Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
As disappointing as this was, playing with a smooth frame rate and dual sticks would still be worth it and it's right there in the OP that we'll get both so okay.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I am guessing others have speculated this already, but if the Xbox version is also using the N64 rom then it's probably using Rare's emulator that powered Killer Instinct Gold, Blastcorps, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day in Rare Replay.

Only reason that does not make sense to me is because Blastcorps, etc, didn't have widescreen support in their emulators. This seems to have widescreen support according to the 16x9 screenshots. I kinda wonder if it is the XBLA version, but with all the graphical enhancements turned off and inaccessible.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
The fact it's coming to Rare Replay solidifies it's the N64 ROM just getting up rezzed vs the 360 remaster.

We'll sadly never get this the ability to toggle between old and new graphics:
goldeneye-comparison.jpg
It seems to be a separate app from Rare Replay, but it might still be running in the same N64 emulator Rare Replay uses.

We knew it probably was going to be like this when the N64 textures appeared in the Achievement art that leaked last New Year's. It was still possible then that they used that art for nostalgia reasons or whatever, but I was not counting on the re-release being anything more than this from that point on. As I alluded to this morning, porting Xbox 360 code (which was not even finished) to Xbox One is a bigger ask than shoving the ROM into an emulator they already have on Xbox One and configuring it.

Also, licensing issues with the original cast may have been a problem if they allowed new graphics. I'm not saying this is definitely the case but there may be extra licensing costs associated with redoing the textures for a new graphical mode, and this is for a game Nintendo and Microsoft aren't even making any money directly off of. The Xbox 360 version used Rare employees' faces, though I can't remember if the original graphics mode used the original actors or not.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Only reason that does not make sense to me is because Blastcorps, etc, didn't have widescreen support in their emulators. This seems to have widescreen support according to the 16x9 screenshots. I kinda wonder if it is the XBLA version, but with all the graphical enhancements turned off and inaccessible.
GoldenEye always had a widescreen mode. Jet Force Gemini did as well, and it works great in Rare Replay. Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 also had them on N64, though DK64's distorted things a little too much for my liking.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
GoldenEye always had a widescreen mode. Jet Force Gemini did as well, and it works great in Rare Replay. Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 also had them on N64, though DK64's distorted things a little too much for my liking.

Oh wow! I thought only Perfect Dark had that. Impressive for 1997! I wonder if we're going to end up with stretched out menus though.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Oh wow! I thought only Perfect Dark had that. Impressive for 1997! I wonder if we're going to end up with stretched out menus though.
If I recall correctly the widescreen mode in Jet Force did affect UI elements the same way it would have on N64, but it's been seven years since I tried it.

It would be nice (if there's a contractual reason they can't use new graphics) if this is the remaster with the new graphics turned off, though. That said I do still think using the N64 emulator from Rare Replay is the cheapest and easiest option and for a game nobody is directly paying for, so that may be the option they chose.

Considering the terms of this deal I wonder if Nintendo logo is still in the Xbox version. That would be wild.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
So that Xbox wire post states player who own a digital copy of rare replay get for free. I own the disc version. Am I screwed??

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
curious how they rebalanced the game with a smoother framerate. the original was already hard and you had slowdown on your side.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So that Xbox wire post states player who own a digital copy of rare replay get for free. I own the disc version. Am I screwed??
Yes, but Rare Replay is on sale for like $7 right now on the Xbox store, which is almost assuredly going to be less than the price of buying the game on its own.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's on sale for like $7 right now on the Xbox store, which is almost assuredly going to be less than the price of buying the game on its own.

Ok I will buy but that's weird that it's not just an update for disc owners! Thanks for the quick reply and tip on being on sale though!

EDIT: And bought! Now I just need it released!

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Yes, but Rare Replay is on sale for like $7 right now on the Xbox store, which is almost assuredly going to be less than the price of buying the game on its own.
They have not mentioned selling it on its own, it's possible they literally can't due to terms with either MGM or Nintendo, and as I said this morning, I worry what that means for preservation when the contracts are up.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They have not mentioned selling it on its own, it's possible they literally can't due to terms with either MGM or Nintendo, and as I said this morning, I worry what that means for preservation when the contracts are up.
not really missing or gaining a whole lot vs typical N64 emulation though

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This is better than not having the game on modern platforms at all, but still disappointing that this isn't the XBLA remaster ported to Xbox/Switch/PC.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about this as well. I hope they can clarify this as soon as possible, because the press release doesn't say anything about it being available for sale.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
According to the Xbox blog, the game on Xbox has enhanced controls to fit better the controller with dual stick support. Rare itself has worked in the Xbox port.

I really think this is not a Nintendo thing, it may be related with them only getting the rights to launch the original game and not a version with reworked graphics, which may be different regarding to licensing.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
According to the Xbox blog, the game on Xbox has enhanced controls to fit better the controller with dual stick support. Rare itself has worked in the Xbox port.

I really think this is not a Nintendo thing, it may be related with them only getting the rights to launch the original game and not a version with reworked graphics, which may be different regarding to licensing.
Nintendo is the one that owns the publishing rights of goldeneye so they likely don't agree to that version ever releasing

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
So this is coming through Rare Replay only and not seperate, right? Need to clarify for my friends that don't own it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
This is better than not having the game on modern platforms at all, but still disappointing that this isn't the XBLA remaster ported to Xbox/Switch/PC.

This is where I'm landing as well. It would have been great with the original on Switch with online gameplay and Rare's 360 remake on Xbox, but just having it back on modern platforms at all is cause for celebration.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

The original game didnt have online multiplayer and yet nintendo is adding it to their version (and the other doesnt have it). This have nothing to do with it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The original game didnt have online multiplayer and yet nintendo is adding it to their version (and the other doesnt have it). This have nothing to do with it.

Nintendo's is like Sonys screen share. I don't think MS has a solution that would work like that (putting aside the xbla version)

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to nitpick, but is it really the case that Nintendo is "adding" online multiplayer, or isn't it just kind of baked into the emulator(s)? I've actually never played any of the NSO games via online multiplayer, but I was always kind of under the understanding that other people were joining your hosted game and basically becoming another player on your instance as though they were using another controller in the same room.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
Did the games from rare replay have online play? I mean the ones emulated directly, like killer instinct gold, not the live arcade ports. The online is integrated in Nintendo's NSO emulator, it's not that they have modified the game. Maybe the rare emulator for the Xbox didn't allow it, I can't remember now.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Did the games from rare replay have online play? I mean the ones emulated directly, like killer instinct gold, not the live arcade ports. The online is integrated in Nintendo's NSO emulator, it's not that they have modified the game. Maybe the rare emulator for the Xbox didn't allow it, I can't remember now.

dont remember 100% but i think it does have online mp of some sorte yeah. i got a bunch of cheevos on the rare replay games for weekly quests and KI Gold was one of them. guess i could install and check when i get home. point is i dont think "quirk of emulation" would be enough to bypass some clause obligating the game to stay truthful to its original version anyway

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm guessing Nintendo is providing online play through their existing emulator solution, which would explain why the Xbox version doesn't have it (because Rare didn't put in the work to make that happen).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing Nintendo is providing online play through their existing emulator solution, which would explain why the Xbox version doesn't have it (because Rare didn't put in the work to make that happen).

ah yes microsoft, a company with little expertise on online solutions and that never bothered much about online multiplayer, and rare, who didnt put any effort into porting their old games to the xbox platform at all, just doing the basic of the basic instead of adding features, readding planned content that never made or just making an entire love letter of a compilation full of extras and goodies

now that's bull

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
ah yes microsoft, a company with little expertise on online solutions and that never bothered much about online multiplayer, and rare, who didnt put any effort into porting their old games to the xbox platform at all, just doing the basic of the basic instead of adding features, readding planned content that never made or just making an entire love letter of a compilation full of extras and goodies

now that's bull
I never said they aren't capable of doing it.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Rare Replay is the gift that keeps on giving. If you're getting it for this, be advised that it also includes goddamned Blast Corps.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
dont remember 100% but i think it does have online mp of some sorte yeah. i got a bunch of cheevos on the rare replay games for weekly quests and KI Gold was one of them. guess i could install and check when i get home. point is i dont think "quirk of emulation" would be enough to bypass some clause obligating the game to stay truthful to its original version anyway
Maybe in a few years we will have the full picture of what happened here. At least we have the game on modern devices, that's a lot more I would have expected a year ago.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Maybe in a few years we will have the full picture of what happened here. At least we have the game on modern devices, that's a lot more I would have expected a year ago.

I maintain we'll have a clearer understanding of what is coming during Microsoft's presentation on the 15th. Release date, Xbox-specific features, and gameplay footage. (Nintendo will piggy-back with their own release date as soon as Microsoft announces.)