Do you like the name?

• Yes

Votes: 107 93.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is instantly one of the best names in sports, but the logo is meh. They tried too hard to get the bridge in there.
The NBA equivalent is the Warriors for those that don't follow basketball or US sports. Both teams will play in San Francisco after the Warriors left Oakland a few years ago
golden-state-valyries-logo.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/wnbagoldenstate/status/1790360287725674855
www.nbcnews.com

Golden State's WNBA expansion franchise to be known as the Valkyries

The outer shape of the logo is a V that reinforces the V in Valkyries while symbolizing the unity of a group of valkyries in flight.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good name in all ways.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Great name, logo and colours not so much.

Just not sure how it will look in 20 years time.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Golden State Valkyries is such a cool ass name but you'd think they'd go for a white and gold color scheme of some kind instead of purple and black. Hopefully their mascot/uniforms/official logo looks better than the one they've revealed.

OP
OP
jwhit28

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
When is Philly getting a team?

Might I also suggest the name be The Philadelphia Belles
Seems like Toronto is a lock for the next team. Maybe they can find a bird to use instead of a dinosaur.
The WNBA is in the final stages of negotiations to add a Toronto franchise that will start play in 2026, sources confirmed to ESPN, as the league hopes to add two franchises that season.

An official announcement for the Toronto team is expected May 23, according to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which first reported on the expansion franchise.

League sources told ESPN that no official vote on a Toronto expansion franchise has been held.

"We continue to engage in productive conversations with interested ownership groups in a number of markets and the granting of any expansion teams requires a vote of the WNBA and NBA Board of Governors," a WNBA spokesperson said in a statement.

Along with Toronto, sources confirmed that groups are in talks to revive a bid for a new team in Portland, as first reported by The Oregonian. The additions would bring the WNBA to 15 teams. An expansion franchise in Golden State is set to join the league in 2025.
www.espn.com

Sources: Toronto on track for WNBA expansion

The WNBA is in the final stages of negotiations to add a Toronto franchise that will start play in 2026, sources confirmed to ESPN, as the league hopes to add two franchises that season.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Seems like Toronto is a lock for the next team. Maybe they can find a bird to use instead of a dinosaur.

www.espn.com

Sources: Toronto on track for WNBA expansion

I like the idea of a name like the "Pterodactyls" (dinosaur-themed, you immediately think of wingspan, etc) but it's a clunky name coming out of the mouth (not to mention spelling)

OP
OP
jwhit28

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of a name like the "Pterodactyls" (dinosaur-themed, you immediately think of wingspan, etc) but it's a clunky name coming out of the mouth (not to mention spelling)
Thunderbirds is a pretty good one. It's an Algonquian myth so fits the territory, and it's theorized that Thunderbird myths come from Pterodactyl fossils. Toronto T'Birds.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The name is great. Norse female warriors with a nod to GSW. The logo not so much.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The connection can go a bit deeper too - California is named after Califia, who is somewhat like a Valkyrie. She's her own thing, but rides a griffon and has similar qualities:

www.atlasobscura.com

California Is Named for a Griffin-Riding Black Warrior Queen

The story of Calafia reveals the surprising complexity of medieval attitudes about race.

Took me a moment to see that the Golden Gate Bridge is part of that logo. It's pretty rad. Does look like a warrior emblem and the bridge... plus the V. Well done.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
While I can't imagine it ever happening I'd love to see a WNBA team in Boston or another part of New England. Like it's cool that the Sun are tribally owned (and the only pro team left in CT) but Mohegan Sun is not exactly a quick jaunt to go see a game sorta place.

A team sharing the TD Garden with Celtics and Bruins would be amazing and I feel would do really well attendance wise. Could hurt the Sun though.

The connection can go a bit deeper too - California is named after Califia, who is somewhat like a Valkyrie. She's her own thing, but rides a griffon and has similar qualities:

www.atlasobscura.com

California Is Named for a Griffin-Riding Black Warrior Queen

The story of Calafia reveals the surprising complexity of medieval attitudes about race.

Took me a moment to see that the Golden Gate Bridge is part of that logo. It's pretty rad. Does look like a warrior emblem and the bridge... plus the V. Well done.

I like the name for sure, and that explanation of the logo does help somewhat but it's still like "Why is your logo a road?"

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I love how the logo is two wings and the V, and I guess that's the bridge; but it could look a bit less like a highway down the middle, unless that's intentional.

Name is obviously amazing.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan personally, just because I feel like the team names should reflect the area/state that the team resides in. Valkyrie is a really cool name, I just don't see how it represents California/San Fran at all.