• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope you like advertisements on your dashboard and in your games.

59289f0379474ce7238b499a-750-563.png

I wonder if Google will be focusing on F2P.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Why do a physical box when it's cheaper and more efficient to tap into the multi million player bases of three existing consoles that cover all the demographics? I definitely think it could be more likely as a multiplayer service

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why do a physical box when it's cheaper and more efficient to tap into the multi million player bases of three existing consoles that cover all the demographics? I definitely think it could be more likely as a multiplayer service

Cause they wanna take over the three existing consoles, not work with them/pay them

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Cool - this is really exciting. Bummer it's a month away, but I'm super intrigued to see what they cooked up.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the leverage their streaming tech with current PC clients like steam & origin and send it straight to my box. OnLive did a pretty good job of this back in the day.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

The money.

Look at how much money all three console makers are raking in. Other big tech companies are taking notice and want to take from that.

I think this is a good thing. New players coming in to shake things up is more interesting than the status quo.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It will be interesting if the current top megacorps (Google/Apple/MS/Amazon) manage to squeeze Sony out of the gaming market in the same way they managed to squeeze out smaller "purely gaming" companies like Sega in the 90s/00s. History repeats and all that.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
If this is Project Stream, I guess that's ok but not too exciting. I was in the beta and it worked well, except the one time I had some sort of lag spike. Then I got kicked out of assaassins Creed Odyssey while in the middle of a mission. Streaming is decent until you have an internet connection interruption. I would be more interested if this is a dedicated gaming box vs a streaming box.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
What are the most likely possibilities which have been rumoured? An actual console, a streaming service or a games launcher/store ?

May 9, 2018
FYI, Google and Unity have a very close relationship, so I expect the infra part of the presentation to be key.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/21/bringing-connected-games-within-reach-with-google-cloud/
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/07/27/creating-together-unity-and-google-cloud/

I would also expect some discussion about AI/TensorFlow in Unity, as that has been a pretty popular platform for testing reinforcement learning since it's free.

The Unity office is also a literal 2 blocks away from Moscone South.

Oct 31, 2017
If AAPL, GOOGL, AMZN, FB, et.al. are serious about gaming they would consider swallowing up a couple of publishers/devs. Even huge gaming behemoths like ATVI, EA market cap is not even 10% of the market cap of the former, sometimes not even 5%. Then again MSFT is in the same boat and never bought one of those so the ROI might not be there. I just feel like being this late an entrant to the gaming space would require a high risk move.

FYI, Google and Unity have a very close relationship, so I expect the infra part of the presentation to be key.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/21/bringing-connected-games-within-reach-with-google-cloud/
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/07/27/creating-together-unity-and-google-cloud/

I would also expect some discussion about AI/TensorFlow in Unity, as that has been a pretty popular platform for testing reinforcement learning since it's free.

The Unity office is also a literal 2 blocks away from Moscone South.

Would go together with TF 2.0 release, so good call.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So, we know Google hired Phil Harrison (ex-Sony, Atari, Microsoft) and Richard Marks (ex-Sony developer of PS Move and PSVR).

Any other talent we're aware of?

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Project Stream beta proves that they're willing to work with major developers, and considering that this is their own gaming platform, content is key.

I'm bracing myself for some crazy shit.

I was part of the beta and the fact that I had an 1:1 experience playing the game with very little input lag (if any) has me very excited for the service. NVIDIA NOW is another great service that works very well. We're finally at the cusp of video game streaming that will turn heads. Very exciting times. But it could come at a cost.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess MS knew this is coming so they bought out a lot of game developers.

Nintendo is trying to lock in Platinum?

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Most likely it'll be a streaming service with original Google produced games as well as third party distribution, that will be accessible on phones, laptops, tablets and a Google streaming box. Can't see them doing dedicated hardware, they seem so prefer software services. Maybe it'll be subscription service down the road but I think it'll start as a buy to play platform. Also can't see this coming to Xbox or PS but maybe Nintendo.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If this is launching this year, then the Xbox Maverick makes much more sense now.

It seems that is releasing as a preemptive measure to this and not in regards to what Sony or Nintendo is doing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably going the same way as Microsoft. Game line up will be interesting. If they don't get most games probably won't last long.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
My fucking God.

YouTube TV, YouTube Music, Google Play Music app, Play Movies and TV, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google News, Google Search engine, Google Assistant and most importantly:

The Google fucking Play Store, the world's biggest application store along with a box that can play any Bluray movie or console video game...every and any form of Entertainment available to mankind in one single box along with the biggest streaming solution to elevate your gaming experience to new heights.

This could legitimately be fucking scary.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So everyone wants to chase the whole gaming as a service/stream money,

I suspect this won't be targeted at us who own good consoles or PCs. I do wonder if they would try and imitate the switch at all.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My fucking God.

YouTube TV, YouTube Music, Google Play Music app, Play Movies and TV, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google News, Google Search engine, Google Assistant and most importantly:

The Google fucking Play Store, the world's biggest application store along with a box that can play any Bluray movie or console video game...every and any form of Entertainment available to mankind in one single box along with the biggest streaming solution to elevate your gaming experience to new heights.

This could legitimately be fucking scary.
You're describing an Android box with a game streaming app.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Google is gonna need to pull some serious punches to be able to make this work. I don't believe that even the most popular Android games available on Play Store are gonna be enough to move a new console, whatever way it works.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It will be interesting if the current top megacorps (Google/Apple/MS/Amazon) manage to squeeze Sony out of the gaming market in the same way they managed to squeeze out smaller "purely gaming" companies like Sega in the 90s/00s. History repeats and all that.

Lol at this wishful thinking. And Sega killed itself.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
MS has got the cash reserve to stay in play for quite awhile, and the streaming infrastructure in place to directly compete with Google if need be.
Yeah they have the cash but they don't have first party exclusive gems like Sony and Nintendo, the structure of development from MS is much small than Sony and Nintendo even with the new studios.

There is space for everybody. Sony and Nintendo are on a better spot. Microsoft will have heavy competition with Google and Apple.

If there is someone to be worried is Microsoft. What Sony and Nintendo do is their dna.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
From the big 5 google would be the only service i would use to stream stuff (aside psnow which i used countless times)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if they are all-in on disrupting the console space, or if this is just a few games for streaming devices.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Rocksteady's next game (timed?) exclusive to Google console?
Don't think it'll be anything THAT crazy LOL
I welcome Google entering the gaming space. As a primarily Playstation guy I'm hoping that it motivates Sony to stay humble and invest into more exclusives and an improved network/services (oh, and quieter hardware)
That goes for Nintendo with their online and MS with their first party as well (although the latter has already and are still actively making an effort to improve)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah they have the cash but they don't have first party exclusive gems like Sony and Nintendo, the structure of development from MS is much small than Sony and Nintendo even with the new studios.

There is space for everybody. Sony and Nintendo are on a better spot. Microsoft will have heavy competition with Google and Apple.

If there is someone to be worried is Microsoft. What Sony and Nintendo do is their dna.

I'm really curious about Nintendo, they have the biggest IP's ever, but they will (probably) never have a service like gamepass and psnow.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Well Google certainly has the money to stir things around, curious.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what they come out with. Project Stream ran incredibly well. Still amazing I was able to play Odyssey on my Chromebook with an ARM CPU.