Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Washington DC was already flooded out, so I can assume that there was another similar tempt from Ghidorah in the past. Who knows.
Atlantis was in the hollow earth thing they had going on in this movie, so that's quite a move. But hey, maybe hollow earth was accessible at that point but the entrance was flooded by a cataclysmic fight in which the surface of the Earth was vastly altered. I'll go with that option.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this earlier today.

90% of this movie consists of people standing around talking in a control room. 5% is focused on monster action, the other 5% focuses on reaction shots of the characters witnessing the action.

It's not a movie I will watch again.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Random side note. I thought it was funny that insane evil scientist lady had a power point presentation ready when she called up Monarch, to help demonstrate why she needed to commit global mass murder and destruction.

I still don't understand what the messaging for this film is, and that's because at the end they show that the monsters being released did in fact make the earth better. A bunch of humans died, but the earth is now better for it...huh?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

90% of this movie consists of people standing around talking in a control room. 5% is focused on monster action, the other 5% focuses on reaction shots of the characters witnessing the action.

You sure you just didn't watch Shin Godzilla? The humans went to waaay more places than just a control room.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was awesome. Bummed there's probably not may left in this series.

Aug 1, 2018
I saw this yesterday and really liked it. I could've 100% done without the human drama stuff though. Every time the focus shifted from the titans destroying something to any of the human drama stuff, I kind of mentally checked out. The titans themselves were fucking awesome though and I loved the fights between them.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what the messaging for this film is, and that's because at the end they show that the monsters being released did in fact make the earth better. A bunch of humans died, but the earth is now better for it...huh?

People died because of Ghidorah's intervention, which was unnatural. Releasing them was always going to make the earth better, but if Godzilla was leading that charge it wouldn't have been violent (most likely).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
People died because of Ghidorah's intervention, which was unnatural. Releasing them was always going to make the earth better, but if Godzilla was leading that charge it wouldn't have been violent (most likely).

So Emma's only mistake is not knowing beforehand who and what Gidorah was? So essentially the plan was sound, and that Gidorah turning out to be an alien conqueror is the main reason Emma would be remembered for helping kill millions with her plan?

Oct 2, 2018
You sure you just didn't watch Shin Godzilla? The humans went to waaay more places than just a control room.

they do spend a lot of the time in rooms:

submarines
bases (iceland)
underwater base
lawcourt room
Monarch base.
planes (control room in the large plane)

you definitely notice it. I did.

Unlike 2014 which is more open and they go to japan and towns and walk through the landscapes, 2019 had a lot of closed sets.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So Emma's only mistake is not knowing beforehand who and what Gidorah was? So essentially the plan was sound, and that Gidorah turning out to be an alien conqueror is the main reason Emma would be remembered for helping kill millions with her plan?

I guess, yeah. You could always argue her reasoning was sound, despite human losses.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm glad they just went in with the overall stupidity of the Godzilla world with Ghidorah being an alien and all. But, holy crap the plot was awful.

I mean the movie was as great from like a cinematography standpoint with all the monster shots, but the people element was lacking. Am I supposed to empathize with the mother? She's responsible for literally thousands of deaths.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the movie was as great from like a cinematography standpoint with all the monster shots, but the people element was lacking. Am I supposed to empathize with the mother? She's responsible for literally thousands of deaths.

Nah, she was pretty much the villain, but like in the anime-ish sense of "I'm trying to save humanity by destroying it" sorta deal, to bring the planet back to its roots. What WAS awkward, was how she kept almost trying to kill her (ex?) husband, all because of their song dying cause of Godzilla... which wasn't his fault?...even though she freeing them ALL now... I dunno, that whole thing wasn't too clear (of course, then again I couldn't hear half the movie, so maybe I missed something there).

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
On another note, I wonder what a Mothra's natural life cycle would actually be? That monster sacrifices itself constantly.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I finally saw the movie yesterday after two previous attempts fell apart rather spectacularly. So my dreams of watching it in a big IMAX theater with as many people as possible evaporated and I went to see it after work, on a friday. tired as fuck, in a rather small (but comfy) and mostly empty theater. So yeah I'm rather biased because I love this fucking franchise but this movie was amazing. All the major problems I had with it lie with the motivations of the human antagonists which make no sense whatsoever. I had some mild issues with a nuke being used to revive Godzilla and by Serizawa of all people and the idea that the monsters radiation makes jungles grow n their footsteps made me go all Hans Solo from TFA.

That is not how radtiation works.

No good at all should come from nuclear energy, weapons or radiation in a Godzilla movie, but I'm willing to forgive since there were other parts of the movie that handled the topic with the care it demands. I liked the crew of the Argo and MBB as far as the human characters are concerned, even discount Rick Sanchez didn't annoy me all that much. I hoped that Ice Cube Jr would have a bigger role but he did well with what he was given. It's a shame that Serizawa and Graham are gone, I don't know how the rest of the cast will work without them in vs. Kong. Friday Night Lights got kinda prepped as the next Serizawa by inheriting his 124 page collection of dick butt sketches but I feel without those two we'll be missing some heart and warmth in the next movie.

So much for the humans, I thought the monsters were the real stars and this movie did give me everything I wanted as far as monsters and monster battles are concerned. I'm one of the guys who was absolutely fine with the Jaws-like approach in 2014 and I was surprised that KOTM pretty much continued along those lines. You get the same kind of build up, the same kind of camera angles and of course the human characters are inserted into the monster battles which puts their size into context and makes you appreciate how raw the fights are and how majestic the monsters look when filmed from these angles. I appreciated that, I'm sure most people didn't. It didn't feel like Godzilla had more screentime than in 2014 which, again, is fine by me and as I've been told over and over for all these years it's not about how much you've got but about how well you use what you've got.

The battle of Boston worked very well and ranks high among the best monster brawls in the franchise. As I hinted before I liked the way the human characters were inserted into the battle. I get a kick out of them doing their thing while these behemoths clash in the background and shit goes flying everywhere. People tend to feel robbed for some reason if parts of the battle are obscured or happen in the background, I sort of get this but I also know that most of the people who wish for a pure, unobstructed monster mash without cutaways to human characters would probably get hit by the Bayformers effect of over stimulation and wish for more restraint and... to put it plainly, craft in putting these creatures on the screen. It's one of the aspects that 2014, Skull Island and KOTM do better than their Japanese predecessors. You got guys running around while the apocalypse is going on around them and the stakes are high, at least after Graham's death shows there are no magic force fields that protect named characters.

Some random notes:

- loved the score, kind of wished that more classic themes had been used
- loved the hollow earth, ancient civilization stuff, it actually makes me wish for some sort of ( probably animated ?) show or film that is set in a time when that city was populated by people with Godzilla resting on that temple and people praying to him like he's an actual god, some fucking Conan/Tulsa Doom shit, well the box office results make that highly unlikely so I guess I should forget about that
- now this one might make matters worse for most people but I would have loved if instead of being eco terrorists the antagonists were some sort of Lovecraft inspired cultists looking to wake the elder/first gods and that these cultist had infiltrated Monach more thoroughly, that's a personal preference and I have no idea whehter he movie would have done better with critics, I also think they should have used First Gods instead of Titans as a name for the creatures
- I previously said that Mechagodzilla won't happen because the Legendary universe is too grounded, well scratch that, they went full sci-fi with those Monarch facilities and vehicles, the credits even hinted that Mechagodzilla is indeed happening or rather would indeed be happening if this movie hadn't been a box office disaster
- vs. Kong needs a classic Toho monster, I enjoyed Legendary's takes on KG, Rodan and Mothra, I want to see more reimaginings before the MonsterVerse gets shitcanned

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this earlier today and I enjoyed it but it was nowhere near as good as the 2014 movie. Listening to the complainers and just turning it into a dumb monster brawl made the movie a lot worse but it's still fun for what it is.

Like in the last movie though, Ken Watanabe's character makes no sense. He literally explains at the start that they want to co-exist with the "benevolent" monsters and then when Emma actually starts waking them up and basically just explains what he said but including the bit he skipped over (a lot of people will die in the process) and he's like "What?! no! I just wanted to live with the monsters, not live with the monsters while they kill people!"

My favourite parts
- Mothra sticking Ghidora's heads to a building and then Godzilla just fucking walking into him and knocking the whole building down. That was rad. Most of the monster fights were awesome tbh.
- Them constantly dropping 'Skull Island" into conversations as though it was a completely normal place that everybody should just know. "We found creatures in Asia, Antartica, Skull Island, etc" it was so stupid but I loved it.
- Late title card
- Some great shots, Ghidora on the volcano with the church in the foreground, Godzilla with the other monsters bowing to him, etc.
- Basically everything that didn't involve humans
- I kinda loved that they went to Godzillas underwater home where he chills to get his health back and their first idea is "what if we nuke this place?" like. "We need this giant lizard monster to help us. LETS NUKE HIS HOUSE."

Least favourite parts

- the teeerrriiibbblllleeee comic relief. There's so many really terrible jokes just slotted randomly into this film and it really sucks. Some of them seem very clearly edited in after the fact also, like the elevator scene so that was weird.
- literally every human character who wasn't in the last movie was terrible. Some of them are great actors but they felt like they phoned it in while Watanabe was giving it his A-Game similar to the last movie. As the friend who I went to film with said "It's like everyone showed up for a mediocre action movie and Watanabe showed up for Letters from Iwo Jima." This might just be because Watanabe is physically incapable of giving a bad performance. The researchers are still out on this.
- The...plot? The "Orca" device was a really stupid maguffin that every time it was used again I kept hoping someone would break it.
- Monarch? I'm not really familiar with other Godzilla stuff but...Monarch seemed like it was on the verge of being shut down how the fuck did they have nukes? Also how did they have such a massive global presence with bases all over the world that the US Government didn't seem to know about?

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Just got out of the theatre. I liked the score, the cinematography of the monster fights, the monster fights themselves (sadly there isn't enough of it) and Watanabe. Everything else is awful.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The more the try to make it realistic the worse it is. Like trying to have Monarch have to answer to the US government when they literally have infinity budget and resources made no sense. They had commandos, advanced containment bases all over the world, a flying fortress, an underwater super base, and seemingly unlimited ospreys and fighter jets. Like who would they even answer to?

They might as well go all in and have them have a Gotengo in the next movie because why not.

Last edited:

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more the try to make it realistic the worse it is. Like trying to have Monarch have to answer to the US government when they literally have infinity budget and resources made no sense. They had commandos, advanced containment bases all over the world, a flying fortress, and underwater super base, and seemingly unlimited ospreys and fighter jets. Like who would they even answer to?

They might as well go all in and have them have a Gotengo in the next movie because why not.

Only if Don Frye is there

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this movie, I liked it as it was fun watching the monsters fight and Godzilla being all badass.

The villains were terrible with Emma motivation being weak as it wasn't the humans fault that her son died, plus I hated how the movie tried to give her a noble heroic sacrifice...she does not deserve such an honour as her plan was complete genocide and she has blood on her hands by unleashing King Ghidorah.

None of that is ever addressed and she just basically gets away with it.

She should had been given a horrible villain death or arrested and thrown in jail.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just watched this movie, I liked it as it was fun watching the monsters fight and Godzilla being all badass.

The villains were terrible with Emma motivation being weak as it wasn't the humans fault that her son died, plus I hated how the movie tried to give her a noble heroic sacrifice...she does not deserve such an honour as her plan was complete genocide and she has blood on her hands by unleashing King Ghidorah.

None of that is ever addressed and she just basically gets away with it.

She should had been given a horrible villain death or arrested and thrown in jail.
Pretty sure she at least got atomized by Burning Godzilla.

Oct 28, 2017
I pretty much agree with the OP. Most of the monster stuff is good, but the plot and human characters are hot garbage. The dialogue is soooo bad in this movie. I did like the references/nods to the original Japanese flicks, so there is stuff to work with there. But damn, if only they didn't kill Cranston off in '14, he would've been light years better than what we got here. So far though, of the three movies, Kong had the better fights. I could see them and they didn't pull the cutaway shit. And please, action blockbusters, stop having humans run and narrowly escape unsurvivable amounts of destruction.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this today, even though the human drama was boring as usual, it was still great for three reasons:

1. The monster fights were flat-out awesome and unlike Godzilla 2014 I could actually see what was going on!
2. Screw the forgettable "cinematic" scores of every other blockbuster movie these days, hearing THIS blare so loud that the theater shook was something else.
3. Burning Godzilla at the end was absolutely badass.

Huge step up from the last one, looking forward to his rematch with Kong.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and holy fuck this must be one of the worst movies of the year. The writing is hot garbage. None of it made sense. After a while I just tuned out whenever someone pulled exposition out of their asses. Some issues I had that I want to highlight:

1. I'm actually shocked how cheesy the lines were. There's even a wise Chinese woman who's apparently the only person in the organization who knows their names because she's wise and Chinese and all that. She doesn't share them for some reason so you have Monarch people call it Monster Zero and when she calls it Ghidorah, you have a dude who literally does nothing important in the movie make a gonorrhea joke. Cringeworthy.

2. The military of Monarch are like the most unprofessional people on Earth. First you have the Antarctica outpost guarding Ghidorah which was infiltrated and taken out off screen in a matter of minutes. Then you have the rescue party whose job is to secure the area again (they take the scientists with them for god knows why) and get ambushed in a hallway. When Ghidorah awakens there's literally a shot where a handful of soldiers stop running away from it, stand their ground and try to kill it with bullets. Later on they try to lure Rodan away from a Mexican city to Ghidorah. That's the main objective. And yet before they reach Ghidorah the fighter jets all do a 180 and fire missiles at Rodan. They obviously fail and get taken out. There's even a shot where you see the pilots get crossed out like you're supposed to give a shit. Independance Day is cheesy but how the military responded was actually somewhat believable. Like you have a modern submarine with the latest advanced equipment steer and crash against some rocks. The weapons system gets taken out this way and Watanabe's character has to manually detonate the nuke. I actually laughed at the shot when Watanabe takes the nuke out of the briefcase.

3. There wasn't enough mayhem. The first film did this way better. The Mexican city is the only city where you can see people visibly panicking and running in fear. You follow a lady and her son who get saved by some soldiers when Rodan flies away. That's it. Later they use an abandoned Boston which just doesn't have the same impact.

4. The monsters were disappointing. There was never a moment where I felt that Ghidorah was a world ending threat. I had to laugh when Ghidorah closes in on a transportation vehicle full of people, peeks through the window and hugs the vehicle which mildly shakes it instead of crushing it with its mass. It's not a fucking dinosaur. Later on that same vehicle gets tossed around like a toy when Godzilla and Ghidorah tussle. When Godzilla loses its first fight it wasn't because of Ghidorah but because of an experimental oxygon killing missile. Yep you read that right. Because they're nuke resistant.

5. The fights were disappointing too. There were a lot of shots from the perspective of the people on ground level. I just want to see the monsters kick the shit out of each other. There were some cool shots but they were brief. I liked the shot when Ghidorah tanked a full hit of atomic breath from Godzilla. It made it seem like Ghidorah was heat resistant but in the end it didn't matter when Godzilla went super saiyan.

All in all, fuck this movie.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this movie in French made it a lot easier to tune out the awful, awful hoomans and enjoy the rock-em sock-em scenes, and the score was rad as hell. I also really loved hearing the Blue Oyster Cult song over the credits. I still appreciate the incredible sense of scale in Godzilla 2014, which wasn't quite replicated here, but there were so many amazing gif-able shots of the kaiju lording over cities and facing off against each other.

Starscream Rodan and Mothra-chan were both great, but Godzilla is the King. Kong ain't shit.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How many buffs are they going to have to give King Kong for him to have a fighting chance? From what I can tell he isn't nearly as large as Godzilla, and he lacks any of his special abilities or a long range attack. I don't know if intelligence is in his favor either since this Godzilla seems pretty smart.

Can Kong even generate the pulses the other titans can?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You know, I didn't even realize that there were two Dr. Chens because there are modern day Mothra twins. I was actually kind of confused when it seemed like the same character was in Castle Bravo and at Mothra's awakening. Did they appear on screen at the same time?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
How many buffs are they going to have to give King Kong for him to have a fighting chance? From what I can tell he isn't nearly as large as Godzilla, and he lacks any of his special abilities or a long range attack. I don't know if intelligence is in his favor either since this Godzilla seems pretty smart.

In the Kong movie they said "He's still growing" or somesuch I think.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think he was done growing in Skull Island, and whatever they do to even the odds probably has something to do with the seismic activity on Skull Island that's hinted at after the movie.

It doesn't ultimately matter though, because Godzilla and Kong will have to work together to beat Tywin Lannister's revived Ghidorah

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Her plan wasn't sound, she was murdering billions by releasing the titans.

The more the try to make it realistic the worse it is. Like trying to have Monarch have to answer to the US government when they literally have infinity budget and resources made no sense. They had commandos, advanced containment bases all over the world, a flying fortress, an underwater super base, and seemingly unlimited ospreys and fighter jets. Like who would they even answer to?

Monarch didn't have a private army, that was literally the army and other armed forces working with them the entire time. Which in itself made no sense with how the beginning was about military taking control of Monarch

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Her plan wasn't sound, she was murdering billions by releasing the titans.

But the point was without Gidorah, Godzilla would have kept the rest in line right? The point I originally made was that the earth did in fact get better due to the release of the Titans, as the credit scenes show. So if Gidorah didn't exist, significantly less people would have died. So what exactly is the movie trying to say? If the Titans don't get released, humanity dooms the planet. So saving life on the planet always required the Titans. Even with Gidorah's destruction, the earth itself is better off with the return of the Titans. Weird story.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that Ghidorah/Mecha Ghidorah is the actual bad guy in Godzilla VS Kong, because with the way this went down at the box office I'm worried that if it was meant for a later movie it's one we'll never actually get ;__; I feel like the reason they beefed Monarch up so much in this was that they needed to get to a place where it's believable that we can have mecha in this universe but I fear it'll be a tease that never gets followed up on ):

Hollywood is just incapable of having a movie where humans aren't the main characters no matter what the source is - Transformers, Chipmunks, Godzilla, Smurfs, etc they stick the human element in there to give the audience something to connect to but I feel like most of the time, we're there to see the fucking namesake of the movie and not all the stupide human side bullshit.

That said, I think this is the first time I have *ever* been interested in the human side of a Godzilla movie, and it was mostly because that's how we're fed the lore of the world. I liked the whole Titan thing with them healing the planet with their radiation, thought that was a neat twist even though I'm sure the science of it is complete bullshit lol.

I liked 2014 a lot but this one is obviously leagues better. The only thing that bummed me out was Godzilla's final kill shot in 2014 is like the most fucking brutal death I've ever seen in a Godzilla flick and I feel like they tried to one-up it here but failed pretty bad. When Goji was swinging the final Ghidorah head around in his mouth I was like "Oh he, I guess he's already dead now from getting his chest caved in, are they gonna do some weird thing where Godzilla shoots fire through Ghidorah's mouth and incinerates him from the inside out?" but nah it just got blasted like normal.

I still have to see Skull Island, but like everyone else I don't know how the fuck Kong stands any kind of a chance against this Godzilla. Like, at all. Even if they were the same size, Kong is just a giant ape and has no armor, no built-in spikes, no tail, no long-range fire breath... the only thing he has going is since he's smaller he'll likely be more agile. Unless he's able to like grapple Godzilla and choke him out I just can't see him coming anywhere even close to winning in a fight, and that's assuming he wouldn't get stabbed or cut while climbing around on Godzilla's back. But get him in the water and he's fucking toast. Godzilla wouldn't even have to fight him under water either he could just hold him under until he drowns. They're gonna need some crazy plot armor for Kong to make it seem like he has even a chance until the actual baddie shows up - and if there IS no 3rd monster and the entire movie really is Godzilla VS Kong that's gonna be just ridiculous.

It's funny that some of the people who didn't like this movie have resorted to blatant lying about it. 4% monster fights turns to 8% monster fights, 90% of the movie is in a control room? This translates to me to "I went in expecting to hate it, and when I occasionally looked up from my phone I saw more people talking scenes than monster fighting scenes"

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just a shower thought. When Eleven started broadcasting the signal from Fenway Park it caused the Titans to stop. That means that in like the 12+ish (in universe) minutes from when the signals stopped when Ghidorah blasted the stadium until when Godzilla "melted down" the woolie mammoth-ape, the spider, and the 3rd MUTO crossed oceans and continents to be there to bow before the King.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much better this movie would have been if they replaced all the Vera Farmiga bits with more mustache-twirling Charlie Dance. He's in so many scenes, yet he barely does anything.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Just a shower thought. When Eleven started broadcasting the signal from Fenway Park it caused the Titans to stop. That means that in like the 12+ish (in universe) minutes from when the signals stopped when Ghidorah blasted the stadium until when Godzilla "melted down" the woolie mammoth-ape, the spider, and the 3rd MUTO crossed oceans and continents to be there to bow before the King.
To a much lesser extent I don't know how Eleven manages to run home in the time she does. The average person could barely run a mile in that time, let alone during all that fighting and destruction going on around them. And she gets there with time to spare and to hide and wait for the parents and for them all to escape. Their house must have been on the same street as the stadium.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
To a much lesser extent I don't know how Eleven manages to run home in the time she does. The average person could barely run a mile in that time, let alone during all that fighting and destruction going on around them. And she gets there with time to spare and to hide and wait for the parents and for them all to escape. Their house must have been on the same street as the stadium.

Maybe the writers also ascribe to the D&D school of instant teleportation? 🤔

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

That whole scene with them finding her somehow both unconcious and not breathing without having any wounds and lying magically untouched by the rocks in a bathtub, only to see her getting magically revived completely unharmed and without any bad effects on her health the second they arrive was so fucking cliched, so badly executed, so utterly, depressingly unimaginative that it completely summarized every part of the movie where a human character is on the screen.

Honestly, when Eleven ran after her mom into the big Mothra room I immediately worried this movie was in trouble.The way they just allow that child running around in there without anyone acknowledging how fucking insane that it and how the movie constantly struggles to include her in a way that makes any sense whatsoever reminded me of the worst kind of Hollywood garbage from the early 2000s or late 90s.

Also, Kyle CHandler's character was so, so, so, so fucking boring in this. Oh my god. Same thing as with the girl. Why did he have any part in this movie? "You worked on a similiar prototype to the one we are searching for now, surely you can help us!" What? How? How does him having worked on a similiar machine help you FIND the machine? Maybe he could help you use the machine once you have it? But he never does! And it's seemingly extremely easy to use it anyway, since a child just fucking up and steals it and uses it perfectly.

And then they try to justify his existence with him having the idea that Gidorah is the Alpha, just like the wolfs he is studying, because he is such a wolf expert! Great! There's just that tiny little problem that wolves living in the wild actually don't choose alphas but live in a big family dynamic. Woops!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
I liked it.

The monster footage was MUCH better than the first. But the human element managed to go from boring to insufferable.

I hated the father and his pinched angry face. He always plays the same prick in every movie and I've never enjoyed it. He was an asshole in 8 Mile too.
The daughter sucked as well. The precocious kid grabbing shit out of peoples hands. Perfectly willing to go along with her mom's genocide, until she wasn't? The comic relief from Cabin In The Woods got on my nerves as well. And there were way too many kaiju mating jokes.

The only humans I liked were Tywin and the mom.

I loved the little clips of Rodan & Mothra's classic themes.
Appreciated how each monster had their own personality. Rodan was such a little shitsucker.
I love the human scale of just how massive the monsters are in this series. It was missing from Pacific Rim.
Awesome how it shifts between scifi and fantasy. Was that an allusion to Mothra's fairy twins? Fuck around and bring King Caesar into this thing!
The mutos parasitically fed on the titans last time, now it's bowing to them, so that didn't make sense.

King Ghidorah had the most disrespectful conclusion to a fight since Zod in Man of Steel.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I love the human scale of just how massive the monsters are in this series. It was missing from Pacific Rim.

Are you talking about the first Pacific Rim? Because if so, I have to disagree heavily with this. Pacific Rim does a way better job at portraying the size and scale of these monsters. In the entire Movie Del Torro only moved the camera in a realistic way, as if he was actually using real, existing cameras. He also heavily favored shots portraying both the Mechas and the Kaijus from a human perspective, as if you were one of the onlookers (similiar to Godzilla 2014).

In KotM, there are a few of those shots, but most of the time the camera just flies around wildly, makes use of these horribly artifical digital zooms and very much loses the "human spectator" angle. It was a lot more similiar to Pacific Rim: Uprising in that regard, where the monsters and robots also seemed more like action figures than anything else.

KotM does have these amazinginly epic shots before and after the battles with the monsters posing in a cool way for a really nice poster shot. But then, whenever the action started, I felt that completely went out the window.

Last edited:

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Saw it over the weekend, liked it much better than 2014, Shin Godzilla still GOAT, about as good as Kong Skull Island, dumb fun with human characters that are the very least memorable, which I cant even say for 2014 besides Cranston.

Could have used with even more monster fighting, although the finale was certainly a treat. I'm seriously fucking down for just a Kaiju Wrestling PPV at this point, ring and everything, being the focus of one of these movies.

I'm so confused why they would choose Ghidorah first. Like he's the one they have the least info on. No biometrics or bioacoustics or anything.

They needed an alpha to signal all the other Titans, and the only other one known at the time, Godzilla, was MIA or otherwise out of their hands, so they went with what they assumed was next best. They didn't know that Ghidorah could override their control and bend the monsters to its will instead of theirs.

Hell of a thing that Hollow Earth

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Dad didn't actually need to exist. He's only there to have a heroic white male face at the center of the movie.

Like seriously I feel like any of his contributions to the plot could have easily been divided up between any of the other literal experts in thier fields that he's surrounded by at Monarch. Raise the shields, show we're not a threat, Ghidorah is an alpha, nobody move; anyone else could have said those lines. Even Eleven did more on her own to help end the crisis than he did. His charcter doesn't need to exist, she could have done it all herself.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it over the weekend, liked it much better than 2014, Shin Godzilla still GOAT, about as good as Kong Skull Island, dumb fun with human characters that are the very least memorable, which I cant even say for 2014 besides Cranston.

Could have used with even more monster fighting, although the finale was certainly a treat. I'm seriously fucking down for just a Kaiju Wrestling PPV at this point, ring and everything, being the focus of one of these movies.

They needed an alpha to signal all the other Titans, and the only other one known at the time, Godzilla, was MIA or otherwise out of their hands, so they went with what they assumed was next best. They didn't know that Ghidorah could override their control and bend the monsters to its will instead of theirs.

Hell of a thing that Hollow Earth

I'm pretty sure they didn't say they want Ghidorah for that purpose. They literally said him signaling the other kaiju and waking them up was the opposite of their plan. They wanted to release them in a controlled manner one at a time. The Orca was their equivalent of an alpha signal.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Dad didn't actually need to exist. He's only there to have a heroic white male face at the center of the movie.

Like seriously I feel like any of his contributions to the plot could have easily been divided up between any of the other literal experts in thier fields that he's surrounded by at Monarch. Raise the shields, show we're not a threat, Ghidorah is an alpha, nobody move; anyone else could have said those lines. Even Eleven did more on her own to help end the crisis than he did. His charcter doesn't need to exist, she could have done it all herself.

Yup. One of my major problems. My wife was also pissed that they went sexist with the overly emotional woman trope not thinking shit through.

And like, that scene where the nerdy dude is like "I'll take you to the hanger" and stereotypical male lead ignores nerd and gives him shit... like that was totally unearned. Silicon valley dude seemed plenty competent. The dad was just an asshole.

That entire family group literally ruined the entire movie for me. I was pretty much pissed off any time they got on screen. I say take the entire family out of the movie and it'd be at least 3 times better for it.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that movie sucked. It was better than the last Godzilla film at least (while not saying much), but I can't help feeling they could balance and flesh the human element better. The script is not simply heavy-handed, but awful. King of the Monsters had a solid cast to work with and made the most out of none of them. However, it didn't stop the film from dragging itself all over the place with the crackpot science and paper thin family subplot. The monster fights were very entertaining on a whole, but they didn't take up enough time in comparison to the trash I had to suffer in between. A very low score for this film as a whole.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017

Godzilla can't be the only Titan who uses the hollow tunnels through the Earth to travel around the planet in seconds.

Monkey_Riah

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Seen this movie again Sunday. They could've easily made this movie better by:

- Charles Dance : Should be the main human villian. shit make him an alien/ or Ghidorah cult leader and one of the wealthiest man in the world. He knew about Ghidorah and he should be the one who reveals that Ghidorah is of alien origin.

- Vera, Bobby Brown and the dad : This should have been a story within the story. The Wife and Daughter is kidnapped by main villian Charles Dance and the father rescues them restoring the faith he loss for letting his son die. He should save the daughter and mother in an epic scene where he loses his life.

- Remove the Orcha: The Orcha BS device should not be in this movie. Charles Dance kidnaps Vera and does not kill her because he needs her to access all the Titan sites. They do not know how to wake up Titans and Ghidorah wakes up because Dance explains Titan zeros backstory to her causing her to panic and activate a self destruction sequence that would launch nukes at the site thinking it would kill the titan.

- Godzilla gets gravely injured in Antarctica : Ghidorah wakes up and is fed nukes meant to kill it. so it's super charged. Godzilla arrives and gets demolished by Ghidorah and Dance oxygen destroyer he created just for Godzilla ( Dance has money) and retreats to hollow earth to recover. Godzilla didn't go down easy though because he rips one of Ghidorah heads off and this is when it grows its head back.

- Remove human characters : Remove comedic scientist guy, Remove the Dads plot armor know it allness. Just make him focus on saving his family without being captain America. Just a loving dad. Watanabe and team of Monarch should be trying to locate Godzilla in secret and brining him back before its too late for humanity. Monarch is shutdown by the military so they have to do it in secret with some in the military stepping up to assist.

- mostly monster fights. Ghidorah should be going around wrecking havoc across the earth to fight monsters that he wake that won't bow to the new king.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was awesome !!!!

I knew exactly what I was getting into and I got it. Loved Mothra in it however short her part was. She was actually threatening.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I didn't think the movie was that bad. The monsters themselves were pretty great, and the scale and the fights themselves were well worth the wait. I do have to say that the monsters didn't have the same weight as the previous film. I especially say this when Ghidorah lifted Godzilla up to the sky and dropped him to the ground below.

The humans though... man that sucked. It seems like the sequel double downed on the issues on the first, only to make a lot of the motivations downright stupid. Did it really not occur to the eco-terrorists to do a little research on the creatures before releasing the one that might destroy the planet? Did the wife really think releasing monsters would be in her dead son's best interests? The dad was annoying, but at least he had an understandable reasoning for wanting to kill all the kaiju. And how the hell did the kid manage to sneak out of the base and into the stadium without anyone noticing her? The dialogue didn't bother me as much as the majority of the cast constantly acting like morons.

Also, hats off to Dr. Serizawa, my favorite human in the series. Guy just wanted to observe all the kaiju. At least he got to touch Godzilla before going out. He will be missed.

Overall, the series is in trouble. Alan Jonah being a recurring character doesn't seem that interesting to me. Checking from the old movies, I think it would have been better if they went the alien route and have all the kaiju team up against the invaders. At least we're guaranteed to see Godzilla vs King Kong, but I'm not as confident in it as before. 6/10