ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Read the text under that image; my actual speed is nowhere near that, lol. I pay for "up to 100Mbps" or something but I'm lucky if I get like a 10th of that when it's at its best. I'm assuming a 20Mbps speed in the OP purely for argument's sake.
How do you get 100+ Mbps speed tests but never see actual download speeds beyond 10 Mbps? Do you have Steam or Origin? Those stores almost always max out my download speeds.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
I'm really excited for the technology. If the console manufacturers offer a streaming only device then I'll be getting it and putting more money into my PC or buying games.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm looking forward to the streaming future. As long as there's a datacenter in Southeast Asia, I'm in.

Internet speed is getting better (and cheaper) each year anyway, at least in my country.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something is incredibly wrong with your home network if you only see 10Mbps downloads and get 180Mbps on a speed test.

You know the difference between MB/s and Mbps right?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Not really interested in the streaming future because google sure ain't as fuck putting putting in a server setup for a ~300k metro area and will tell me to connect to Chicago or pound dirt

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
In actuality, I've never personally seen a download speed in my house higher than 10Mbps – which still meets the "minimum speed" Google has set for Project Stream.

Something is incredibly wrong with your home network if you only see 10Mbps downloads and get 180Mbps on a speed test.

You know the difference between MB/s and Mbps right?

Yes, I am almost certain the OP has confused these terms.

It is not likely that Google's speed test is lying here. you probably have a 180Mb+ connection, which is significantly better than the average internet connection in the US.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is a fight you're gonna lose.

Im telling you man. People need to listen to the OP.

Then imagine the rumors of Microsoft selling a "light console" that's around $100 but has hardware in it to reduce latency even further. Take the latency the OP experienced on a wired controller and cut it in HALF and tell me there wont be a segment of the world that would love to buy a "console" for as much as $300 cheaper than the full local console model and pay ~$5 to "rent" games here and there.

That shit would absolutely explode saleswise, and tracking console success/sales would never be the same. Folks really need to think of the people that make up the BULK of console buyers. They arent the hardcore with 20 titles, they are the guy who only buys Madden, 2k, GTA and a random mainstream AAA here and there. Those folks would eat this stuff up if the latency is brought in line. 1080p/30fps would be perfectly fine for them in their eyes.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im telling you man. People need to listen to the OP.

Then imagine the rumors of Microsoft selling a "light console" that's around $100 but has hardware in it to reduce latency even further. Take the latency the OP experienced on a wired controller and cut it in HALF and tell me there wont be a segment of the world that would love to buy a "console" for as much as $300 cheaper than the full local console model and pay ~$5 to "rent" games here and there.

That shit would absolutely explode saleswise, and tracking console success/sales would never be the same. Folks really need to think of the people that make up the BULK of console buyers. They arent the hardcore with 20 titles, they are the guy who only buys Madden, 2k, GTA and a random mainstream AAA here and there. Those folks would eat this stuff up if the latency is brought in line. 1080p/30fps would be perfectly fine for them in their eyes.

I think that box is meant to move their console base over smoothly. Stream to browser/any device is where the new users are going to come from.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Here's my problem with all these streaming impression threads/articles: it always comes down to, how good is the streaming experience relative to the local hardware experience? And local hardware wins, every single time.

"I could hardly even notice I was streaming... Only some noticeable latency..." Insert other streaming specific problems here. At best it can come close to local hardware, and undeniably the tech behind it will continue to improve. But streaming is always going to have problems that local hardware doesn't have.
Streaming only comes off as something that I'd do if I was travelling. At home, never.

Also a major roadblock I see almost no one discussing is the net neutrality repeal in the U.S. Where were these gaming companies when that was going down months ago? Seemed like silence across the board. Now they want to push extremely data heavy streaming services when ISPs have the freedom to fuck with traffic as they see fit. The timing is terrible.

Edit: I should add I understand that once these services get "good enough" for most people, even if they don't 100% match the local hardware experience, they will probably take off. Convenience will probably win out, although that is rather unfortunate.

Still, thanks for the impressions OP.

Last edited:

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
i got my invite yesterday and I must say I'm very surprised. I was pretty skeptical that it would provide a good experience, but it played very well. The lag was minimal and the graphics looked pretty great on a wired line. I had quite a bit of artifacting when I was playing it on my laptop using wifi when i was far away from my AP (packet loss), but it looked great when i was connected via ethernet or when I moved closer to my AP.

However, i don't think its running at the highest PC setting. I noticed that there were no shadows to any of the objects and there wasn't any way to adjust the graphics that I could find.

It ran at a pretty smooth 30fps however. I don't think it was running at 60fps.

For a beta, color me impressed.

I was planning on buying ACO for my average PC (gtx 1060, 4 core CPU), but not anymore. This experience is good enough for me.

Last edited:

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played a little last night.

Latency was surprisingly not an issue but the image quality was maybe one step above a twitch stream. It was OK if a little fuzzy when I was stationary or moving straight forward, but any camera panning resulted in an insane amount of artifacting. Colors also seemed quite flat. I play on a 1440p monitor so I'm not sure if it was trying to give me a video stream higher than 1080p.

I am in NYC and have 400mbps internet wired to my PC.

This would be great for playing ps3/360 era games, but I'll stick to local rendering for new games for now.

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
The real issue is how the 10gbit switches and cards are way too expensive.

10gbit up and down here is 69.99 in usd. That's fine.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Bananas.
I've been waiting for this future for quite some time. Glad to see that the tech is holding up. I'm hoping I can still get into the Beta to try it out myself.
Oh and 100% agree with your GHG ...I don't care for ownership...I just care that I can play something and if it's gone later...no worries, there's probably something else I can play. It's not like gaming is starved right now.

Feb 10, 2018
Anyone who thinks game streaming is not going to be big is pretty ignorant.
Like the people who doubted video streaming.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
PS now is fine with good internet. I get 100 down and have zero issues. I'll still be getting a dedicated hardware console, but a streaming box or tablet is a good option.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
OP if that image is correct you are located in or around New York....I'm gonna guess the servers are close by and I really wonder what it would be like for people in Ohio or Utah. I just can't jive with giving all this control to the corporations and I wouldn't be surprised if in 25 years streaming will be the only option I really don't see any positives imo....I have no need to game on the go and as a PC gamer I truly can't imagine the community taking to the positively. Hopefully people fight this..... options are good but I'm afraid of the slop.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm super curious to try whatever Microsoft is cooking up.

The idea of being able to access my games everywhere in high quality is a great one assuming they get the latency right.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the mumbo jumbo about your internet speed. It's normal for Comcast to be giving you slightly more than you pay for.
There's no reason to think you aren't actually getting that speed.
If Comcast is throttling anything, it's Netflix .
Use fast.com for speedtest as it uses Netflix servers.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah streaming isn't happening in my area where the "luxury" internet is $80 5mbps down and .3mbps up.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Can I ask a question that's probably stupid. The average console gamer, what would you guess the lag is on their TV, 40ms maybe.

So how does that compare to a computer monitor, laptop screen, tablet or mobile?

Would concentrating on eliminating the screen lag not give that 40ms extra back for game streaming?

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Don't give in to streaming. These pubs only want it so they can eventually stop paying MS/Sony the 30% cut and also take away the idea of owning games. It has 0 benefit to us consumers at the end of the day.

I would bet that the majority of gamers don't really care about game ownership. I personally don't.

Maybe there is a vocal minority that does, but that isn't going to hinder the success of streaming. If they get the technicals right and provide an experience that is close to the actual thing, it will be successful.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Well let's test my internet on this cheating Google site

2dBZJnS_d.jpg

And since it's some kinda cheat to make my speed look good I'll just cut my results by 10, like you did

So let's say I have 1 down, .08 up

Yeah the streaming future is now

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to accept that streaming tech is good enough until it can be demonstrated that VR games can be played using it without making people sick, and it works that well 100% of the time.

That's a pretty weird benchmark to have for a product not aimed at VR gaming. :P

I don't think anyone expects streaming to actually work for VR. (If they do, they're crazy IMO.)

With a wired controller, input lag was more than halved. Shocking, I know. This made it even harder for me to time; but it was certainly still there, and above the 7-9ms Google says is due to my ISP. Latency with this optimal input method was somewhere between 20 and 25ms. This means that, using a controller, the overall input latency of the beta was somewhere between 20 and 50ms in my first experience. Not bad at all.

If this was measuring total rather than additional latency (ie, with latency inherent in the game + your display excluded), it would be truly incredible, but I'd need to see actual tests to believe it.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This morning I streamed the game to Chrome then streamed my PC to my iPhone. Played pretty well for me. Better quality than when streaming my Xbox, that sits two feet away, to my PC.

I like the idea of tying this kind of streaming to a subscription service like gamepass, where installing them all is obnoxious and they aren't the gems I'm purchasing to keep forever / want to look as nice and smooth as possible.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Well let's test my internet on this cheating Google site

2dBZJnS_d.jpg

And since it's some kinda cheat to make my speed look good I'll just cut my results by 10, like you did

So let's say I have 1 down, .08 up

Yeah the streaming future is now

well obviously you don't meet the requirements for this. There are plenty of people that do...

So yes, for the people that meet the minimum requirements, it is the future.

For you, stick with console gaming and pc gaming.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
well obviously you don't meet the requirements for this. There are plenty of people that do...

Average means half. And if 80 percent of people have 2mb down, and 20 percent have 20mb down, that averages out to "the average amount of people meeting requirements"

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Average means half. And if 80 percent of people have 2mb down, and 20 percent have 20mb down, that averages out to "the average amount of people meeting requirements"

I feel that latency is more important than bandwidth. 25 megs isn't all that rare these days. The more important thing is low latency and with google having servers everywhere, they can stream the games from anywhere in the country (world) and have low latency.

In fact, the input lag from project stream is pretty comparable to the input lag I experience using local streaming with my steam link device, which is perfectly acceptable to me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm 100% onboard with Streaming and people can like it or not, it's the Future of Gaming. So very happy too see Project Stream is promising. I'll be there on day 1.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

the issue with this is the worry that companies will double down on streaming and people who don't have the internet for it will miss out since they'll leave console gaming and pc gaming by the wayside. Obviously not initially, but it will happen at some point and I have no faith in US telecom companies to keep up with that.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
If this was measuring total rather than additional latency (ie, with latency inherent in the game + your display excluded), it would be truly incredible, but I'd need to see actual tests to believe it.

If it is running at 30fps I don't think it's even possible to have 25ms latency. I'd be very surprised if it was less than 50ms total latency overall.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
the issue with this is the worry that companies will double down on streaming and people who don't have the internet for it will miss out since they'll leave console gaming and pc gaming by the wayside. Obviously not initially, but it will happen at some point and I have no faith in US telecom companies to keep up with that.

thats probably a valid concern, but the game does actually have to run on real hardware so at the very least, you'll have a pc version to play locally.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
thats probably a valid concern, but the game does actually have to run on real hardware so at the very least, you'll have a pc version to play locally.
fair enough. It's just frustrating to see people who live in metropolitan areas with easily accessible 100mbps internet say that of course the infrastructure is there when most of the US is very very far from it.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Don't give in to streaming. These pubs only want it so they can eventually stop paying MS/Sony the 30% cut and also take away the idea of owning games. It has 0 benefit to us consumers at the end of the day.
I shudder at the thought of not being able to pay Sony/MS their well deserved 30%... ;)

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
fair enough. It's just frustrating to see people who live in metropolitan areas with easily accessible 100mbps internet say that of course the infrastructure is there when most of the US is very very far from it.

I feel yah. I'm in california bay area, so I have 150mbps.

I'm all in for streaming. :-)

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shudder at the thought of not being able to pay Sony/MS their well deserved 30%... ;)

It's not about them getting their cut it's about everyone else breaking off and having their own service. I'd much rather have 2 solutions that work well than 15 that don't like we do now on PC.

The 30% cut is the pubs motivation for seeking another alternative.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gigabit low latency internet provider here but sadly I don't live in USA :(
So I will wait till will be available in europe, hope soon.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a game changer. Who wants to wait to download the game? Click and play.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm in the Project Stream beta with 200 down and 16 up and I am surprised and enthused by the results. I think having the option to stream is going to be great, going forward. If I can log in to Destiny and do some daily shit on my phone? Hell yeah. But when I want to do something like a raid or PVP, I want to be able to play on a powerful native machine.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
It would be Bananas of me to read your entire post while at work, but I read 90% of it! Thanks for the impressions! I'm surprised the controller being wired or not had that much of a difference. I'm pretty sure that difference isn't there with GeForce Now. Maybe I'll sign up for this beta!