Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Question: do we ever get an explanation for why the mask lead us to Garm if a mask piece was nowhere in the realm?

Because I don't remember getting one. Like, I know the mask is supposed to be hard to understand, but this feels like they originally wrote it to be inside Garm, which would mean atreus would find it with Kratos next level, but at some point changed their minds and wanted atreus to have one last mission with Thor, but didn't have time to go back and give an explanation for why the mask pointed him there.

FordPrefect42

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 7, 2022
Question: do we ever get an explanation for why the mask lead us to Garm if a mask piece was nowhere in the realm?

Because I don't remember getting one. Like, I know the mask is supposed to be hard to understand, but this feels like they originally wrote it to be inside Garm, which would mean atreus would find it with Kratos next level, but at some point changed their minds and wanted atreus to have one last mission with Thor, but didn't have time to go back and give an explanation for why the mask pointed him there.

There is no explanation that I'm aware of.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Nope, and that was interesting.

My speculation is that Garm/Fenrir is connected to it because of his ability of opening portals between the realms, and that he might be able to access that gap where the mask got sucked into.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You call it interesting, I call it lazy writing.
It's not even lazy really, it's poorly edited. I think that Garm just had to have eaten the mask piece in an earlier draft, and we were supposed to find it, but then they changed it, but either didn't have time or couldn't think of an alternative reason why the mask would lead us to him, so they just left it in. I can't think of another plausible explanation here.

The more I replay parts of the game, the more I see what I feel is evidence of massive rewrites that broke the games logic. Like it really feels like Faye had an active role in the plot as a dream spirit or ghost or whatever. But at some point they decided to not have her, so her dream sequences are actually just flashbacks. But then the very first one has her freak Kratos out and Kratos even says that that was more than a dream... But then it never happens again so it actually was just a dream.

But some parts are borderline incomprehensible for why they happen. Like, Loki frees Garm because the mask was leading him there and also no one told him that the big doggo could rip dimensions apart. Odin comes in to hear his side of the story, which atreus should be able explain what made it seem like a good idea, but then he just doesn't and acts like he fucked up for no good reason. I can't tell whether it's because they didn't want to construct a situation where atreus actually makes a real mistake, or whether they're just sloppy that they wanted this to be the scene where atreus goes home, and didn't care how it happened.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, it is a complex, but that's why I am trying to take the framing of "Jotnars are just another mythical being" out, because in order to understand them properly, you have to account for norse cultural values.

This discussion, as I understand it, came out from me saying that the Jotnar was basically monsters in the stories being told. They were, but they were monsters through a Ancient Norse Cultural lens, which is where the complications come in. My point being is that they didn't view monstrosity the same way we do, the slaughters of people were a normal part of their life and they didn't have huge compunctions about villainizing their enemies. That's why I say the Jotnar were monster - because they were written as cosmic antagonists not just of the Aesir but of humanity. That they were also intelligent beings who weren't always chaotically evil does not matter to them the same way it might to us.

You don't have to reply, but just so we're clear my understanding of your objection here is you denying that they were the monsters of the story of the Norse people because they were humanized as individual beings. But what I am trying to communicate is that in Norse stories, humanity in monsters didn't stop them from being other, outside the tribe, and where the norse took delight in hearing stories of Thor slaughtering them, even if they did nothing wrong by our standards. That's what makes myths fascinating, because it's not just what happens, but what it meant to ancient people long ago.

This is compared to the GoW interpretation that, besides being altered on what actually happened, was alterned on meaning. Where the genocide that Odin committed is framed as being bad in the game, Odin aggression would have been viewed either as a good thing by the norse, for protecting his tribe, or else problematic because it disrupts the cosmic nature of the universe, but not bad because the giants were individual people who had a right to live. And it's in this way that Odin of the games is villainized, both because stories are changed, but even where they are true to the myths, the meaning is changed. And it results in a character that is very one dimensional, whereas I preferred him more ambigous or unsettling as in the myths.
My objection is that the big thing with it all is the Jotnar will also be considered gods by the Norse if they marry to a Aesir or a Vanir God, so it's not some big they are definitely the monsters type thing and they are all basically one big family due to how much that happens and how much the Aesir, Vanir and Jotnar sleep around in the myths (also stuff like Odin himself being a direct descendant of Ymir), it's why it's a very tragic story when you don't actually separate the Jotnar from the other gods. It's basically just a big fucked up family constantly killing each other, to the point they destroy the world.

God of Wars take is a lot different than this too, but they definitely made the right choice not just making the Jotnar the baddies like Almost every new take on the myth does, because the Aesir and the more famous gods. They probably go a little too hard in framing Odin as that, but they don't really need to try hard as a lot of the myths aren't that different to the actual myths.

I don't mind talking more about this, it's a fascinating topic, that you can also learn more about and we've stank up the thread so no point stopping now I guess.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
My objection is that the big thing with it all is the Jotnar will also be considered gods by the Norse if they marry to a Aesir or a Vanir God, so it's not some big they are definitely the monsters type thing and they are all basically one big family due to how much that happens and how much the Aesir, Vanir and Jotnar sleep around in the myths (also stuff like Odin himself being a direct descendant of Ymir), it's why it's a very tragic story when you don't actually separate the Jotnar from the other gods. It's basically just a big fucked up family constantly killing each other, to the point they destroy the world.

God of Wars take is a lot different than this too, but they definitely made the right choice not just making the Jotnar the baddies like Almost every new take on the myth does, because the Aesir and the more famous gods. They probably go a little too hard in framing Odin as that, but they don't really need to try hard as a lot of the myths aren't that different to the actual myths.

I don't mind talking more about this, it's a fascinating topic, that you can also learn more about and we've stank up the thread so no point stopping now I guess.
Yeah, I wasn't saying the Jotnar should be baddies. But them being the antagonists in the original myths and their linguistic roots suggest that they were anti-humanity to an extent that made them atleast humanity's natural enemies within the mythological stories.

But what we got is they largely just flips the roles around, where the Aesir are the unequivical baddies while the Jotnar basically have not a single bad bone in any of their bodies. We still have a binaristic morality tale where everything basically always comes down to the Aesir's fault, particularly Odin's. And I do think that is a significant deviation because in the ancient Norse people's eyes, it's less that any one person was bad, and moreso that the world they lived in was inherently hostile and there was no sense in trying to assign blame and guilt the way our modern world does.

I just think there should have been some element of the Jotnar's roots of being destroyer entities. Again, not evil, but some part where they are at odds with earth as a whole on a cosmic scale. That would let Odin be able to be antagonististic towards the giants without having to be written as the most evil dude ever, and we could get some actual moral nuance while being actually true to the myths spirit, not just the events that happened.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't saying the Jotnar should be baddies. But them being the antagonists in the original myths and their linguistic roots suggest that they were anti-humanity to an extent that made them atleast humanity's natural enemies within the mythological stories.

But what we got is they largely just flips the roles around, where the Aesir are the unequivical baddies while the Jotnar basically have not a single bad bone in any of their bodies. We still have a binaristic morality tale where everything basically always comes down to the Aesir's fault, particularly Odin's. And I do think that is a significant deviation because in the ancient Norse people's eyes, it's less that any one person was bad, and moreso that the world they lived in was inherently hostile and there was no sense in trying to assign blame and guilt the way our modern world does.

I just think there should have been some element of the Jotnar's roots of being destroyer entities. Again, not evil, but some part where they are at odds with earth as a whole on a cosmic scale. That would let Odin be able to be antagonististic towards the giants without having to be written as the most evil dude ever, and we could get some actual moral nuance while being actually true to the myths spirit, not just the events that happened.
I think the games do enough to say it's not just the Aesir but specifically Odin and his henchmen that are bad. Like Tyr is portrayed as a paragon of good. And the Jotnar are just largely gone, not much to tell and everything we are told is mostly through their perspective, which like the Norse do for them, they will paint the Aesir as a lot more evil than they probably are. It flips it on its head and commits to it fully. While (pretty fantastically imo) writes around completely changing Loki, which outside of Kratos is probably my favourite writing in the games.

Also I believe it more "Devourers" than it is destroyers, but we don't really know what they devoured. Could be humans I guess (know it's definitely a take on it).

KharijTheDog

Sep 23, 2022
I'm absolutely shocked for the ending. After the first game I would never ever guessed the finale would be this kind of generic, mediocre showing that we saw, played hundreds of times before. Bad guy shows up and dies , everyone survives.

It's undercooked, it is full of shockingly uninteresting and out of place soap opera (Sif-Thrud, Thor-Odin, Freya-Odin), It has literally ZERO surprising scene about norse mythology or God of War games. Bunch of scenes that people shows up nowhere and finalize their act without any proper character building or an unforgettable scene.

I totally understand their decision about making this a two game story for it would take many years, but the Ragnarok part just critically hurt all the first game's mystery, tension build, prophecy or connection with older games. I mean in just 30 minutes all the elves are united, noone came from the dwarfs, Surtr decided to help, army of the dead came to fight etc etc.

This will go down as a major major disappointment from my perspective in storytelling part.
Harsh, but I honestly have to agree. I went into this game with zero expectations and an open mind (considering I'm quite new to the Norse Saga of the franchise), but walked away feeling "Eh." after I spent some time to internalize everything especially after the credits rolled.

Like, there's scenes where the emotional climax feels unearned or premature; characters would rapidly shift from being friendly to antagonistic or vice versa while some subsections of big sections broadly felt like filler. The game is long not because it has a lot to say, but because it spends too much time on story beats that should've been sidequests.

It's weird because—to me at least—Ragnarok hyped itself to be something big, yet overall felt like it had too many cooks in the kitchen story-wise to what is basically a safe sequel that greatly suffers from head-scratching tonal shifts where in totality is a jarring experience.

ebinc

Banned
Nov 14, 2022
They likely messed up something in terms of balance, because it makes no sense for the spears to do so much damage with the asgard enchantment set considering how fast and easy it is to use them. Same for the hunter armor chest buff affecting the detonation of the spears and not just the throw.
I was playing with this build earlier and found out that if you don't have a Midgard enchantment equipped, your spear detonation basically does half the damage it does with a Midgard enchantment equipped. Even if your cooldown is higher without the Midgard enchantment, you still do less damage. Maybe it's bugged and this is the intended damage.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game after 41 hours yesterday and I am so conflicted about it.

The father-son story in Ragnarok is absolutely perfected. I didn't know how they would continue the relationship between Kratos and Atreus after the beautiful ending of GoW 2018, but they managed to build upon that and deliver a deeply moving, realistic story that both develops Kratos and Atreus characters individually but also as a father and son. I teared up at every one of those emotional beats. It might have something to do with the fact that my dad passed away this year, but yeah this part absolutely resonated with me and it ended perfectly.

On the other hand, the story feels uneven, the pacing all over the place, the game branches off into unnecessary side paths that to me felt like padding (riding Jalla for the third time, exterminating the nest, getting misled by the Norns twice, etc.) even though this game is already LONG. And then suddenly the story goes into the fifth gear and speedruns towards the end.

Knowing a bit of Norse mythology, I was so psyched to find Gorm and I was speculating how this would tie to Odin. I thought maybe Odin had Gorm chained up because he foresaw himself getting eaten by a giant wolf. He lures Atreus towards Gorm with the mask piece, fully intending Atreus to free the wolf, and then gets upset at him so that he will run back to Kratos, and they will kill the wolf together, eliminating his death scenario. But instead, Atreus puts Fenrirs soul inside Gorm. I was so sure that Odin did not expect that to happen, and that Fenrir would play a big part at Ragnarok, possibly even killing Odin like in the mythology.

But instead, no explanation is offered as to why the mask was leading Atreus towards Gorm (why did the mask react, if it was a mistranslation?), and Fenrir is revived and then cast aside again, only to pop up once in the final battle with Angrboda.

I am convinced that the story went through multiple rewrites because so many things happen in the last half that go unexplained. I loved how Atreus put the soul of the Giant into the snake with Angrboda, as it's a clever way of making them the "parents" of Jörmungandr (the same goes for how he adopts Fenrir with her), but then Thor smashes the snake into the past in a background animation, with no explanation given how that is even possible. The truce between the Elves, something the game has been building towards since 2018, happens off-screen and within a manner of minutes. Surtr just stands at the gates of Asgard being awkward.

The raid on Asgard was definitely epic, and I kept thinking that this is what I wanted from Mass Effect 3, but ultimately it was hastily written and if you look back and think about it, a lot of it just doesn't make sense?

I also kinda hated the little Atreus victory lap, and found the transition from the battleground to waking up really weird (as well as Freyr's sacrifice which was so random?). At first I thought it was a dream or an illusion or something when Atreus woke up.

But to end on a more positive note: there's also so much stuff to love. I am heartbroken for Sindri and I find his spiraling well written and I was relieved that he didn't just magically forgive Atreus at the end. The Tyr reveal was well played, because there were so many hints, and yet I didn't see it coming. The optional areas of the game are fantastic and I love how their stories helped develop the character further. There's just so much great stuff packed into this game. But simultaneously, also a lot of questionable stuff.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I was playing with this build earlier and found out that if you don't have a Midgard enchantment equipped, your spear detonation basically does half the damage it does with a Midgard enchantment equipped. Even if your cooldown is higher without the Midgard enchantment, you still do less damage. Maybe it's bugged and this is the intended damage.

I did notice something was off when testing different enchantments, but never realized that was what made the difference.

Also when you have two enchantment sets equipped (like Asgard for triangle attacks and Midgard for ranged) the triangle damage is considerably lower compared to just having the Asgard set on, despite a similar cooldown value.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
getting misled by the Norns twice

I read your whole post and agree with most of what you said, but regaring this specific point, the objective here was to make sure you didn't miss the Berserkers and Sigrun side-quests. I had already done Sigrun side-quest at that point, but for the people that focus on the main quest, it's a nice way of leading them to the important optional content (like in Vanaheim when Atreus tells you to follow the dog).

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Overall I liked the side quests in the whole game, but whoever said they were better than W3,

yeah going in i was like theese must be so much better than the first game, but no they are about a similar level, maybe a bunch of people just forgot the first game had great side quests and areas.

oh a really minor thing, i love that the starting set of armour gets super powerful at level 7+, no perks but if u just want all round high stats it's been my pick so far especially since a lot of the armour perks haven't stuck to me as hard as some of the first games sets... maybe because the first game had a couple pretty overpowered options.

ebinc

Banned
Nov 14, 2022
Also when you have two enchantment sets equipped (like Asgard for triangle attacks and Midgard for ranged) the triangle damage is considerably lower compared to just having the Asgard set on, despite a similar cooldown value.
I noticed that as well. Asgard + Midgard set, Midgard set only, and Asgard set without a Midgard enchantment all did similar damage.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah. The Valkyrie Queen fight is so poorly designed it's not even funny. She just does whatever, there is almost zero pattern to her moves and most of her moves have tells that are exactly the same.

So she summons the bifrost from the air and then jumps away. She can at this point... Throw her blades as an unblockable, jump towards you with an unblockable or just towards you with a normal hit.

However two of those have the exact same animations. So you think, "Oh, I'll just dodge it", but the speed of which goes at you is literally less than a second. It's simply too fast for most players to react and so it's a basically a guaranteed hit unless you get super lucky with a dodge. But then the biggest thing is also some of the weirdest things. Like she has the whole: "Hit her with sonic arrow or runic arrow" thing going on. I hit her when she was in the air with a sonic arrow, 3 times, and it just decided to not work and she hit me.

Not to mention again she has unblockables and normals that look identical to one another. It just doesn't feel fair at all.

Or the amount of times the game will just let her slid over to hit you in the most jankiest looking way possible.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Harsh, but I honestly have to agree. I went into this game with zero expectations and an open mind (considering I'm quite new to the Norse Saga of the franchise), but walked away feeling "Eh." after I spent some time to internalize everything especially after the credits rolled.

Like, there's scenes where the emotional climax feels unearned or premature; characters would rapidly shift from being friendly to antagonistic or vice versa while some subsections of big sections broadly felt like filler. The game is long not because it has a lot to say, but because it spends too much time on story beats that should've been sidequests.

It's weird because—to me at least—Ragnarok hyped itself to be something big, yet overall felt like it had too many cooks in the kitchen story-wise to what is basically a safe sequel that greatly suffers from head-scratching tonal shifts where in totality is a jarring experience.
it's a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. Last of us 2 is a real let's fuck things up sequel and look at the reaction that got

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really wanted to fight Ragnarok as the final boss too. Would have matched Chronos in size and scale for an epic final battle.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So the prisoners were kept alive because Odin supposedly needs them alive in order to shapeshift into them.

So obviously we know about Tyr, the gardener prisoner must be that dwarve that spat over the bridge, but then which elf was Odin?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
yeah going in i was like theese must be so much better than the first game, but no they are about a similar level, maybe a bunch of people just forgot the first game had great side quests and areas.

100%, the side quests in the first game were pretty limited in scope but all pretty high quality. I thought the quality this time around was actually a lot more variable. Higher highs, lower lows

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
it's a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. Last of us 2 is a real let's fuck things up sequel and look at the reaction that got
It's more that different people value and look for different things. In the case of Last of Us, there were a lot of people who wanted Part II to just be a replay of Part I, but bigger. Another cross country adventure with Joel and Ellie, playing up the father-daughter relationship, a couple call backs to the older game, definitely more pun humor, more uncomplicatedly evil bad guys like David, etc were all left in the cold. But honestly, that game would be easy to make. I mean, all games are difficult to make, but it would atleast be emotionally easy and a certain crowd pleaser who just wanted more of what the last game served them.

The problem with that perspective is that view is taking videogames as more taking as product and less as art, atleast imo. Art is meant to challenge and make you uncomfortable at times, and while obviously that's not the only response meant for it to evoke, it is usually an interesting one.

GOW:R is the kind of game that I think a lot of people wanted TLoU2 to be. In fact, if joel and ellie had just gone on another adventure, I would assume they'd have the exact same conflict Kratos and atreus have now, where Joel would be overprotective and Ellie would be itching to go off on her own.

Personally, I wish Ragnarok had ended up being more like the actual part 2 we got than one people imagined.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
That's where I thought they were going with it. Not wanting Ragnarok to obliterate all the innocent people in Asgard just to get to Odin.

The funny thing is what did Ragnarok even do in the end it basically just killed freyr, I guess it was a backup but they didn't need it too breach the wall or kill Odin or anything.

If they just sounded the horn without sutur it would have went better and Asgard would still exist though I guess they can't have known that.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today.
Despite some of shortcomings i absolutely loved this game. It was a great journey with a satisfying conclusion in regards to Kratos. To me the Game is better in nearly every regard to GOW 2018. The enemy variety, breathing more life into the world with grander locations and new characters, the boss fights, the semi-open world (with the expection of one realm), the side quests and variety of mission structures.

now to the shortcomings:
- Ragnarok absolutely felt rushed. You had this epic last section, the beginning of the war only to see Kratos change his mind after what felt like 10 Minutes? Whereas you had other story sections that were 2-4 hours long, longer than necessary.
- Asgard was a little underwhelming in terms of their force...they had like what, 3 gods on their side? Didn't really feel the threat coming from them to be fair.
- The dialogue. Odin and especially Thrudd talked like modern people, which felt out of place...Calling freya your ex?
- Important story beats for Ragnarok felt undercooked (Sköll and Hati, Jörmungander Fight vs Thor, Surtr as Ragnarok)

It wasn't the Ragnarok i expected and imo the decision to cut the trilogy to a doulogy probably led to this but it was a great adventure for Kratos, Atreus, Brok, Sindri and Freya.

My highlights were the Rescue mission for Freyr and the first Kratos vs Thor Fight.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Finished the game now,
I managed to hold back the tears when Atreus says goodbye
But Kratos finding out that Faye's actual plan was him getting redeemed and becoming a inspiring god broke me

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, a thought occurs as I'm watching Marz do her playthrough. While we were off doing our own thing in other realms, were Speki & Svanna surviving off the corpse off that deer from the very beginning of the game that Atreus was carrying? After Atreus returned from Iron Wood I noticed an animal skeleton with a bit of meat left on it near them.

Now I'm wondering if you came back to them earlier after any adventures if you'd see the deer in various stages of being eaten. I'm just speculating, but that'd be a really nice touch if that's what they did.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
So yeah. The Valkyrie Queen fight is so poorly designed it's not even funny. She just does whatever, there is almost zero pattern to her moves and most of her moves have tells that are exactly the same.

So she summons the bifrost from the air and then jumps away. She can at this point... Throw her blades as an unblockable, jump towards you with an unblockable or just towards you with a normal hit.

However two of those have the exact same animations. So you think, "Oh, I'll just dodge it", but the speed of which goes at you is literally less than a second. It's simply too fast for most players to react and so it's a basically a guaranteed hit unless you get super lucky with a dodge. But then the biggest thing is also some of the weirdest things. Like she has the whole: "Hit her with sonic arrow or runic arrow" thing going on. I hit her when she was in the air with a sonic arrow, 3 times, and it just decided to not work and she hit me.

Not to mention again she has unblockables and normals that look identical to one another. It just doesn't feel fair at all.

Or the amount of times the game will just let her slid over to hit you in the most jankiest looking way possible.
It was def a bit tough especially after getting down the patterns of all the Berserkers and then you have a Valkyrie with a similar move set but moves way different.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
Finished the game now,
I managed to hold back the tears when Atreus says goodbye
But Kratos finding out that Faye's actual plan was him getting redeemed and becoming a inspiring god broke me
If was great to see especially with Odin's shit talk to Kratos earlier in the game about him not knowing what it is to be a god and not knowing that kind of love. The tears were def flowing, and after Brok's funeral the first song in the ending credits hit hard

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I finished the main story. The Kratos and Atreus relationship was well realized but the rest of it was a mess imo. The way they pace gameplay and story beats is also some of the worse pacing I've seen in a while. I dunno. I don't see the 10s here. I still enjoyed my time and the combat is pretty good even if it has issues so it's still a good 8. I still have side content to go so looking forward to that !

Oct 26, 2017
How Kratos describes Deimos in this game is really strange.

View: https://youtu.be/J8DHwuTLszw?t=581

The plot of Ghost of Sparta was that Deimos is mad at Kratos for not protecting him from Ares when they were children (Deimos is a very badly written character, lol), but Deimos is pretty friendly with Kratos by the end of the game.

View: https://youtu.be/t-fPL13ULqw?t=74

"It was too late for amends" I mean, he seemed perfectly cheerful with you before the final boss, lol.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
So I finished the main story. The Kratos and Atreus relationship was well realized but the rest of it was a mess imo. The way they pace gameplay and story beats is also some of the worse pacing I've seen in a while. I dunno. I don't see the 10s here. I still enjoyed my time and the combat is pretty good even if it has issues so it's still a good 8. I still have side content to go so looking forward to that !

Yeah this is where I was at when I finished it. Even the Kratos/Atreus stuff was not quite where I wanted it to be. I just didn't buy into the "I can't explain why but I just need to do this alone" rationale when Atreus left. Felt like a bit of a shortcut and something that Kratos would have pushed back on any other time. Obviously part of the story was them growing their trust etc - but even so, I'm not sure they really gave enough weight to that decision. It's basically no trust > some trust > end of the world > and then "son you are ready" 5 minutes after he woke up from near death? Could have fleshed it out a bit more before that moment.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017

The attacks that are too fast to react to are telegraphed earlier, usually. Like her dash that turns into a punch or spin is telegraphed by dashing right or left, respectively.

The sonic thing just requires you to wait long enough. If you spam it as soon as you know it's happening, you're too early.

Guggzs

Apr 6, 2022
I don't understand how it took me over an hour to kill King Hrólf but less than 15 minutes to kill Gná. I had appropriate builds for both too!

Glad that's done, I just need to get 2 more collectibles and I've got the Platinum! What an experience.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
For all the "pacing" problems some mentioned, and while I understand it like in Ironwood, I actually don't mind it at all & in fact enjoying it.

Way much enjoyable than A Thief's End for me.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For all the "pacing" problems some mentioned, and while I understand it like in Ironwood, I actually don't mind it at all & in fact enjoying it.

Way much enjoyable than A Thief's End for me.
Both are brilliant in my opinion. Just going from one big epic setpiece to another would get so tiresome in such a big game.
Ironwood is actually one of my favourite parts in the game

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Gna's journal...she went hard in the paint. Bitter AF.

Best fight in the game, great challenge that constantly keeps you on your toes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man we've come ALONGGGGG WAYYY in terms of custscene direction, voice acting and staging.
The fact that some people genuinely believe that the one take and acting direction is bad is just utterly baffling. Like we went from literal jank outside of action sequences to some of the best cinematography you can find in gaming ALONG with some of the most ambitious technical achievements because the way GoW and Ragnarok transition from gameplay to cinematics and vice versa is an insane technical challenge.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Hmm, a thought occurs as I'm watching Marz do her playthrough. While we were off doing our own thing in other realms, were Speki & Svanna surviving off the corpse off that deer from the very beginning of the game that Atreus was carrying? After Atreus returned from Iron Wood I noticed an animal skeleton with a bit of meat left on it near them.

Now I'm wondering if you came back to them earlier after any adventures if you'd see the deer in various stages of being eaten. I'm just speculating, but that'd be a really nice touch if that's what they did.

Could be wrong, but I noticed the carcass every time and it was always in the same state.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Put me down as someone that got got by the Odin-Tyr twist.

Was not expecting that at all, though makes total sense when thought back on.