Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Hovland looking good again.

Lot of people I'd like to see win at the top

Hovland, Scottie, Theegala, Finau, Morikawa

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
I hope Xander coughs it up to one of the players I like more

Obviously Xander is an incredible player, but I am not rooting for him
I have a hundred Xander stories. He's always been good to me, sitting next to me in airports and just chatting. His parents are downright delightful.

One of my favorite stories is more about his parents than himself-- a couple years ago I had a bunch of my camera gear stolen out of my rental SUV in Vegas. Xander's mom heard about it and knew I was coming to Tokyo in a few weeks to cover the Zozo Championship, so she messaged me saying she was already quarantining in Japan and asked if I'd like her to go to "the big camera store" to repurchase all my gear for me. Completely unexpected, unprovoked. I had everything taken care of on my end so her offer wasn't necessary, but still very much appreciated.

Xander is very much that same type of person so I'll always be in his corner.

But legitimately, so many of these guys are good people. I'm just ready for Xander to finally get one.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have anything against him other than he is beating my favorite players right now.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Scottie shockingly shaky at the start here. 3 over through 3 and just went OB on 4.

Edit: and now chunked his shot after the drop. Went 20 yards.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple players gonna be -20 in this tourney I think. First time ever. Another 'brutal' course taken apart.

Don't know what you even do at this point.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Watching his pre-shot grip routine drips me mad.
He does the short backswing and then, in normal conditions, it takes 8 seconds to hit the ball (I've learned this over time so I'm not wasting card space recording nothing).

Yesterday he took 12 seconds on a couple different shots. I haven't been able to watch until the 12th hole today, but it seems like we're back to 8 seconds. The broadcast doesn't do him any favors by showing him before the practice backswing, that's for sure.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
It's an insignificant detail in the bigger scheme of things, but I love those shallow DoF shots when they walk on the fairway/up to the green.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The ball was heading towards the edge of the hole and I clenched my cheeks so hard lol

Great weekend from Xander, absolutely deserved the win

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Dumb question here: Why is Bryson not liked around here? Is it because he is on LIV or is he a Trumper? Idk

Have to admit that I mostly know him from YT and he seems like an OK dude on there.
It's from before the LIV existence, he was perceived as arrogant and he also had some history with trying to get a free drop relief in some situations where it was perhaps far fetch.
I really didn't like him back in the day, but watching him on youtube, I did a complete 180 on him, he's a really cool dude.

I'm glad for Xander tho, deserved it so much. And would rather him than Bryson because I don't want LIV to promote major wins.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
It's from before the LIV existence, he was perceived as arrogant and he also had some history with trying to get a free drop relief in some situations where it was perhaps far fetch.
I really didn't like him back in the day, but watching him on youtube, I did a complete 180 on him, he's a really cool dude.

I'm glad for Xander tho, deserved it so much. And would rather him than Bryson because I don't want LIV to promote major wins.

So it is a bit like with Neymar and Mbappe who are under more scrutiny because they were on PSG as opposed to Real, Barca, Bayern?

Always feels to me like PSG/City players get way more shit than dudes playing for "traditional" superclubs

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
So it is a bit like with Neymar and Mbappe who are under more scrutiny because they were on PSG as opposed to Real, Barca, Bayern?

Always feels to me like PSG/City players get way more shit than dudes playing for "traditional" superclubs
Bryson is definitly special, he arrived with his unique approach with a very rigid swing, same lengths irons and his scientific math to evaluate the slopes, distances etc., the way he muscle up during covid (plus he had a specific flat hat, beret ?).
He had to prove that his methods could make him win tournaments and majors. And he did.
Also he was driving longer than anybody else but he was sending his balls left and right. Now he swing so straight and long, it's unbelievable.

I don't think the comparison with Neymar is justified because Bryson is genually a good dude but he was kind of condescending the first few years and now, thanks to youtube I think, he changed his image.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Bryson is definitly special, he arrived with his unique approach with a very rigid swing, same lengths irons and his scientific math to evaluate the slopes, distances etc., the way he muscle up during covid (plus he had a specific flat hat, beret ?).
He had to prove that his methods could make him win tournaments and majors. And he did.
Also he was driving longer than anybody else but he was sending his balls left and right. Now he swing so straight and long, it's unbelievable.

I don't think the comparison with Neymar is justified because Bryson is genually a good dude but he was kind of condescending the first few years and now, thanks to youtube I think, he changed his image.

Ah thanks for the info.
Yeah Neymar was a bad comp, this guy is truly a terrible person/abuser.

I just assumed there was some older story on Bryson I wasn't aware of.
From the stuff I saw he was pretty likeable, a typical American jock but pretty down to earth.

Taking LIV money isn't too much of a res flag for me, because in Euro football (soccer) it is impossible to support any player or club who isn't bagging sportswashing cash in some form.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this above. I hear you, it was toothless but I don't even know what you do at this point. The roll back is necessary but probably comes with unintended consquences and who knows if it's enough.

There was like 0 danger for these guys coming in yesterday.

Missed that sorry, yeah as Andy from the fried egg said, the only way to challenge these guys (outside of weather) is with big sloping greens and punishments for missing greens. Length and long rough off the tee means nothing to pros now.

I think I have par3 yips, ball sitting in the fairway is fine but on a tee with an iron in my hand equals hitting 3 inches behind the ball.

Jun 9, 2023
Posted this above. I hear you, it was toothless but I don't even know what you do at this point. The roll back is necessary but probably comes with unintended consquences and who knows if it's enough.

There was like 0 danger for these guys coming in yesterday.
I mean, it also rained a ton early in the week. The course was just a big soft, squishy sitting duck. Soft greens and big wide soft fairways was bound to get just run over. I'm fine with it, personally. I don't know why score relative to par gets people so worked up. It was super exciting, all weekend. If it was this exciting all the time, I couldn't care less if the winners are -2 or -20.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it also rained a ton early in the week. The course was just a big soft, squishy sitting duck. Soft greens and big wide soft fairways was bound to get just run over. I'm fine with it, personally. I don't know why score relative to par gets people so worked up. It was super exciting, all weekend. If it was this exciting all the time, I couldn't care less if the winners are -2 or -20.

I agree it was a great tournament, leaderboard was fun and we got great players all week. They can't control the weather, but then again maybe you shouldn't rely on it for difficulty. But I also would like to see once in a while some courses that really challenge the players, and it felt like there was no real risk down the stretch. The top 5 recorded 3 bogeys in their final round - 2 of those being Xanders weirdness on 10 and Hovland being out of it after missing the putt on 18.

There was no real risk to missing the fairway or even greens. Some risk/reward would be nice.

Like I said, not sure what to really do. I much prefer this to some of what I view as unfair means of introducing difficulty, like that ridiculous tournament I can't remember with domed greens. Or unfair/silly false run off areas.