• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
blog.google

Introducing the world’s first laptops built for cloud gaming

Cloud gaming Chromebooks from Acer, ASUS and Lenovo come with features like RGB keyboard, 120Hz high res display and access to 1000+ games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6b_Z9nagpI

Chromebooks will now support three leading cloud gaming platforms — Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), NVIDIA GeForce NOW and Amazon Luna2 — bringing with them full PC and console games straight from the cloud.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm pretty sure that's the (old) Stadia UI in that vid too. Ouch.

EDIT: Whoops, I'm wrong.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
letmegooglethat.com

Let Me Google That

For all those people that find it more convenient to bother you with their question than to google it for themselves.

Someone please send this to Google

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Arent basically all potato laptops ideal for cloud gaming, since, you know... The cloud?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
For those curious:
Chromebooks will now support three leading cloud gaming platforms — Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), NVIDIA GeForce NOW and Amazon Luna2 — bringing with them full PC and console games straight from the cloud.
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Arent basically all potato laptops ideal for cloud gaming, since, you know... The cloud?
These have good Wi-Fi chips and high refresh rate displays, so while other cheap Chromebooks can cloud game just fine, these are better suited.

Though, not sure how big the market is for something like this.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could've sworn I read Google was getting out of the laptop game entirely. Maybe this'll be... fine.

RaidenXZ

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances we're going to see Game Pass Ultimate on Chromecast devices to replace Stadia? I'd be down to play off my Chromecast

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah high refresh rate doesn't seem to be a thing for streaming services yet.

edit: Damn Nvidia's service keeps blowing away the competition

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
The title seems to only be about bashing Stadia because I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other.

Jan 29, 2018
While it's fun to dunk on Google this just seems like them betting that cloud gaming will continue to be a thing even if they aren't the service provider.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always forget Luna exists. This is an interesting idea. Just not for most of the USA. The internet just isn't there yet

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
While it's fun to dunk on Google this just seems like them betting that cloud gaming will continue to be a thing even if they aren't the service provider.
But, Google's bread and butter is being a service provider. Their hardware only exists to serve that goal, which is what makes this so bizarre.
I guess they want people to buy a Chromebook to use their services aside from cloud gaming and they are marketing this use case

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
this actually isn't a bad idea but i don't think cloud gaming has reached the point yet in the US at least

this was definitely designed to be a companion to stadia and well, yeah.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
what does built for cloud gaming even really mean when the whole point is that the high end hardware is server side?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Cloud gaming services require good hardware to utilize the latest and greatest codecs.

That's why this is being advertised, and why only modern TVs support them.. and why Google didn't put Stadia on older/cheaper Chromecasts.

Probably why Chromebooks didn't really support them until now.

Just a guess though, not sure what is usually in a Chromebook.. but you'd be surprised how much horsepower VP9 for instance requires.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
These have good Wi-Fi chips and high refresh rate displays, so while other cheap Chromebooks can cloud game just fine, these are better suited.

Though, not sure how big the market is for something like this.
Someone at Google thought people that want to play at 120 fps are ok with streaming latency lol

These dudes are clueless

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I'd bet all my money that the team making those "stadia laptops" found out the same time we all did that stadia was dead.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I truly dont understand that these companies are so way off when it comes to cloud gaming.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
What's with all this "streaming hardware" now? I thought all you need is a smart screen with good wifi connection for streaming?

But I guess streaming can't really be a thing in the near future and will have to be a supplementary service. But still.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What's with all this "streaming hardware" now? I thought all you need is a smart screen with good wifi connection for streaming?

But I guess streaming can't really be a thing in the near future and will have to be a supplementary service. But still.

Chromecasts and some TVs weren't built for 120hz rates apparently.

DQss5Zbl.png

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Cloud gaming is tech-folks trying to create a market that has little to no current demand based on faulty logic that it's inevitable.

Everyone is hoping cloud gaming takes over so that the landscape changes and iOS stops being the biggest game store on the planet. Cue things like Apple combatting that w/ their policies or even Sony combatting it by not including a browser in PS5 (just a theory but I find it solid.)

But there's so many issues with the logic behind "Well every other media went to streaming, so games will to" that it may never actually happen.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Chromecasts and some TVs weren't built for 120hz rates apparently.

DQss5Zbl.png
And what cloud gaming service is actually streaming at 120FPS? What video codec even supports that? edit: Apparently GeForce Now does, which is neat! (corrected by Sullivan)

They run at 120FPS server side if they can (likely the main reason behind MS's push for 120FPS) to reduce input lag, but the video rendering on the other end is still 60FPS at best.

I think it's more the high requirements for the advanced codecs used. You need really fast decompression to have a good cloud gaming experience.. Stadia was worlds better on a Chromecast Ultra for instance because the browser version at launch didn't support the VP9 codec. Same reason only modern TVs are getting the apps.

Last edited:

BK_317

Jun 3, 2022
Makes sense honestly...if they launched it like 3-4 weeks ago then they got even more things to refund

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
And what cloud gaming service is actually streaming at 120FPS? What video codec even supports that?

They run at 120FPS server side if they can (likely the main reason behind MS's push for 120FPS) to reduce input lag, but the video rendering on the other end is still 60FPS at best.

I think it's more the high requirements for the advanced codecs used. You need really fast decompression to have a good cloud gaming experience.. Stadia was worlds better on a Chromecast Ultra for instance because the browser version at launch didn't support the VP9 codec. Same reason only modern TVs are getting the apps.
GeForce Now supports 1440p120 output.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. It's like everything that would make the experience better than a standard Chromebook, but without a decent GPU to run things locally... and that 'running locally' part is the thing that I've just never been able to get on board with when it comes to these devices. And it certainly won't entice me at those prices. I dunno... there must be an audience out there for devices like this; I'm just not even close to being it.