Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
We've done threads threads about great cinematography in great movies but I'd like to do something a little different. This thread is about good to even great cinematography in movies that aren't great.

I'd like to start with the recent Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

In my opinion, director JA Bayona and DP Oscar Faura made an amazing looking movie that is significantly brought down by a horrible script. With a better script, this movie could have been something real special.

17503_5_large.jpg

Jurassic-World-Fallen-Kingdom-9-1000x500.jpg

finaltrailer439hs7l.png

finaltrailer75sus1m.png

finaltrailer5917s9y.png

What are some other examples of good to great cinematography in not great movies?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
love it or hate it, Batman v Superman is gorgeous

Those JW2 screens are killer. Might have to rent it because I'm a sucker for that imagery

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
ra7WX2Sl.jpg

The movie ain't bad but it's honestly pretty boring but goddamn is the cinematography beautiful. Every second is gorgeous.
The Last Jedi has good cinematography and it's not a great movie. If that's bannable to say then ban me
Don't get mad 'cus people were calling you on your obvious bait.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Stay (2005)

Personally I love the film but it's not some well remembered classic but it is visually fantastic and has some incredible cinematography and editing. It has some of the best scene transitions ever put on film

It's a gorgeous gem.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There is a movie from 2002 called "Darkness" starring Anna Paquin that had some lovely shots from the inside of a car looking out on a rainy day stuck in traffic. The movie was shit, but that scene was shot really well.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Kingdom was exactly what I was thinking. Some really cool looking shots in an incredible dumb film.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the American remake of Let the Right One In - Let Me In, and was kinda blown away by how great the cinematography was vs. how poor the movie was. Matt Reeves went on to make the last two Apes movies, and I thought those were shot wonderfully as well, but those are great movies.

Edit: maybe poor isn't the right word, it was just unoffensive in every way, and boring.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Kingdom was exactly what I was thinking. Some really cool looking shots in an incredible dumb film.
Fallen Kingdom is maybe the only example I can think of where the directing and cinematography were both fantastic but the picture as a whole wasn't all that good because of the poor script. They squeezed every single bit of goodness they could get out of it and it still wasn't good enough.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Godzilla 2014. I liked it and I know it's polarizing, but it's stunning to look at.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Event Horizon looks beautiful in almost every way, it's an average movie though:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
These shots don't even look good though because they're not convincing. It's like every frame was sent through photoshop and touched up which makes it look fake. Look at the guy standing in front of the t-rex. He seems to be looking at that small fire in the background even though a giant t-rex literally stays in front of him, it's like urgh... It was duct taped together in post production... The last screenshot could literally be from a video game.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Michel Gondry's MOOD INDIGO.

At least the first half of that film was really good. Then it draaaaaags.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I for the life of me cannot follow the movie. The characters are too difficult to tell apart imo

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
MV5BMjQ0NDkyOTg2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk4NzcwOTE@._V1_CR0,59,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
batman-v-superman-06.jpg

batmanvsuperman_soyuz01.jpg

easily BvS for me. Incredible scenes and cinematography. probably best looking comic book movie but what a disaster the script was. at least we got the most ferocious batman ever which I love

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Batman V Superman
Spectre

Dont watch a lot bad movies unless they are big blockbusters so these are the only ones that stood out at the moment.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Besides some debatable CGI, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword had some pretty cool setpieces for such a middling film. I still stand by my opinion that somewhere underneath was a great movie covered in a midden heap.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Razorback, a schlocky Australian horror film starring a killer boar, was directed by a prominent music video director with a keen eye
razorback31.png

razorback3.jpeg

mqdefault.jpg

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion is fucking GORGEOUS. I don't think it's a bad film though. I think it's an okay film with a fucking terrible ending.