• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
As reported by Rockpapershotgun:

GOG explain in today's announcement that starting with a "selection of hand-picked" Epic exclusives in a closed beta, they're going to let folks games buy Epic Games Store games inside GOG Galaxy, as well as games from their own store.

Their example screenshot of a store page for The Outer Worlds inside GOG Galaxy notes that "You can install and launch [the game] via both GOG Galaxy and Epic Games Store client", so it sounds like you can skip using the Epic launcher, which would be a small blessing. The screenshot also notes that yes you do need an Epic account, and buying Epic games through GOG Galaxy will add them to your Epic account.

"The new store inside GOG Galaxy operates like any other store," the company told us. "It means we're selling games and earning a cut out of these sales."

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what happens in situations where multiple stores are offering the same game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So they're becoming a third party reseller in order to get some cuts on every game sold?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So... GOG takes the 30% cut of the 12% cut that Epic takes? lol

I get the convenience of a unified store... but I'd still rather buy the game in a better ecosystem. EGS version still doesn't have achievements, right?

Also, since there are "hand-picked", I'm guessing only games without DRM will show up on the GOG store pages... and that still rules out most major publishers.

Interesting experiment, though.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So... GOG takes the 30% cut of the 12% cut that Epic takes? lol

I get the convenience of a unified store... but I'd still rather buy the game in a better ecosystem. EGS version still doesn't have achievements, right?

Also, since there are "hand-picked", I'm guessing only games without DRM will show up on the GOG store pages... and that still rules out most major publishers.

Interesting experiment, though.
It has achivemenst, but theres no easy way of exploring those achivements if its not pressing alt+F3 (IIRC) during the game you are playing.
Or at least i havent found the way.
Thats how i saw my achivemetns from Railway Empire.

Deleted member 44122

theres already a thread about it
www.resetera.com

GoG Galaxy beta tests buying games from multiple PC stores

After doing a lot to put all your games from different pc launchers into one place, they are now looking into allowing you to shop for games from other PC stores (starting with Epic) through their own GoG store...

ill wait for further details and hope the games offered will all be drm free

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's thru GOg, they should remove the drm requirement, am I correct? I know al gog games are drm free

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
This is only a positive development if the games are DRM-free, which doesn't really seem to be the case unless I'm missing something.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm not really seeing what the incentive is for GOG here. Do they get a part of the cut, or are they paid a promotion by Epic?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I'm not really seeing what the incentive is for GOG here. Do they get a part of the cut, or are they paid a promotion by Epic?

More people using the GOG store and client = more chances for future sales. The goal is to become THE client for PC gamers, a one stop shop. If they can do that, they'll see their own sales skyrocket.

Like I made sure to buy Cyberpunk off the GOG store as I want to support CDR as much as I can. I like what they are doing and trying to make PC gaming better.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
More people using the GOG store and client = more chances for future sales. The goal is to become THE client for PC gamers, a one stop shop. If they can do that, they'll see their own sales skyrocket.
Yeah, but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect an influx of users following a change like this. This has just as high a probability of losing spending customers as keeping them since you're introducing a competitive eco-system within your own. Customers might as well spend money on EGS instead of GOG, especially considering EGS offers a lot of AA/AAA-releases that GOG isn't. It's a hell of a gamble as I see it.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I love GOG, DRM free games deserve recognition, so I hope this move helps keep them alive. I also appreciate what GOG Galaxy 2.0 tried to do, but Playnite just works a lot better as a game library aggregator.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
EGS is one of the few store front launchers that GOG Galaxy officially support. It can launch the games with minimal footprint of EGS store. At first I thought it launched it without EGS but I found out a background EGS process was launched, not a task bar process.

vBoFrPn.jpg

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So out of curiousity I opened GOG Galaxy to see if Epic games were available for purchase, and doesn't seem to be the case? Is this on limited rollout?