• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are taking a weekend trip to Disneyland (Anaheim, 2 day park-hopper passes) next month. This will be the first time either of us have gone without our kids in almost twenty years.

Anyone have any couples suggestions? Made a reservation for Blue Bayou, but not sure what else to plan for since making a mad dash for every ride won't be our top priority.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All the non kid rides? Go on those first? I recommend splitting up and going in the single rider lines. You'll get on rides much faster

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Epcot and Animal Kingdom have alcohol.
This is land, not world -- but I was just at Disneyland and they have drinks too. Dunno how many rides this works for but if you ask for a "buddy pass" you can enter the line through the exit, they'll seat you when there's a gap in the line. I know it works at least on the Monsters Inc. ride.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They're going to the California parks.

California Adventure offers alcohol, but you won't find any alcohol at Disneyland Park unless you know a member of Club 33.
This is land, not world -- but I was just at Disneyland and they have drinks too. Dunno how many rides this works for but if you ask for a "buddy pass" you can enter the line through the exit, they'll seat you when there's a gap in the line. I know it works at least on the Monsters Inc. ride.
Blah.. sorry. Read it too quick. Never been to the California parks.. my bad.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Get a table for dinner at the Carthay Circle restaurant in California Adventure (or, if you want to go really nice, go with Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel).

Pay for MaxPass...getting fastpasses through your cellphone is worth it alone, but you also get all ride photos and all photos taken by cast members...which ends up being very fun.

If the Canoes are running, in Disneyland (in Critter Country) do them. It's a lot shorter than it used to be, but it's very fun and different from most any other attraction in the parks.

Cocktails at the Cove Bar, if possible (sometimes the line/wait is just too long) the lobster nachos used to be very good there, not sure if they've kept that up.

Only do Toy Story and Splash Mountain with a fastpass...there are some long lines in the park (Radiator Springs, Space Mountain, etc) but none are as interminable as those two.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I are taking a weekend trip to Disneyland (Anaheim, 2 day park-hopper passes) next month. This will be the first time either of us have gone without our kids in almost twenty years.

Anyone have any couples suggestions? Made a reservation for Blue Bayou, but not sure what else to plan for since making a mad dash for every ride won't be our top priority.

Me and my wife loved Napa Rose but it's a bit pricy. Honestly you should just hang out in the lobby of The Grand Californian and chill for a bit. It's got great ambiance.

We are looking forward to riding the ferris wheel (aka Mickey wheel) but that's less because it's special and more because we got engaged there.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I recently went to Disneyland without kids OP, here are my tips:

- Alcohol is on DCA side only.

- If Food & Wine festival is still active on DCA side go out and try some new foods and also alcohol flights. It's a little pricey, but some good selections.

- Buy the thing that lets you pick FastPasses from your App and manage them very diligently. You can pick FastPasses again once a certain time has passed OR if the previous ones are used up.

- Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle are the two best adult restaurants IMHO. Get the gumbo at BB and the bread poppers at CC.

- Look any dining pack options for Fantasmic. There's a restaurant you can eat at and then stay at your table to watch the show.

- Thr animators studio on DCA side is pretty fun as couples, kids can get kind of bored doing it.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I went with my girlfriend a few months ago (it was my first time ever) -- we also made a Blue Bayou reservation! Otherwise just get the FastPass app and stick to it, stay for the fireworks, Fantasmic is great too.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
- If Food & Wine festival is still active on DCA side go out and try some new foods and also alcohol flights. It's a little pricey, but some good selections.
Oh, yes, this. This, this, this. Unfortunately, the best way to do it is to buy the lanyard, but that's only for Season Pass holders. Still, these are some of the best bites in the parks.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a table for dinner at the Carthay Circle restaurant in California Adventure (or, if you want to go really nice, go with Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel).

Pay for MaxPass...getting fastpasses through your cellphone is worth it alone, but you also get all ride photos and all photos taken by cast members...which ends up being very fun.

If the Canoes are running, in Disneyland (in Critter Country) do them. It's a lot shorter than it used to be, but it's very fun and different from most any other attraction in the parks.

Cocktails at the Cove Bar, if possible (sometimes the line/wait is just too long) the lobster nachos used to be very good there, not sure if they've kept that up.

Only do Toy Story and Splash Mountain with a fastpass...there are some long lines in the park (Radiator Springs, Space Mountain, etc) but none are as interminable as those two.

That sounds expensive

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Enjoy the parks now that you can actually target the rides and food you'd like to enjoy instead of having to cater to children. Going to theme parks with kids is actually atrocious. The most important thing to do is look at the rides you want to get on ahead of time, figure out what rides usually have long wait times, get to the parks before opening so you're some of the first people there, grab the fast passes you want, and hit rides that usually have long waits early.

I did a week at Disney World with my wife and we hit every park at opening (rope drop) and basically fully completed everything we wanted to at the park by noon. World has the benefit of being able to schedule fast passes ahead of time using a phone app, I dunno if Land has that yet but being on top of your fast passes makes a world of difference.

The Disney parks are huge and have more food and attractions then you can experience in a single trip. So its totally worth it to plan things out ahead of time if you're not able to make frequent trips.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the miserable parents as you enjoy your wine. Napa Rose and Carthay Circle are the best restaurants there but painfully average compared to mediocre restaurants off the park.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Made a reservation for Blue Bayou

Then you've already won. Seriously, one of my wife and my favorite things to do without the kids at Disneyland. If you can get them to give you a table near the ride, even better. Also, if they still have it, the Monte Cristo was fantastic.

Other than that, just pick a few of your favorite rides, get your fastpasses locked in, and just hang out and eat Dole Whips.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
enjoy it! Disney is great with kids, I can only imagine how much fun it would be without them. Just use your time wisely, gun for fast pass stations when you enter the park. Rope-drop (opening of park) to fireworks in each park.

OP
OP
jp319

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Some good ideas, thanks. I feel like there's a lot we miss because the kids wouldn't be interested. Carthay Circle and Napa Rose are good suggestions, gonna look into those since we're already doing Blue Bayou.

Ferris Wheel is a fantastic idea, I've never even been on one. Kids never wanted to go on it.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I second Carthay Circle. My wife and I were there for the first time last fall and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I'd also recommend ordering a bottle of GoGi wine while you're there, which comes from Kurt Russel's vineyard.

Since you already made a reservation for Blue Bayou, is it for the Fantasmic dinner? We did that and it was a lot of fun. The sitting area is right in front so you get a great view.

Also, are you going on the weekend? If so, pick out the handful of rides you really want to go. We did a Thursday-Saturday and Saturday was an absolute mob. We only got on a few rides the entire day, and some sections of the park, like Adventureland, were completely unpassable.

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
- Use single rider lines to bypass hour long waits usually.
- Get the Disneyland app to see if Disneyland or DCA is more busy and you can plan rides based on wait times.
- Find a way around parade routes to get on rides with virtually no lines. Cutting through restaurants helps.
- Disneyland Railroad can get you nearly any where quick in Disneyland if you use a map. (It also has cool original stuff along the way)
- Don't sleep on Radiator Springs Racers in DCA
- The Animator Studio in DCA is fantastic
- Go on Indiana Jones Adventure first because it is the best ride and gets long lines.
- Eat at the Blue Bayou
- Stay at a hotel outside Disneyland that is cheaper and has free bus rides in and out of the park.
- Haven't had Maxpass the last time I went but it sounds great
- Save the Enchanted Tiki Room for when you are tired
- Sneak into Galaxy's Edge and get some good pics
- Ride Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, and Star Tours multiple times
- Stay longer

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, how much does this place cost for the average adult?
For two adults, two day park hopper tickets with MaxPass is $620 ($560 without)

as for food, a Main at Napa Rose is about $45, and starters about $20. Carthay Circle's mains are about $30, starters $15.

OP
OP
jp319

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Since you already made a reservation for Blue Bayou, is it for the Fantasmic dinner? We did that and it was a lot of fun. The sitting area is right in front so you get a great view.

Also, are you going on the weekend? If so, pick out the handful of rides you really want to go. We did a Thursday-Saturday and Saturday was an absolute mob. We only got on a few rides the entire day, and some sections of the park, like Adventureland, were completely unpassable.
No, I didn't know about the Fantasmic stuff. I'll look into that.

Yes, weekend. We're bracing ourselves for the crowd. Rides aren't the top priority for this trip but we'll probably do a few.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you take edibles right before you leave from the hotel

(Or don't, I peaked close to when we went on Soarin' Over California and it freaked me the fuck out)

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
No, I didn't know about the Fantasmic stuff. I'll look into that.

Yes, weekend. We're bracing ourselves for the crowd. Rides aren't the top priority for this trip but we'll probably do a few.
You get a bonus seat cushion with the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dinner too.

Since you aren't prioritizing rides, I'd also recommend the bread tour at DCA. It's a fun, brief diversion and you get some free bread during it.

Mickey's Magical Map (Disneyland) and the Frozen musical (DCA) are fun shows too.

OP
OP
jp319

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
You get a bonus seat cushion with the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dinner too.

Since you aren't prioritizing rides, I'd also recommend the bread tour at DCA. It's a fun, brief diversion and you get some free bread during it.

Mickey's Magical Map (Disneyland) and the Frozen musical (DCA) are fun shows too.
Fantasmic dining packages already all taken for that weekend (sad face).

But holy crap there's a bread tour??? I love bread. We're doing that.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Splash Single Rider is usually pretty good....... and you'll often be able to go on together. That's what happened with my husband and me. I think the regular wait was 60 minutes or something around there and we only waited 15-20. Single Rider is often very good, but if the CMs tell you Single Rider is backed up, listen to them. They ain't lying. We ran into that with Indiana Jones. Didn't want to believe the CM and ended up waiting longer than standby. Standby was only 25 and I think we waited around 40, the longest wait of our trip. No fucking cell or wifi service in that line either!

Get the Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans. It's fucking amazing. Get the Fried Chicken at Plaza. It's fucking amazing. I'd say most food is overrated at theme parks but those two actually lived up to the hype. Also try the beignets at Ralph Brennan's (they have a counter service area so you don't have to do a sit down meal) for some good shit (or at least it was for me, having never been to New Orleans).

Chef's Table at Napa Rose kind of sucks. They mostly gave us shit from the regular menu except we couldn't pick what we wanted. If you do Napa Rose, just do the regular menu. The food is great and the place is romantic; nice place for a couple.

Get Maxpass on the DL app for $15/day per person. Includes FREE PhotoPass (which is worth more than $15/day by itself) and it makes it muuuuuuuuuch easier to get Fastpasses (basically allows you to book FPs via your phone....... often with earlier times than paper because cancelled ones go back into the MaxPass queue, but not the paper queue).

Definitely stay offsite. The prices at the DL onsite hotels are absurd and not worth it when there are many hotels literally across the street- some of them even closer than the onsite hotels- for a fraction of the cost.

Take your time and definitely try out some smaller rides and attractions. These often have short waits, so you have little to lose. One of our favorite rides at DL is actually Snow White's Scary Adventures, a dinky old ass ride. But my husband and I both LOVED it. It was our second favorite after Space Mountain.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I am so, so jealous. Would love to take this trip with my wife but the kids would die if I told them we were going to Disneyland without them.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Go on for sure:
  • Incredicoaster
  • Space Mountain
  • Mad Tea Party (and spin really really fast)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout
  • Radiator Springs Racers (Usually tied for longest line with Midway Mania)
  • Toy Story Midway Mania (if you are a competitive couple) [Always has the longest line]
If you have time:
  • Soarin' Around the World
  • Indiana Jones Adventure
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
And get a Maxpass. $15 for unlimited photos (including ride photos)

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Ride Space Mountain and check out whatever new Star Wars themed stuff they have. I haven't been in about twenty years but I know they got rid of the original Star Tours ride which is a bummer.