Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So how does Stadia compare to PSNow and xbox gamepass?? Anybody on era do a comparison?? So I have to pay $9.99 and buy the games?? Unless Stadia gets exclsuives from Sony or Xbox, prefer PSNow and Gamepass

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's more expensive than PS Now which people didn't like with a significantly smaller library. Not even all 31 games are included in this, right?
31 games that you need to purchase each one separatedly from the subscription price.

So how does Stadia compare to PSNow and xbox gamepass?? Anybody on era do a comparison?? So I have to pay $9.99 and buy the games?? Unless Stadia gets exclsuives from Sony or Xbox, prefer PSNow and Gamepass
In PS Now you pay the subscription and get 700+ games. In GamePass you pay the subscription and get 100+ games. In Stadia you pay the subscription and get 1 game (Destiny 2, seems they'll add more or change it over time, maybe like in PS+/Gold), if you want one of the other 31 available games on Stadia you have to purchase them separatedly, but you can skip the subscription if not interested on Destiny 2 or in using over 1080p streaming.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I just learned something Google should have made a much bigger deal about: Baldur's Gate 3 is an exclusive. In that it's launching the same day as Stadia, and will only be on Stadia and PC at launch.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's interesting that the controller connects with the server directly or something like that, so maybe that would help with latency. Hopefully, it will be at E3 so we can get a better idea of what its performance looks like.
Yea I wouldn't use it without that controller as I would want the lowest input lag possible. Will be interesting to see the difference between the official controller and the lag of that on one that isn't connected straight to the server.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I will definitely pick up that bundle!

Love myself some new toys and gaming platform, and the risk v. reward is so low might aswell!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You pay monthly a fee.
You have to pay for the game you want to play
Main thing of the system is streaming
600 bucks for 5 years gaming with 4K and for games you have to pay like on consoles.

Yep this is the future if you have a big wallet.

I have to pay for a console and I have to pay a monthly fee and I have to pay for the game I want to play on Sony/MS consoles too.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Yeah, not entirely sure. I'm on my PC which is decent and I'm hardwired in not using wifi or anything. I should probably check my laptop away from my modem to see what it's like.

Replying to myself. Ok, I turned off some stuff that was eating bandwidth I guess and got something a lot better.

"Based on your current download speed of 227.885 Mbps, we expect you'll have a high-performance gaming experience on Stadia. Go back to the Google Store. "

Guess it just fluctuates based on what is actually using the internet. I have 4 additional people gaming/streaming content at same time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No, you don't have to pay $9.99, Stadia is free for 1080p/30fps/stereo gaming. And it has brand new AAA games, not just old games like those services. And it does have console exclusives.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people that this is marketed towards will mainly want the subscription based model. No gamer is going to want only 1080p, especially with how prevalent 4K TVs are (and cheap).

Oh I agree. OnLive was a half-baked idea that never was fully realized and released at a time when internet connectivity was even worse; that's still not saying much though. I also remember how much a factor connection nodes had as well. So if you didn't live near one, you tended to have higher latency and more input lag. This service might be passable for casual games, but anything like a shooter, or competitive game (i.e. Rocket League), this still won't work until the proper infrastructure is in place, and like I said earlier, I don't see happening in our lifetime.

"Forever" is a long time. I think what you're actually going to see is a generation of kids raised in a streaming world, for them this will just be normal and standard, they won't have a view of console gaming in the way you do.

They will probably laugh at the idea of hardwired game consoles one day to be honest, just like if you try to explain the concept of Blockbuster Video to a kid today they'll just look at you with blank stares.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Let's check back on Sunday after MS announces details for xCloud.
You think MS will offer new games in a netflix style subscription?

If so we need to talk about this bridge I have to sell : )

Older games, maybe and Google cannot compete with that as Stadia is a brand new platform

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Older games, maybe and Google cannot compete with that as Stadia is a brand new platform

I mean, they already offer all MS first party in Game Pass for $9.99 so I don't know what you're getting at.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
No gamer is going to want only 1080p

resolution.png

... the next highest is 1366x768....

gamers.

SmAsH

Oct 25, 2017
"Forever" is a long time. I think what you're actually going to see is a generation of kids raised in a streaming world, for them this will just be normal and standard, they won't have a view of console gaming in the way you do.

They will probably laugh at the idea of hardwired game consoles one day to be honest, just like if you try to explain the concept of Blockbuster Video to a kid today they'll just look at you with blank stares.

Maybe, but the market is dictated by many factors than just what kids might want (i.e. people with actual purchasing power), and don't get me wrong streaming games will most likely become the norm, BUT, only when the infrastructure is in place to support it properly. We still don't have proper coverage across North America, never mind the rest of the world. Which leads me to make an assumption that this is marketed towards a very dedicated percentage of gamers, nothing with mass appeal.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The key word here was standalone, in that I expected a relatively plug and play user experience.
Not something that requires a phone to set it up.
Sounds like it's just for syncing though and specifically for that controller. The Stadia controller connects straight to your wi-fi to reduce input lag so it needs an interface to do that (the app). You can use a regular controller (PS4, Xbox, whatever) as long as it syncs to your device via bluetooth (or plaugs in) and you wouldn't need the app.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they already offer all MS first party in Game Pass for $9.99 so I don't know what you're getting at.

First party only. 3rd party games don't release on gamepass day one. Why did you expect Stadia to do it? Publishers wouldn't allow their games to release day one on a subscription model.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Since the topic is moving so fast...) have they said anything about the games you get access to for 'free' on Pro. Is it like PSN where once you go to the free model you lose them? They only mention that you keep your paid titles.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Very curious about this. Hopefully they will do some sort of demo where you can try the service before you buy a game.

If it works well I can't see how this won't be amazing for many people; 9.99 a month is a steal to play at 4K/60.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but the market is dictated by many factors than just what kids might want (i.e. people with actual purchasing power), and don't get me wrong streaming games will most likely become the norm, BUT, only when the infrastructure is in place to support it properly. We still don't have proper coverage across North America, never mind the rest of the world.

I hear this argument a lot, but likely even right now, today, this very moment, the number of people who have decent enough internet likely outnumbers the number of people who will ever own a PS5/XB2 (and it will take those systems *years* to get to 80 million even).

Every day, faster and faster internet is available to more and more people.

When 5G comes into the mainstream ... that number is going to skyrocket to boot.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's still absolute dog shit, let's be real here. Internet caps still exist, shitty ISPs and shoddy connections still exist, the infrastructure is getting better, and I agree it is better than what it was, especially when OnLive launched. Let's be real here though, we still have a long way to go, and way too many hurdles that need to be looked into. As I mentioned above, connection nodes and input lag is a huge factor in game streaming services. I don't see this panning out beyond casual games.
I disagree about the state of internet. I live way out in the middle of nowhere, and we now have att fiber and the guy who installed it said they were adding it up and down just about every street across my state and neighboring ones. High end fiber connections that go all the way up to 1/1 GB and unlimited data. It's like a revolution of data coming in and now is the time for this change.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati

If it is bundled with PC gamepass, then yeah. All first party games coming out day of release on PC plus the rotating library. I think PC game pass is only 10 bucks. So, better library to start, all first party games coming. For first year or two, I think xbox will have a far better offering. We'll see on Sunday.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The key word here was standalone, in that I expected a relatively plug and play user experience.
Not something that requires a phone to set it up.

The Controller needs to be set up with something in order to use as it doesn't have a screen. Makes sense Google would use Home.

Controller connects with wifi which connects with the Stadia Server directly.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking all new games which seems to be the thought on Stadia. They just created their first party studio so obviously this cannot be offered

People who thought ALL new games would be part of Stadia Pro were delusional. Stadia first party being included would just match what MS is doing and would make a lot of sense.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Except a successful major technological disruption isn't enough per se, for a shift to happen, there also needs to be a major pricing and/or distribution disruption that will drive adoption.

Right now, they're definitely not there. This is far from ubiquitous at launch, and there's no remarkable incentive in that price structure.

Right now, Microsoft is probably better positioned to make that disruption happen.

The Controller needs to be set up with something in order to use as it doesn't have a screen. Makes sense Google would use Home.

Controller connects with wifi which connects with the Stadia Server directly.
This is a supply side view, a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. I don't remember having to use a mobile app to set up any of the 7 devices connected to my tv.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I know I'm not the market for this, but that presentation really left me completely cold. I just don't really see any logical reason to invest in this.

Maybe perhaps a good way to dip your toes in on games that you are on the fence about? But then again, we also don't know the extent to which games are going to be available on the platform yet. What they showed really did not grab me in the slightest though.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
(Since the topic is moving so fast...) have they said anything about the games you get access to for 'free' on Pro. Is it like PSN where once you go to the free model you lose them? They only mention that you keep your paid titles.

I don't think they've outright said. People are assuming that you'll lose them after you stop your pro sub.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except a successful major technological disruption isn't enough per se, for a shift to happen, there also needs to be a major pricing and/or distribution disruption that will drive adoption.

Right now, they're definitely not there. This is far from ubiquitous at launch, and there's no remarkable incentive in that price structure.

Right now, Microsoft is probably better positioned to make that disruption happen.

Right now is just the very beginning though. Like I said it's like making a big fuss that Disneyland wasn't perfect on day 1 ... it did eventually grow to match it's original concept and exceed it. But you have to at least build the basis for the park first and get it open, then you can improve it and iterate upon it.

MS may well be in the driver's seat, but even there Google serves a valuable role in that they likely are pushing Microsoft to take this very seriously because if they don't, well then you're just asking Google to take over that part of the market.

Stadia launching and working for consumers, even if its not perfect, is a big deal. It's the first domino that can set off a lot of other dominos after it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Free is 1080p 30fps (not 60).

From the official FAQ
"What is the quality Stadia will stream content at?
Stadia will be able to stream games up to 4K HDR and 60 FPS quality for Stadia Pro subscribers. Non-subscribers can stream games up to 1080p and 30 FPS. Like any other Internet streaming experience, hig

I don't know where you found that FAQ but it directly contradicts what is written on their preorder page pertaining to Base. It literally says, 60 FPS and is available to see in the OP.

Can somebody alot smarter than me explain this to me and what I'm missing.

speedtest says I have this speed

and google says I have this speed

There seems to be a difference of 220 Mbps?

I got around 275Mbps on a gigabit fiber op in Eastern Canada. I am guessing here but it could be that these are google's own servers as opposed to when you run speed tests that locates the closest generic local servers (that supports the test). Furthermore, it is unknown whether the google servers are also rerouting via other local servers which could impact speed and latency.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You get just one game: Destiny 2, and seems they may add more in the future (so maybe they do somehting like PS+). They mention that you keep the games purchased when you stop paying, so I assume that you lose the game(s) you got with the subscription once you stop paying it.

The subscription sounds more PS+ than PS Now.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Seems a huge meh so far. ""At launch, if you're a Stadia user, you can play Stadia exclusively on Pixel 3 and 3a devices. ". Yeah....

Plus, its unclear for $10/month which games are included and included vs paid. At least I couldn't find the list but admittedly didn't search particularly hard. Plus they make you pay $130 for the bullshit kit to start and on mobile only Pixel phones are covered.

I am somewhat more excited toward MS announcement now since it got to be better vs this one.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If it is bundled with PC gamepass, then yeah. All first party games coming out day of release on PC plus the rotating library. I think PC game pass is only 10 bucks. So, better library to start, all first party games coming. For first year or two, I think xbox will have a far better offering. We'll see on Sunday.
First party, it is impossible for Google to compete on that front.

The real competition will be next gen, my understanding is Stadia datacenter servers will be much easier to upgrade

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What I wanted to see more of was what they showed during the first reveal. How they jumped from a gameplay stream of AC right into the game without any loading. So will this mean no more loading times then?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
People will undoubtedly shit on the price but you could get like ten YEARS of Stadia for the price of a similarly specced gaming PC. Assuming you have a rock-solid connection and don't really care about offline potential, it's theoretically a good deal.

Again, though, there's a lot of assumptions built into this calculaion, namely a highly stable connection on your end as well as Google's, and the longevity and success of Stadia itself.
Rock solid connection, NO caps and don't mind image quality to be lower. That said, yes, it could work for folks like that and also for people who travel a lot. That's a real winner, especially if Google lets you say stream from UK when you travel there from US and vice-versa.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You get just one game: Destiny 2, and seems they may add more in the future (so maybe they do somehting like PS+). They mention that you keep the games purchased when you stop paying, so I assume that you lose the game(s) you got with the subscription once you stop paying it.

The subscription sounds more PS+ than PS Now.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking too, but of course these fine details have people confused.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
As a college student, this looks like it could be a great investment for me since I can't lug my gaming desktop to school.

My biggest concern is if titles are full-price on Stadia, I'm wary that we'll actually have lifetime access to them. I mean especially with all the stuff happening with Telltale right now... I'm pretty nervous. If Google decides to cut the cord on Stadia one day, won't we just lose all our games?

illrated

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, preordered. I already do this with Parsec and my gaming PC but i was looking into getting a chromecast ultra anyways so another sixty for the controller and 3 months sub isnt too bad of a deal.

Oct 29, 2017
To me personally, the only use this would be is if I could play the more niche PC exclusive titles, not available on console, if such games will ever come to the platform.

I can see what Google are going for, but Im sceptical whether there will be a large enough audience at this point in time. I see PS Now as a better offer, but neither is for me.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
First party, it is impossible for Google to compete on that front.

The real competition will be next gen, my understanding is Stadia datacenter servers will be much easier to upgrade

I agree, that's why I threw in the first few years. However, I don't trust Google much these days with how quickly they kill stuff. I'd think it would take 1 generation to get their foot in the door. Let's see if they make it to the next gen.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

The free library comes with the Pro sub. When you unsub you will lose access to the free library that comes from the Pro sub.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Can someone tell me what Stadia Base is supposed to be over Stadia Pro?

If Stadia is 9.99 a month with Stadia Pro, What is Stadia Base??

I can just buy the game on Stadia and play it, or.....

I think I'll stick with the Switch and PS4 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.