• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
seems like this is fitting a new niche which is pretty cool. The question really is the hardware reliability (pixels sure seem to have all kind of hardware issues), and software stability, especially when there are quite a few pixel 3 xl users that complain about lag after a bit of usage (limitation of 4gb ram with pie?).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
seems like this is fitting a new niche which is pretty cool. The question really is the hardware reliability (pixels sure seem to have all kind of hardware issues), and software stability, especially when there are quite a few pixel 3 xl users that complain about lag after a bit of usage (limitation of 4gb ram with pie?).
Blame digital wellbeing! https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bkg89o/solved_pixel_33xl_performance_issues/

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is right up my alley considering my OG Pixel 1 is chugging and I really don't give a shit about bezels and the rest of the bells and whistles.
Three years of updates and a fuckin headphone jack is a good bargain for 400 bucks imo.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It's a sad day we these companies have brainwashed us into thinking $400 is budget priced.

Pretty much all Verizon smartphones start at this price. I'm tempted to get one for my wife. Does anyone know if the Pixels still come with unlimited Google Photos storage?

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
How's the build quality on these phones? 400 bucks is in the range for an upgrade from my old one plus 3, I just want an phone that can take a bit of beating, has a good camera and maybe a above average battery.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I guess its closest competitor is the 10E, which for about double the price ($1100CDN vs $550CDN for the regular 3a) has 256GB of storage, 8GB of memory, and a faster processor.

The memory seems like the biggest limitation as far as longevity goes. And hardware quality - I loved my Nexus 5, 6P and Pixel XL but bulletproof they were not.

Oct 25, 2017
Was tempted to trade in my Pixel 2 for this, but lack of waterproof hurts. I live in Florida and it rains every single day here during summer. My phone rarely gets wet, but I do appreciate not being concerned.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best Buy, B&H, and Google's online store are bundling $100 gift cards with the 3a.

At ~$299, it's a great choice for a budget/mid-range phone, particularly in the US. The Nokia 6.1/7.1 and Moto X4/G6/G7 can't come close to matching the picture quality (even with hacked GCam) and won't get as many updates (and have somewhat worse performance).

The downsides of the 3a relative to that competition are a somewhat higher price, big bezels, and lack of water resistance (compared to the X4).

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited about this, still rocking the Pixel XL and I honestly would keep it for longer if it wasnt for the battery dying. Getting the Pixel 3 Camera and stock android at that price is a no brainer, people will be really happy with this phone.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Price would be great BUT with Apple having AMAZING trade in deals cuts out anyone dropping Apple for a pixel.

By itself though it's not a bad alternative for kids or people short on money.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why they dropped the visual core from the phone if the camera is meant to be such a main feature.

Oct 25, 2017
México
And that's why I now buy Xiaomi phones. My wife got the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite... it has Android One (clean Android with updates directly from Google). No modified ROM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

• Snapdragon 625 (14 nm)
  • 64GB of storage
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 1080p Full HD display
  • Massive 4000 mAh battery
  • Dual SIM
  • Android One (stock Android) currently in Android 9
  • Metal build
  • Slim bezels
  • Dual camera
  • Fingerprint sensor
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiomi_mi_a2_lite-review-1804.php

And I bought it for $180 USD. And it's Xiaomi (excellent brand). Sure, there is a few compromoses like no USB C, waterprooing and NFC, but for the price is worth it. I'm waiting for the Mi A3 Lite myself.

gsmarena_008.jpg

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Price would be great BUT with Apple having AMAZING trade in deals cuts out anyone dropping Apple for a pixel.

My wife needs an iPhone upgrade, though I've never seen more than the most paltry of upgrade deals from Apple ($100, maybe $200 if you're lucky).

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Was the Nexus 5 considered flagship at the time?

Damn I miss this days lol. My 5 lasted me a while.
It was kinda the OnePlus _ of its era. Same processor as the most expensive phones, plus a good screen, but compromises in a few other areas. Mainly the camera and the battery if I remember right. I can't remember if fingerprint sensors were standard on Android flagships at the time.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad to see Google is getting back into the good quality/cheap price phone market BUT I've just looked at their Web store and it costs £399 in the UK. Prices are getting ridiculous here compared to to US prices.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, with that $100 gift card I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bite and upgrade. I'm upgrading from a Nexus5x, so it's been awhile. Pretty sure I'll be happy with this.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
so looks like T-Mobile is giving $400 trade in credit for Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 and XL 2.

I'm considering trading in my XL 2 but will probably wait and hope they do the same promo next year for the 4a.

Though two things... I have an annoying surface scratch on my XL 2. If they'd give me full credit that would push me. Also T-Mobile's indoor reception isn't the best, but it is helped with phones with newer bands. I believe the 3 has the necessary bands for better indoor reception. Anyone know if the 3a has the same bands as the 3?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah no. The Apple trade-in deals aren't amazing if I'm trading in an iPhone 7 and still paying $450 + tax for the iPhone XR vs sell my iPhone for $150-$200 and get the Pixel for $250 after tax.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see Google is getting back into the good quality/cheap price phone market BUT I've just looked at their Web store and it costs £399 in the UK. Prices are getting ridiculous here compared to to US prices.

Isn't that including VAT already? US price doesn't have tax included yet.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
T-Mobile is offering this phone for free with select trade-ins, including many phones available refurbished for less than $399 on Amazon right now.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I was almost set on shelling out for an S10e, but with a $100 gift card card bringing the regular 3a to $299 essentially, (less than half the cost of an s10e) or the XL to the regular price of a 3a I may bite on this instead and just not sit on it for as many years as I would the S10.

Now just to decide between the 3a and 3aXL. Probably just the 3a since I was looking more at the s10e due to the size.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that including VAT already? US price doesn't have tax included yet.

I don't know but most times you see a US dollar figure and there is usually £100 difference, more recently £50. £400 is not a budget phone price in the UK. It prices itself out of the cheap phone market but isn't enough for the high end market.

Oct 25, 2017
so looks like T-Mobile is giving $400 trade in credit for Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 and XL 2.

I'm considering trading in my XL 2 but will probably wait and hope they do the same promo next year for the 4a.

Though two things... I have an annoying surface scratch on my XL 2. If they'd give me full credit that would push me. Also T-Mobile's indoor reception isn't the best, but it is helped with phones with newer bands. I believe the 3 has the necessary bands for better indoor reception. Anyone know if the 3a has the same bands as the 3?

Is the 3a XL even an upgrade to the 2 xl? Camera is possibly better. And headphone jack. Other stuff is a hit

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018
Any good UK deals for the 3a kicking about? That US deal with the $100 voucher sounds great, would love a UK equivalent!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when we getting good budget phones for from 99 to 199?

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
what I'm confused by is the return of the 3.5mm jack.

If the Pixel 4 doesn't have it, then it's a bit of a mess. Why does a mid range have a key feature that the flagship doesn't?

Why did they remove in the first place?

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Is this going to be available on Amazon? Trying to find a unlocked phone with T-Mobile bands preferably under $400 with US warranty, but the only ones considered a good deal are Moto G7 and Honor View 10. I really hope this is on Amazon as well.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Is this going to be available on Amazon? Trying to find a unlocked phone with T-Mobile bands preferably under $400 with US warranty, but the only ones considered a good deal are Moto G7 and Honor View 10. I really hope this is on Amazon as well.

Do you have an Amazon gift card or something? T-Mobile is carrying the phone in store. They also have a good trade in deal.