Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
If it isn't broke don't fix it. My god. Why do I have to deal with this shit.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So when using YouTube Music, does all your music playlists still get added with all your regular video playlists on YouTube like it was doing at the beginning? Cause that alone is a deal breaker for me... I actually use a lot the playlists for videos on YouTube so I don't want all that stuff to get mixed up together.

TomPUH

Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean they'll finally add specific playlist playback support on Google Home devices now? Mine can still only play "Your Mix" with YouTube music.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
So when using YouTube Music, does all your music playlists still get added with all your regular video playlists on YouTube like it was doing at the beginning? Cause that alone is a deal breaker for me... I actually use a lot the playlists for videos on YouTube so I don't want all that stuff to get mixed up together.

You can make multiple YouTube "channels" within a single Google Account. It's super easy and I don't know why they don't promote that feature more.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is because I use a separate channel for YT Music. You just have to select it once when you open the app for the first time and then you never have to think about it again.

Oct 29, 2017
You can make multiple YouTube "channels" within a single Google Account. It's super easy and I don't know why they don't promote that feature more.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is because I use a separate channel for YT Music. You just have to select it once when you open the app for the first time and then you never have to think about it again.

Probably worth noting that it's been mentioned that importing music from GPM won't won't if you're not importing to your main channel.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Probably worth noting that it's been mentioned that importing music from GPM won't won't if you're not importing to your main channel.

Oh, that's pretty unfortunate. And really really dumb.

I guess I was accidentally not affected because my primary Youtube channel is the alternate (my "Unknownlight" channel as opposed to my real name channel).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Ah good to know, thanks!

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
So, who is switching to Spotify?

I know I hate YouTube music and have been jealous of the social/sharing features of Spotify. Ideally I'd just keep using gpmaa, but that's not an option. Pretty frustrated with Google and don't want to support this forced change to a worse service. I've noticed gaps in music available between yt and gpmaa. A couple albums have seemingly disappeared from gpmaa for no reason, but are still on yt music... and any time I've looked into switching TO yt music it has been missing stuff... I'm not sure what Google is doing anymore, but it's annoying...

Oct 27, 2017
I tried using YouTube Music for the past week. It's complete garbage.
If/when they shut down Google Music they can fuck off. I'll find some other app.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still not offering me the option to transfer. Been a google music subscriber since forever.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

Ah good to know. I sort of figured that could be the case so I've setup that way long long time ago. Plus who wants their google identity on YT?

They're still not offering me the option to transfer. Been a google music subscriber since forever.

Their roll out takes weeks. I am day 1 subscriber and still don't have the option. On the other hand, you are less likely to run into issues if you get it later.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's finally the time for me to set up my own music streaming server after using GPM since the early beta period. Maybe I won't subscribe to any other all access service either, change my listening/purchase habits a bit.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is the youtube music app/site complete shit or is it just me? if i add an album to my library, go to my library, artists and click on the artist whose album i added...there's no section of only the music i've added like there is on google play. there's so much loading when scrolling down artist/album/song lists where there's pretty much none on google play. i can't even sort alphabetically on the desktop site.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Because of this news, I fired up my Google Play app on my phone, and man, I forgot how cool the interface was.
I had already uploaded almost half my CD collection into Play, so I have quite a bit of content on there, so it's bummer that it's going away.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
is the youtube music app/site complete shit or is it just me? if i add an album to my library, go to my library, artists and click on the artist whose album i added...there's no section of only the music i've added like there is on google play. there's so much loading when scrolling down artist/album/song lists where there's pretty much none on google play. i can't even sort alphabetically on the desktop site.

Desktop interface is definitely behind compared to the mobile app unfortunately. Alphabetical sorting is available in the mobile app. If you still have "hotlist" section it's the older interface.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Desktop interface is definitely behind compared to the mobile app unfortunately. Alphabetical sorting is available in the mobile app. If you still have "hotlist" section it's the older interface.

i still have hotlist on both my mobile and desktop. android doesn't have the update yet?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
i still have hotlist on both my mobile and desktop. android doesn't have the update yet?

They started rolling out a couple weeks ago so it sounds like you haven't got it. My mobile app has explore tab instead of hotlist, but my webapp remains the same old interface.

9to5google.com

[Update: Complete on Android] YouTube Music widely rolls out redesigned Now Playing UI

More than other services, Google's latest streaming service heavily leverages A/B tests when introducing new features. YouTube Music Now Playing...

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
So, who is switching to Spotify?

I know I hate YouTube music and have been jealous of the social/sharing features of Spotify. Ideally I'd just keep using gpmaa, but that's not an option. Pretty frustrated with Google and don't want to support this forced change to a worse service. I've noticed gaps in music available between yt and gpmaa. A couple albums have seemingly disappeared from gpmaa for no reason, but are still on yt music... and any time I've looked into switching TO yt music it has been missing stuff... I'm not sure what Google is doing anymore, but it's annoying...
Switch to Spotify? Nahh. £12 a month for Youtube Music and Youtube Premium is a bit too good to pass up, even if YTM's interface is a bit cack sometimes.

I noticed gaps in the catalogue too, but usually the song was there in some other way, like a youtube video, so you could at least listen to it. It was annoying at first, but they have gone back and filled a number of those gaps (I haven't checked everything I saw was missing when I first started using it, but the ones I did check have been filled).
My only gripe with YTM is that it pulls from your Youtube history as well s YTM when making your offline mixtape. So now I have Seagulls (Stop it now), Dumb Ways To Die, and The Periodic Table Song along with my usual mix of Retrowave and Indie Rock.
(I'm too lazy to make my own playlists.)

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
Switch to Spotify? Nahh. £12 a month for Youtube Music and Youtube Premium is a bit too good to pass up, even if YTM's interface is a bit cack sometimes.

I noticed gaps in the catalogue too, but usually the song was there in some other way, like a youtube video, so you could at least listen to it. It was annoying at first, but they have gone back and filled a number of those gaps (I haven't checked everything I saw was missing when I first started using it, but the ones I did check have been filled).
My only gripe with YTM is that it pulls from your Youtube history as well s YTM when making your offline mixtape. So now I have Seagulls (Stop it now), Dumb Ways To Die, and The Periodic Table Song along with my usual mix of Retrowave and Indie Rock.
(I'm too lazy to make my own playlists.)
I don't want gaps in the library filled in with unofficial uploads of unknown quality 😬.

And I don't think YouTube music gives YouTube premium in Canada 😭

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want gaps in the library filled in with unofficial uploads of unknown quality 😬.

And I don't think YouTube music gives YouTube premium in Canada 😭

It's the other way around... YouTube premium includes music.

We watch YT too much that we'll just put up with short comings of YTM and hope it will improve in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
any playlist you have on youtube that has music should already show up on YTM. there's a delay on syncing tho from Youtube and YTM if you create a new one, the delay is like 1 minute up to 5ish

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh, that's pretty unfortunate. And really really dumb.

I guess I was accidentally not affected because my primary Youtube channel is the alternate (my "Unknownlight" channel as opposed to my real name channel).
I'm in the same boat, luckily
but man this is all fucking terrible. google sucks so much

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has successfully transfered their GPM playlist to Spotify?

I'm thinking of just switching right now and fuck Google but I don't want to have to re-create all my playlists from scratch...

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Last time I tried YTM the audio quality was noticeably worse than GPM - is that still an issue?

Oct 28, 2017
I use Play Music as my day-to-day music player for songs I've uploaded, but on YT Music, I can't even use another app, let alone turn the screen off. I don't see any benefit at all to switch.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I use Play Music as my day-to-day music player for songs I've uploaded, but on YT Music, I can't even use another app, let alone turn the screen off. I don't see any benefit at all to switch.

I assume you don't have subscription? Background play is locked behind paywall. Maybe except the files that is local on your device.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Signed up again with Spotify after catching wind of this. Hate YouTube Music. Hadn't used Spotify in 10 years. It's great rediscovering old playlists again.

Oct 28, 2017
I assume you don't have subscription? Background play is locked behind paywall. Maybe except the files that is local on your device.
Yes. I didn't want to pay to listen to my own music. I did find another cloud player though, so I've got an alternative. I'm hoping they don't remove the Play Music app from my phone. I don't mind if they don't update it.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
As thing's currently stand the only positive thing I can say about YouTube music is that I got a free nest mini because my Google music subscription also gives me access to YouTube music premium.

My view may change when I can transfer all my playlists and what not but I think that is unlikely, I already use YouTube as little as possible as I really despise how the platform is moderated so I will only watch videos on there if it is really necessary, I presume any song played would also count as a view on a video and probably makes them some kind of revenue. I know it probably seems like quite petty reasoning seeing as Google own Music and YouTube and my subscription ends up in the same tax free offshore account somewhere but its about the only form of protest I have where the other options are run by equally horrible tech companies.

I think I'm much more likely to resubscribe to Spotify which has its own issues but probably does less harm than YouTube.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Foobar2000 is great on Android. It has local playback and DLNA support and no weird limitations like most free apps. I suppose you could point it to a cloud server, but I haven't tried (it looks to support it).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Yes. I didn't want to pay to listen to my own music. I did find another cloud player though, so I've got an alternative. I'm hoping they don't remove the Play Music app from my phone. I don't mind if they don't update it.

I'm confused. You can listen to your own music (uploaded and device files) without paying on YT Music. It's no different than Play Music's system. What issue were you running into?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. You can listen to your own music (uploaded and device files) without paying on YT Music. It's no different than Play Music's system. What issue were you running into?
I can listen to music (from a YT playlist as I've not got the transfer update yet) with the app open and my phone unlocked. As soon as I switch to another app or lock the screen, the music playback stops. It seems like that functionality only works if I subscribe, which I'm not going to do.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
I still do not have access to the transfer tool. I wonder how much longer it'll be for my turn?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I can listen to music (from a YT playlist as I've not got the transfer update yet) with the app open and my phone unlocked. As soon as I switch to another app or lock the screen, the music playback stops. It seems like that functionality only works if I subscribe, which I'm not going to do.

Oh. That's exactly the same as how Play Music works, except that Play Music doesn't allow you to play music you don't personally own at all without a subscription, whether the screen is on or off.

Edit: Hold up, I'm wrong. I forgot about Play Music's "radio stations". Those you could play with the screen off with intermittent ads.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Oh. That's exactly the same as how Play Music works, except that Play Music doesn't allow you to play music you don't personally own at all without a subscription, whether the screen is on or off.

Edit: Hold up, I'm wrong. I forgot about Play Music's "radio stations". Those you could play with the screen off with intermittent ads.
Ah. So once I transfer my own music over, it should work as a normal MP3 player like Play Music does for my own music.