• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
Google has fired another round of workers in the wake of sit-in protests against Project Nimbus, a cloud computing contract the company has with the Israeli government and military, according to news reports, after nearly 30 workers at the company were fired following similar demonstrations as Israel's war with Hamas grinds on.

Google has fired at least 20 more workers in connection with protests at company offices in Sunnyvale and New York on April 16, the Verge reported.

The company has already fired 28 employees in connection with the demonstration last week.

Jane Chung, a spokesperson for No Tech for Apartheid — the activist group that organized the demonstration and is representing the workers — told the Verge the latest round of firings brings the total number of people fired in connection with the incident to more than 50.

The recent firings included "non-participating bystanders," Chung said, telling the Washington Post the firings show Google "is attempting to quash dissent, silence its workers and reassert its power over them."
A Google spokesperson confirmed to Forbes that the company had fired more workers as part of its investigation into the demonstration but stressed "every single one of those whose employment was terminated was personally and definitively involved in disruptive activity inside our buildings," something the company "carefully confirmed and reconfirmed."
"Our investigation into these events is now concluded," Google's spokesperson said.

article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...rotest-after-ceo-says-leave-politics-at-home/

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"leave politics at home except when it benefits the company" basically

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
In the sense that actively supporting *current American foreign policy* is apolitical, while suggesting that the company has the power to do otherwise is political and divisive. Sounds a lot like the CRT scare and the current conversation on Ivy league campuses. 🤔

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
"Our investigation is now concluded" is the PR equivalent of a self-high-five after checking if any of your poop slipped out of your diaper.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people are able to scrape up and keep unionizing & protesting at the company to the point where Google feels the heat over it and has to eat shit.

I can't imagine firing people over protesting genocide does well for your company culture.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
"Leave politics at home" funny because I get the feeling they don't have a problem with certain political stances or beliefs, even if expressed at work or somehow through the company itself. Doubt it would be difficult to find examples.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate that things like this generate a lot less outrage and noise than other tech centered discussions.

And saying 'leave politics at home' is certainly something when considering what the protesting is about.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, being apolitical is kinda expected in like 90% of workplaces right? Especially large corporations. But Google has at least some history of allowing their employees to express their opinions and I can't imagine this will sit well with many of them. Maybe it'll inspire more people to quit, presumably most of these people have plenty of money and wouldn't have an issue finding employment elsewhere.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation seems to be turning into this generation's 'Vietnam' as far as picking sides goes. It's ridiculous!

n0stalghia

Banned
Jan 26, 2023
Austria
User Banned (3 Months): Whitewashing genocide
This whole situation seems to be turning into this generation's 'Vietnam' as far as picking sides goes. It's ridiculous!
The only thing that's ridiculous is people supporting a region that elected a terorrist organization into power, allowed it to flourish for 17 years and is now faced with the consequences of their actions and inactions...

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, being apolitical is kinda expected in like 90% of workplaces right? Especially large corporations. But Google has at least some history of allowing their employees to express their opinions and I can't imagine this will sit well with many of them. Maybe it'll inspire more people to quit, presumably most of these people have plenty of money and wouldn't have an issue finding employment elsewhere.

Even Google's fucking Google Doodles are political.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I remember when Google was a role model of company I would like to work ... cool, relaxed, innovative, progressive, pro workers (on the surface) ... that was a long time ago ... now it has became shit ass evil just like any of the money above all giant companies ... the "don't be evil" thing was murdered and buried really deep on Google's yard.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The only thing that's ridiculous is people supporting a region that elected a terorrist organization into power, allowed it to flourish for 17 years and is now faced with the consequences of their actions and inactions...

Ok, what about Israel not putting a stop to West Bank settlements? Settlers keep killing & driving Palestinians from their homes, directly supported by the current Israeli government. Is that not terrorism, too?

Oct 28, 2017
Hamas came to power because of the decades-long Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories.

If you want to talk about consequences, why don't we talk about how Israel supported Hamas for years just so that they could continue their illegal occupation going.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, and I guess you think Israel bears no responsibility for why that happened? It's beside the point anyway because the people in Gaza are currently in an open air prison including people who were not even alive 17 years ago.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I think there's nuance to the difference between "don't support one side in this war" vs "we demand you support our side in the war."

Anti-Gaza War protests are not pro-Hamas by definition. A lot of people simply don't want their taxes and company resources being poured directly into killing people on the other side of the world.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I am not sure what the full count was but I know some of the people who protested hid their faces and didn't bring their badges to try and remain hidden. I wonder if this is that group?

Reading more sounds like they sacked people that weren't disruptive so it sounds like if you helped in anyway to plan or set this up you were out.

n0stalghia

Banned
Jan 26, 2023
Austria
How many dead children had anything to do with any of that?
Maybe the parents should've about the consequences of voting an organization that says in their founding chapter that "Jihad is the only answer"?

I think there's nuance to the difference between "don't support one side in this war" vs "we demand you support our side in the war."

Anti-Gaza War protests are not pro-Hamas by definition. A lot of people simply don't want their taxes and company resources being poured directly into killing people on the other side of the world.
I think there is no nuance to "keep politics at home" aka. "support neither side at work, do whatever you want at home". Google demanded no political protest, not support of Israel, as far as the article says.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I find it interesting how through out all the starvation, land theft and murder, you find the victims of genocide at fault.
For a vote.
After decades of oppression.
All the way since 1948.

And their oppressors, the people imposing a military occupation on them through out this time, not a party you think is worthy of blame?
After all they have killed and tortured, so many women, children and civilians dead, apparently those people are not terrorists?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the parents should've about the consequences of voting an organization that says in their founding chapter that "Jihad is the only answer"?

I think there is no nuance to "keep politics at home" aka. "support neither side at work, do whatever you want at home". Google demanded no political protest, not support of Israel, as far as the article says.
Oh, you are being serious here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Electing the gov't Bibi put together is tantamount to electing terrorists. Bibi also bolstered Hamas for many years to hurt the hopes of a two state solution so...

balohna

Nov 1, 2017

I think there is a weird phenomenon where real victims of war, whole people, are seen as pawns on the chess board allowed to be killed to punish the "real" enemies. It's fucked up. They're innocent people and they matter. It's the same attitude as people who saw kids in cages in the US and said "well, their parents shouldn't have crossed the border illegally."

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I think there is a weird phenomenon where real victims of war, whole people, are seen as pawns on the chess board allowed to be killed to punish the "real" enemies. It's fucked up. They're innocent people and they matter. It's the same attitude as people who saw kids in cages in the US and said "well, their parents shouldn't have crossed the border illegally."
I think that phenomenon is called racism/white supremacy lol.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Fascinating how you had nothing to say to my point. Material Israeli policy is West Bank settlers are supported, does that not also make Israeli actions terrorism to those in the West Bank?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a case of Google firing people for having an opinion, they were fired for taking over offices and doing sit in protests during work hours while they were supposed to be working. I applaud them (the protesters) for their bravery but what company wouldn't fire anyone who is protesting during work hours at the office - you are literally getting paid by the company to sit there and protest, those two things are incompatible with each other.

The sad thing is I bet most were younger and this is the absolute worst time to be looking for a job in the tech environment, and anyone interviewing you will know exactly what you got fired for.

Now if someone took time off and then went to the office to protest they may have actual legal standing, so hope that is the case for at least one of them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The recent firings included "non-participating bystanders," Chung said, telling the Washington Post the firings show Google "is attempting to quash dissent, silence its workers and reassert its power over them."

Hope there are lawsuits. Not buying Googles "reconfirmation"

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Directly entering into a contract with a country's military/intelligence branch (even your own) is a political position. It's only perceived as neutral/apolitical/business as usual because it is the current status quo.