Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
We've been having regular discussions on a Discord server lately, and with many users + lag we've been having trouble managing who gets to speak at a given moment (a lot of people jumping in at once, talking over each other, etc).

I was wondering if there was any good online software for to manage this. I have three features in mind:
  1. It's multi-user (ideally web based) so anyone can add themselves, without needing a full-time manager
  2. It handles speaker queuing, so people can "raise their hand" and get a turn to speak
  3. It has timers, so people don't monopolize the floor
Are there any good free/cheap options for this?

I've only seen enterprise software (e.g. https://stagetimer.io/) which is way too expensive for hobbyists, and their free tiers are too restrictive to be useful.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
We've been having regular discussions on a Discord server lately, and with many users + lag we've been having trouble managing who gets to speak at a given moment (a lot of people jumping in at once, talking over each other, etc).

I was wondering if there was any good online software for to manage this. I have three features in mind:
  1. It's multi-user (ideally web based) so anyone can add themselves, without needing a full-time manager
  2. It handles speaker queuing, so people can "raise their hand" and get a turn to speak
  3. It has timers, so people don't monopolize the floor
Are there any good free/cheap options for this?

I've only seen enterprise software (e.g. https://stagetimer.io/) which is way too expensive for hobbyists, and their free tiers are too restrictive to be useful.

Discord already has stage channels built in, but may still need some sort of moderator.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, interesting! We're all pretty new to Discord and had no idea this was already supported.

I'll have to look into the features, so far it seems to cover almost everything except timers (but I'm still reading the docs)
Reading more into this it seems it may only currently be available on Community Servers. Which is the only place I've seen them. Like in really big Discords for specific games for example.

**Update** Yeah, I tried to create on in the Discord I'm an admin in and there was no option for a stage channel. I guess your hunt continues.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading more into this it seems it may only currently be available on Community Servers. Which is the only place I've seen them. Like in really big Discords for specific games for examples.

**Update** Yeah, I tried to create on in the Discord I'm an admin in and there was no option for a stage channel. I guess your hunt continues.
You should be able to change any server to be a community server. You might need to be the actual server owner, however. On the ones I'm the owner for I have a "Enable Community" button in the Server Settings. Looks it does have a few other requirements like setting a few specific moderation settings and having a channel for rules that people agree to and stuff like that.