses. At least i hope there are more bosses, only met the one so far lol.

I'll give it a shake again tonight.

Honestly, it doesn't get "better" or rather more "epic." This slower, "dull" pace is literally the whole game. Do not expect to be having fights like "The Stranger" every 10 minutes or so, those are the anomaly not the norm. So, if you like this slower pace then you're in for a good time. If you're like me and was expecting something a bit more, you'll leave a bit disappointed.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
it's not a shitpost.
With all due respect, I don't think you have a very good grasp on what makes good voice delivery, or what "good" writing is.

The snob in me would have certainly directed some of the cutscenes scenes differently...but to say it's awful, is just ignorant. imo

I even went back to rewatch some of the interactions during cutscenes, to make sure I haven't lost my mind...I haven't. The cutscenes are directed brilliantly

When did I say awful?

Also opinions.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
So I started playing on a launch PS4 and stopped as soon as you get over the bridge in
Alfheim
, upgraded to a PS4 Pro because some games weren't launching anymore like Abzu and Observer.

I very very rarely noticed frame drops on my launch PS4, but it seems like I am seeing noticeable frame dips in combat on the Pro now.

A few things
Playing in 1080p, with prefer performance turned on

I am not particularly nitpicky about frame rate drops unless it's somewhat severe. This is pretty damn bad, which is shocking to me because on the regular PS4 I noticed a single drop this bad, but today on the Pro noticed no less then 5.

May 10, 2018
I definitely agree the game could have used more boss variation.

The troll fights could have been more interesting, especially
the Grendel fight in Tyr's temple

Nov 3, 2017
Enemy variety is fine for me, unlike Nioh the enemies are at least fun to kill and each variation behave differently, it's the boss variety that I have problem with, they could've at least give us some cool Nordic monsters as boss fights.

Maybe a Sea Serpent?

Sea_serpent.jpg

M1b6319a023794a9496e37bd573d25869.jpg

maybe a Mermaid encounter?

2mermaid13.jpg

Wyverns?

7820.jpg

Nuckelavee?

nuckelavee_by_vulpes_ibculta-dbpgvs3.jpg

While I agree there should've and could've been more boss fights just shoving shit in because you think it's cool vs fitting the narative is kinda cheeks

It'd add nicely to the sidequest stuff (hey you won, your prize is weird boss fight) but otherwise I quite enjoyed how tight it was with its cast

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree that the boss variety was a bit lacking. When the boss battles DID happen they were all generally pretty great (except some of the valkyries, fuck those jerks), but it seems like a lot of battles ended with a troll fight and...after a while it really became clear that troll fights really don't have any variation except the one special one. And even it wasn't that different.

That being said, it's a really solid foundation. Since we know there's going to be a sequel, I just hope they branch out the enemy and boss design a bit more in that one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Let the grind begins!

Oh, I'm not going back to Niff for a while. I actually had a really, really good run earlier - got TWO Fog Anchors back to back and about 6700 echoes. And then I got stuck on a buzzsaw and had to watch Kratos slowly die because my dodges didn't actually move me at all, causing me to lose all my progress.

For some reason it hurt more than your standard Dark Souls death because even the Anchors I picked up didn't carry over.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game and I was very pleased with it. It's rare I know so little about a game while playing it, I really had no idea where the story was going or how things would end.

I also loved how this seemed like both a great re-imagining of the GOW series, but also a AAA sequel to the Darksiders games. It's got the fun puzzle solving and optional challenges, fast travel "corridors", loot, augmentable abilities, kinda similar magic/ability upgrade system.

I pretty much had no interest in a new GOW game, but this completely brought back my interest in the series. I look at GOW's tragectory similar to how the Halo series went. Loved the OG trilogy (Halo1-3 and GOW 1-3) and even some of the side games (PSP GOWs and Halo ODST), but both series' kinda lost me with their big Prequel games (Ascension and Reach).

Halo unfortunately totally lost me with its first attempt to reinvigorate the series (Halo 4), but GOW thankfully knocked it out of the park. It did just enough similar to the old GOW games (fun gameplay, awesome sense of scale, fun puzzles to break up the combat), but brought in so much new stuff that it didn't just feel like a retread (all new enemies and locations, total rehaul of the gameplay, total new direction to take the story in).

Cannot WAIT to wee what comes from sequel to this.

Oct 27, 2017
I am not particularly nitpicky about frame rate drops unless it's somewhat severe. This is pretty damn bad, which is shocking to me because on the regular PS4 I noticed a single drop this bad, but today on the Pro noticed no less then 5.
Thats because before you were playing with the fps locked at 30. Performance mode unlocks the fps and it fluctuates between 35-60. If you want stable performance you should choose resolution mode. It locks the fps at 30 again, with no dips.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So as someone who never played the other God of War games before this, were there really that many more boss battles with variety in the other games? It just seems like this game got a pass by the reviewers if that is the case, as it would be going pretty strongly away from something present in the rest of the series from what I thought others have said before. I guess that the game was pretty fun or even epic at times (Stranger fight was by far the highlight), but the numerous fights with trolls and ancients were pretty lame.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only negative for me personally is the voice acting. The cast, sans Kratos should have been voiced by norther European accents, like the show Vikings. Freya with an American accent etc. really didn't gel for me.