Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
*sees reviews*

200.gif

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers were fantastic so 'll be seeing this regardless of the reviews. I'm in for whatever stupid shit the people are getting up to while giant monsters are beating the shit out of eachother using the planet as boxing ring.

Skull Island straight up worse than the Emmerich Godzilla movie tbh.

2387.jpg

Pass me whatever your smoking.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just in it for the my classic kaiju coming to the Hollywood big screen. I ain't never expected anything compelling coming from the rest of it. Ain't no Legendary Godzilla film gonna be a masterclass like Shin Godzilla.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Sigh. Well that explains the late review embargo. Seems like the movie is a very incoherent mess all around but there are lots of fights at the least for fans who just want to see that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Them trailers had me fooled. Snyder'd.
What were you expecting besides large scale monster action from those trailers? Some deep plot?

Monsters are real, one of them will end civilization, only one could stand up to them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if it was sitting at 95% people already have their minds made up about any kaiju movies not named jurrasic park

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Damn some of those reviews aren't just negative they're out right scathing. Some of them are calling it out right trash and it seems like many were not exactly enjoying their time with the film even if they didn't hate it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There are 11 reviews there.
Actual contemporary reviews of it said
The review praised the monsters design in the film and opined that the "ineffectual attempts to bring him to a halt are cleverly and spectacularly staged. Unfortunately, nothing else quite matches the special effects", noting a plot that was "ridiculous" and acting that was "lamentable
Variety commented that the film was a "Japanese sci-fi long on special effects but lacks appeal for general trade", and that "inspite of the slick production, the story and acting don't offer enough to attract large general audiences."[10] The review commented that "virtually all-Japanese cast, with unfamiliar faces and broad emoting typical of such Japanese pics, also detracts from general appeal."

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
incoherent action scenes being a main complaint is a huge bummer tho. if the human element is nonexistent at least make the Kaiju action awesome. if they couldn't even do that then what the hell is the point of this

Oct 28, 2017
I'll watch it for myself but critics seem to not be a fans of this one compared to 2014.

I love Dougherty's other two movies so this can't be all that bad.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Oof. That's why WB didn't move up the review embargo. Hopefully the WOM is better than the critical reception.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
That's one modern example. No way the older and sillier (and better) films would have gotten good reviews
Nor should most of them. There is a pleasure in the silly ones, but they aren't great. But then there are Godzilla films that are truly great with good characters and compelling stories. I'm thinking Godzilla '54, Godzilla vs Destroyah, Shin Godzilla. I like the bad ones, I love the great ones. I also really appreciated '14 for the coherent spectacle and the restraint that amplified it. This one apparently mostly being bullshit on multiple fronts, outside of some poster worthy frames, is a shame.

Oct 25, 2017
Woof I let the trailers hype me up too much. Godzilla movies are really cursed by good trailers and mediocre films.

Glad I caught wind of some the negativity to temper my expectations. I hope the franchise can recover after this....

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh at some of those reviews.

If Godzilla and the other monsters talked and had characters, this would basically be another Transformers movie.

This is a giant monster rumble wrestling match and that's what we're paying to see.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Nor should most of them. There is a pleasure in the silly ones, but they aren't great. But then there are Godzilla films that are truly great with good characters and compelling stories. I'm thinking Godzilla '54, Godzilla vs Destroyah, Shin Godzilla. I like the bad ones, I love the great ones. I also really appreciated '14 for the spectacle and the restraint that amplified it. This one apparently mostly being bullshit is a shame.
I'm not saying they should but when I'm watching Godzilla King Kong I'm watching for the silliness. They have there own value beyond good reviews