• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
Hell of a major debut for Aberg still, and props to Scottie, a Masters win and becoming a dad within a week is absolutely amazing

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
I was rooting for Homa, but happy that Scottie won. Happy that none of the LIV players made top 5. Aberg look like a huge talent. Love watching the Master. There's something special to it that no other tournament can match it. Really like the changes they made to the course and how more challenging it was this week

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Worlds #1 Coach Shares Right Arm Secrets With Me - Live Golf Lesson

Move your right arm like this in the golf swing and you will feel like cheating. In this golf video Danny Maude has a golf lesson with the #1 coach in the wo...

know this video is a little old now so it may have been shared. But I'm 3 years into golfing now. I played my first round of the season (granted I have a net for practice I'll hit about 50-100 balls on a few times a week). But I played a 77 (from blues). Last year with some chipping practice I was getting into the low 90's to high 80's if I was lucky. I feel like this has just completely changed my game. Even bad hits are just straight so I almost always at least have the chance at getting to green in regulations.
Wanted to give an addendum to my previous video link and statement. I lost the feel not long after and while was still significantly better than before. I slid back into the mid 80's next time I hit or higher due to loss of distance etc from that session I had played. Not a huge loss but enough for consistency issues. It wasn't until locking in this feeling in addition to that backswing setup that I started getting back to that again here https://youtube.com/shorts/I8X_I_rrPCE?si=E7-AKjJUygVoI3Qd

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
The baby isn't due until the last days of April, according to what Meredith told me. If it came during Masters week something would've been wrong.
I just heard the thing about his wife almost nearing labor, if it isn't due for another few weeks than I stand corrected, but I still have that sentiment I expressed earlier about this being a dream month

I was rooting for Homa, but happy that Scottie won. Happy that none of the LIV players made top 5. Aberg look like a huge talent. Love watching the Master. There's something special to it that no other tournament can match it. Really like the changes they made to the course and how more challenging it was this week
Basically my thoughts regarding the LIV guys lol, just glad it was a PGA guy

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
I just heard the thing about his wife almost nearing labor, if it isn't due for another few weeks than I stand corrected, but I still have that sentiment I expressed earlier about this being a dream month
Definitely a dream month-- winning Bay Hill, Players and The Masters, and then having your first child. I'd be happy to take 10% of Teddy's 10% hahahha

I think the talk was more about what he'd do if it turned out she was having the baby imminently. Hunter Mahan famously left the Canadian Open, while leading after two rounds, to be present for his child's birth. He was a hot commodity at the time, but I don't think he ever won again after that.

Anyhow, Mere mentioned at the Players Championship that the baby's due on the 29th or 30th.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Worlds #1 Coach Shares Right Arm Secrets With Me - Live Golf Lesson

Move your right arm like this in the golf swing and you will feel like cheating. In this golf video Danny Maude has a golf lesson with the #1 coach in the wo...

know this video is a little old now so it may have been shared. But I'm 3 years into golfing now. I played my first round of the season (granted I have a net for practice I'll hit about 50-100 balls on a few times a week). But I played a 77 (from blues). Last year with some chipping practice I was getting into the low 90's to high 80's if I was lucky. I feel like this has just completely changed my game. Even bad hits are just straight so I almost always at least have the chance at getting to green in regulations.

I just played for the first time in over a month. Before I took a break I played three days back to back and just totally self destructed and lost any confidence I had.

Well, showed up the course 45 mins early, hoping to apply some of the tips from this particular video with a small range bucket, and just my luck, the range was closed because the ball machine was out of order!

Went raw into a 7000 yard 18 holes. Took me most of the front 9 to get the feel, but once I did...I was hitting purer than I have in a long time.

Can't wait to actually practice a bit more with this swing feel.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I just played for the first time in over a month. Before I took a break I played three days back to back and just totally self destructed and lost any confidence I had.

Similar thing happened to me last week lol
Was on a work trip to Bonn and there was a course close to the Hotel. Went to play after my meetings every day.
Since sunset was around 8:30ish and my meetings ran till 5pm I was always a bit in a hurry. Didn't really warm up, get settled in and was pretty (over) confident as my start to the season on my local course was decent.

I kinda assumed "hey I got the hang of this, lets get a quick 9 in" and boom, I hit 2 balls into the bushes off the first tee.
Panic set it, I tried to correct the issues on the fly and it made it even worse. Nothing was going right.
Next day, I go back there again and the issues carried straight over.
Got thru the 18 hole round by playing punch shots with the 9 iron because nothing else was working.
3rd day was a bit better but something in my swing just "broke" and I had no clue how to fix it..
On the weekend back home I went to my home range and the swing felt OK again, as in, I have no clue what happened in Bonn and how to prevent it.

I have played quite a few sports in my life (football/soccer, tennis, bball, even tried fencing), not saying I didn't experience highs and lows (mostly lows) in other sports but the swings were never as drastic as they are in golf.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well, showed up the course 45 mins early, hoping to apply some of the tips from this particular video with a small range bucket, and just my luck, the range was closed because the ball machine was out of order!

Went raw into a 7000 yard 18 holes. Took me most of the front 9 to get the feel, but once I did...I was hitting purer than I have in a long time.

Can't wait to actually practice a bit more with this swing feel.
Awesome! Super glad to hear it. This year has been a big improvement year for me, it's really paying off.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a new Vokey straight from Titleist, my current setup goes iron set GW at 48° then older Vokeys at 54° and 58°, but I kept getting into situations where I would end up 90-100yds away and I couldn't dial back the GW enough and couldn't strike my 54° consistent enough swinging hard enough to get that distance. Ordered a 52° with the same shaft as in my irons so hopefully get a similar feel even though I know the true wedge will feel a little heavier on the club head end.

Also Augusta is amazing, and after playing Caledonia, I am a true believer in the greatness of Mike Stranz (RIP).

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Did you happen to get fit for your wedges? Only asking because they all have different bounces grinded into them. Want to make sure it's something you're prepared for.

Last edited:

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Ordered a new Vokey straight from Titleist, my current setup goes iron set GW at 48° then older Vokeys at 54° and 58°, but I kept getting into situations where I would end up 90-100yds away and I couldn't dial back the GW enough and couldn't strike my 54° consistent enough swinging hard enough to get that distance. Ordered a 52° with the same shaft as in my irons so hopefully get a similar feel even though I know the true wedge will feel a little heavier on the club head end.

Not sure if it is OK to promote here, but I had a great experience with Vokeys SM9 from Pandabuy.
I bought a 199€ SM9 Pitching Wedge from Golfhaus (official store) a while ago and noticed 0 difference between the real thing and my 50 degree SM9 from Panda.
Shipping and customs has never been an issue for far, also have a PXG driver and a set of G450s from China (haven't put in shafts in them yet as I am fine with my old G Series irons atm).
IIRC the Driver was 100€, a wedge is like 30€ and the set of irons (PW to 5) was like 200€.

I currently use SM9s 56, 50, 46 now. 56 for bunkers and elevated greens, 50 for 50m-80m, 46 for 80-100m.

Not sure what it is about the vokey wedges but I like them 100% more than the Ping glides, they feel so much nicer in your hands and give me more confidence idk

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Shocker, Scheffler is winning again.

His last 50 starts:

-34 top tens
-9 wins

He also has 38 consecutive rounds (still going) at par or under, 2nd only to 2000-01 Tiger Woods who had 53.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Super glad to hear it. This year has been a big improvement year for me, it's really paying off.

View: https://youtu.be/HypQnx_JLOo?si=0KUTh1mKP5xuMnWd

Danny just posted a follow up on that video to simplify the explanation. Great video.

I've really focused on slowing down my golf swing with this feeling the last week or two and it's done wonders for me. Still a lot of work to do! Amazing timing though, I've been thinking about this every day since you posted it!

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Danny just posted a follow up on that video to simplify the explanation. Great video.

I've really focused on slowing down my golf swing with this feeling the last week or two and it's done wonders for me. Still a lot of work to do! Amazing timing though, I've been thinking about this every day since you posted it!

Oh wow Danny video filling in the blanks.

I had the range session from hell with that swingthought/concept. Now I completely understand how I messed up, I did not do the waiter hand thing.

Anytime I get a new inspiration/swing tip it seems to break sth else.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just in case anyone is doing the Danny Maude drills.
Just got back from the range and the "hold the trail hand like a waiter" thing is massive.

the "waiter hand" is a good primary swing thought imo once you hit that position, you can fire.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I said it earlier in the thread but I think I confirmed to myself this weekend that I enjoy the golf simulators more than a full round of 18.
This is coming from someone who has been playing for 35 years and hundreds of rounds outside.

I don't know where this came from but I just don't like spending 5-6 hours doing anything anymore.

I'll still play 5-8 times this summer but I know by playing less frequently my game is going to suffer which makes it even less enticing to get out there.

Old ERA feelings. 😞

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I said it earlier in the thread but I think I confirmed to myself this weekend that I enjoy the golf simulators more than a full round of 18.
This is coming from someone who has been playing for 35 years and hundreds of rounds outside.

I don't know where this came from but I just don't like spending 5-6 hours doing anything anymore.

I'll still play 5-8 times this summer but I know by playing less frequently my game is going to suffer which makes it even less enticing to get out there.

Old ERA feelings. 😞

Just play 9? I don't know your situation but I get 9 holes done in about 2 hours at my local course.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just play 9? I don't know your situation but I get 9 holes done in about 2 hours at my local course.

I am a noob but get where they are coning from.
I live 3mins away from my course but even if play at 7am, I will be gone for 3ish hours.
Getting the gear sorted, warm up, playing 9 and showering, cleaning clubs just adds up.

Really hard to find the time. Playing sim golf at the range allows me to get 27 holes of golf in plus some practice/warm up in like 90mins.

With work, the kid, errands etc there just aren't many 4-5 hour gaps for me atm
Usually play "IRL Golf" before work or on business trips tbh

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
A quick wipe with a damp towel after each shot is usually good enough. The deep cleaning can be done at home. (pace of play...). But also, yeah, have said before I know golf is a time investment, wish there were more 9 hole courses that allowed for shorter rounds in general.

First round of the season was yesterday, lots to figure out and get the rust off. I've been enjoying the Danny Maude videos shared, good to have things feel as simple as possible.

Last edited:

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
This clearly is an area I need to work on lol
I thought you clean them after the round. Usually just wipe grass chunks off with a towel during the round

Ah, so you are supposed to use the brush (I was gifted one but never used it) on the course? Makes sense now.
I brush and towel after each shot.

Golf is hard enough as it is. If there's anything in the grooves that wasn't there on the previous shot, it can introduce inconsistencies in the impact and ball flight. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed by making sure those grooves are free of debris!

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
First round of the season was yesterday, lots to figure out and get the rust off. I've been enjoying the Danny Maude videos shared, good to have things feel as simple as possible.
I feel like most (if not all) of the courses around me have 9-hole rates. Worth checking around your place to see if that's offered.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I brush and towel after each shot.

Golf is hard enough as it is. If there's anything in the grooves that wasn't there on the previous shot, it can introduce inconsistencies in the impact and ball flight. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed by making sure those grooves are free of debris!

Will do that next round.
Just assumed this was sth only low handicappers do, didn't think it would matter at my skill level lol

But even from a practical pov it was stupid of me not to do it, cleaning the clubs after a round was such a pita, sounds logical to just clean them as you go.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like most (if not all) of the courses around me have 9-hole rates. Worth checking around your place to see if that's offered.

Can confirm the same for Germany.
My local club is basically a range plus a 9h. The bigger clubs either have dedicated 9h or let you play tee 1/10 rounds.

Really humbled and blessed that we bought a house with a course so close by. For 5 years I drove by the golf course every day and ignored it, now it is such a massive perk. Will never move away from here lol

Imo travel time is an overlooked factor. I have plenty of greenfee vouchers from work. Way nicer clubs than mine. But they are 1h away and that makes it impossible to play there. I would be gone for a whole work day. With my local club I can tee off at 7am and be ready for work at like 9:30 (wfh).

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Since you posted that video, my game has changed. Have been at the range 4-5 times with swing thought in mind and the results are insane. Huge jump, thank you so much.

I just played 3 nine hole rounds on my Garmin and never exceeded +1 for the round. My avg is more like +5.

Just feels like I can actually influence where the ball goes with driver, irons ans hybrids are a dream. And driver has been very straight by my standards. Even the short stuff is better.

Sorry for the spam but this makes me so happy and excited

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Had the pleasure of playing three rounds in Birmingham weekend before last. Didn't play as well as I had hoped (103,100,103) but I had a blast. Strong winds the first day, but with the most receptive bent grass greens. Day two was a great course with less elevation change and wind, but my first time on Bermuda with zero practice before the first hole. Third course was also Bermuda, but the greens were only a year old due to someone killing them in 2022/2023, so you'd land 10 yards short and end up 15 yards behind the hole.

Oxmoor Valley - Ridge
1RD0T9z.jpeg

Oxmoor Valley - Valley
iYf2FSJ.jpeg

Ross Bridge
b7Ok8jU.jpeg

Would love to get back there one day if I ever improve my HCP by 20+ lol

Positive things to take from each round, like only having a few bad drives, or being the only one to hit a GIR on the Par 3s with my much better playing partners (5,6,20 HCPs compared to my 27) on the final round. Now to wait for the snow to melt here so I can go play more.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
ChrisR

Are you from that region? Those pics give me flashbacks.

Have visited Birmingham, AL (I assume the pics are from AL and not UK lol) when I was working in NW Arkansas for 18 months (my company installed a SAP system for Tyson chicken and I was the youngest, so I had to go).
Drove around the region on weekends because there was nothing to do in Bentonville (Walmart capitol) unless there was a college football game and gasoline cost nothing in the US.

Really enjoyed it down South. Like most EU people, I had a bad mental image in my mind before I got there but it was very far from the truth. The landscape is stunning, the people are nice and the BBQ places OMG
Had a much better time there than I did on my stints in Milford and Providence.

There is actually a pretty authentic Southern BBQ place in Berlin, guy who owns it is from AL.
He even has a picture of Nick Saban on the wall lol

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
ChrisR

Are you from that region? Those pics give me flashbacks.

Have visited Birmingham, AL (I assume the pics are from AL and not UK lol) when I was working in NW Arkansas for 18 months (my company installed a SAP system for Tyson chicken and I was the youngest, so I had to go).
Drove around the region on weekends because there was nothing to do in Bentonville (Walmart capitol) unless there was a college football game and gasoline cost nothing in the US.

Really enjoyed it down South. Like most EU people, I had a bad mental image in my mind before I got there but it was very far from the truth. The landscape is stunning, the people are nice and the BBQ places OMG
Had a much better time there than I did on my stints in Milford and Providence.

There is actually a pretty authentic Southern BBQ place in Berlin, guy who owns it is from AL.
He even has a picture of Nick Saban on the wall lol
100% NOT local lol, I'm from Alaska (I'll blame not playing on grass since last year for the scores). Just happened to be down there in Birmingham AL for work earlier in the month. Wouldn't mind going back though, everyone I played with was awesome, one of the clubhouse kept my stray rangefinder in their lost and found and I was able to pick it up the following morning before my final round so that was great as well.

The whole RTJ Trail has a bunch of really nice courses it looks like. https://www.rtjgolf.com/trail/