ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know. To be fair, though, the only "problem" I ever had with GPM and AA was that you had to make a playlist for an album and making a playlist was, well, annoying (which just doing it now is more or less the same as GPM, for better or worse). You couldn't just select an album (or better, a folder) despite, ya know, albums having album tags. Sometimes I just want to play an ELO album while I drive, but I don't want a billion damned playlists to scroll through on my car's screen.

Yea, not being able to scroll through my album is the main issue I have with GPM. The other is very limited number of curated playlist you could select from. You can scroll through your albums in YTM although there is a limit of number of albums it shows, like maybe 50 or so -.-

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no other way to upload to YTM other than their little upload option (select files via pop-up window)? I have a lot and that GPM scanning tool was useful.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Apple Music seems to be the best alternative to GPM for uploading your own music and having it integrate into your library. The current limit is 100,000 songs, but I'm pretty sure Apple Music songs count towards that as well. Still, I don't think most people's libraries will ever get close to that size.

Anyway, looks like you can initiate the transfer to Youtube Music now even if you haven't received the prompt through here: https://music.youtube.com/transfer
Does it still require that you pay $25 a year to access your own music that you upload?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no other way to upload to YTM other than their little upload option (select files via pop-up window)? I have a lot and that GPM scanning tool was useful.

There isn't other way, at least for now. It's easier to just upload to GPM and trasnfer.

Also it seems like Google as updated some things on the support page. https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en
Things to know about music uploads:
  • Your music uploads will not influence your music recommendations in YouTube Music.
  • Music you have uploaded can only be played by you; other YouTube Music users will not have access to your uploads.
  • If you share a playlist with another user that contains music you uploaded, they will not be able to play the uploaded songs in your playlist - including members of your Google or YouTube family plan.
  • You can play uploaded songs in the background, ad-free and offline - even if you are not currently a YouTube Music Premium subscriber.
  • YouTube Music Premium members can also cast uploaded content or play it from smart speakers and Sonos.
  • All YouTube Music users can create playlists containing uploaded music and songs from YouTube Music.
  • Only audio files and their associated metadata and album art can be uploaded. Video files, PDFs, and other types of content are not supported.
  • YouTube Music will automatically remove duplicate copies from your library if the same content is uploaded multiple times.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
About this sub needed for casting thing, I assume that is in effect even if you download your uploaded tracks to your phone? Still no casting?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Casting is streaming from the net generally, so downloading locally to phone should have no effect.

Oct 25, 2017
Does it still require that you pay $25 a year to access your own music that you upload?
No, it's included with the Apple Music monthly sub. Obviously you wouldn't have access to your uploads if you stopped paying for that though. It's not a replacement for the free google play music uploads, but does allow you to integrate uploads with the rest of Apple's streaming library like GPM.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The YouTube channel you're currently using isn't supported for the Google Play Music transfer.

They can't even get the transfer right SMH.
If you have a Youtube brand account it can't be used for the transfer.

Thankfully, all my music is currently being moved to a sub-account connected to the same email.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Google really needs to make YTM as good as Google Music if they're going to force people to switch.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Well the transfer option actually worked for me, and I'm able to see and stream all of my uploaded music on the YT music app. That's nice at least.

Now, is it possible to continue to upload custom music and have it accessible via the cloud directly to YT Music?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Also- I'm looking in the "downloads" section.
Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

What does 500 songs mean?

If that's the limit see ya!
I have a 512GB SD card.

Sucks that I have to re-download everything.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Simple question...
The transfer library link above worked for me, but I did not start doing it for one simple reason...
If I choose to do the transfer does that mean I can no longer access Google Play Music, or will I be able to use both until it shuts down?

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite things about Play Music is my recently uploaded music showing up in the main recents page so I don't have to go searching for them. YT Music doesn't do this. Not to mention when you go search by artist it just gives you one long list of songs from every album by the artist instead of listing all of the albums first.

Asinine.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Simple question...
The transfer library link above worked for me, but I did not start doing it for one simple reason...
If I choose to do the transfer does that mean I can no longer access Google Play Music, or will I be able to use both until it shuts down?

Curious to know this as well

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Simple question...
Curious to know this as well

This Verge article seems to indicate that you can use Google Play Music after the transfer, but that the two services do not auto-sync. If you make any changes to your library, ratings, playlists, etc. on GPM, you'll need to use the same transfer process to re-sync your changes to Youtube Music. Apparently, the good news is that it does a differential sync, meaning it doesn't have to re-do the whole thing from scratch each time.

I just started the transfer, and it seems it's going to take a few hours. If you're extra paranoid, wait until later tonight. I'll try making a change in GPM once I'm transferred. I'll see if the whole re-sync process works as advertised, and report back.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
This Verge article seems to indicate that you can use Google Play Music after the transfer, but that the two services do not auto-sync. If you make any additions to your library, ratings, playlists, etc. on GPM, you'll need to use the same transfer process to re-sync your changes to Youtube Music. Apparently, the good news is that it does a differential sync, meaning it doesn't have to re-do the whole thing from scratch each time.

I just started the transfer, and it seems it's going to take a few hours. If you're extra paranoid, wait until later tonight. I'll try making a change in GPM once I'm transferred. I'll see if the whole re-sync process works as advertised, and report back.
Thanks that would be great. I want to try YT music but I'm not willing to blow up my GPM to do so since I use it pretty much constantly everyday.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
This Verge article seems to indicate that you can use Google Play Music after the transfer, but that the two services do not auto-sync. If you make any changes to your library, ratings, playlists, etc. on GPM, you'll need to use the same transfer process to re-sync your changes to Youtube Music. Apparently, the good news is that it does a differential sync, meaning it doesn't have to re-do the whole thing from scratch each time.

Thank you!!!

I will also take your advice and wait to do it until I got to sleep. Just let it go overnight. I have uploaded a whole, whole lot of music over the years, most of it more obscure punk rock and hardcore music that it just not on a lot of these services, so I anticipate it is going to take awhile.

I did figure if you could use both it would be something like that with the syncing if you made any changes. Pretty great you can do the transfer process again if you do make changes and it should only be what you have changed. If you could report back once you tested it, would be hugely appreciated.

Again, thank you for the detailed reply! Super appreciated.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Google really needs to make YTM as good as Google Music if they're going to force people to switch.

They are trying to make it more Spodify like and less Apple music like. So I don't think that there will be complete feature parity.

I will also take your advice and wait to do it until I got to sleep. Just let it go overnight. I have uploaded a whole, whole lot of music over the years, most of it more obscure punk rock and hardcore music that it just not on a lot of these services, so I anticipate it is going to take awhile.

It could take a few days if your library is huge. Mine took 3 days but you can just keep using the service while it's working on the transfer.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Well the transfer option actually worked for me, and I'm able to see and stream all of my uploaded music on the YT music app. That's nice at least.

Now, is it possible to continue to upload custom music and have it accessible via the cloud directly to YT Music?

There's an "Upload Music" option on the desktop version of YouTube Music. It's browser-only, there isn't a separate uploader program like GPM.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Is there noway to edit your Uploaded Music's info.
I had to do it on the actual file

Oct 25, 2017
México
Also- I'm looking in the "downloads" section.
Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

What does 500 songs mean?

If that's the limit see ya!
I have a 512GB SD card.

Sucks that I have to re-download everything.
The 500 songs is for the smart download feature. It automatically downloads music to a specially playlist so you can always have music in case your internet is down.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
youtube music is a downgrade from GPM in every possible way

say it with me, everyone

Oct 26, 2017
I'm reading this for the first time. Just wow.

I use GPM purely just to play my uploaded music on multiple devices. It astounds me how Google hasn't taken a big hit on their reputation for abandoning so many services with relatively short notice. Microsoft got their reputation flushed down the toilet in the early 2000s for far less.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

I use GPM purely just to play my uploaded music on multiple devices. It astounds me how Google hasn't taken a big hit on their reputation for abandoning so many services with relatively short notice. Microsoft got their reputation flushed down the toilet in the early 2000s for far less.

I think it happens so much at this point that everyone is just happy google.com still exists and businesses are kind of happy with adwords.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

It's kind of shitty. They said GPM would eventually go away ~4 years ago, but they didn't allow you to transfer until recently. Also if you don't follow tech news you won't find out until the deadline has almost arrived.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

They haven't taken a hit? Not sure about that, just look at how many people are staying away from Stadia.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So either my library is not as big as I thought it was, it somehow has to do with my internet (I have FIOS Gigabit) which I highly doubt, or I happened to have the hamsters spinning the wheel to myself on Googles servers, but it only took 26 minutes to transfer everything.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to see how many songs in total I have, but I have yet to discover it.

One thing I will say is I do not mind the overall look. That right now is about the only somewhat positive thing I can say.

Right out of the gate, does YTMusic not have a Recents like GPM has??

Also is there no way to explore recent actual releases in just one genre? What I mean is either look at artists or albums or even singles??
All I am seeing when I click on a genre under Explore is playlists. Playlist after playlist. I feel like with GPM I eventually got to explore artists, but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Also I am quickly seeing how my old man taste in music fairs in the real world. It is criminal to me that D.I.T.C., one of the greatest hip hop collectives of my era, currently has a measly 1.12k subscribers.

It also needs an easy way to subscribe to a band under "Fans might also like" as right now you need to click on the round thumbnail in order to click Subscribe unless I am missing something.

GPM may have been very basic, but it was a basic I was used to. I am no doubt also that old man that hates change, especially when I have been with something since Day 1. If it was not for the fact I do not see adds on regular YT, I would just tell my wife to upgrade to Spotify family or whatever it is called, and honestly I still may do it and keep this for the no ads and when I use my Google Homes and Google Hubs around the house. Meh.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Right out of the gate, does YTMusic not have a Recents like GPM has??

Go to library and there's "last played" listed if you have played something before, it doesn't show you recent adds.

Also is there no way to explore recent actual releases in just one genre? What I mean is either look at artists or albums or even singles??

Yea I don't think there's a way at least right now. It's evident that they have not yet implement any kind of subcategory selection. It could change, a lot of stuff you see now weren't even there just a couple months ago.

However, if you are subscribed to or tell it you like an artist, new stuff generally show up when they get released. YT UI is fluid in that the main page changes all the time. Not great if you are the type who knows exactly what you want to listen to.

Also, if there's official curated list for an artist you like, I tend to just use those because usually the newest stuff will just get added there automatically since it's based on "The most played hits and essential tracks".

I think anyone wants YTM to work exactly like GPM will be disappointed. It's basically music focused Youtube. But it also needs to be trained to be somewhat useful. In that regard I don't think it's that different from Spotify, at least the way I use the service.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

say it with me, everyone
I'm starting to adjust... but then something drags me back down like the fact I'll be listening to music, and it'll randomly play some random youtuber gamer remix or I can't easily find the full album playlist to something I could easily in GPM.

There are a few perks... but if I want to just turn on music and then not have to worry about random youtube poop popping into it, GPM was a million times better.

....... though I did tell it to play just my youtube likes once, and it brought back some songs I hadn't heard that I had liked 10+ years ago which I thought was pretty cool.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Yep. I got my personal music working so Im a little less pissed off, but I want feature parity followed by improvements asap. Im not going to be especially patient here. This shit is annoying.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you have to have premium to download music you uploaded from your PC down to your device? Wtf this was free on GPM. I dont want to have to stream.

Oct 27, 2017
I reeeeally hate the interface for YouTube Music. I signed up for Apple Music with my wife's school email so it's only $5 a month and it's just much better. May as well get started now and adjust I guess.

Kind of tired of Google tbh. They make it so hard to want to support their products.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Wait, you have to have premium to download music you uploaded from your PC down to your device? Wtf this was free on GPM. I dont want to have to stream.

That doesn't sound right. Uploaded music should be downloadable without having a subscription. Are you in the "Uploads" section?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
maaaaan fuck this shit.

I had audiogalaxy which let me stream my digital library on my computer to my phone, but then Google bought them out and that tech was just dismantled and to use google music you have to upload files - ridiculous ask based on my collection. Now this.

Sometimes technology just regresses.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
On this page, if you click the dropdown for Google Play Music, it should tell you how many songs and playlists you have.
Thanks. A little over 12,000. I thought I had much more.
Go to library and there's "last played" listed if you have played something before, it doesn't show you recent adds.

Yea I don't think there's a way at least right now. It's evident that they have not yet implement any kind of subcategory selection. It could change, a lot of stuff you see now weren't even there just a couple months ago.

However, if you are subscribed to or tell it you like an artist, new stuff generally show up when they get released. YT UI is fluid in that the main page changes all the time. Not great if you are the type who knows exactly what you want to listen to.

Also, if there's official curated list for an artist you like, I tend to just use those because usually the newest stuff will just get added there automatically since it's based on "The most played hits and essential tracks".

I think anyone wants YTM to work exactly like GPM will be disappointed. It's basically music focused Youtube. But it also needs to be trained to be somewhat useful. In that regard I don't think it's that different from Spotify, at least the way I use the service.
Thank you for this.
You knew exactly why I was asking about recents. I liked the fact that if I uploaded my own music in GPM it would show up under Recents. If I was uploading something it was because I wanted to listen to it, so that will take some getting used to.

Now that you explain it is more like YouTube itself, which makes a whole lot of damn sense since it is YouTube after-all, I do get how it is going to work. Just not sure I am down for it. Will give it a few months though no doubt. I have already begun Subscribing to as many artists that I like as I can in an effort to hope improve the algorithms that determine what I will hopefully dig. Just not sure with my older, definitely somewhat varied taste, if it is going to deliver. Only time will tell, and I am willing to give it some time. Basically I have no choice.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it. It totally makes sense the way you broke it down. So I appreciate it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
maaaaan fuck this shit.

I had audiogalaxy which let me stream my digital library on my computer to my phone, but then Google bought them out and that tech was just dismantled and to use google music you have to upload files - ridiculous ask based on my collection. Now this.

Sometimes technology just regresses.

If you just want to stream music hosted on your own computer, couldn't you use Plex or Subsonic for that? Subsonic in particular is free, and it's a one-time cost to unlock all the premium features from what I remember.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I still haven't seen the option to transfer my library?