• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Are Pixels ever switching to utlrasonic fingerprint sensors? Anyway, I like the design change, but I'm not interested in upgrading until at least the Pixel 10 Pro hits. Hopefully Google's truly customer SoC will be worth it.

A funny question I had was when Google will make phones, and services, good enough to convince actual Googlers not to use Iphones haha?

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A funny question I had was when Google will make phones, and services, good enough to convince actual Googlers not to use Iphones haha.

The biggest thing missing for me in Pixels / Android over iOS are native Google Home widgets that let me control my smart home appliances and thermostat - absolutely nuts that Google doesn't support this yet considering Android widgets are otherwise better than iOS's in a lot of other ways. That native HomeKit support via widget and via control center is too helpful for my lifestyle.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
Adoring my Pixel 8 Pro so far - the camera is unreal and a total game changer at work since it can zoom in a lot and cleanly. I can't imagine the camera getting much better

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As a Googler, probably because Google compared to Apple has a very open culture. Apple is well known to have a very secretive culture as as Google is much more open.
Apple has leaks already though.

Please make a smol phone like my S23 or the Pixel 5. Cheers.
The regular Pixel 8 isn't that much bigger than the S23, and I say this as someone who doesn't want a big phone. If push comes to shove, I could see myself tolerating a Pixel 8. Assuming they keep it consistent, same with the Pixel 9.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Rumors stated Pro model was supposed to go back to a 6.1" screen, what the eff lol. I don't need these almost 7" wide screens.

As always I will wait for reviews since Google QC is all over the place with Pixels. That and the inevitable Black Friday sale price...

Currently back on iPhone, but would love to go back to Pixel. Have owned almost every one at some point or another - my Pixel 5 is still going strong since I use it to upload my iPhone pics to maintain my free storage hehe

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck sake - do something different.

I liked that with pixel 6 to 8 google was finally doing their own thing with the horizontal camera bar. It was starting to look like a singature look.

Going back to iphone 4 apple design is infinitely more boring and I'd rather get an apple phone instead of a copycat.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
I am currently on a Pixel 6 (regular) and my contract is running out soon, I've been looking to upgrade to a Pixel 8.

Can Pixel owners in here fill me in on whether or not that upgrade makes sense, or are expecting some major changes for the Pixel 9?

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
This time it's the Pixel 9:

View: https://x.com/9to5Google/status/1750212154710491287?s=20

The big news this time around is that the smaller Pixel 9 is apparently getting three cameras. The cameras show up in the exact same layout as the Pixel 9 Pro renders, and it's pretty obvious that the third is a telephoto lens using a periscope design. That's evidenced by the rectangular shape seen in the render. This is great news for those who prefer a smaller device but don't want to give up a camera sensor.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing missing for me in Pixels / Android over iOS are native Google Home widgets that let me control my smart home appliances and thermostat - absolutely nuts that Google doesn't support this yet considering Android widgets are otherwise better than iOS's in a lot of other ways. That native HomeKit support via widget and via control center is too helpful for my lifestyle.

Aren't those available when you pull down the controls from the top of the screen? I switched over to iOS from android but I'm 100% confident I controlled all of my smart home stuff in the drawer that you pull down from the top of the screen. I loved it, it's something I really miss on iOS, having to go into the Google home app to get those controls. They also had dynamic sliders for lights, thermostat, etc, not just on"m/off. I used the Google home app to set them up

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Recently picked up a Pixel 6a for $299. Best phone I've ever owned (I've been on budget phones since forever). It feels really amazing for the price, and it's a low/mid tier Pixel at this point. I'll be sticking with Pixels for the foreseeable future.
Only thing I don't like about these designs is the camera part sticking out so much - I don't like it resting on tables and being more exposed. You'd basically want a case to make it more flush/protect it which would ultimately make the whole thing a lot bulkier.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Ugh I hate the rounded design and that horrible rounded camera bump. One of the things I loved the most about Pixels is that they bucked the rounded off corners trend and were still making boxy phones.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't those available when you pull down the controls from the top of the screen? I switched over to iOS from android but I'm 100% confident I controlled all of my smart home stuff in the drawer that you pull down from the top of the screen. I loved it, it's something I really miss on iOS, having to go into the Google home app to get those controls. They also had dynamic sliders for lights, thermostat, etc, not just on"m/off. I used the Google home app to set them up

I could set up and locate on-device control center toggle/sliders for my MIL's Pixel 8 (like brightness, volume, etc) but I couldn't find any way to add widgets or OS-level toggles/sliders for Google Home devices. Those were only in the Google Home app. I may have well missed something but I know for certain that Home was not a Widget option when adding a Widget, where HomeKit now allows for auto or custom iOS widgets.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I could set up and locate on-device control center toggle/sliders for my MIL's Pixel 8 (like brightness, volume, etc) but I couldn't find any way to add widgets or OS-level toggles/sliders for Google Home devices. Those were only in the Google Home app. I may have well missed something but I know for certain that Home was not a Widget option when adding a Widget, where HomeKit now allows for auto or custom iOS widgets.

I think this oughta walk thru it:

I don't have an android phone anymore but up until I switched 6mos ago on android this was still a think.

Where the device controls are you press the edit wand, and it'll let you add any smart devices you've added to google home there (and I think other smart home control apps too). I definitely used to use this a lot.

I don't have HomeKit setup yet, probably gotta go thru that on my iPhone and iPad. I just have the Google home app and it's fine for now but I'd like something g that's more native to the os for sure.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I actually liked the aspect ratio on the original Fold. Still, if the camera is on par with the P8 Pro, as well as battery life and performance, it will be tempting.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do people really like the big camera lump that makes your phone impossible to lay flat on its back? I found that shit so annoying on my Zenfone 9 that I stuck rubber feet on the back of the case so it'd sit level.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/AndroidAuth/status/1772979445021753852?s=20
This corroborates our Pixel roadmap leak from 2022. Back then, we mentioned that the Pixel 9 could have a 6.1-inch display similar to the Pixel 8. The Pixel 9 Pro with the codename "caiman" would have all the expected Pro Pixel features in a smaller 6.3-inch display and correspondingly sized body. Then there would be the larger Pixel 9 Pro XL with the device codename "komodo" and a 6.7-inch display.
So now it's:

Pixel 9 - 6.1
Pixel 9 Pro - 6.3
Pixel 9 Pro XL Biggie Size - 6.7

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hmm I do find my 6 Pro to be a bit too big at 6.7 so unless the Pro XL has some exclusive features I would lose going with the normal Pro might go for that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice.

What is the unlock mechanism for the newest Pixels? Fingerprint on/under the screen, face unlock, some combo?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they need to start making Fold mainstream, improve on it. there is something there!

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
put me in the camp of those getting iPhone vibes. with the screen turned off, people may look at it and even think it is an iPhone, and I think that's what Google wants.

when I had my Pixel 4 XL, a person next to me with an iPhone 11 series phone said that looked like an iPhone too.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about the telephoto and would rather have the smallest display size but if there's a RAM difference (and there probably will be) it's going to gimp future versions of Gemini.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Ooo that 9 Pro sounds nice. I'd even be ok with a smaller screen than that. But, 6.3 is better than the 6.7 so I'd take it

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
6.1 inch Pixel 9 means that if Samsung ever pisses me off, I can get a Pixel. Google just needs to copy all of Samsung's Good Lock features first.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
God I hate pinhole front cameras so much. I wish we could go back to front cameras and speaker grills above the screen.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Very happy with my Pixel 7, outside of the lack of telephoto lens - but I didn't want a massive phone. Pixel 9 pro looks great to me.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
now if I can get a solid confirmation on qi2 then im sold on that pro xl will jump from the 7pro. But Im also interested in the fold 2 as a potential first foldable for me