• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
When has Sony given a milestone for GT Sport? I mean a press statement like inFAMOUS SS, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn or God Of War? I didn't say they were hiding all data.

They didn't.

And they likely won't ever. Part and parcel of PR message is showcasing your success. It's presumably why Horizon's PR waited to get 2 weeks worth of sales, instead of doing first-week sales because 2 weeks would demonstrate a comparable metric to U4's first week.

GT Sport, presumably didn't get a big launch out-the-gate compared to the more front-loaded titles. And chances are sales were not better than historical GT heights. That means that on a metric-by-metric basis, GT Sport's sales would showcase an inferior PR position compared to other PR messaging.

Put it this way. if GOW2 opened at 3 million instead of 3.1 million in the first 3 days next time round, Sony might actually choose to not do a PR release on GOW2's sales, because it didn't "do better" than GOW's PR.

Even though 3mil sales is still bloody huge.

That's how PR works. You build your case to have the biggest messaging of success in the best metric possible.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
A great GT can still do great sales. Too bad we may never see one again. Maybe not 10 million, but but 5 to 7 million is realistic. GT6 did over 5 million despite still being a disappointment. GT Sport might not even do 3 million, but who knows as Sony hasn't given any milestones which is telling enough.

GT Sport will easily do over 5 million over its lifetime. GT games have great legs. Wait till they release a complete edition with all DLC etc

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Sorry for derailing,but what i find fascinating is how Forza became de facto largest franchise for MS,i'd say even bigger and more important saleswise then Gears or even Halo.
On the other side,GT that dominated without competition in PS1 and PS2 days,except maybe GTA,slowly but surely fading away in PS universe...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for derailing,but what i find fascinating is how Forza became de facto largest franchise for MS,i'd say even bigger and more important saleswise then Gears or even Halo.
On the other side,GT that dominated without competition in PS1 and PS2 days,except maybe GTA,slowly but surely fading away in PS universe...
GT only looks poor by it's own standards, compared to other Sim Racers it still sells much better than almost everything. The genre is just super dead.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah,racing and fighting games too...last Street fighter was huge flop,if i remember well?
Only really Capcom's fighters are struggling, almost every other fighting game as done well. MKX did especially well for example, I think it might even be the best selling MK ever at this point.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
A great GT can still do great sales. Too bad we may never see one again. Maybe not 10 million, but but 5 to 7 million is realistic. GT6 did over 5 million despite still being a disappointment. GT Sport might not even do 3 million, but who knows as Sony hasn't given any milestones which is telling enough.

GTS is up at around 4m profiles from ethomaz's thread on playercount.

OP is up to date ;)

• Total profiles: 4,792,514
  • Total GTS profiles: 4,088,249
  • Total Beta only profiles: 704,265

Last edited:

Ludens

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Nah GT is still selling more then the other sim racers like Forza. Its just that the genre is not as populer anymore.