Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Google's PR around Stadia has always come across as robotic and lacking actual substance and since day one focused on grand promises while avoiding going into the details.

Do we know yet if free games for Pro Subscribers are on a monthly schedule and do we know how many games at a time Pro Subscribers get?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Google's PR around Stadia has always come across as robotic and lacking actual substance and since day one focused on grand promises while avoiding going into the details.

Do we know yet if free games for Pro Subscribers are on a monthly schedule and do we know how many games at a time Pro Subscribers get?

no info on any of that, just rumors of some sort of pass that may give you a library of games, a Netflix of gaming if you will

if you lose your pro subscription you DO lose access to Destiny 2 and Samurai Shodown, you only have those games in your library while your pro sub is payed for - the FE comes with 3 free months. I can 100% confirm this as I returned my FE and lost access to both games within a few hours.

if you lose your pro access you currently completely lose Destiny 2, there is no f2p version on the google store. Hopefully they at least release that when they do their soft launch (???) early next year, although then anyone would be able to play stadia and destiny 2 in 1080p without paying google any money and that seems like its not something google would want? I dunno

May 25, 2019
London
The lead up to and launch of Stadia this year is the closest I've felt to the initial unveiling of the XBox One plans back in the spring of 2013. Just a complete misreading of the market, nonsensical decisions, light on details, a continuous slow drip of bad press, etc.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder where they got that 10.7 Teraflop number from, anyway.
They should have thrown money at Epic Games, Activision and EA to get Fortnite, Call of Duty, and APEX in at launch.
I mean, judging by both the Epic Games Store, and the Android version of Fortnite not being available on Google Play, Epic would sooner make their own streaming service to run Fortnite on.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Good ole phil strikes again.

Dreamcast
Wait, what? He was at Sega too?
No, he wasn't. He left Sony in 2008.

Phil Harrison was at Atari (publishing arm of Infogrames) between 2008-2010. He was tasked to turn things around. The company was losing millions each quarter. They had a (second) big splash 'relaunching' the Atari brand with titles like Alone in the Dark, Star Trek Online, Chronicles of Riddick, Ghostbusters: The Video Game and Test Drive Unlimited 2. It didn't turn out well. In the end the EMEA business of Infogrames was sold off to Bandai Namco.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They should probably tell us what resolution each game can be played if they havent already.
Yes, including the framerate! There is no such info. First report was that RDR2 was 1440p 30fps on Stadia, then someone found out that it was actually 1080p 60fps if you play in a browser and set the quality to balanced (free sub) instead of best (Pro sub).

And then we have the latency differences... On consoles you can listen to what DF say, but we've seen reports on Stadia going from 1 second latency to less than Xbox One X locally.

Google needs to have free game trials for all games, like right now!
There needs to be a way for people to check the quality they'll get at their own homes instead of listening to reports made in some other home or office since things can vary so much depending on a whole array of factors which is completely out of Google's or the dev's control.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the thing is, Cyberpunk 2077 releases in April, some consoles will struggle with it a lot, same goes for PC's. And they kinda try to sell the idea of not having to have the strongest hardware but still get the best experience graphically and frame rate wise, but this isn't happening here so what the hell is going on.

Why can't RDR2 not be 4k 30, 1080/60 locked, or 4k/60 as promised. And why the hell is it Xbox settings? Is it maybe not so easy to port onto this thing? Is google holding back?

Hmm if Cyberpunk is releasing on Stadia at the same time and it isn't achieving better performance than current consoles noone will maintain their Pro subscriptions even if they don't like Cyberpunk. It's too high profile to ignore what it means for games you do like.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
no info on any of that, just rumors of some sort of pass that may give you a library of games, a Netflix of gaming if you will

if you lose your pro subscription you DO lose access to Destiny 2 and Samurai Shodown, you only have those games in your library while your pro sub is payed for - the FE comes with 3 free months. I can 100% confirm this as I returned my FE and lost access to both games within a few hours.

if you lose your pro access you currently completely lose Destiny 2, there is no f2p version on the google store. Hopefully they at least release that when they do their soft launch (???) early next year, although then anyone would be able to play stadia and destiny 2 in 1080p without paying google any money and that seems like its not something google would want? I dunno

Ah thanks, It's insane that Destiny is F2P on every platform except Stadia

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It costs money for google to stream you a game; F2P is something they'll need to figure out down the road but chances are you won't be playing F2P games on a Free version of Stadia for rather obvious reasons.

But Destiny 2 has an F2P VERSION on other platforms, the version that comes w/ Stadia would still cost you quite a bit of money on any other platform.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It costs money for google to stream you a game; F2P is something they'll need to figure out down the road but chances are you won't be playing F2P games on a Free version of Stadia for rather obvious reasons.

But Destiny 2 has an F2P VERSION on other platforms, the version that comes w/ Stadia would still cost you quite a bit of money on any other platform.
Whereas Sony, Microsoft and Valve don't spend any money developing their platforms?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Whereas Sony, Microsoft and Valve don't spend any money developing their platforms?
And Google spent money building their platform.

I suspect you know the difference and are just trolling. There isn't a 10.7 TF machine using resources every second I play Destiny 2 on Steam. Costs Valve 0 cents per hour for me to play on my own machine, costs Google... more than 0 cents per hour.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It costs money for google to stream you a game; F2P is something they'll need to figure out down the road.

Yeah, I realize the expansions cost money, but I for sure thought base Destiny would be available free for everyone.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Google has been super cagey about F2P on Stadia in general. They've yet to answer the question of whether it will even be permitted to play a F2P game on Stadia base. It seems reasonable that they might require EITHER a Pro subscription or some minimum MTX purchase to use it on Base, but they have so far been right lipped. In the case of Destiny the answer is probably that you have to purchase The Collection content, but Destiny is a weird hybrid to begin with, and that wouldn't be viable for true F2P games like Fortnite or Warframe.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
And Google spent money building their platform.

I suspect you know the difference and are just trolling. There isn't a 10.7 TF machine using resources every second I play Destiny 2 on Steam.
If Google chose to build a platform that can't support F2P games when every other equivalent platform does, that's on them. Of course it's a legitimate criticism if they paywall games that are not paywalled on any other platform.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the 1080p stadia run better than the 4K one? Red dead being 60fps on the 1080p vs 1440p/30 on 4K stadia. And what is this "accusing", they straight up did break performance promises.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Google has been super cagey about F2P on Stadia in general. They've yet to answer the question of whether it will even be permitted to play a F2P game on Stadia base. It seems reasonable that they might require EITHER a Pro subscription or some minimum MTX purchase to use it on Base, but they have so far been right lipped. In the case of Destiny the answer is probably that you have to purchase The Collection content, but Destiny is a weird hybrid to begin with, and that wouldn't be viable for true F2P games like Fortnite or Warframe.

Yeah and it's this kind of caginess that makes me wary, Why can't they give straight answers to such basic questions? Why are they launching a service without having these details ironed out?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If Google chose to build a platform that can't support F2P games when every other equivalent platform does, that's on them. Of course it's a legitimate criticism if they paywall games that are not paywalled on any other platform.

Steam is far from "equivalent" to Stadia. xCloud/PSNow are close, and we have no clue if you'll be able to play F2P games endlessly on those platforms for free. Hell for one you can't play F2P games for free on Xbox at all.. you have to pay MS for Gold.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Maybe one way they could minimise latency and compression would be to sell a "mini Stadia blade", a single instance of Stadia hardware that users could connect to their display, so the rendering can be performed locally.

A novel concept, a kind of "console" of some sort that you can buy and connect to your monitor...
Nah. I don't see how that would work ;)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Steam is far from "equivalent" to Stadia. xCloud/PSNow are close, and we have no clue if you'll be able to play F2P games endlessly on those platforms for free. Hell for one you can't play F2P games for free on Xbox at all.. you have to pay MS for Gold.
That's strange, because Google are very much pitching Stadia as a replacement for Playstation/Xbox/Steam etc. I believe the language they used was "The Future of Gaming".

You're incorrect. You can play F2P games on Xbox for free, you only need Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This response is why I know they will fail, they need to go the PS3 after the breach or xbox one under spencer route and apologize and promise to fix the issues not the PS3/Xbox one launch route where you blame everyone else and say they should've known.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's strange, because Google are very much pitching Stadia as a replacement for Playstation/Xbox/Steam etc. I believe the language they used was "The Future of Gaming".

None of which makes the service equivalent no matter how many trolly/bad faith posts you make. Speak plainly dude, your shtick is obnoxious.

You're incorrect. You can play F2P games on Xbox for free, you only need Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer.

That's strange, I thought you had to buy an Xbox? Where do I get my free Xbox because clearly here you are claiming they are free, so send me my free one kind sir. This post is totally not annoying.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
large.jpg

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's like how the PS3 could render every game at 1080p as long as it was as demanding as Pac-Man.

Technically true but not what you lead people on.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
People are surprised Phil "Rumble is a last gen feature" Harrison would lie or obfuscate in a tweet? It's why he keeps getting hired.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
how many free to play games on Xbox don't have multiplayer? Warframe for example would need XBLG to play even though it's "free to play".

I know of Killer Instinct off the top of my head.

None of which makes the service equivalent no matter how many trolly/bad faith posts you make. Speak plainly dude, your shtick is obnoxious.

That's strange, I thought you had to buy an Xbox? Where do I get my free Xbox because clearly here you are claiming they are free, so send me my free one kind sir. This post is totally not annoying.

Yes my point is that Google's messaging is obviously misleading. Stadia can't offer many of the same things that existing gaming platforms can.

I don't think Stadia works without any hardware either? How are you supposed to play without any kind of internet connected device, display and input device?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
So they blame the developers and not themselves? lol
are you blaming nintendo instead of the developers of bloodstained for having a shitty performance?
but essentially, google is dealing right now with a lot of problems getting stadia ready.

the chromecast unit breaks, 4k/60fps not reachable, smartphones do not work, the quality on tv is less than in the browser and the very inconvienient way of putting everything together.
i forgot, there are so many functions coming next year...

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
"Stadia streams at 4K and 60 FPS - and that includes all aspects of our graphics pipeline from game to screen: GPU, encoder and Chromecast Ultra all outputting at 4k to 4k TVs, with the appropriate internet connection."

I don't know how you read that as anything other than this thing supposedly being 4K 60fps from start to finish...only it's not, and that's from their REPLY to being questioned about it, which is when they should be their most honest about it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
how many free to play games on Xbox don't have multiplayer? Warframe for example would need XBLG to play even though it's "free to play".

There's more than you'd think. Fallout Shelter, Killer Instinct, Phantom Dust, Powerstar Golf, Fishing Planet, Path of Exile, Pinball FX, Fable Fortune etc. That's just from a quick scan of the Top Free Games list they put out weekly. Lewie is right, Gold is required for online multiplayer, whatever the cost of the game. Free games on Xbox don't require Gold by default. Only if they have online multiplayer.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

The hypocrisy of you claiming Lewie is trolling/arguing in bad faith when that's all you've been doing is kinda hilarious.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The hypocrisy of you claiming Lewie is trolling/arguing in bad faith when that's all you've been doing is kinda hilarious.
What are you talking about? What trolling or arguing in bad faith have I done?

Other than that post you quoted.. which the entire point of that was to show Lewie how annoying it is.

Like you better have something to back that up, what on earth?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? What trolling or arguing in bad faith have I done?

Other than that post you quoted.. which the entire point of that was to show Lewie how annoying it is.
You weren't arguing in bad faith or trolling when you claimed that other services you play games on don't qualify as "equivalent services" to Stadia? Or "There isn't a 10.7 TF machine using resources every second I play Destiny 2 on Steam."?

I assumed they were either trolling or bad faith and not just really terrible arguments that someone actually believed. My bad.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You weren't arguing in bad faith or trolling when you claimed that other services you play games on don't qualify as "equivalent services" to Stadia?

Or "There isn't a 10.7 TF machine using resources every second I play Destiny 2 on Steam."?

I assumed they were either trolling or bad faith and not just really terrible arguments that someone actually believed. My bad.

I'm pointing out that Steam isn't a game streaming platform.. so it isn't equivalent to Stadia.

How on earth is that a "terrible argument" or trolling?

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There's more than you'd think. Fallout Shelter, Killer Instinct, Phantom Dust, Powerstar Golf, Fishing Planet, Path of Exile, Pinball FX, Fable Fortune etc. That's just from a quick scan of the Top Free Games list they put out weekly. Lewie is right, Gold is required for online multiplayer, whatever the cost of the game. Free games on Xbox don't require Gold by default. Only if they have online multiplayer.

I guess the optics from our side comes from the majority of the free to play titles being centered around online play. Most of the games I find though it seems like the online play is a central focus and they have options for limited amount of the game in offline mode.

Most peoples thoughts when it comes to free to play games on xbox would think something like Roblox, Fortnite or Apex, which are all going to be XBLG required. Sort of muddies the waters in how we see the requirements in place.

Cool to see the single player stuff grow in the F2P market, hopefully we get an industry standard where memberships aren't required for anything marked as Free 🙏

he had nothing to do with Dreamcast, that was Peter Moore

And nobody better be talking shit about the dreamcast or tattoo boy over here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pointing out that Steam isn't a game streaming platform.. so it isn't equivelant to Stadia.

How on earth is that a "terrible argument" or trolling?
Because LewieP's point wasn't that the other platforms Destiny is on are streaming platforms, it was that it's F2P on them and that Stadia is still trying to compete with those, not just other streaming ones. The equivalency wasn't their tech it was their result.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Because LewieP's point wasn't that the other platforms Destiny is on are streaming platforms, it was that it's F2P on them and that Stadia is still trying to compete with those, not just other streaming ones. The equivalency wasn't their tech it was their result.
And I'm pointing out the vast difference between Steam and Stadia and why it's a likely reason Google isn't jumping to throw F2P games on it.

I'm well aware that Lewie P is aware of these differences, and is pretending they don't exist.. aka posting in bad faith... why are you accusing me of trolling again?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see the single player stuff grow in the F2P market, hopefully we get an industry standard where memberships aren't required for anything marked as Free 🙏

I think that's the way to look at it. If a game is free, then online multiplayer should also be free in it.

Even if you don't sub to Gold you can technically still download and start Apex or Fortnite or whatever. It'll just stop you when you try to load into a multiplayer game! I know it's semantics but...

Online mulitplayer requires Gold as it has since XBL started in 2002 or whatever. Doesn't matter what the game costs. If it cost $60 or $20 or if it was free. You need Gold to play online with others.
Gold is not required for free to play games if it doesn't have multiplayer.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm pointing out the vast difference between Steam and Stadia and why it's a likely reason Google isn't jumping to throw F2P games on it.

I'm well aware that Lewie P is aware of these differences, and is pretending they don't exist.. aka posting in bad faith... why are you accusing me of trolling again?
There's nothing bad faith about saying that it's an issue if Stadia can't deliver the same thing as the systems it's trying to compete with. You're bending over backwards to try and justify your point on this which is why I assumed you were trolling.

Nobody is ignoring the reasoning behind it from you, it's just irrelevant. The end result is the same.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game: 1080p 60fps

— Shahid Kamal Ahmad (@shahidkamal)